Re: New devblog: New tech trees

Syndic wrote:

But with an X25 or X50 multiplier it would be an extra incentive for people to grind harder and longer so the devs would have time to implement more content. smile

I'm not sure about the math.

If 1 player can grind 100% of tech in X time, then 50 corp members should be able to grind 100% in 50x.

Sure, if your corp only has 10 people, it's going to take 5x longer than the solo player... except that corp groups can grind kernels ALOT faster than solo players can.

Not to mention that corps can put a lot more NIC toward buying kernels, and still have money to operate, than a solo player can.

Tux wrote:

You will be able to finish your personal production many times over before the corp your in does with an x50 multiplier so there will be no reason for you to use the non existent corp research knowledge base.

I'm going to have to disagree, the maths don't support this for guilds larger than a group of friends.

Also, Corps can choose which trees to get too. So if Corp member A has finished Tree (1), then the corp can start on (2).

Corp = pooled resources.

If the corp isn't pooling resources, than I would agree Tux, the corp will never finish the tree. But, if they aren't pooling resources, no one is giving the corp RP anyway; except the CEO maybe.

So what you're saying is perhaps a x100 multiplier would make it a good achievement for a corp to aim at? smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Tux wrote:
Ville wrote:

I know I'll use corp research no matter what the cost because it eliminates waiting on a prototypers to login and check the folder.

You will be able to finish your personal production many times over before the corp your in does with an x50 multiplier so there will be no reason for you to use the non existent corp research knowledge base.

Your missing the point.  Still. 

• Zero EP Investment

• No bottlenecks

• Everyone in the corp gets this knowledge!

Come on dude, I know besides the few fairly dedicated people who are having fun flipping betas, the rest of the pvpers are sitting in station twirling our bots.  Or better yet playing other games.

So having something to do for a little bit of time, a real goal it would be nice.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Syndic wrote:

So what you're saying is perhaps a x100 multiplier would make it a good achievement for a corp to aim at? smile

Maybe even more than x100.

As ville points out, this isn't the old system, where you race 1 guy to T4, and then have your pT bottlenecked by only being able to make 10 PT's a day.

if the corp has 50 players with PT skills, they can make 500 PT's a day, limited only by resources. Where the solo player is still only making 10 a day.

Syndic wrote:

But with an X25 or X50 multiplier it would be an extra incentive for people to grind harder and longer so the devs would have time to implement more content. smile

I'm sure you would still have this sentiment if you did not have the 27k observer kernels stockpile you aquired while the observer spawn mechanics were broken on Beta. Some people suggest things that are good for the game. You suggest things that are good for you.

How much EP for a shield?

Arga wrote:

Well, that escalated quickly lol

DEV Zoom wrote:
Arga wrote:

Its the secret negotiating tactic, way over-shoot your target, then when it comes back to 25x they'll think they won!!!

108 (edited by Syndic 2013-05-08 03:30:05)

Brutux wrote:
Syndic wrote:

I'm sure you would still have this sentiment if you did not have the 27k observer kernels stockpile you aquired while the observer spawn mechanics were broken on Beta. Some people suggest things that are good for the game. You suggest things that are good for you.

How much EP for a shield?

If you read my original post you'll notice I was completely against both EP-gating and the X10 thing, however I've realized after 2-3 years that I'm dealing with complete lunatics so I've lost interest in sensible suggestions.

Why not X200? Make those steamlings pay at least 12 months for T2 gear, until then they can slave away on alpha mining all those boring ores to buy our overpriced gear we'll take off them anyway. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

If multipliers are that necessary, they could be made in an old fashioned 1-1-1-1-1-2-3-4-5-10 way.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Arga wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Arga wrote:

Its the secret negotiating tactic, way over-shoot your target, then when it comes back to 25x they'll think they won!!!

This is accurate.

This thread is going places.

Let's forget about research and seed all prototypes, seed t4 on beta terminals , leave the research to NPCs big_smile

Use your time for instances and missions which tbh is higher priority.

RIP PERPETUUM

Mountain sized mechs highest priority imo.

Tbh celebro I think its time all t1 and 2 were seeded anyway with all mechs and bots.

Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

Tbh celebro I think its time all t1 and 2 were seeded anyway with all mechs and bots.

I agree, with such a limited player base there should be much more seeded items, as the population grows  and players can take over the market, we can start removing seeds. This will not compete with manufacturing as it can always be built cheaper if you want.

RIP PERPETUUM

Alternatively, since the market is clearly defunct as a whole, seeding commodities (and setting up lower but not completely useless NPC buy orders) might be a better idea.

This method of kickstarting a sandbox market is not unprecedented either.

Ville wrote:
Arga wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

This is accurate.

Refer to my previous post 4x to 10x will be viable .. anything more is not ...

@Arga: if you operate under a communistic model where your overlord takes everything from you and pats you on the head saying good job then your assumption that a 50x multiplier would work, just like communism works (joke).

In reality players do contribute a lot to the greater good of the corp, but here is the main issue we have at hand:

Current knowledge will be translated over in the roughly equal point values thus making prototypers not lose any knowledge, so I have all T4 everything complete now i will have that same level in the new system.

I should donate any extra kernels and Points i have to the corp so it can finish its research. ~> No big need or rush to do this because my corp can already proto everything needed through me and some other people who are in my same position with complete research.

Issue ~> Is the addition of the Corp Knowledge base a side show to bide time (x100,000,000 multiplier to complete)

OR

Is It being designed to improve the research & production system in a positive way that allows corps of ALL sizes & types to benefit from it ?

If the new system is what i call a sideshow to lengthen the amount of time needed to do exactly what were doing now then its DOA and will not do anything to further the game. It will infact harm the games declining population.

