151 (edited by Syndic 2013-05-10 10:51:25)

Re: New devblog: New tech trees

A real corp (not this 5-guys-with-10-gifted-accounts-shizzle) can grind out an x100 multiplier in under 6 months.

How? Simple. No kernels are wasted. Any corporation which fed a prototyper knows very painfully and very intimately how many kernels get wasted because they proc already existing completed knowledge.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

152 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-05-10 12:21:53)

syndic we assume that current system with wastage = new system without it

same work, same result. just different numbers. and in linear progression.
so if you needed 50k kernels in the old, you will need that in the new as well...

might result in a slower progression in the lower tiers, but no endless wastage in the t4 finishing stage.

153 (edited by zigZag 2013-05-10 15:29:01)

I was going to let this run its course, because i am not without prejudice.  And accept the outcome, a trait of being in a 2 party system.

Lets get this out of the way.  Being a solo player has brought allot of things both good and frustrating.  I bought into the corp system, and tried to contribute.  Specking a combat toon to farm AI was my only goal.  This was a blast, working my way to a decent mech.  When my corp moved to a beta island and the majority saw i had only one toon,,,i was treated like a bed wetter in a boy scout camp.  Asking for a T2 medium missile launcher ct so i could supply myself with a fit, because the corp did not supply T2, and the market did not supply it either.  I started specking and eating kernels so i could make some without any corp intervention.  Because the toons that i fed thousands of kernels to, refused to let me have any CTs.  And after all three of them left the corp to form another one...well you can assume anything you like.

I have to use,,,,time in game,,,,ep allocations,,,group play, to achieve goals. (just the way it is supposto be)  I use the market, and my saying its broke is disingenuous, and wrong.  Its not broke, it just has few "players". Competition brings down prices.  Along with demand.  The risk/reward ratio is a major contributing factor in the demand ratios.  Carrots help in determining players acceptance of high ep requirements.  Why ammo is lvl 7.  This keeps any posers from making ammo. And puts a time in trade factor bonus for those that are producers.

Example,,,,I will not do missions,,,because i don't have the time.  I decided on day one that missions were just a time sink that was beyond a solo players goal set.  I wont spend any ep on the production extensions because my bot extensions have a year left to mature, and ill let the game die before i speck to be a proto maker.  I did not come here to do this,,,it has been forced on me to survive. Trusting the corp system is not a option for me,,,i have a year of cts made and when that is done,,,ill start specking production.  Bla,bla,bla.  you get the picture...sorry for stating the obvious.

If the ratio is 1 to 1 in relation to the current system and the new system... Scaling up of the ratio is defeating any entry lvl play.  Mega corps, with experienced leaders, had T4 tech in 3 months two years ago.  1 to 4 puts this goal at 12 months, for the same corps we started the game with.  Can we let the noobs at least play a while before we kick them in the nuts? 

We know the correct "time in game" to achieve T4 tech,,,,,,,,,,,3 months. 

Make it so...:)

Sorry,,,3months for a corp,,,as long as you like for a player.  The carrot is corp research, not player research. But it has to work.  Not fail like the last corp research sys. To be honest i would tag the toes of dead players with "corp system failure" if i could...oops i am also jaded...my bad...lol

Option for the multiplier would be to link it to the level in the tree:

Column 1 = 1x multiplier
Column 2 = 2x multiplier
Column 3 = 3x multiplier
Column 4 = 4x multiplier
Column 5 = 5x multiplier
Column 6 = 6x multiplier
Column 7 = 7x multiplier
Column 8 = 8x multiplier
Column 9 = 9x multiplier
Column 10 = 10x multiplier

This would allow for more "flexibility" in the system while still keeping corp research Hard to do, but not unobtainable. 

and make all ammo level 1 for small and 2 for Med i dont know why any ammo would be considered difficult to make or even "high Tech" having med missiles at the same complexity as the Gropho is really puzzling...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

syndic we assume that current system with wastage = new system without it

same work, same result. just different numbers. and in linear progression.
so if you needed 50k kernels in the old, you will need that in the new as well...

might result in a slower progression in the lower tiers, but no endless wastage in the t4 finishing stage.

Wastage occured because kernels would "proc" already existing knowledge, making it horrible once you came down to 4-5 T4 modules remaining.

This system cannot have that happen by the nature of it's design and purpose, if kernels have a set amount of points that you gain and then allocate it means nothing is wasted. If the system does indeed waste RP, then the system itself becomes a pointless waste of time because it does what the current research system already does too.

This is where the idea of the system is good.

Where the system is terribad, is in the RP gating mechanic. Newbies coming in with steam will already have a hard enough time having to be subscribed for 2-3 months to get relatively competitive with vets, having to keep subscribed multiple accounts because they won't be able to afford ICE (demand goes up, price goes up - same as that gentleman of a browny persuasion pointed out with T4).

On top of that uphill battle to play a grindy game while paying 20-30$ to keep accs up, they'll have to keep another account subbed for 2-3 months at least to get ability to prototype stuff? As I mentioned before, I've realized that I'm dealing with lunatics disconnected from reality.

This is not a brand new game. It's a graphically outdated and simplified version of EVE. Why would Steamlings spend 20-40$ a month here, when they can play EVE instead? WASD combat is the only thing in Perp's favor over EVE. Steam is the last straw that can save this game, there is nowhere to get a population influx from anymore after that's done. If the game isn't fun and engaging to play, people won't sub. Hell most people won't sub purely on principle of not subbing to MMO's.

It's really silly of us to even bother typing this much, because if nobody had the brains to listen to us 2 years ago they sure as hell won't have the brains to listen us now. The ship already sailed, lets enjoy whats left of the ride and not think too much of the iceberg.

CIR Complaint Form

I've had my say. The horse isn't dead, it's numb, no reason to beat it anymore.

