Re: Server load issues in the last 48 hours

No, I'm asking you what more can they do, other then continue to work on it until it's fixed?

Arga wrote:

Tulip. Not sure what more the Dev's can do for customer service? The server is actually up and running, it's just full.

http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … h_1200.png

They can Buy More Bandwidth ... just a thought

Spawnster wrote:
Neoxx wrote:
Spawnster wrote:

So your telling me the server can only hold 350 people after i payed for a month? so the lag thing is realy YOU don't have the bandwidth to handle players... Just say it! stop calling it lag. its you DO NOT have the bandwidth.

Come on, thats not even a very good troll.

Its not a Troll... Do you know what bandwidth is? it would seem i am correct. if you dont have enough of it lots of people cant log in... just like any other INTERNET GAME no bandwidth = 350 players end of story.

dude chill out, sounds like your gonna cry

Arga wrote:

No, I'm asking you what more can they do, other then continue to work on it until it's fixed?

Seriously... READ THE THREAD... ITS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM... roll

Spawnster wrote:

Its not a Troll... Do you know what bandwidth is? it would seem i am correct. if you dont have enough of it lots of people cant log in... just like any other INTERNET GAME no bandwidth = 350 players end of story.

Except the physical hardware can take a lot more than 350 - 400 people.
The main game server (i.e. running around, spawning stuff, shooting people in the face, etc) can take more than 350 - 400 people.
It's the machine dealing with the market/chat system that's struggling.  However that machine is only at 2% load according to the Dev's.

BoyC was quite honest (when I was in chat over the weekend) that this is something they, the Dev's, have broken in the software.  So they're fixing it.  But as with most software issues it's figuring out where the bug has appeared then how to fix it with out the little sod jumping else where.  Unfortunatley doing that right takes time.

If it were a simple "we need to upgrade our bandwidth with the carrier" problem then the lag would not be comming from one specific element of their system; you'd have lag all over the place.  Having been in the game when it had 500+ in it and the bug began manifesting I can atest that moving around and shooting things was a-ok.  Couldn't talk to anyone or buy/sell/get assignment for love nor money though.

So no.  It's not bandwidth.

Spawnster wrote:
Neoxx wrote:
Spawnster wrote:

So your telling me the server can only hold 350 people after i payed for a month? so the lag thing is realy YOU don't have the bandwidth to handle players... Just say it! stop calling it lag. its you DO NOT have the bandwidth.

Come on, thats not even a very good troll.

Sadly the world of computing sciences is not all kind of magic, and it is nowhere near as simple. Even if it seems it is.

I don't care about being able to login, I just want my Hello Kitty paint scheme. smile

It's not a problem, the thread is 230 posts long, if we have to repeat ourselves it's OK.

Spawn - The dev's have already tried a number of patches over the last couple days, but it wasn't until yesterday that they finally figured out exactly what the code issue was.

seriously, devs are goin home ?

How about working in shifts so *** gets done. Little progress is better than none at all.

I feel boned again . Just like with every other indie sandbox I have played...

Oh well, at least its only 9 euero´s lost this time.

I should learn to not pay up before things work.

roll

So, I think this thread will probably break the forums too, as it's probably going to hit 500 posts soon smile

Quick summary once again:

1. It's a server software problem. Not OS, not hardware, not network, it's 100% our fault. Trust us on this one, this is why we're working on a fix. I'm quite sure that CRM is itching to elaborate on the bug in a future devblog entry.
2. The server cap is temporary and it fluctuates depending on how dodgy the server is. It will be removed once we fix the problem. The other options are to a) lift the cap and deliver the game unplayable for everyone or b) shut the whole thing down.
3. We plan to reimburse time lost (currently clocking at 3-4 days) due to the server cap. That includes both trial and subscribed.
4. We're doing our best to update you guys about what's going on, but at the same time, going "nope, not yet" every 5 minutes is also pretty pointless. There's usually a DEV or GM both in game or on IRC to update you on the ongoings.

So far we've put out a patch every day since Saturday, each with the hopes to fix the problem, and while we got closer to the end result, we failed to identify what the problem was. (That said, these fixes will remain in the server.) We currently have a pretty good idea on what the actual problem is, and we're really just looking for confirmation before shutting the server down to patch it out. Hopefully still today.

This is as embarrassing for us as it may seem, and I'm not sure being blindsided by the flock of users is even a good excuse, but that's all the power of hindsight. All we can do now is work as hard as we can to fix the whole thing as soon as possible.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Jez DeLaney wrote:

Can everyone just remain calm?  It won't be long before this little episode will be a distant memory, and the long-term effect of it will be a much larger playerbase.  Isn't that worth a few days of server naughtiness?

How About they NEED more bandwidth, and JUST maybe there in a location where they CANT upgrade, they still took my 10 dollars knowing they could not handle the players. SO what does that tell you. ALSO a mmo that is only holding 350 players???? you got to be kidding me. 350, but there still taking peoples money. I want a refund NOW.

