126 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-05-09 10:14:11)

Re: New devblog: New tech trees

Burial wrote:

Sounds like no matter what multiplier is picked, it won't scale well across different corporation sizes. One way to go is to use a static multiplier, giving bigger corporations advantage. Other way is to make the multiplier dynamic, most likely based on the number of people that have access to the Corp Research.

Here's what I propose..
Another way would be to turn the system upside down. Make it so that each researched item has leveled efficiency and time attributes that are unlocked by the amount of kernels you chew. In essence, it would make it easier to unlock items but harder to unlock better material efficiency and time levels.

If you use the system I proposed, personal and corporation research would need the same amount of research points to unlock, but corporation research would need more research points to train levels in material efficiency and time.

Screenshot to illustrate it all.

that is indeed a very good idea!

this will allow corps to share their research faster.
they can first build their corp base
after that build their personal base
and after that work long term on their boni.

that might indeed be the best solution for it. and it should not be that much harder do to so.
this way you can have your research and have it splited from the boni system that zoom pointed out to be the one why this should be so expensive. also you can get your boni up slowly and so you can benefit from it just like it grows in small steps. not just one big step that gets the bonus but its also a big and very expensive step.

127 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-05-09 14:59:38)

The problem I see with this whole idea is, the Vet corps will not have to deal with this.  I assume that all the Vet corps have all been stockpiling kernels (and now, Saving EP too).  I have been, and I know that many others are doing the same.  The second this patch drops the Vet corps will first max out personal research, and then dump all their excess RP into the corp.  I don't care what kind of multiplier the DEV's implement.  Do to beacon pits, Observer timers, and the fact that we have known that this patch was coming for months, and have all been stockpiling kernels.  This multiplier will not matter to us because we have more kernels than will ever be needed to finish all the tech.  This will not be the case for new players/new corps.  They will have to grind all of the kernels, or join one of the major power blocks. 

On the topic of power blocks,  yes, they are very detrimental to the game.  There needs to be many many different corps.  If they align into major power blocks that is fine (Which they will do) so long as there are lots of different corps in a coalition.  But this 2 party system we have now doesn't work.  Ask any American how well a 2 party system works for its government.  And by making it so that the Vet corps get the research instantly, while the new corps have to grind out the research for months, if not years,  that just further separates the old guard from any new players that come in. 

The system we have now is basically this.  If you aren't T4 fit, you are at a disadvantage, because everyone else is T4 fit.  So long as the de facto standard is T4, then the new corps need to be able to get there quickly.  And no, the new players wont be able to buy T4 with any regularity, because as demand goes up, price goes up.  So the more new players we get the higher the demand will be, the more the Producers can charge for their products.  Not to mention that the more players we get the more PVP there will be, which then further increase the demand.  On top of that, even if you are T4 fit, but your skills aren't maxed or closed to max, you are still at a disadvantage.  But, by getting the new corps to higher grade equipment sooner, they can mitigate the equipment disadvantage, and then it just becomes a question of EP / PVP experience.  Or, somehow we find a way to lower the standard of equipment to T2 and make T4 the really special stuff.  This will not happen of course, because again, the Vet corps don't produce 20 T4 items anymore, they produce 300  T4 items at a time, and have been hording equipment for months if not years.

Martha Stuart wrote:

The problem I see with this whole idea is, the Vet corps will not have to deal with this.

There are some other good points, but I wanted to focus on this one.

When you say 'Vet' corps, you actually mean vetern players. Because up until this change, the Corporation doesn't have any persistance.

The only reason there are such big stockpiles is that there's no reason to use for these corps. Althouogh the PT creation rate is limited, there also isn't any need for mass production because there's not that much PVP; meaning that the corp at this time doesn't need to bring 3 or 4 players up to 100% to get the extra PT lines.

I don't see that AC is trying to use this patch to normalize the server, so it shouldn't effect vetern players. In fact Zoom goes out of his way to say that players will not lose ground during the transistion.

The only new thing being added here, is the extra benefits that Corporations, not players, will gain with tech. With a huge multipler, that will quickly eat up the large reserves corps have. It will also create a real decision for those players that are closely tied to their corporation (officer or CEO), and do they put all their personal RP into the corp. If the multiplier is low, than it is a no-brainer, at x5 a corp like CIR will have 100% day 1. At x50 that's not so clear, because no combination of personal RP and stockpile is large enough to basically provide 50 players with 100% tech.

Corps with Vet players will of course get 100% corp tech first, that's the definition of Vet; lots of resources.

Again, and again, and again, I keep saying that corps don't need 100% tech. If every corp could produce what they needed, there would be no need for the market.

