Re: Spark Teleports

Needs a hammer: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … teleports/

Faster movement in this game is a good thing; especially if there is a hope of retaining players from Steam. 

I returned recently to this game after a long hiatus (former NEX member).  I quickly remembered what I didn't like about this game: many circuitous pathways, including access to terminals, like the lines at Disneyland - they manage to turn 10 linear feet into 25 miles by going back and forth and around barriers and through gaps in the steepness.  Yes, this was improved with better freeways and xporter beacons, but not improved nearly enough for frustration free game play.  Also, even with the freebie speed buff from the former extension, the bots still move far too slow.  Travel time should be at a minimum so that the time spent actually involved in action is maximized.

Personally, I love how we can spark around - it allows us to take advantage of opportunities for fun.  Example: I'm mining solo on New Virginia; the corp announces a beacon slam: get to terminal, spark to gamma --> group fun begins ! 

Exploits ?  I think not.  If everybody has the same capability, what is the issue ?  Example: PvP corp projects 50 mechs rapidly into the theater of operations resulting in domination of opponent.  Um, what is preventing the opponent from projecting similar qty's of destructive or defensive power onto the battlefield?

Sparking makes the game more fun by minimizing time spent NOT actually playing.  So if you consider slow, plodding and lengthy runs to get to the action "playing the game", then vote for slower bots, and elimination of freeways, xporter beacons and sparking.

If you prefer getting into the action over traveling to the action, vote to keep the sparking thing.

Lastly, if new players from Steam are like me, they're gonna hate the slow travel and windy pathways that resemble the  lines at Disneyland.  Hershfield is a great example of this.

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

Faster movement in this game is a good thing; especially if there is a hope of retaining players from Steam. 

I returned recently to this game after a long hiatus (former NEX member).  I quickly remembered what I didn't like about this game: many circuitous pathways, including access to terminals, like the lines at Disneyland - they manage to turn 10 linear feet into 25 miles by going back and forth and around barriers and through gaps in the steepness.  Yes, this was improved with better freeways and xporter beacons, but not improved nearly enough for frustration free game play.  Also, even with the freebie speed buff from the former extension, the bots still move far too slow.  Travel time should be at a minimum so that the time spent actually involved in action is maximized.

Personally, I love how we can spark around - it allows us to take advantage of opportunities for fun.  Example: I'm mining solo on New Virginia; the corp announces a beacon slam: get to terminal, spark to gamma --> group fun begins ! 

Exploits ?  I think not.  If everybody has the same capability, what is the issue ?  Example: PvP corp projects 50 mechs rapidly into the theater of operations resulting in domination of opponent.  Um, what is preventing the opponent from projecting similar qty's of destructive or defensive power onto the battlefield?

Sparking makes the game more fun by minimizing time spent NOT actually playing.  So if you consider slow, plodding and lengthy runs to get to the action "playing the game", then vote for slower bots, and elimination of freeways, xporter beacons and sparking.

If you prefer getting into the action over traveling to the action, vote to keep the sparking thing.

Lastly, if new players from Steam are like me, they're gonna hate the slow travel and windy pathways that resemble the  lines at Disneyland.  Hershfield is a great example of this.

Well wrote, good read ! Thx mainly I agree!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I agree, Spark Teleportation is not broken and we should leave as is.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

If you want to know why its game breaking, start reading last 50 pages.

Stop being lazy in game.

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Hell yeah cancel the change - after 48 pages it will be epic lol

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Rex, seriously, its about our self interests? Never has been. The only motivation for self interest SpT change has been from your side, with this thread, in order to break our monopoly on Gammas and Betas.

Simply because you didn't have the active playing numbers.
So you guys decide to punish us by this troll thread to remove a mechanic that favoured us because of our current position.

A simple 5-10 minute cooldown would have tweaked the mechanic so it would not be broken.

Your forum campaign worked on Zoom and you got a response ...  was the "broken" fixed? Nope, just less SpT. No cooldown fix at all. You all cried about the Steam influx, all your forum campaign did was make it more difficult for a new player to play in 66% of the game world. That will help them stay. Right. Walking is Good. Right.