As stated the game design is targeting a much larger player base. This does not directly translate into larger corporations. The system should be viable for Corporations anywhere from 10 to 1000 players.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Celebro wrote:
Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

I agree, with such a limited player base there should be much more seeded items, as the population grows  and players can take over the market, we can start removing seeds. This will not compete with manufacturing as it can always be built cheaper if you want.

To what end ?

I think the markets are hurting more because of no demand not because there is no access.

The markets already have enough seeded items ... and If you start seeding Mechs and T2 then there will be even less reason to produce.

The markets need a revision with added features such as contracts for selling CT's and, remote buying and selling.

Hell if you have that stuff seeded at least do it through the SS store so there is some type of variety

I would be interested to see the bonus an Agent with the knowledge and corp knowledge is in prototyping.  Because that's the key piece of the pie.

@ DEV Zoom, comment on previous question?

- Side note of a feature I'd like to see is a Corperation factory.  Where Agents with production manager get to upload a ct or pull a ct, or use an existing CT on the factory.  The factory in that terminal has a preset material folder(s) for commodity and has an option to allow where the finish goods go in corp storage.  Also customizable folder options for the ability to pickup the equipment out of another folder.

Tux wrote:

As stated the game design is targeting a much larger player base. This does not directly translate into larger corporations. The system should be viable for Corporations anywhere from 10 to 1000 players.

I understand your position.

However, I think you are underestimating the power shift that will occur when Corporations instead of Characters control the tech tree.

It was/is devastating now for the corporate prototyper to leave a corporation, communist or otherwise, regardless if that leaving is quitting the game, going to a new corp, or just taking a 2-week vacation.

As you point out, the new system doesn't directly change this. Anyone that was making PT's before can do so after the patch and the corps are no worse off (assuming they address the EP issue).

So, what we are really looking at is the impact going forward.

Having Corp research is an ADDITION to the system, not a replacement.

Corporations that currently request their players to turn in kernels will continue to do so, those that don't, won't.

The only difference now, is the person or group in the Corp that was deciding which Individual character to give those kernels to, now has to choose to either give the RP's to the corp, at a steep multiplier, or continue to 'risk' putting them into a charater that could leave/quit.

Not 100% on the mechanic yet, but the Benefit of having the Corp hold the tech is going to be tremendous. Having continual access to the tech, not worrying if player is on/off line, quit. Also being able to give multiple players access to the same tech, which will increase PT productivity because you are no longer limited to the a single character production.

Those (2) things alone are worth a serious multiplier. Now however, add in that the tech never goes away for corp learning. Never. It can't quit, can't leave, can't get pissy and reset. It doesn't matter that it takes longer to complete, because it's permant.

The size of the corporation isn't important really. If Tux, with 100% tech, is part of a small corp then that corp has access to the tech. It doesn't gain the benefits of 'all access, all the time', but it still has a tremendous advantage over corps that don't have 100% access.

The final point here, is simply that there should not be an easy route from character based to corporate based tech. And I believe that everyone understand that, the question is how much more valuable is it.

Personally, I think it should be a very long term goal for Corps to max out tech, because the corps with access to it now won't lose that access, and neither will individual players. It will KEEP tech 'players' valuable for a long time, as corps slowly build up permanant access. Remember, it's no longer random. Corps can spend their RP's on specific lines of tech, just like players, they don't NEED to have 100% tech to start seeing the value for T4.

I want to repeat that so it doesn't get lost. Corps, with the high multiplier do NOT need 100% tech to be competitive; assuming they still have 100% access through players.

Any Corp with 100% tech complete is going to be a BEAST; unless I'm complete off on my understanding of the mechanic.

Lastly, much better to error too high, than to have corps reach 100% and see how powerful they are, and have to try to backtrack.

I'll join the first fully researched corp dont care who they are smile

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

I'll join the first fully researched corp dont care who they are smile

Benefit #3 - Recruiting tool!

0/

Arga: I agree Corps will greatly benefit from corp research.

1.) permanent yes for the corp but CEO's can remove members (just the nature of the game)
2.) 24/7 access to PT's is really awesome

Benefit # 3 is what can break the system ....

If a few large power full corps are the only ones able to attain the full corp knowledge base because of extremely high point multipliers then like Celebro pointed out many players will just funnel into those corps ...  again re cementing the already polarized political landscape which is comprised of a few power blocks. To say the tech advantage of these power blocks has nothing to do with their success is a mistake. 

I understand how powerful the corp research will be ... point being it needs to be designed in a way that any corp can set it as a realistic goal, not just for corps comprised mostly of billionaires.

What's so wrong with powerblocks? A think it's good for the game, it helps newcomers, promotes the game in many ways and fosters interaction within the community. It also offers a great challenge for other groups to try and take on'Goliath' see them fall or die trying. These type of stories makes headlines in the gaming world. Just read about it on the other space game.

Great enemies make great heroes.

RIP PERPETUUM

PHM will make corp research available to ALL it's members.

Sounds like no matter what multiplier is picked, it won't scale well across different corporation sizes. One way to go is to use a static multiplier, giving bigger corporations advantage. Other way is to make the multiplier dynamic, most likely based on the number of people that have access to the Corp Research.

Here's what I propose..
Another way would be to turn the system upside down. Make it so that each researched item has leveled efficiency and time attributes that are unlocked by the amount of kernels you chew. In essence, it would make it easier to unlock items but harder to unlock better material efficiency and time levels.

If you use the system I proposed, personal and corporation research would need the same amount of research points to unlock, but corporation research would need more research points to train levels in material efficiency and time.

Screenshot to illustrate it all.