Topic: Poll: The "followbot" mechanic

For those who are not familiar with it, the "followbot" mechanic is when you select another robot and click the approach button. After that your robot will automagically follow the selected robot wherever it goes.

This can be used for nice things like coordinating squad movement, but also things that are borderline pay2win (using a second account support bot as your pet basically).

Some love it, some hate it, question is: do you want to keep this function or not?

Our solution would be quite simple (and this is just one idea): approach would still work, but it would always go to the momentary position of the target, the coordinate where it has been when you clicked approach.

2 (edited by Celebro 2013-12-16 23:24:31)

Re: Poll: The "followbot" mechanic

Just to make it clearer the bot will not follow once you move I guess.

I'm not surprised if most players say no: most have a second account or more just to follow the other.

Edit: I still don't think is good mechanic so should be nerfed, this would be a good way to get newer player involved too. Either way the role of the follow has to be filled by something else, best way I think is for bots to be less dependent on a follow logistic role bot.

RIP PERPETUUM

Just a FYI, you need to remove both to actually make this effective. 

We will just make a program that spams approach to get around this. 

Just some Evil thoughts to think about.  fuuu

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Agreeing with merkle really. You would just set something up that does the same thing.

There are plenty of actual uses for follow, such as not having to stop a roam while 1 person goes AFK.

Perhaps its a situation where the mechanics don't allow 'follow' and 'lock' the same bot.

I'm sure it could be done with some interfacing program (which is against the EULA mind you, although we have no way to detect such thing...), but that requires effort as opposed to having it working out of the box in the game.

Arga wrote:

Perhaps its a situation where the mechanics don't allow 'follow' and 'lock' the same bot.

Hm yes, that would be an idea too.

I honestly think the checks and balances in game are fine for follow bots. The hard limit on remote amps for instance. The way NPC's spread wear is another.

Far more important imo from a multibox point of view is industry and liquids.

If follow bots were overpowered you would see folks routinely using them and in big fights using multiple. It does happen ofc but its the exception rather than the rule and people don't generally do more than duel box.

9 (edited by Burial 2013-12-17 02:24:16)

Make remote modules weaker than local. Simple solution.

If follow bots were overpowered you would see folks routinely using them and in big fights using multiple. It does happen ofc but its the exception rather than the rule and people don't generally do more than duel box.

They do. Either Riv/Symb follow bot for heavy or even a light ew follow bot for your EW took.

The biggest issue is Remote Sensor Amps. Sensor Amps are requirement in the current PVP landscape and with limited amount of head slots, it's just so much more effective to remote them. If they weren't such a requirement in every fight..

On one hand do I want to only use one account for pvp at most times? My god yes I am so sick of having to play 3 different guys just to be as effective as another other person. Now from an industry standpoint or just walking around for that matter, it would make it stupidly hard and annoying to people.

Poll is pointless since people who benefit the most from followbots have more votes to cast in order to defend a silly mechanic that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

please spend time on more pressing issues! The same thing is possible in eve with approach and its easily countered in pvp by kiting the enemy in to crappy terrain or buy e-war. Having a follow bot is also a liability as well cause if your in a running situation you have to watch terrain/speed and lock of that bot as well. One well timed ecm and suppressor cycle followed by a good attack can ruin a persons follow bot. In essence you can literally only do one thing on one screen unless your using multiboxing/client software which is forbidden as far as I can remember.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Arga wrote:

There are plenty of actual uses for follow, such as not having to stop a roam while 1 person goes AFK.

Easy work around I follow gunner and lock khader. He follows Khader and locks gunner. whhhhoooooo battle buddies.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Cant approach something or be approached while pvp flagged. Nerfs combat follows, doesn't make hauling such a PITA.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

I don't think the actual following ability is the problem here. It's too useful to just take away. It's the modules!

The proposed solution is so bad that I would vote "No" right now.

Your poll is kind of bad because the solution u suggested is terrible. Everyone will vote no. The pvp flag idea that shadow suggested imo (if this happens) would be the best.

Khadia Khan wrote:
Arga wrote:

Easy work around I follow gunner and lock khader. He follows Khader and locks gunner. whhhhoooooo battle buddies.

I don't want following 'killed', it just makes it slightly more complicated to use combat follow bots without effecting indy bots 'in transit'.

With either PVP or lock, a combat player can always just have a dedicated 'follow bot' as an intermediary bot. It would make more interesting engagements, since the 'follow bot' would be a prime target; do I need to explain why?

Personally I would prefer the lock, it's something that the player has control over; that is they can drop lock to follow if needed, where flags have to time out.

The poll question says "Should we nerf the followbot mechanic?" and that's the question you should answer. Our solution is just an idea how the nerf would happen.

20 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2013-12-17 03:06:02)

This poll is a joke & the fix Zoom has proposed is lol.
I get a feeling the No vote will be strong given how broken Auto Pilot can be.
Among many other reasons.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Burial wrote:

I don't think the actual following ability is the problem here. It's too useful to just take away. It's the modules!

I agree, there is nothing specifically wrong with approach, but promoting team play with nice bonuses for boosting other players is good too. Just my opinion here, but if you nerf remote abilities because single players are running multiple bots, then you lose the 'good' game play portion of promoting team play.

By this I mean, if I'm an active player on the field and have to give up an arm slot and a locked target count to SA my buddy, it should provide a good bonus.

The trouble is the game can't tell if I'm a real person actively supporting my battle buddy, or a follow-bot providing automatic support.

FYI, I voted yes.

"Perhaps its a situation where the mechanics don't allow 'follow' and 'lock' the same bot."
Changes very little, makes it marginally difficult to continue to do what we do now.  But I see Khatar addressed this.  (We as in everyone who plays.)

If you want the simplest solution, remove follow altogether, and sort everything else out later, and slower.

I would like to state that Hunter called this about three months ago.  smile

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

That's fine by me, even if nothing else comes out of this I can pull up this topic anytime someone mentions again that we have only left followbot in because we promote multiaccounting.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

That's fine by me, even if nothing else comes out of this I can pull up this topic anytime someone mentions again that we have only left followbot in because we promote multiaccounting.

Thats fine by us, we'll point out the only reason the poll passed is because everyone with 10+ accounts can vote Yes on each account, because you promote multi-accounting and Pay 2 Win.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Ok, I voted "yes" and here is my point:
If you equip masked light ewar robot with RSAs, and nexus, you don't need to equip Sensor amplifiers in the head slots. So you will have more functions just because of you paid an extra account. If you will pay several accounts - you can use it as repair bots. Moreover you can even use 10+ repair bots, so the enemies will have to kill them first after that maybe you will kill the main char.

How it looks in the field?
Let's imagine encounter 10v10 real ppl. If everyone will bring the only one bot - it will be really fair PvP, where will decide squad setups, tactics, landscape and so on.

Now let's imagine 10v10, where one of two factions will bring the follow bots: Extra bots confuses enemies, boosts allies, gives buffs, and mony other nice things. It's still 10v10 ppl, but this will be not fair PvP, where decides who are paid more.

STEAM means using one account for one human. If you have a big hopes on steam - you should adjust the game on it's requirements.

Some extra words: I vote not exactly for disabling the follow mechanic. First of all it should be disabled only for PvP-flagged bots (imho). My point is: character should be very useful when you use it as main character and should be totally useless as alt-tabbed.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...