You guys jumped the gun though. You cry for a change because it allowed us to control all the stations. Then you have playing numbers, equal or greater to our numbers and all of a sudden we lose outposts, our gammas get sieged ...

But no SpT change yet .... Oops ... hopefully the Devs don't notice ...

I guess us owning everything really WAS because of who was playing and who was not.

My interest is the health of the game, it needs fixing to retain players and grow. I don't support anything I think is not good for the game ... My corp, my alliance are but player made entities in the game, its not hardcoding ... all you guys have done is forum warriored a change to mechanic that helps you and doesn't even fix the basic problem. And then you have come in the last page or 2 and openly brag about what you did, not for the good of the game but how you are getting the change and how it screws us. Lol you must think the Devs are very stupid.

But, good luck, cya in game.

Cassius wrote:

Rex, seriously, its about our self interests? Never has been. The only motivation for self interest SpT change has been from your side, with this thread, in order to break our monopoly on Gammas and Betas.

So you guys decide to punish us by this troll thread to remove a mechanic that favoured us because of our current position.

A simple 5-10 minute cooldown would have tweaked the mechanic so it would not be broken.

Your forum campaign worked on Zoom and you got a response ...  was the "broken" fixed? Nope, just less SpT. No cooldown fix at all. You all cried about the Steam influx, all your forum campaign did was make it more difficult for a new player to play in 66% of the game world. That will help them stay. Right. Walking is Good. Right.

You guys jumped the gun though. You cry for a change because it allowed us to control all the stations. Then you have playing numbers, equal or greater to our numbers and all of a sudden we lose outposts, our gammas get sieged ...

I guess us owning everything really WAS because of who was playing and who was not.

My interest is the health of the game, it needs fixing to retain players and grow. I don't support anything I think is not good for the game ... My corp, my alliance are but player made entities in the game, its not hardcoding ... all you guys have done is forum warriored a change to mechanic that helps you and doesn't even fix the basic problem. And then you have come in the last page or 2 and openly brag about what you did, not for the good of the game but how you are getting the change and how it screws us. Lol you must think the Devs are very stupid.

Your missing the point completely.

The spark change is needed because force projection with sparks is *** overpowered.

All the recent station changes have done is emphasize that.

The fact that we wanted the change before and want it still just goes to show that it was always wanted for the right reasons - fixing a bad mechanic - and not for the reasons you keep loudly proclaiming.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Cassius wrote:

"our" side?

The Side of the spark debate about Spark mechanics?
Or Side on the political map about who is butt hurting whom?

There s a big difference. Sorry you can't help but marry the two.

And I joined this debate 30 pages ago, not 2. Re-read bud.

Also, this spark debate is only a subset of the overarching problem of navigation. Sparks were a terrible solution to an existing probelm. Sparks will be nerfed soon, but not even remotely enough.

Hopefully, Devs will find time for more global solution to overall navigation problem that will not also provide PvP inta power projection, like current version of SpT has done.

This is not a troll thread. Sorry you cannot distinguish the issues, separate the political affiliations and SEE beyond your own confusion.

Sparking to other games

The sparks change is going to suck giant balls, but it is for the better.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Rage Blackout wrote:

Simply put, I don't think so.  I think it affects only the immediate, but will handicap the future. Just my opinion.

@ Jita, the recent station changes are simply a result of you guys having equal numbers, and the ability to take the stations by force. Nothing else. We don't have the numbers most nights when you do. We still have the SpTs at these locations.

@ Rex ...  not a troll thread? C'mon, Ville started it ... thats 80% guarantee right there.  Don't confuse the fact that the actual tiny sliver of a problem, a lack of a small cooldown on SpT, hasn't been used as an "excuse" to push this while a very big "side" benefit has been to handicap the largest alliance that was left playing.

Bottom line, I see you guys playing in numbers again and balance returning to the game, you see SpT change coming and us consolidating our SpT locations as the reason for the station change ... who's right? hard to say.  but please don't think for one second I don't understand everyones position and motivations.

