Re: Server load issues in the last 48 hours

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

From what I've experienced, it feels like memory leak.  But the devs don't say that.

It isn't, it's a database-related bottleneck.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Rok Hed wrote:

Go about your life, unplug from the computer for a bit and don't worry.  We aren't losing out because ep is still accumulating.  They have already said we will be credited for the time the server is down.  Is it really that bad not being able to sit in front of a computer screen watchin robots kill each other for a few days?

I have not complained about EP losses/gains, nor have I complained about being credited for time lost, (for the small fee, its not an issue for me). But jarhead, I asked for 'more informative error messages', something we are all taught in 'Good Customer Service'. Advise the customer with the truth, be clear, be interested, give constructive prognostications of when failed services might return, set expectations.

No one knows when it will be back on line and running as needed. but they can materially guess as to when it will not be back. Like, try at hourly intrvals, try tomorrow, try at ten past the hour. There are lots of solutions open to any interested party who wishes to best actualise the dollar in the customers pocket without being rude, overly technical or lame. Berating a fellow customer because they dont do the things you think they should do is neither needed nor requested.

Go climb back into your tree and come down when your momma calls 'Dinner'.

i

Tulip Wednesday wrote:

I have not complained about EP losses/gains, nor have I complained about being credited for time lost, (for the small fee, its not an issue for me). But jarhead, I asked for 'more informative error messages', something we are all taught in 'Good Customer Service'. Advise the customer with the truth, be clear, be interested, give constructive prognostications of when failed services might return, set expectations.

1. Let's stay civil.
2. Read what I've been posting.

I can't give you estimates because noone has any. We want the fix to be out today, that's the closest it gets, but it's no promise.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

279 (edited by Tulip Wednesday 2011-06-29 20:40:57)

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Tulip Wednesday wrote:

1. Let's stay civil.
2. Read what I've been posting.

I can't give you estimated because noone has any. We want the fix to be out today, that's the closest it gets, but it's no promise.

sorry, I should stay civil, you are correct, I apologise.

Mutter mutter......   mumble...

I have stated previously that I'm willing to give the Devs time to fix issues.  But I have two questions:
1) at some point in the future, when the devs are not confronted with critical issues, can they please build a queuing system so we don't have to endlessly spam the "okay" button for any future occurrences of population-induced problems ?
2) failing to build a queuing system, will we be compensated for carpal tunnel syndrome related medical expenses incurred from excessive spamming of "okay" button ??? (j/k)

lol - go in peace folks ! 

P.S. not to change the subject but hey, 4th of July is around the corner - who is going to what fireworks displays - and I hope delicious BBQ is involved !!!  For me, three nearby cities combine funds to put on a magnificent fireworks display, unfortunately, I'm scheduled to work the night ...

You all need to simmer down.   Debugging code to find a logic error is one of the most tedious tasks ever and it takes patience and time.  So less QQ and more just wait till they fix it so we can all pewpew again. yarr

A queue will not be required once this issue is fixed.
End of.

There is a software issue in their main server and they're working to correct it.
Let us assume they're making too many requests a second then we can also assume they'll be spending all this time limiting the amount of requests each client makes per second and also increase the amount of requests the server can take. With any luck they'll find a work around and in the long run ANY optimization is a good thing.

Tulip Wednesday wrote:

heres a fix: smile

Step one, Find your Amex.  neutral

Step two, Google for CISCO, Read, call. yikes

Step three, Involve experienced professionals that know how to connect thousands of people to systems anywhere in the world.  tongue

Step four, raise the playing fee to 15USD a month to pay for systems/bandwidth/techs etcetera roll

Step five, listen to praise from happy customers.  big_smile

vs

Tongue in cheek, I'm spending my time in a _ing forum rather than playing the game, no fair...

Ironically, I was a Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) for years. By the end of my career I was manager for a network that spanned three countries (one across the Pacific Ocean). I was younger than most of my employees and had already been recognised by peers for some work that I had done.

I quit, gave up the good salary, and swore never to do IT again except for some few contracts for people I knew well. For the simple reason that those without any technical knowledge have no understanding of what's involved, appreciation for, or reasonable expectations of the work in IT.

It doesn't matter how well the system is setup, how well things are prepared, how many backups there are, or contingency plans, something will fail or something unpredictable will happen. People will always demand timelines when there's no means to predict one. Trying to explain that, or detail the problem, makes their eyes glaze over, or angry because it goes over their head and they assume you're lying/making excuses to cover yourself. Even when you manage to produce a miracle and have service restored quickly, all they will say is "this better not happen again" or similar.

E.g. A company I worked for had an employee infect some servers (he did things we'd specifically told him not to). He'd done it, just before leaving work... Meaning my automated notifications alerted me, just as I walked through the door of my home. I immediately went back and cleared everything, created new passwords for all employees, etc, including having to rebuild some servers from near scratch to be sure we were clear. I then sent an e-mail out at around 5 am explaining the events of the night. I got home again at 6:30 am in the morning. The CEO called me at 7:00 am because he couldn't read his new password, I changed it remotely to something easier for him. After that, he asked me if I was coming in that day... and was angry when I said, "no". The company didn't experience any downtime, lose any money, lose any information/have it stolen, or have any liability to clients for any of those events... Yet the response the next day was blame from the guy who'd caused the issue (you IT guys didn't explain it well enough) and annoyance from the CEO ("you weren't here for the day").

