Re: Poll: The "followbot" mechanic

I answer its unfair to single acct users to not target the pvp class of multi acct users. And for this game to succeed on a larger scale. I think things need to be balanced as much as possible to those with only one acct.

And I am saying this as a 4 acct indy AND pvp guy...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

It was discussed a while back on a multi-account thread: The ONLY mechanic that deliberately supports multi boxing is the follow command, no other mechanic actually promotes this all the others are derivatives of social play.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

It was discussed a while back on a multi-account thread: The ONLY mechanic that deliberately supports multi boxing is the follow command, no other mechanic actually promotes this all the others are derivatives of social play.

I think the follow command is not a deliberate mechanic for multiboxing.

I used follow all the time when I was first roaming, so Newb me wouldn't get lost.

I used it extensively with Syndic when we were RSA buddies on ewar, so we didnt get seperated before combat started. It was useless after combat started, because we were both ducking around LOS items.

How many times did you/I let the other player go on follow coming back from a mining run. no reason for us both to drive.

These are all situations where follow was useful on a single account and really helpful. So it's not just a multibot mechanic, but it certainly is utilized for multi-accounts.

Because follow is actually useful for other than multi-account, I would hate to see it thrown out with the bath-water so to speak. Mostly because, it doesn't actually stop Macro'd Multi-bot action which is absolutely p2W and very disruptive to game play; see thread on Multibox software for reasons why this is so (Or ask Cookie).

304 (edited by Cassius 2014-01-08 23:59:54)

Rex Amelius wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Follow is used quite differently in minig than PvP as Arga points out. So any change needs to take into consideration this. And this is why a blanket "change all follow" doesn't equally affect everyone.

Yes Follow is almost irrelevant in mining. So changing Follow will not affect mining. This is my point.

The Solution of Follow nerf is aimed at Problem of multi-account advantage.

I'm sayin that Multi-account advantage comes in many varieties, including industry and mining.

So, with the Target focused on Follow, the only Multi-account class under scrutiny is the PvP class.

Why is PvP multi-account more 'abusive' than industry multi-account?

I'm saying its not fair to target only one class.

So do you think increasing tedious travel, by having 2 miners and a hauler separately walk the same 15 minute real time hike it takes to get to and set up on a remote mining site is a good feature for the Alpha carebears this game desperately needs to pay the bills with? A nerf in this area does not aid in any way the outcome of an engagement or how much ore you will produce when mining, it simply adds an extra hour or two of tedium to the game. How can this possibly be good?

My first response here in 13 pages.

I don't think I really care what is done, I will adapt.  I am a mutiboxer, but I only started mutiboxing sometime in 2013.  I somehow survived without it for 2 years beforehand.

That being said, if one of the main reasons for changing this mechanic is because "people quit because pvp was unfair", that would be a mistake.

Multiboxing would rank very low on the reasons why people have quit Perpetuum.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Can't we just leave this alone for now and let the Devs work on the what will most likely be very broken, newb island and the final touches for steam?

If your gonna nerf this mechanic, at least wait until after steam release so there will be ACTUAL players and less multi-boxing people who are trying to fill every last fleet roll.

I'm Obviously fine with less follow and more dedicated, but we don't have that kind of pop right now, so my personal opinion is to leave the followbot mechanic the way it is for now, finish steam content, launch on steam, then work on nerfing your little mechanic

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

BeastmodeGuNs wrote:

Can't we just leave this alone for now and let the Devs work on the what will most likely be very broken, newb island and the final touches for steam?

If your gonna nerf this mechanic, at least wait until after steam release so there will be ACTUAL players and less multi-boxing people who are trying to fill every last fleet roll.

I'm Obviously fine with less follow and more dedicated, but we don't have that kind of pop right now, so my personal opinion is to leave the followbot mechanic the way it is for now, finish steam content, launch on steam, then work on nerfing your little mechanic

Probably, but once players get used to something, even the new ones, the more likely they are to have a negative opinion on the change. This is MOST true when they are taking a feature away (a few people will complain about buffs just because, but it's mostly nerfs that raise the WTF levels to the WTFFF level).

Just so I'm not hypocritical, I have to encourage doing a change before the new players arrive, if Devs are indeed going to change anything.

Gunner wrote:

Zoom very specifically said he is considering making this only about PvP    "PvP flag"

I did not.

