Topic: Server load issues in the last 48 hours

First of all we'd like to welcome the influx of new players to Perpetuum. The sheer number of new players caught us by surprise, and we're working around the clock to accommodate each and every one of you.

However the number of players connected to our server has highlighted a previously unknown issue in the relay server to which every player is connected. The server team is working on fixing the issue as we speak, but for the time being a temporary limit on the user count has been set up. Once the current issue has been fixed we expect to be able to run without a user count limitation as this is not a hardware but a previously unknown software problem. (In fact most of the servers are running at 1-5% capacity except for the relay)

We ask that you bear with us during the coming days until we can resolve this issue.

Update - 2011.06.29. 2:20
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/32828/#p32828

Update - 2011.06.29. 20:46
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/33235/#p33235

Update - 2011.06.30. 1:08
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/33413/#p33413

Update - 2011.06.30. 2:47
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/33429/#p33429

Update - 2011.06.30. 3:45
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/33457/#p33457
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/33460/#p33460

DEV Calvin wrote:

The issue seems to be resolved, the relay server went from 100% load to around 5%.
We are administering 4 days of free game time to all subscribed and trial accounts.
Thank you all for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience!

Re: Server load issues in the last 48 hours

I signed up yesterday and it sucks to see the server full already. Just don't sell monocles and you'll be fine though.

It's a temporary bug that got highlighted by the influx of new players. We had this sort of thing before, it's being looked into and will be squashed relentlessly.

This guys will fix issue with style, another option impossible for them)

In any event, coming from EvE it is nice to see Devs and GMs in the Help and general channels and being extra responsive to player base. I also like the mechanics of the game so far and the familiarity of it coming from that other MMO.

Good job. Keep on doing a good job and players will reward you with years of subscription fees!

implementing a qeue system would be great, since hammering the login button 200000 times isnt exactly fun

7 (edited by Neoxx 2011-06-26 18:54:14)

Julutschka wrote:

implementing a qeue system would be great, since hammering the login button 200000 times isnt exactly fun

It would be wasted development time, as they arent planning on having a server cap any time soon.

This is just a temporary fix until they modify the overloaded server to handle the new players.

Hell, I'd say to the vets to log off for the time being and let as many new players access the game as possible right now.  Shutting a new player out the first time he tries to play is much worse than an 8 month vet not logging in 1 day.

->You just lost The Game<-

I would prefer some people to take this time and realize that Perpetuum is not EVE Online™'s vacation resort. I have seen people on Jita back in EVE saying to register, and login in here en masse as another futile "protest".

People have already ruined the fun for a lot of EVE Online™ players by crashing Jita, and now the same might be causing this without the intention of subscribing to the game.

BoyC, if i may suggest, perhaps blocking free-trial accounts for the time being, while you resolve the issue? Just a thought..

But I wanted to play

By the way. CCP ALWAYS gives free SP whenever this happen. Can we have free EP?

Jokingplzdontbanme.

11 (edited by Tyrus Dark 2011-06-26 19:10:10)

Renan Ruivo wrote:

I would prefer some people to take this time and realize that Perpetuum is not EVE Online™'s vacation resort. I have seen people on Jita back in EVE saying to register, and login in here en masse as another futile "protest".

People have already ruined the fun for a lot of EVE Online™ players by crashing Jita, and now the same might be causing this without the intention of subscribing to the game.

BoyC, if i may suggest, perhaps blocking free-trial accounts for the time being, while you resolve the issue? Just a thought..

With all due respect, and your post doesn't garner very much of it, but that's about the worst idea you could have suggested.

We aren't spilling over to PO in order to "ruin" it, a lot of people are jumping ship because CCP has utterly lost the faith of the playerbase.  blocking free-trial accounts would be an incredibly poor corporate move because they're literally doubling and tripling the number of trial subs within a couple of days.. responding by blocking people who want to play the game would be a fast track for all the potential new customers to go somewhere else.

Give the devs a chance to fix the problem and as far as the influx of new players...

dealwithit.gif cool

Neoxx wrote:

Hell, I'd say to the vets to log off for the time being and let as many new players access the game as possible right now.  Shutting a new player out the first time he tries to play is much worse than an 8 month vet not logging in 1 day.

Yeah, 8-month vet here who also plays EVE.

I've been keeping up with what's going on and I agree that it's better to let the new guys in than it is for me to get in.

I'll check back later, but I'm not really concerned atm. Hope you guys enjoy Perpetuum in the meanwhile. It's not as big of a game as EVE, but I've seen it grow quite a bit over the last (almost) year.

