Topic: New devblog: New tech trees

The new tech trees coming with the research system revamp are now complete, have a look!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … ech-trees/

2 (edited by Celebro 2013-05-02 20:35:15)

Re: New devblog: New tech trees

Nice tech trees and the addition of enabler extensions is a nice touch smile. Maybe I missed something but is the branching off random, how does it work exactly?

Edit: nvm: My guess is you decide a certain path, but would you need all the first column researched to move to the second or just the extension?

RIP PERPETUUM

Well it's all handcrafted if that's what you mean. The logic behind the connections can be based on many things like the type of technology (weapons, armor, sensory, ewar, etc), the point of advancement in the game where you'll most likely need it (e.g. weapons first, tunings after), the complexity/availablity of the item, and sometimes even lore. Most of it "works", but there are a few connections which might look far-fetched. Those are the ones which didn't really fit anywhere and we had to pick the closest fitting parent for them instead of leaving them alone and separated from everything.

4 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-05-02 20:41:18)

very nice.
but i have one essential question:
we need the unlock extentions, what is totaly fine. that works good on a personal level, but how does it work on corporation level. does the ceo need the extentions? or are there no preqisites for corporations? or do you need the extentions if you want to prototype them even if you dont have the tech yourself and take it from corp knowledgebase?

Celebro wrote:

would you need all the first column researched to move to the second or just the extension?

Just the extension. The rest works based on parent/child connections: if you have the parent, you can research the child.

edit: Or in other words, if you have the parent unlocked you can move on to the child, provided you have the extension for the column where the child is.

Oh and if this wasn't clear: you CAN research every branch, you don't have to choose.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

does the ceo need the extentions? or are there no preqisites for corporations? or do you need the extentions if you want to prototype them even if you dont have the tech yourself and take it from corp knowledgebase?

Good question smile We haven't quite worked this out yet, but I'd say corporation-level research should be connected to the same personal extensions too. Obviously there won't be many officers within a corporation who will have access to spending research points on the corp tech trees, so I don't see a need for separate extensions.

Prototyping using the corp knowledge base while you don't have the enabler extension is another thing though. I'm personally leaning towards allowing this, because those who want the production bonus will have to install the extensions anyway and I guess the serious prototyper/production guys will simply do that.

I can't begin to describe how much I'm going to enjoy this, at long last. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Some thoughts:

Why doesn't the syndicate get its own tech tree? Giving more space for that research to expand with the game as you could add more syndicate bots and specific modules.

Give all grids more room too, for t5 modules and new bots.

RIP PERPETUUM

If and when we introduce more Syndicate tech we'll likely split it down, but currently there are not eough items to warrant it. And it's really just about UI placement, since both would use common research points.

Grids can be extended to the right as much as we want, that's why I mentioned the advanced research extension in the blog, which we'll bring in when needed (columns 11 to 20).

So if/when there are more haulers added or hauling specific modules (cargo expander, anti cargo scanning module, stc ) it will all be common ???

I think i may be wise to make a transport sub~section in the industrial tree now instead of having your hands tied later. just take the whole sub tree LWF >>> Scarab and move it to industrial ...

Im just thinking a year into the future when it will cause confusion as to why
some industrial robots take common kernels and some take industrial kernels ... <<< does that really make much sense ?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The news here is that we'll also introduce new enabler extensions for each faction which will be used to unlock the research of the columns of that specific faction one by one. As there are 10 columns and 10 extension levels, this is really convenient

how many news extensions to unlock all research and what level complexity for them ?

Now i know you a little since 3 years , i guess it would be 4 or 5 extensions with level complexity 9,

so i take 4 extensions X 121 500 Ep = 486 000 EP =>  337 days ( 1 year ) to unlock all research , right ?

Tux: Items being in one tree or the other is just a UI matter, with the goal of easy overview. So transport robots can still require indy points, despite them being in the common tree. And vice versa, LWFs would still only require common points even if they were in the industrial tree. Still, in my mind transport robots in the common tree make more sense than LWFs in the indy tree. (I know, let's separate the LWF and the transport robots and then we have two tiny trees somewhere smile )

Yeah these are the grey areas...

I just happen to have an extra year of EP saved ...

Heliaso: 6 new extensions (Nuimqol, Pelistal, Thelodica, Industrial, Common, MPC), and we havent decided about the complexity yet. Definitely less than 9 though, since we need to leave space for the advanced extensions too.

Arga wrote:

Not me , i will pass of full research to nothing because i will not have available EP fuuu

Heliaso wrote:
Arga wrote:

Not me , i will pass of full research to nothing because i will not have available EP fuuu

Luckily, you don't need to research everything right away!

DEV Zoom wrote:

Tux: Items being in one tree or the other is just a UI matter, with the goal of easy overview. So transport robots can still require indy points, despite them being in the common tree. And vice versa, LWFs would still only require common points even if they were in the industrial tree. Still, in my mind transport robots in the common tree make more sense than LWFs in the indy tree. (I know, let's separate the LWF and the transport robots and then we have two tiny trees somewhere smile )

Yeah these are the grey areas...

^^roger^^
All Im asking for is a clear separation from industrial and common research .. i understand how it will work but will the new player of 1 week understand he needs to farm common kernels and industrial kernels to complete a single sub tree in the common line of research ?

I am assuming all of the other trees are of a single kernel faction ie. theolodica all in one tree pelestal all in one tree and so on.

I think this is mentioned in the December blog, but items will require a mix of RP types (up to 2). So even a thelodica laser won't just require simply thelodica kernels, but common kernels too. High-tier items (probably T3 and up) will require a mix of factional RP and hi-tech RP. Common items will only require common RP but more of it (though hi-tech for high-tier will also appear here), and buildings will be probably pure hi-tech. I'll try to make the needed RP types apparent on the UI too.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'll try to make the needed RP types apparent on the UI too.

This will help out a lot

Thanks smile

I see that it's possible to research Mesmer before Yagel smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

My one thought, Since you have messed with the EP tree several times now  How about an EP reset.  And the way you do it, You have to have an active account When the patch deploys (in december ) to get the ep reset. But your changing much, and an ep reset id due, was due long ago.

Great to see this going on and important steps towards release are taken.

So basically this makes all of us with full research pay 7-8 more months to get enough EP to invest in your new extensions to get where we already were? smile

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

So basically this makes all of us with full research pay 7-8 more months to get enough EP to invest in your new extensions to get where we already were? smile

Who said anything about 7-8 months of EP?. They haven't even decided on extension complexity. Such an important role should not be left barely on a grind, and research will become much easier to attain a specific t4 module.

Still would ask for the removal of the basic research extension with an EP refund. This extension should be at lvl 10 anyways so there is no point in keeping it.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Who said anything about 7-8 months of EP?. They haven't even decided on extension complexity. Such an important role should not be left barely on a grind, and research will become much easier to attain a specific t4 module.

Still would ask for the removal of the basic research extension with an EP refund. This extension should be at lvl 10 anyways so there is no point in keeping it.

Whats research skill complexity? How will it translate to needing 6-7 specific research tree skills maxed? How much extra EP will be needed? Heliaso pointed up there already a scenario (unlikely though it might be).

CIR Complaint Form