"I can be convinced to include PvP flag into the rule"

To include. As in: additionally to.

309 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-09 03:17:01)

It is a pretty important topic and it would be great if we were all clear about these things.

I will try my best to convince you that pvp flag is a small part of what should be considered in the rule.

There is like 80 pages now since you mention "pvp flag"

talking like that is like playing with dynamite around here        lol

DEV Zoom wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Zoom very specifically said he is considering making this only about PvP    "PvP flag"

I did not.

"I can be convinced to include PvP flag into the rule"

To include. As in: additionally to.

Just disable follow and approach.

Done.

I've been asked to post that the approach command should be removed from the game, as more intelligent people said a long time ago.

No approach, no followbot, no problem.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

312 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-01-09 06:32:41)

If true culprit is pay2win multi accounting true solution is game launcher ...one account launchable per PC

Argue against that!

It would never happen as it's certainly in developers interest for us to buy and use multiple accounts. This whole Follow attack is a farce. This is about ewar range.  Only nexus arguments are about EW mod. Main other mod complained about is RSA. Both ewar and range.

This whole attack focuses on one niche of multi account user and it's so transparent.

You want to limit pay2win multi-accounting then limit every form, not one tiny niche. Real power of multi-accounts lies in industry, not PvP.

Nerf launcher and watch what happens.

Sparking to other games

This feature is the very base of quite a few playstyles built only because its a sandbox mmo this isn't meant to be a theme park! why is every one so focused on player experience as a solo player.

Again Zoom this feature has been in game 3 years why is it only now being addressed and why is its only now an issue? Why was it even brought up before green light? If its multiaccounting problem then look to that other game. They offer a discount when you link 2 or more accounts together. If you multibox.... good for you why should a game dev care about how someone plays after they pay so long as its with in the EULA? Changing a basic building block in a game 3 years after most people have built on that block will cause so drama. It will likely cause more people to quit than you think I enjoy playing this game the way I have.

You really need to get GMs back in this game to tell you wtf is going on taking votes from player base is not the answer zoom your votes will always be split between the 2 big factions.

Lately the biggest problem I have with the game is it seems like the Devs are out of touch with what goes on inside there game. They ninja patch things that worked 2 weeks ago they balance things while breaking others to the point of lulz. Zoom its Avatar Creations game not STC/77th online please come ride as a ghost in our fleets to see what we see on ground.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

Lobo wrote:

Zoom its Avatar Creations game not STC/77th online please come ride as a ghost in our fleets to see what we see on ground.

So should they revert both SpT and follow changes because both were started by STC/77th?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

315 (edited by Burial 2014-01-09 10:15:31)

Follow is biggest problem in PVP because it tremendously helps multiboxing where it gives biggest and most noticable effect. It is possible to set your target to follow and apply the modules after which little to no additional input is required grossly favoring the people who bring more of those passive bots to the field. That is possible because of the follow command - without it would be harder.

What makes things worse is that dual-tripleboxing and using followbots is the norm nowadays and it won't go away in the future with population increase. It's so easy to pull off and the bonuses are tremendous.

Remove follow, wipe the game, re-release for Steam.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

That will work only with full EP reimburcement or at least free subscription according to already paid time on wipe strike.

318 (edited by Burial 2014-01-09 09:56:34)

Wipe every few years when the fracture between vets and newbies becomes too big? Last time I checked Beta stickers were off the box. lol

319 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-01-09 13:15:29)

Line wrote:
Norrdec wrote:

That will work only with full EP reimburcement or at least free subscription according to already paid time on wipe strike.

You don't own the intellectual property rights to your character pixels. Subscription is a service not an investment in property. I'd be surprised if that's not somewhere in the user agreement.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

If true culprit is pay2win multi accounting true solution is game launcher ...one account launchable per PC

Argue against that!

very simple.
i know ppl that run their second account on a 2nd computer or laptop. this will reduce multiboxing but only increase the gap of pay to win. it will favor the ppl that dont care to buy another computer or laptop. it will kill some multiboxing for the pll inbetween, that can or want to afford multible accounts, but ppl with more money will not care and still will be multiboxing.
just one example of many to be found on the web: http://www.abload.de/img/p3140575ttwnrn9.jpg

then you can go on. one account active per ip... also dont works. sometimes ppl in the same house play the same game. family ... ...

you cant prevent it that way, not without other serious problems, and thats basicly not worth it.

the lock block while following or the removal of the follow all together might be a way better solution.

personlay im against the complete follow removal because this indeed was a usefull group mechanic. fleet movement, transport trains ... ...