EvE Bitter Vet here - not yet a Nex member.

I am getting frustrating when I try to log on, I am thwarted by the population cap. 

The good news is that it appears there is a devoted dev team in this game.  This can only be good, so I have to keep telling myself to be patient, and let these guys figure out a solution <while I continue to spam the login button>.

Simultaneously, I ponder the affects of so many EvE players entering the Perpetuum populace.  It's akin to 100K American GI's being stationed at some little backwater town in a 3rd world country.  Our EvE-centric culture will definitely affect the big picture.  I for one want to be a respectful tourist in our new world.

I do have to comment that I don't see PvP here without better mouse/keyboard responsiveness.  I come from the Team Fortress II environment as well as EvE.  The mouse interaction is okay for PvE, but I'm thinking I need to figure out hotkeys (or something) cuz the existing mouse interface is gonna get me killed fast.  In fact, I would call it "completely bogus".  But, I am hoping it's my fault, and that I simply have to learn more about hotkeys and/or other techniques of UI acceleration.  For example: right-click to get context menu - forced to double left click multiple times to invoke action item IF BIG IF the mouse action actually works.  Like I said, I think I'm doing something wrong.

Case study - Firing on NPC - double left click opponent (if lucky, it will primary that target - if unlucky, keep clicking and/or invoke mouse until target primary'ed.  Hit space bar to fire all weapons and/or use mouse to left click individual weapons when space bar function for some reason will not result in all weapons firing.  Like I said, this is okay for PvE, but in PvP = rapid defeat/death/buy new mech.

So far, I do like the environment, but mechanics can be improved greatly IMHO.  Navigation is non-intuitive and really needs work, again, maybe I'm stupid about efficient game mechanics - I'll give this one some more learning curve.  Ability to multitask is good : example - primary a target, lock a secondary target, approach drop container and open while firing on primary - focus automatically goes to formerly secondary target (if secondary target is previously selected)  - one click to primary - space bar to fire - wash, rinse, repeat.  <if the keys/mouse clicks actually work>

kk thks buh-bye

Spawnster wrote:
Jez DeLaney wrote:

Can everyone just remain calm?  It won't be long before this little episode will be a distant memory, and the long-term effect of it will be a much larger playerbase.  Isn't that worth a few days of server naughtiness?

How About they NEED more bandwidth, and JUST maybe there in a location where they CANT upgrade, they still took my 10 dollars knowing they could not handle the players. SO what does that tell you. ALSO a mmo that is only holding 350 players???? you got to be kidding me. 350, but there still taking peoples money. I want a refund NOW.

While i might not wholeheartedly agree with the expression here, there is a point. I too, am pretty convinced that bandwidth and or hardware is the issue. Either way, you cant support more players, yet you still sell the game. I find that , troubling to say the least.

Spawnster wrote:
Jez DeLaney wrote:

Are you able to read letters and then understand what some tries to tell you/us? No? Sry my fault.

Omg to the cry babies out there.  When have you ever seen a game less then 6 months old operate flawlessly.  Even wow was crap for the first year.  Ask some of the old players there, it was so bad they couldnt even hover over icons.  The devs have already said listen we screwed up and are going to compensate for it.  WHat more do you want?  This isnt the case where the devs are flicking you off.  They have been working around the clock to fix it.  Stop whining and just deal its not something that is so unheard of at a launch of a game in its first year...for crying out loud......

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

I am getting frustrating when I try to log on, I am thwarted by the population cap. 

The good news is that it appears there is a devoted dev team in this game.  This can only be good, so I have to keep telling myself to be patient, and let these guys figure out a solution <while I continue to spam the login button>.

Simultaneously, I ponder the affects of so many EvE players entering the Perpetuum populace.  It's akin to 100K American GI's being stationed at some little backwater town in a 3rd world country.  Our EvE-centric culture will definitely affect the big picture.  I for one want to be a respectful tourist in our new world.

I do have to comment that I don't see PvP here without better mouse/keyboard responsiveness.  I come from the Team Fortress II environment as well as EvE.  The mouse interaction is okay for PvE, but I'm thinking I need to figure out hotkeys (or something) cuz the existing mouse interface is gonna get me killed fast.  In fact, I would call it "completely bogus".  But, I am hoping it's my fault, and that I simply have to learn more about hotkeys and/or other techniques of UI acceleration.  For example: right-click to get context menu - forced to double left click multiple times to invoke action item IF BIG IF the mouse action actually works.  Like I said, I think I'm doing something wrong.

Case study - Firing on NPC - double left click opponent (if lucky, it will primary that target - if unlucky, keep clicking and/or invoke mouse until target primary'ed.  Hit space bar to fire all weapons and/or use mouse to left click individual weapons when space bar function for some reason will not result in all weapons firing.  Like I said, this is okay for PvE, but in PvP = rapid defeat/death/buy new mech.