The corps that already have 100% through players won't lose that, unless they choose to dump that RP into the Corp. But that should be an IMPORTANT decision, not a no-brainer.

More importantly, the corps that had a PT'er mostly through T3 and were in that painful 1000 kernel grind to Med T4, will be able to choose 4 or even 5 trees to T4. Overnight, they'll have access to T4! Maybe not all (7) trees of T4, but they can CHOOSE which trees to complete.

For years, we have associated tech with the individual player. Everyone here is underestimating (or maybe they aren't) the impact that having Corp Tech is going to have on the game. It has to be very very difficult for Corps to complete the trees. If it is not, corps will have 100% and 5 or 6 players with 100% tech also getting FULL factory boosts...

To slow down a second though, because none of it really matters if there is no PVP. Let me rephrase that, Corporation level Production doesn't matter if there are not Large Scale PVP battles.

And by making it so that the Vet corps get the research instantly, while the new corps have to grind out the research for months, if not years,  that just further separates the old guard from any new players that come in.

This is going to be the case unless the ENTIRE nature of Perp is changed, or the server is reset. And even than, in 2 or 3 years, there would still be the 'gap'.

I'm not going to disagree with the gap, or argue that it's OK to have it, simply that everything in Perp has to change to eliminate the issue, making Tech 'easy' to get is not going to close the gap, but it's not going to make the gap wider either; the gap will just naturally expand with each passing minute.

guys, have you realy forgotten how much work its even for one person to max out your research tree?

how many months you had to work realy hard. even with the help of your corp. there are and have been plenty of corps that never finished their research trees.
asuming that we will need roughly the same amount of time/kernel in the new system, and then add the x10 multiplier then it will stay unreachable for a lot of corps. even with a decent population boost.

yes we now have gamma and yes it make a lot things more easy to get the tech, but still its a hell a lot of work. still ppl through around things like x10 mutiplier. when do you want to let them reach it? in 5 years? and that only if they focus on it and let the rest of the game be?

the tech tree should be doable in a "resonable ammount of time" even for smaller corps. yea whats resonable. lets say at least at veteran status (usefull heavy pilots) a small corp should be able to do that in a year.

if you want to add a endless grind for it then burials idea is perfect to do so...
10 additional leves on the tech tree to add boni. each level costs the same rp as the tech. then you have your x10 multiplier, but still the same amount as a solo player to get your tech. well we are not talking about the size of the bonus in production here...

130 (edited by Celebro 2013-05-09 19:27:21)

x10 is a breeze with a 500 player corp.

On another issue:

Scrap kernals, allow us to accumulate RP by just blowing up NPCs. Make it transferable just like NIC only to your corp pool and an assigned member in squad whilst grinding RP for personal research. Research should not be a trade commodity , just imagine 2000-3000 players online, grinding kernals and trading them cheaply, anyone with just money can have full research (atm).

RIP PERPETUUM

Tbh I'm too tired of the game to grind another six months to get back what I already had. Time to move on.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

guys, have you realy forgotten how much work its even for one person to max out your research tree?

how many months you had to work realy hard. even with the help of your corp. there are and have been plenty of corps that never finished their research trees.
asuming that we will need roughly the same amount of time/kernel in the new system, and then add the x10 multiplier then it will stay unreachable for a lot of corps. even with a decent population boost.

yes we now have gamma and yes it make a lot things more easy to get the tech, but still its a hell a lot of work. still ppl through around things like x10 mutiplier. when do you want to let them reach it? in 5 years? and that only if they focus on it and let the rest of the game be?

the tech tree should be doable in a "resonable ammount of time" even for smaller corps. yea whats resonable. lets say at least at veteran status (usefull heavy pilots) a small corp should be able to do that in a year.

if you want to add a endless grind for it then burials idea is perfect to do so...
10 additional leves on the tech tree to add boni. each level costs the same rp as the tech. then you have your x10 multiplier, but still the same amount as a solo player to get your tech. well we are not talking about the size of the bonus in production here...

The time for a single player hasn't changed.

We are using the term "Corp" and "Player" interchangably now, and it's not the same thing.

Tech trees should NOT be done in a 'reasonable' amount of time. This is a falicy that has been ongoing since launch, it was/is always supposed to be a large group effort to get to T4 tech. The reason it's so prevalant now is simply that the game has been ongoing for years, and as you point out some players have been working on T4 solo that whole time and are still not finished. This 'patch' to tech isn't supposed to make T4 ubiquitious, although it is going to have a dramatic effect for those players that are 'close' to T4 already, by allowing them to complete selected trees.

This is the last time I'll say this. Corporation and Personal tech advancement can't be thought of interchangably.