Cassius wrote:
Rage Blackout wrote:

Simply put, I don't think so.  I think it affects only the immediate, but will handicap the future. Just my opinion.

@ Jita, the recent station changes are simply a result of you guys having equal numbers, and the ability to take the stations by force. Nothing else. We don't have the numbers most nights when you do. We still have the SpTs at these locations.

@ Rex ...  not a troll thread? C'mon, Ville started it ... thats 80% guarantee right there.  Don't confuse the fact that the actual tiny sliver of a problem, a lack of a small cooldown on SpT, hasn't been used as an "excuse" to push this while a very big "side" benefit has been to handicap the largest alliance that was left playing.

Bottom line, I see you guys playing in numbers again and balance returning to the game, you see SpT change coming and us consolidating our SpT locations as the reason for the station change ... who's right? hard to say.  but please don't think for one second I don't understand everyones position and motivations.

Dude, I know Ville is an infamous troller, but to be so *** blinded by your own prejudice of him to miss 50 pages of substantive debate ...you are thick headed on the matter. On this issue Ville is right. That he trolls on forums is irrelevant to this argument.

And it's been you and others from STC spewing this garbage argument about how SpT has allowed STC to monopolize map. You took control cause no one was playing. We all know this.

But again this debate is not about STC politics it's about a broken game mechanic. My God Man. What? You got *** in you ears?

Sparking to other games

Cassius wrote:

while a very big "side" benefit has been to handicap the largest alliance that was left playing.

...and there is Cassius admission to opposing SpT nerf due to personal self interest. Bro, the nerf effects us all. You should be happy because with a competent PvP opponent you would be the ones without outposts. And tough *** that you built 20 bases on Gamma and can't control them with 12 guys. My God!

/corp dialogue/
FYI ***, if I can find more time to play with newborn I'll be sure STC burns for destroying my assets in Langrum. And you have the balls to gloat about it being your northern core stronghold? When you cowards attacked it while we were away? Always liked you RL Cassius ...still do despite your forum ravings (beginning with your brazen CIR thread months ago). But in game I'll be seeking your tears. SpT irrelevant on this matter.
/corp dialogue/

Sparking to other games

Mrs Pickerel wrote:

Um, what is preventing the opponent from projecting similar qty's of destructive or defensive power onto the battlefield?

That's just the problem, there is something preventing both sides from projecting onto the battlefield, outpost ownership.

Why and how that's the issue, is covered in the previous 48 pages, basically it's a broken king of the hill model.

1,190 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-16 21:03:29)

The Spark Teleport System was used by STC to stuff money in their pockets for over a year abusing missions system and using "force projection" to easily defend many station islands with no penalties.

10's of Billions of nic in mission abuse.  The Spark teleport system was key in that happening.

That is the truth.

Everything else is BS

1,191 (edited by Celebro 2013-12-16 21:35:34)

I can't believe this is still going. Just lol

It is clearly a broken mechanic, that will be fixed (somewhat). Instantly moving around wherever your please, without getting seen, is not good game play in a sandbox, actually it is close to instances with no drawbacks. Is like all the players lives on one Outpost and the biggest blob wins, then there are copies of the same outpost with same people than can access instantly.

RIP PERPETUUM

1,192 (edited by Cassius 2013-12-17 02:28:13)

Rage Blackout wrote:

The Spark Teleport System was used by STC to stuff money in their pockets for over a year abusing missions system and using "force projection" to easily defend many station islands with no penalties.

10's of Billions of nic in mission abuse.  The Spark teleport system was key in that happening.

That is the truth.

Everything else is BS

Ok ... whatever.
Please tell me, what would have been more effective to prevent this abuse?

The current proposed SpT changes.
A 5-10 minute cooldown for sparking.

The Devs left things as they were because the actual fix, the new assignment system, was coming "soon". It's not our fault, nor is it yours, they took far longer than they expected to implement that system, which incidentally also efffectively prevented missions from being lucrative.