So far, I do like the environment, but mechanics can be improved greatly IMHO.  Navigation is non-intuitive and really needs work, again, maybe I'm stupid about efficient game mechanics - I'll give this one some more learning curve.  Ability to multitask is good : example - primary a target, lock a secondary target, approach drop container and open while firing on primary - focus automatically goes to formerly secondary target (if secondary target is previously selected)  - one click to primary - space bar to fire - wash, rinse, repeat.  <if the keys/mouse clicks actually work>

kk thks buh-bye

There are a lot of shortcuts and in my opinion, better ways, to do some of the things you described. For instance, click on target in landmarks, press r for primary, f if you want to secondary. You can also turn on show passable terrain in your minimap which may help as well. Give it a little more time -- I find the current controls very accommodating and convenient.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Quick summary once again:

1. It's a server software problem. Not OS, not hardware, not network, it's 100% our fault. Trust us on this one, this is why we're working on a fix.
2. The server cap is temporary and it fluctuates depending on how dodgy the server is. It will be removed once we fix the problem. The other options are to a) lift the cap and deliver the game unplayable for everyone or b) shut the whole thing down.
3. We plan to reimburse time lost (currently clocking at 3-4 days) due to the server cap. That includes both trial and subscribed.
4. We're doing our best to update you guys about what's going on, but at the same time, going "nope, not yet" every 5 minutes is also pretty pointless. There's usually a DEV or GM both in game or on IRC to update you on the ongoings.

So far we've put out a patch every day since Saturday, each with the hopes to fix the problem, and while we got closer to the end result, we failed to identify what the problem was. (That said, these fixes will remain in the server.) We currently have a pretty good idea on what the actual problem is, and we're really just looking for confirmation before shutting the server down to patch it out. Hopefully still today.

This is as embarrassing for us as it may seem, and I'm not sure being blindsided by the flock of users is even a good excuse, but that's all the power of hindsight. All we can do now is work as hard as we can to fix the whole thing as soon as possible.

Good stuff mate keep up the good work. Love the game and this will be fixed soon I'm sure.
    To all the nah sayers piss off go back to eve if you don't like it they are working on it and they are people too they need sleep just as we do

244 (edited by Morgan Raines 2011-06-29 19:55:06)

Firawien wrote:
Spawnster wrote:
Jez DeLaney wrote:

Are you able to read letters and then understand what some tries to tell you/us? No? Sry my fault.

Are you able to apply logic to a statement , and maybe, just maybe come to the conclusion that said statement is a falacy or an outright lie ? Are you able to comprehend the fact that they may be fabricating this issue, and hiding the truth because it really *** sucks ?

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

kk thks buh-bye

Press R to primary, F to secondary. Hitting 1-whatever(not sure the exact max number) will activate the chassis modules. then ctrl and 1-whatever will do leg modules, and shift and a # being head modules. All which can be remapped in game through the options menu.

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

kk thks buh-bye

It actually almost works like this already. The only bit that would indeed be a huge step forward, would be to have an auto-focus on one of the secondary targets once the first one is destroyed/unlocked. However, how does the computer decide which other target to primary ?

I find that double-clicking a target isnt really great as I most of the time miss it and start targeting a pile of dirt. One left click and the F key works very fine, but you still have to "primary" one of your targets. So yeah, it can be perfected a lot, but it's already working pretty nice, once you get used to it. I finally am smile

Morgan Raines wrote:

Oh well, at least its only 9 euero´s lost this time.

I should learn to not pay up before things work.

roll

Right.  First of all, I'm saying this so many times I feel like a god damn white knight.

Secondly, your not loosing any paid for time.  You're not loosing any trial time either.  They're adding it to your account once they know how much to add.

Thirdly your account(s) are still acruing EP at the usual rate. 

In EVE terms, free gametime & 1.4k SP per day the problem continues is inbound.  You have not wasted your 9 euro's, you will get everything you have paid for.

Raife wrote:

Press R to primary,

Oh my... I love you.

Spawnster wrote:
Jez DeLaney wrote:

Respectfully, I'm going to ask you to chill. This isn't costing you anything as it's been said several times that this time is being given to all players gratis.

Also, you really shouldn't speak about tech things you have no knowledge about. A bandwidth problem is fixed in a phone call and as it has been posted numerous times already, this is a software problem.

Of course, if you're going to act like a child about this, then maybe it's best you find something else. I hear WoW has a infinite trial now. roll

Morgan Raines wrote:
Spawnster wrote:
Jez DeLaney wrote:

While i might not wholeheartedly agree with the expression here, there is a point. I too, am pretty convinced that bandwidth and or hardware is the issue. Either way, you cant support more players, yet you still sell the game. I find that , troubling to say the least.

We've played flawlessly with more players then are currently online before (900+). The population has stabilized a bit since then, lots of changes and patches went by, now things aren't running as efficiently as they should and are likely unnecessarily 'raping' the hardware due to some inefficiencies or bugs in the features that have been added.