Character Tech advancement has been IMPROVED but not 'buffed'. Players can reach some T4 faster, but should expect a long long long solo grind still to 7xT4.

Corporations have no bar to measure against, since this is an ENTIRELY new feature, allowing Corporations as an entity to have some kind of peristance.

If players are expecting this change to somehow magically make 7xT4 (T4 for all 7 trees) achievable by players or corporations without significant effort, your expectations are misplaced.

Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

Tbh I'm too tired of the game to grind another six months to get back what I already had. Time to move on.

You shouldn't have to. Zoom says that personal RP should translate almost directly back into personal Tech trees. You'd only have to grind if you wanted to give those RP's to a Corporation.

It simply shouldn't make sense for 1 or 2 players to feed RP's into a corp and have 7xT4 available to all corp members given access to PT Manager.

Small corps can continue on just as they are now, with 1 Primary PT that can make all the PT's the corp needs.

Only Large Corps really NEED the benefits provided by a Corp PT, but even so, small corps can make slow progress toward individual trees without ever going 'backwards' or feeling like they are wasting kernels by spreading them out.

Arga wrote:
Fourfingers Frankie wrote:

You shouldn't have to. Zoom says that personal RP should translate almost directly back into personal Tech trees. You'd only have to grind if you wanted to give those RP's to a Corporation.

It simply shouldn't make sense for 1 or 2 players to feed RP's into a corp and have 7xT4 available to all corp members given access to PT Manager.

What Zoom forgot to mention is that being able to put personal RP into personal Tech trees is going to be gated by 7 new extensions, meaning ~100k EP minimum you'll have to spend to get where you are, nevermind if the complexity is higher then 1.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

135 (edited by Tux 2013-05-09 22:07:30)

Arga wrote:

Small corps can continue on just as they are now, with 1 Primary PT that can make all the PT's the corp needs.

Only Large Corps really NEED the benefits provided by a Corp PT, but even so, small corps can make slow progress toward individual trees without ever going 'backwards' or feeling like they are wasting kernels by spreading them out.

Really ? roll

@ Arga: your still stuck on the assumption that the average corp size is 50 real life players.

I imagine even if steam brings in thousands of players, the average corp size will not be more than 10 to 15 real people (which could create a corp roster of 60 to 100 members). More diverse corps > Few large corps. The numbers of members in corps is completely deceiving.

10 guys working under a x50 multiplier is unrealistic, they will see it is a waste of time to start. because even then they can all do all of the trees 5 time over to match the same amount of kernels it would take to get their corp research done.

All corps no matter their size should benefit from corp research ... NOT just the few MEGA corps. It needs to be thought of as a core element of the corporation, not a trophy system. 

I understand you want an additional never ending grind added to the game . but its not nor should it be the research system. that should be reserved for missions / reputation, gamma building and the many other things to do in the game.

The new addition of corporation research should be something that appeals to a new group of players (10 man corp) not something that they look at and say well if we ever have 50 real life players in our corp then we can start working on that.

... I really don't think adding in a feature like this and then gearing it cater to the existing Veterans is going to get the game anywhere.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The simple answer is that the system is quite different so there is no guarantee for it.

this was the answer Zoom gave when I asked if you would have the same research before as after

add to that the extensions and I just cba anymore. If your current research was already plugged in and I needed the skillpoints to research anything further it would be bearable.

I guess if your one of these corps that has over 9000 of everything already as well as proto's etc then fair enough. I get that you cant balance a game to single players so i'm not bitter about it.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

What a drama! What a live discussion! big_smile

I have an idea. How about reverse things a little and make corporation kb rate x1 and personal kb rate x10-100-whatever? So as a PT guy, after patch you will get your RP at rate x1 and can freely put them to corp RP without losses. Or spend them back to your own kb and loose afvantage.

Remember that production bonuses it's not all that corporation research would bring. Main benefit would be the independance on PT guy online/offline/unsubbed. Then, if you need that bonus, go grind it on personal level and that's it.

Whats on those saves of kernels and immediately advantages - hell that's simple. During the patch time, remove all the saved kernels and calculate RP only based on ated kernels by agents who did constructed at least 5-10-25 protos. That will filter out some ppl who will immediately start to eat all their saves smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Syndic wrote:

What Zoom forgot to mention is that being able to put personal RP into personal Tech trees is going to be gated by 7 new extensions, meaning ~100k EP minimum you'll have to spend to get where you are, nevermind if the complexity is higher then 1.

Considering players with full research have gone through the trouble for all the kernal grind they have done (or others have done for them) 100k-200k EP is not such a high investment.