X25 for president.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

x25 is too high with current system. I see some people speaking about how hard time newbies will have entering the already established megacorporation game but after that they tell x25 multiplier is god-sent. Absurd.

Lots of useful feedback, thanks for that. We still think a x10 corp multiplier is a good compromise.

About the EP cost: as said the new extensions would have an "enabler" role, so I'm torn between complexity 1 and 2, but more leaning towards 1. What you all forget with your calculations is that we have only a few column 10 items, and the 10th level of an extension costs nearly as much EP as all the other levels combined. So whatever you calculate, you can reach column 9 with half of that.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Lots of useful feedback, thanks for that. We still think a x10 corp multiplier is a good compromise.

About the EP cost: as said the new extensions would have an "enabler" role, so I'm torn between complexity 1 and 2, but more leaning towards 1. What you all forget with your calculations is that we have only a few column 10 items, and the 10th level of an extension costs nearly as much EP as all the other levels combined. So whatever you calculate, you can reach column 9 with half of that.

So, how many total EP will it be to be able to produce everything? And for those of us bad at math, how many months to accumulate that EP?

X1, X10, X25, X100 ...

They are all arbitrary. We have no existing information to base if any of these is 'out-of-whack' other than bold assertion.

Maybe Zoom will give us the RP costs for the trees before they implement them, or maybe not.

Without the actual costs, we can't predetermine how many kernels it will take or extrapolate to how much time players or corps can expect to grind between tech advances.

Add in the new 'wrinkle' about being able to complete the trees seperately, which is also new, and the equation becomes even more unknowable.

We need more info or we'll just have to wait until AC releases it and then make cases for more or less multiplier.

God forbid a test server and forum is used to test sh*t before its live.

CIR Complaint Form

Tund Bungler wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

So, how many total EP will it be to be able to produce everything? And for those of us bad at math, how many months to accumulate that EP?

look for the chart i gave you before ..
at level 1 complexity for skills it costs 13,500 EP x 7 is 94,500 EP which will take about 65.63 days ....

so a little over 2 months to unlock all trees

164 (edited by Gooma 2013-05-11 05:03:43)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Thats great, just put in a EP RESET WITH PATCH!   You screwed up manufacturing a few patches ago, NOW we wont even be able to produce the stuff we currently can with new patch.  BTW im serious with this. As many times we have gotten a raw deal, we have stuck with the game. So at least give us that it might actually make it worth all the pain.

Syndic wrote:

God forbid a test server and forum is used to test sh*t before its live.

mmmmm (agree) ..Testing should be done for every patch / expansion for a week the week before it goes live.

the systems are already in place .. whats stopping you guys from allowing this (devs)?

insight on things to come 1 week before they are deployed will not dramatically effect anything that is currently happening in the game (markets) if everyone is allowed to test the new content...

if anything not allowing people to test the new mechanics kills current markets because people stop selling, and start hoarding in fear of the changes dramatically effecting current market rates, and other aspects of the game.

just a few thoughts that would help relieve some anxiety of the coming changes.

This, "OK its a patch we all need a EP reset" is getting a bit old.

Get over it EP is there, you spent it how you needed to, you made the decisions. 
"But but they are changing something"

Well Yea, a change for the better.

This is what I would suggest as partaking to the EP side of the patch.

Make all the T1 Items take LvL 1 of all extensions, and then roll up with there all the way to LvL 5 for T4, and LvL 6 for a few "special" items.

This will allow you to move UP from there, AND redo the tier'ing system in a later patch.

Also this should quell the QQ over the EP.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Well I personally would love an EP reset, plus there was even a system in place to reset your account completely until october 2011 (why was that even removed?)

However EP resets in general are way more useful the newer a player is considering they can specialize completely different while veterans with crazy amounts of total EP couldn't care less.

I hardly doubt that any proto-production guy will take that full EP reset it was the old good days. Using extensions downgrade, on other side, should be hardly limited if possible on industrial extensions only.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

We should be talking about this here:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/foru … ng-server/

CIR Complaint Form

Ok. Thanks Zoom for the response. Essentially within 2 months most if not all of your research can be at the point where it was before this patch goes live. And since I would bet we wont see it for a few months anyways ... Those that care can prepare.

Works for me.

Brutux wrote:

Ok. Thanks Zoom for the response. Essentially within 2 months most if not all of your research can be at the point where it was before this patch goes live. And since I would bet we wont see it for a few months anyways ... Those that care can prepare.

Works for me.

But June is only one month away?

Now this is a tech Tree.

http://guide.wz2100.net/r/tech-tree

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

173 (edited by Xadhoom 2013-05-12 20:46:07)

To be honest I think 10x multiplier is high enough anything higher then that would defeat the bonus, becuase I would rather have 9 prototypers in the corp and put anything into the corp tech.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

it all depends upon the bonus ofc. if the bonus is anything like the other indy bonus' it will be barely worth it for anything other than convenience

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

175 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-05-12 21:59:42)

Jita wrote:

it all depends upon the bonus ofc. if the bonus is anything like the other indy bonus' it will be barely worth it for anything other than convenience

well it depends. i guess that it will be a fixed number of points that you get.

for a full settled gamma corp it might not make a big difference, then with a full t3 base they are already high up and some more points will make no big difference.

but totally different for a alpha/beta corp. if you get a decent amount of points here it can significantly boost your production. (still better refining on gamma ^^)

but i agree. if the bonus is not significant nobody will waste x10 half a year of kernel farming for small gimic. loosing 5-7 prototypers might still be cheeper in the next 2-5 years...

or the whole kernel thing gets that much more easy with the patch and we just dont know that yet. but i doubt that.
personaly i can not see any reason atm (to try) to invest that many kernels into that system.
but we will see.