My point, I guess, is that these Devs have my greatest respect for actually daring to make do something where they will have those/these sorts of situations constantly. They've already done/do more than most companies do. Patience, is a virtue, and something that should be fairly applied to their efforts.

Always look on the bright side of life...

I am away for this whole week after having played, without hardly a glitch, for my first week.  I was around just as the new player counts spiked.  Had been enjoying the game and was sad to be away for the week.  However, the silver lining is that the influx of new agents has uncovered a software bug that would have to have been fixed at some point.  The game has been down almost to the moment when I left.  I have been having my days away get refunded, am still earning EP's and look forward to it being back up when I get back.  Some people get all the luck...Oh yea, and the women on South Beach in Miami don't hurt either.

Thanks for the continued updates, devs.  Good luck on getting this all straightened out ASAP.

Simply insolence ! To sell access to the game and then I must look at it."Temporary user limits are in effect until we resolve server issues. Sorry for the inconvenience. "  Impudent swindlers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw for anyone not in the mood shuffling through the whole topic, I'm editing any notable update posts into the first post as well.

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Mrs Pickerel wrote:

From what I've experienced, it feels like memory leak.  But the devs don't say that.

It isn't, it's a database-related bottleneck.

Noob Rules for SQL tuning: put the most restrictive filter query first, i.e., the query that results in the fewest returned records, then repeat with that strategy for all query parameters.  Sometimes doing that is difficult without creating problems based upon dependencies, meaning you have to get the selection criteria in order of hierarchically dependent relationships in the context of relational (and possibly compound) record keys. And doing this on gigabyte sized query results is tougher still.  And I read somewhere in these forums the term "SQL Server" <-- that would be the first problem ...

Glad I don't have to fix it...  Keep up the good work Devs!  As it is, I can sip barley wine, make random forum posts, and procrastinate on my school work ... while you guys do the real work of fixing the systems problem.  Life is such fun !

Denis wrote:

Simply insolence ! To sell access to the game and then I must look at it."Temporary user limits are in effect until we resolve server issues. Sorry for the inconvenience. "  Impudent swindlers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

News flash genius.  You bought game time, oh ya and guess what's getting refunded to you when this is over? GAME TIME.  Less QQ and more st*u.

Databases are evil.

Tulip Wednesday wrote:

I don't live in a tree I hide under a rock tongue
And sadly don't remember the last time my mom invited me over for dinner

Here, play this:

http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicor … -game.html

That'll pass your time.

Darth Platypus wrote:
Denis wrote:

News flash genius.  You bought game time, oh ya and guess what's getting refunded to you when this is over? GAME TIME.  Less QQ and more st*u.

I think he was being sarcastic
God, I hope..

while this is all going on I dont see there to be much point in any serious pvp campaigns or activities.

The only thing us older players can do to help is log off, or at least dont log in all your accounts.

We've had many months of enjoyment before and we arnt going to miss anything if we just leave it alone for a few days and let the newer players explore.

Denis wrote:

Are you by any chance a employee of CCP? roll

Plz calm down

BTW great respect to the DEVs who work hard on the problem, and give us such good updates. Also thx to the community who try to make the best out of the situation. (Exeptions prove the rule)

"I have come to kick *** and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum." -John Nada

Okay - now I am experiencing severe lag in terms of clicking the "OK" button.  Many attempts to log in result in a greyed out "OK" button for 20 full secs.

Can you fix this degradation in performance please?  (j/k of course, but the problem does exist.  Just more fuel for the "build a queue" concept.) <has other things to do, but instead continues to sip barley wine and spam "OK">

wink
i cant sit there and spam a button in hopes of . would like to think trials are not getting log in priority over subs and people w alts are being respectable and limiting how many characters they need to run during this process .

Gamer base more than doubled in a few days.

All I can say is that i totally understand the situation, and wait for the server to be up to the task again, knowing that the devs are working on it. Hell ! They probably want this to work far more than any of us.

Patience fellows.

Rok Hed wrote:
Tulip Wednesday wrote:

I don't live in a tree I hide under a rock tongue
And sadly don't remember the last time my mom invited me over for dinner

Lol.
Hmmm, nor mine...:/

It's akin to me opening a restaurant and then being surprised when people show up for dinner, knowing I don't have enough food, but seating them anyway.

Perhaps the number of subs should be limited to a number the servers and code can handle and expanded as performance is improved and demand increases? I don't know maybe there isn't simulations that can be run and we are really in the technical equivalent of sticking your finger in the air, or driving till the wheels fall off.

I guess it's more about getting people through the door, hooked and invested, much like the relationship between peddler and fiend.

Looks like Elfendar will get a turn out for his op with the server capped.

Forced to play Eve by perpetuums popularity, what a cruel twist.