RIP PERPETUUM

Tux wrote:

The new addition of corporation research should be something that appeals to a new group of players (10 man corp) not something that they look at and say well if we ever have 50 real life players in our corp then we can start working on that.

I'm trying to be optomistic.

If Perp can't do better than getting 10 man corps, than it has failed. 100+ should be the average sized corps that are shaping the landscape, 10 man should be groups of buddies just casually playing. Its true, look at 10 man corps, they maybe have 2-3 people on during the week , maybe concurrently if they are all in the same TZ, and 8 or 9 on the weekends. While 100 man corps are still only going to have 20-25 on concurrently; if they're lucky.

Large numbers of subscribers will make a game with large corps, its just how it works. If AC starts out scaling it for the current population, it will be trivial for the larger populations.

Also, the time/effort it takes now to get kernels is going to be different on a 'busy' server. The volume of kernels available on a server with 200 active players is going to be nothing compared with 2000 players, or 20000; there will actually be kernels in the AH.

I can't get excited over the prospect of 10 man corps, I'm probably being unrealistic, but if I am then it won't matter except to a small group of people.

Line wrote:

What a drama! What a live discussion! big_smile

I have an idea. How about reverse things a little and make corporation kb rate x1 and personal kb rate x10-100-whatever? So as a PT guy, after patch you will get your RP at rate x1 and can freely put them to corp RP without losses. Or spend them back to your own kb and loose afvantage.

Remember that production bonuses it's not all that corporation research would bring. Main benefit would be the independance on PT guy online/offline/unsubbed. Then, if you need that bonus, go grind it on personal level and that's it.

Whats on those saves of kernels and immediately advantages - hell that's simple. During the patch time, remove all the saved kernels and calculate RP only based on ated kernels by agents who did constructed at least 5-10-25 protos. That will filter out some ppl who will immediately start to eat all their saves smile

I know, the forums haven't seen this much activity in months!!!

141 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-05-10 00:17:28)

Arga wrote:

Stuff

If the equipment standard was T2-T3 I would agree with you, but its not.  Let's be honest here, if you aren't bringing T4, its a trash fit.  As a new player coming into this game, they not only face a resource gap, and EP gap, and an equipment gap.  New players are not going to be able to buy T4 gear all the time.  They wont be able to afford it.  But if you give them the goal of say, if you grind it out for 3 months you can get your research done for the corp.  they now have access to good gear which will swing the odds a little so they are not at such a major disadvantage. 
So long as T4 is the standard loadout, it has to be obtainable for new players with in a reasonable amount of time.  it cant be some way far off goal, or people wont stay.

Martha Stuart wrote:
Arga wrote:

Stuff

If the equipment standard was T2-T3 I would agree with you, but its not.  Let's be honest here, if you aren't bringing T4, its a trash fit.  As a new player coming into this game, they not only face a resource gap, and EP gap, and an equipment gap.  New players are not going to be able to buy T4 gear all the time.  They wont be able to afford it.  But if you give them the goal of say, if you grind it out for 3 months you can get your research done for the corp.  they now have access to good gear which will swing the odds a little so they are not at such a major disadvantage. 
So long as T4 is the standard loadout, it has to be obtainable for new players with in a reasonable amount of time.  it cant be some way far off goal, or people wont stay.

If your producing on gamma and buying Epi, your T1+T2+T+T4 price + the PT cost is going to be very close to what you'd pay for it on the 'new' T4 market. If your producing on gamma or beta, you probably have a PT'er already anyway.

Even then, your solo PT'er will be able to still create more T4 gear than they currently can, since they will be able to direct their RP, so corps won't be buying every T4 piece.

tl-dr; If a corp can't afford to use T4 now, the Tech patch isn't going to change that.

143 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-05-10 00:33:35)

Arga wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:
Arga wrote:

Stuff

If your producing on gamma and buying Epi, your T1+T2+T+T4 price + the PT cost is going to be very close to what you'd pay for it on the 'new' T4 market. If your producing on gamma or beta, you probably have a PT'er already anyway.

Even then, your solo PT'er will be able to still create more T4 gear than they currently can, since they will be able to direct their RP, so corps won't be buying every T4 piece.

tl-dr; If a corp can't afford to use T4 now, the Tech patch isn't going to change that.

you are assuming that the prices will stay the same.  If there is a massive influx of new players, prices are going to sky rocket.  Its a fundamental principle of supply and demand, and market equilibrium. 

If 3000 new players show up. Anyone who is still selling T4 at current prices is either an idiot, or doing it for some not smart reason.  Either way, prices are not going to stay where they are. (including Epri)

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Considering players with full research have gone through the trouble for all the kernal grind they have done (or others have done for them) 100k-200k EP is not such a high investment.