Again, how many on your side ran missions when you controlled Dom before? You were happy to allow me to pay you for the privelege of running missions there ... is it my problem you did not take advantage of the stations and the missions you controlled at that time? Sounds like a "you" problem to me.

If 5 people are playing a game thats designed for 5000, and 4 of those people are on the same side, of course there's force projection. Lol, the only thing that will stop the force projection is when the lone dude gets some of his buddies back and the numbers are equal.

Lo and Behold, look whats happening.

If SpT had a cooldown timer longer than the time it would take to walk between stations on Beta for accepting assingments, then SpT would not have been a factor, right?

Hence why I say all that was needed was a 5-10 minute cooldown. Use your brains and figure it out.
Also, you all VOLUNTARILY STOPPED PLAYING ... that was your choice not ours. We continued to play. Why cry about a choice you made that gave us an advantage?

You guys are like the kid who loses at a game and threatens to go home, hoping everyone will stop playing and follow him, but all the other kids keep playing. Eventually the kid stops crying and keeps playing because he likes the game.

Welcome back, the game is far more challenging with you playing. Cya in game.

1,193 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2013-12-17 06:11:46)

15min cool down is not stupidly long but enough to make you want to choose when you use it a little better smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Cooldown for SpT or for deploying after SpT - that's the question.

Yes game should have like 5000 players and not 50. With 5000 you'd certainly see how totally broke SpK mechanic is. A 15 minute cool down doesn't come remotely close to solving issue. MAYBE a 24 hour would but only if you had to also wait like 10 days to change target locations.

But that you guys think 15 minutes is the trick only illustrates that you're clearly still not seeing the big issue. But if 15 minutes is enough to stop you from using it, says more about you than anything else. Lazy or ADD or something.

See ya in game for while till I get bored again and come back when the hell I feel like it.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

Yes game should have like 5000 players and not 50. With 5000 you'd certainly see how totally broke SpK mechanic is. A 15 minute cool down doesn't come remotely close to solving issue. MAYBE a 24 hour would but only if you had to also wait like 10 days to change target locations.

But that you guys think 15 minutes is the trick only illustrates that you're clearly still not seeing the big issue. But if 15 minutes is enough to stop you from using it, says more about you than anything else. Lazy or ADD or something.

See ya in game for while till I get bored again and come back when the hell I feel like it.

I agree with you that it's needs tweaking. Instant jumping between Beta terminals to check the islands out for PVP opportunities is probably very offputing to anyone trying to live on Beta. Only problem is the fix: People acknowledge there is a problem but the actual solution does very little to fix it.

It's still possible to have sparks in all of the Beta terminals.
It's still possible to instantly spark your fleet around with little to no concequences.

Only people getting the tail end here are people on Gamma who aren't the problem.

I'm really digging spark tp atm.  Xiantor to seige, collect loot in Dom.  Flip production in gamma.  The to tellesis for to ghank, then to asitec B to collect more free loot then back to Xiantor.  All in 30 mins!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

I'm really digging spark tp atm.  Xiantor to seige, collect loot in Dom.  Flip production in gamma.  The to tellesis for to ghank, then to asitec B to collect more free loot then back to Xiantor.  All in 30 mins!

With the change proposed that will be the same, just less points to visit. 10-15 min cooldown will suit better.

1,199 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-12-17 16:11:11)

*edit: Don't post private messages in public if the other person did not agree to it. - DEV Zoom

But but!! it illustrated my point so well!

its called a "Leak" Zoom, and they are all the rage at the moment.

1,200 (edited by Line 2013-12-17 16:17:57)

Martha Stuart wrote:

*edit: Don't post private messages in public if the other person did not agree to it. - DEV Zoom

But but!! it illustrated my point so well!

its called a "Leak" Zoom, and they are all the rage at the moment.

1. Send it to your alt, add few words there, like "Dear alt, please read that, and if you'll decide to post in on forums - I don't mind
2. Receive it on alt, post it on forums
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!