Just for clarification: Does this necessitate a client update?
If so: Will the client inform me (if I am already on the Login screen) or would I need to re-start for the client to notice this?

Antiquado: yes you'll get a server full message on trying to log in if the server is full

As for not letting the trials get in: that would require a server patch on its own right - we intend the server patch to fix the issue instead.

BoyC: What I meant is: If you fix the current relay-issue.
Is that purely server-side?

I have been talking to people in my alliance and your probably going to get few hundred more subscribers in the next few days from us alone. Great game so far from what ive played keep up the good work.

Thanks for the detailed info smile  I'm a noob player here and I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and the community.   Stuff happens - good luck with a quick resolution to the problems!

Good to see we helped you identify this bug, hope you will be able to address this soon

~Xeross

Yes this is a server side issue, we'll need to do a hotfix once the issue has been addressed - we'll also most likely deploy a client to go with it for some of the requested features like chat channel search. You'll see the patch notes in the server status, this might take 1-2 days to work out though. Until then we're gradually increasing the user limit until the point we can so more of you can play the game.
Again, sorry for the limitations - we figure it's better to have a stable server for a limited number of players than an unstable one for everyone. The sheer number of new people caught us with our guards down. We're doing our best to resolve the problems.

Tyrus Dark wrote:
Renan Ruivo wrote:

With all due respect, and your post doesn't garner very much of it, but that's about the worst idea you could have suggested.

We aren't spilling over to PO in order to "ruin" it, a lot of people are jumping ship because CCP has utterly lost the faith of the playerbase.  blocking free-trial accounts would be an incredibly poor corporate move because they're literally doubling and tripling the number of trial subs within a couple of days.. responding by blocking people who want to play the game would be a fast track for all the potential new customers to go somewhere else.

Give the devs a chance to fix the problem and as far as the influx of new players...

dealwithit.gif cool

Tyrus, i am specifically talking about people who have come here just to crash the game, as they crashed Jita. Let me pull the log for ya...

[ 2011.06.26 03:53:46 ] incarna reallysux > http://www.perpetuum-online.com/ EVE PLAYERS ARE GOING THERE!! FORGET JITA, LETS TAKE THE PROTEST THERE SO THAT CCP GETS CRUCIFIED BY EVERYOEN!!

This has been an ongoing spam since last night..

I'll gladly sit out the next couple days, and give my 2 spots to the trials.

I'm just glad to see many more players in the PST time zone, it was so too quiet.

Alexadar wrote:

This guys will fix issue with style, another option impossible for them)

What he said.

A few server issues are no big deal for me. I know that you guys are way more stressed over them then the players are - and you guys (Devs and GMs) being so visible really helps us remember that!

I also was amazed that I was personally convoed by a GM when I first connected to the game that offered me help if I had any issues (which I didn't really have since the tutorial did well at covering the basics).

I'm very much liking my game experience so far.

Cheers
Melor Rend

Server Full.

Def.

1.  You are too popular.  Much more popular than anyone in the corporation knew.

2.  Demand for said product was severely underestimated.

3.  See #2.

4.  Making a single shard, single MMO, is hard.  See the entire history of EVE.

5.  Not what I want to see after 8 months, past beta.  But summer is when "students" have
     a lot more free time.  Why couldn't they go to eve?

6.  Please not another STO.  Nooooooooo! 

7.  I am not happy.  Major understatement.

8.  See number 7 to the exponent of 1999999.

9.  I luv what you've done with the game so far.  Missiles are nerfed to hell, but I don't
     use them. 

10.  Keep up the good work. 

Note : don't take any of this seriously.  I am just not happy.

This is another useless reply in a thread that will be lost in space and time, forever and
ever.

Have a nice day.

Our forums are full of 'venting', makes for an interesting read while we wait to log in smile

25 (edited by Melor Rend 2011-06-26 20:08:57)

Renan Ruivo wrote:

I am one of those EVE refugees and let me tell you that I'm not here out of protest. I'm here because I'm looking for a fun game experience without the bitter corporate-y aftertaste and being made to feel like a cash cow to be milked.

I can understand your frustration over not being able to log in (I even share your frustration) but I would ask you not to direct your internet anger at the new guys, even if it is technically our fault for migrating here and revealing a hidden bug in the process (and tbh, get used to it... EVE players are good at revealing hidden dark things). yarr

Also: monocles.

Cheers
Melor, a genuine refugee! wink