It's not an investment to get something, it's mandatory to get where we already are.

Pretty much like if they implemented Expert Thelodica Robot Control you'd need to spend 100k points in to drive a Seth + Seth Mk2.

It's recycling same content to keep the last few subs busy (and more importantly, paying) until Steam comes, by then those few subs will hopefully be expendable and they should have another year or two to develop while Steamlings explore the game and existing features we already chewed up and spit out years ago. Or at least that's my educated guess at the usual robotic logic.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I honestly think the Devs added the EP tie-in without understanding how it would randomly negate a current fully researcher PT who just doesn't happen to have 250k EP saved. I don't mind the conversion of
Researched tech to the new RP equivalent; it should make resuming where you left off ROUGHLY equivalent to what you had (barring the EP bottleneck)

But Zoom's only response since I asked that question was to comment on the x100 multiplier.
No word from him about the possible EP bottleneck sad

Been following this for a bit, just seeing where this is going.

As it would stand now, the multiplier at hand seems to be way out of wack.

If we were to assume it will be a 50x multiplier for corp research, and we start running the numbers, 50x seems a bit out of line.
Originally what Dev Zoom had stated 10x seemed reasonable, if not a bit high.

As if you look at it on a per cost basis, take your costs of your kernal, or Per RP, and then multiply that by your multiplier for corp research, and you get a base cost of what it would take to get said research.

Now take that number (For x50, x100, x10 for corp) and take a look at how long it will take to offset your costs, IE: a year of full proto runs?  Two years?.  So if it takes many YEARS to get just your input costs back ( in this case kernels, RP whatever you want to say it is), before profits, then what many smart producers will say is, why "throw away" your kernels for small profits years in the making, why not just sell them on the open markets and make a faster profit, sooner.

Don't try and make corp research so unobtainable that it is cost prohibited as you will just make a system that is in game, but NOT USED.

As people will see that in the short run they can sell there research to others for personal RP, turn a profit, and not use corp RP for the added bonus ( most likely 10-15% off mats). 

Keep the multiplier small, 1x to 10x, should be adequate to keep everything in check, as we have quite a few players now that to not truly have full tech.  As well as this will make the system be usable, in the near to short term, and newer corps, the same.

Dev Team think of all your items that you have in-game now as your base.  Your base of everything that you wish to build upon.  T1 - T4 is JUST the start, go up from there, re-balancing and adjusting as necessary. 

Plan to add in more mods, and if needed rename what is in game now (this is already planned).  Thus, make it so that higher tech requires a higher CORP multiplier.  The tech we have now will all be the same, new stuff will be different, as again, what we have in game now is the base of everything to come.

Another Idea, have a RP tax that corps can have, this would basically become a secondary income for corps, and create a means to move from zero corp research to full research with out breaking there members.
However, this would be fully up to the members of said corporations to set this, a GOOD thing, from anywhere to 0 - 100%.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

147 (edited by Tux 2013-05-10 04:31:40)

Arga wrote:
Tux wrote:

I'm trying to be optomistic.

If Perp can't do better than getting 10 man corps, than it has failed. 100+ should be the average sized corps that are shaping the landscape, 10 man should be groups of buddies just casually playing.

I can't get excited over the prospect of 10 man corps, I'm probably being unrealistic, but if I am then it won't matter except to a small group of people.

Do you understand the membership levels of corps in games and how they operate?

90+% of the corps in perp are small corps ...
90+% of the corps in eve , Wow, etc are small corps ...

Average corps dont go to war against the mega corps or associate too close with them for various political reasons. I assure you if at any point the majority of corps in the game are filled with 100+ real life players you will see the majority of the corps in the game slit/fracture/fall apart and create new corps ... its just human nature.

alliances are made of average size corps ...

There are FEW large corps in all games but they don't account for the majority of the game population ... they are more visible yes ... but there are more players that just play the game fly under the radar and stay small to medium size that there will ever be large mega corps... you balance the game towards needing 100+ people to do something and you have just failed.

usable content is what should be implemented into the game ... we dont need trophy systems yet .. that can come with steam

Realtalk: if I start saving EP today, how many tech trees can I finish before june?

Tund Bungler wrote:

Realtalk: if I start saving EP today, how many tech trees can I finish before june?

most likely 0 if the enabler extensions complexity is more than 2

http://clip2net.com/s/52CXFi

Tux wrote:
Tund Bungler wrote:

most likely 0 if the enabler extensions complexity is more than 2

http://clip2net.com/s/52CXFi

Damn....how am I supposed to get gobs of T4 then? Does rawr need anymore *** hauled to goonspace?