Re: Spark Teleports

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ok this might have been already suggested and if so I'm sorry, but how about individual cooldowns PER spark teleport target? Jump to a target, cooldown starts for that one only.

This would make it possible to use the system to jump around all your targets exactly once within a given time, which is still ok for marketeers to modify/add their orders, but rules out jumping back and forth quickly between two targets.

This could even have a substantially longer cooldown too, like 12 or 24 hours.

That was one of my questions, is if you could do individual vs global cooldown, because per spark cool-down would be better than global; and as you say solves the hotbox issue.

Celebro wrote:

Dev Zoom: That will improve the current issue, but not solve it entirely.

It may acutally be a good compromise between making travel less dreadful, but still making it a stragtegic decision about how to move about.

528 (edited by Celebro 2013-08-20 21:15:34)

Arga wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Dev Zoom: That will improve the current issue, but not solve it entirely.

It may acutally be a good compromise between making travel less dreadful, but still making it a stragtegic decision about how to move about.

Yes I agree. It prevents abuse.

On another note could you also block sparking 1 hour before an intrusion is due to the relevant target OP , until the sap closes or taken?

RIP PERPETUUM

529 (edited by Heliaso 2013-08-20 21:35:45)

it should be an individual cooldown for each secondary spark and the cooldown start when you jump.

Ex: http://i.imgur.com/oiTj68x.jpg?1

I forgot Primary spark but it's just an example

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ok this might have been already suggested and if so I'm sorry, but how about individual cooldowns PER spark teleport target? Jump to a target, cooldown starts for that one only.

This would make it possible to use the system to jump around all your targets exactly once within a given time, which is still ok for marketeers to modify/add their orders, but rules out jumping back and forth quickly between two targets.

you would have to make it so you could not delete the spark during this time fuuu ...  because this effectively increases the cost for sparking from 1k to 11k ...

example i jump to ICSB my timer starts ... i just delete the ICSB spark to kill the timer and buy a new one . for 10K.

Zoom you have access to the logs .. how many people or % of people spend all day jumping back and forth between two stations? and this doesnt do anything to help market watchers .,.. it just hurts them even more because they will not be able to "spark back" the the terminal they were just at to buy that awesome deal that went on the market 10 minutes ago.

There should be NO cool down / Penalty for sparking to stations that your own corporation OWNS.

^^ add to 24hr timer and I could see people supporting it other than a small few ^^

remote sell & purchase on market needs to happen before cooldowns are added

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

For me , 10 or 15 min is acceptable, if above 15min, just delete spark teleport , it's will be faster to buy a sequer and some stantard teleport.

532 (edited by Burial 2013-08-20 22:06:49)

I feel the same as Tux.

The issues pointed out were that people can jump their fleets around the map without any issues - still present and that people can jump around the island infront of the attackers/cut them off - still possible. I let you make up your own mind whether those issues are actual or not, but adding something just for the sake of adding is not worth it. The idea is cool and all, but more hurt than gain.

I personally would wait with that issue. Deal only with problems you are certain about.

Tux wrote:

There should be NO cool down / Penalty for sparking to stations that your own corporation OWNS.

Could work like that.

But i'm really for no cooldown on spark , it's so usefull, my life on perpetuum changed when they implemented it, add a cooldown will just do the game more annoying with the move.

Part of me sort of hopes they don't change it, just to watch the world burn smile

1 hr global cooldown.  Like helisao suggested he"ll just buy a sequer.  This is good.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I say introduce remote buy/sell orders and a contract system first - also remote destroy please. Then get rid of ALL spark teleport except TO gamma terminals. A blood spark to home station should suffice for Alpha/Beta.

537 (edited by Hunter 2013-08-21 13:53:00)

What the problem Ville? It was useful and fine untill applied against you?

... Ok. I have some tips here:
I think that current system enough good. I would add only two simple rules:
1) Possible to set home base on alphas only.
2) Cooldown 15 minutes after dying in PvP for using spark teleport.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

I'm at the point where I am just waiting for the I told you so spam.

Just want to say that a SpT cooldown will effectively kill all pvp. It may make it easier for beta outposts to be taken, but all it takes currently is more than 4 guys working together to accomplish that anyway. Instead of sparking for a chance to actually partake in some pvp, it will now be reserved for sap defense only. Everyone will turtle in gamma behind their walls and only come out to defend saps.

And you sure as hell shouldn't have a spark cooldown longer than your next intrusion time. You should always have the ability to defend your own sap.

The biggest thing I don't like about the spark cooldown is it seriously affects my ability to enjoy the game to its fullest. I enjoy the indy carebear side of the game as well as the pvp side. And a cooldown will penalize me and make me decide between using my spark for indy purposes or pvp purposes. Now I cant go run missions or check markets or buy things without negatively affecting my chance for getting to pvp. With a cooldown, I now have to decide each night if I wanna carebear or if I want to pvp.