Rex Amelius wrote:
Line wrote:
Norrdec wrote:

You don't own the intellectual property rights to your character pixels. Subscription is a service not an investment in property. I'd be surprised if that's not somewhere in the user agreement.

You can own or not own whatever you want to, but if everything will be wiped without any of that reimbursement, 99% of vets will leave the game, that's simple, eh.

The majority of why this is such a issue currently is simply due to population and the current population trying to chop down what ever their opponent is currently using as their last leg via mechanic changes. There should be no doubt in anyone's minds that both sides use multiple accounts and at this point most likely to the maximum benefit on both sides.

Two years ago fleets were running at a 20-40% second account rate to players. This problem is only exagerated with population issues because the type of gamer who will perform this tends to have more of a vested interest in the game and thus may stay longer. This style certainly makes staying in a game with population issues much easier as you can handle all tasks in-house on your own easier than finding the right people to perform those same tasks.

The second we have population and these tasks are performed by individual players then the benefits of multi-accounting begin to waiver and eventually become more of a handicap than a benefit.

Existing Counters
INTERFERENCE..........
Population.....
Speed fits.....
e-war....
Moving....

The only logical changes that could or should come from this are to take a look at and review 'fire and forget' fits that are able to approach a target and require no user interaction to win the fight beyond approach.

Closing
Anyone who still log's in and plays this game is only building to have a further advantage over the new players coming. Because it doesn't matter if its 1 guy playing 5 or 5 guys playing to killing the 30-50+ new players. Then if they do manage to finally take you down after a few attempts you have another couple hundred fit HM's ready to go. Once they finally spec in to a color of mech though to counter or play together you have such high extensions and war chest you simply rotate your fleet composition to counter their new numbers thus continuing the land slide victories.

New players or single account players will always be crippled until they have the EP and gear to run the proper fits to beat the "cheese" mutli-account fits. It is easy once you have that knowledge and ability but the power to it is the ignorance of your enemy.

The biggest issue really is having the industry to supply your combat with mutli-account play because If I have 4 guys who run 4 Rivler Mk 2's 2-3 times a week I would be hard pressed to get 30 or 40 guys who could produce those same numbers  to fuel our PvP regardless of population. Let alone having the infrastructure to support and manage that many players properly to compete until the majority of them were in near maxed Rivlers.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:

The biggest issue really is having the industry to supply your combat with mutli-account play because If I have 4 guys who run 4 Rivler Mk 2's 2-3 times a week I would be hard pressed to get 30 or 40 guys who could produce those same numbers  to fuel our PvP regardless of population. Let alone having the infrastructure to support and manage that many players properly to compete until the majority of them were in near maxed Rivlers.

Exactly, but hey let's look off to the far left over here at this Follow mechanic... evil pay2win follow mechanic!!! So ridiculous.

Sparking to other games

324 (edited by Celebro 2014-01-09 22:12:40)

I still think the Devs have made good decision but that's because I don't see it as a multi-accounting strategy nerf. It's more to do with taking a small step in the right direction in getting back the usefulness of solo play with 1 account and that creates the need to get other players involved instead of your alts.

This is good for when steam comes too. We are going to need new players even more, the new miners will replace our alts, which can act as supporting roles/scouts etc. This is how the game was designed so that we need each other, and accomplish stuff as a group.

This achieves a couple of crucial objectives this game needs:
New players can get involved with the pvp aspect from the early start of the game, they will have fun, they will also feel needed and part of a group and game has a higher chance at player retention.

Edit: Zoom: And this is why you need to add pvp flag in the rule, because the targeting only is not enough IMO. The game will only retain players when there is a demand for them. Not by leaving them in a ghost town on alpha1s.

RIP PERPETUUM

Line wrote:
Lobo wrote:

Zoom its Avatar Creations game not STC/77th online please come ride as a ghost in our fleets to see what we see on ground.

So should they revert both SpT and follow changes because both were started by STC/77th?

SpT hasn't changed so.....

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d