I shouldn't be penalized for trying to enjoy all this game has to offer. While someone who just wants to pvp or  just wants to carebear, isnt nearly as affected.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

And you sure as hell shouldn't have a spark cooldown longer than your next intrusion time. You should always have the ability to defend your own sap.

LOL

As if sparking is the ONLY way to get to an outpost.

This is why is needs to be changed before population increases, before the mindset that sparking is the only way to travel gets ingrained.

Arga wrote:

before the mindset that sparking is the only way to travel gets ingrained.

It seems it is already ingrained.

RIP PERPETUUM

542 (edited by Burial 2013-08-21 20:23:18)

It's only viable method if you don't want to spend hours on round trips. There are some playertypes who would like that gameplay but not many.

Its not the only way to get to an outpost. But it is the only way to get to an outpost that doesn't take a half an hour. If this game becomes about who wants to spend the most time walking and dropping teleports. Then this game is dead where it stands.... Forcing players to spend 30 minutes traveling everytime they want to have a chance of pvp, and 30 minutes traveling back to where you came from afterwards is ***. And it is poor game design.

Shouldn't have to choose between mining or pvping. I should be able to do both.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

If you want to defend your sap and not walk around you should live there. Might as well have one of each type of island until player base increases.

RIP PERPETUUM

If there was a reason to live, actually live not just visit, Beta and teleports weren't pinch points then the travelling time to get PvP problem would be solved.

Solutions have been suggested for both. Devs should think about them.

546 (edited by Ville 2013-08-21 21:02:34)

I remember hauling my goods to different outposts to get better % efficiency.  The reason no one lives on Beta is there's no population AND SpT!  And more population will only intensify the problem.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

If there was a reason to live, actually live not just visit, Beta and teleports weren't pinch points then the travelling time to get PvP problem would be solved.

Solutions have been suggested for both. Devs should think about them.

Back when I started, shortly after release, I was eager to move to beta mine epriton kill higher ranked npcs, the risk vs reward was acceptable. Moving there with my first corp was really fun times, I lost a bots but my income was more than enable to cover for loses and make a tidy profit. PVP was a daily thing back then.

No cheap mobile teleports and they were expensive for most back then. Everyone moved around and most never complained about travel . What has changed now? Most of us vets don't need much of anything population is much lower and game world is bigger. PVP is hard to get now, instant teleport is not a long term solution. For this game, design has to revolve  around planning for a larger player base, you don't plan for failure.

RIP PERPETUUM

Ville wrote:

The reason no one lives on Beta is there's no population AND SpT!

Well, quite. Why live there when you can just pop in for SAPs - 'cause thats the only reason to go now. Some exclusive Beta PvE (indy and pew pew) needed.

Celebro wrote:

PVP is hard to get now, instant teleport is not a long term solution.

Almost the opposite I would say - still retain for going TO gamma terminals. But other things have to change before it is removed.

Shadowmine wrote:

If this game becomes about who wants to spend the most time walking and dropping teleports. Then this game is dead where it stands.... Forcing players to spend 30 minutes traveling everytime they want to have a chance of pvp, and 30 minutes traveling back to where you came from afterwards is ***. And it is poor game design.

Shouldn't have to choose between mining or pvping. I should be able to do both.

It was once so however it was more like 45mins+ to get to that possible pvp. This is also why a lot of us stopped roaming to PvP. Its never fun to get all dressed up for the party to only get stood up </3

Lets look at  the fact that as a attacker NOW I need to still spend 10+ Mins in route to get to PvP. Once there I attack someone say a Miner. The defender now knows where I am as well as what I am using. They are then able (Assuming all preparations are made) to Teleport to the nearest base, deploy counter bots to engage.

So they are on this island, you are flagged and they now are responding to me the attacker. They can now simply deploy from 1 nearby-terminal or any other terminal. Assuming my enemy is of equal skill and size, they will beat my every move and turn period with the mobility provided from multiple deployments from terminals on the same island in PvP.

I want to prevent a group of attackers from being utterly shut down at every PvP  attempt  on their island roaming or sap.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

This is exactly why spark tp is perfectly fine as it is.. it just comes down to population and balance.. if these islands are full of people, who gives a *** about traveling if a fight is around every corner. I can argue just as fine that once alpha is full, with functioning markets, spark tp's should be a thing of the past, as it facilitates a more perfect market that is required for a fun transport/trading profession.

But the reality of things is this; this game is currently set up too big (6 alpha + 3 beta is where it should be at right now, preferably with a denser teleport network), so spark tp is the next less worse thing.