726 (edited by Sundial 2013-08-31 06:21:33)

Re: Spark Teleports

Tux wrote:
Sundial wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

Awesome, back to comparing apples and oranges again. Pretty sure we went through this back on pages 13-17...

Apples to apples, its really not difficult to grasp. Its like comparing WoW to Rift. They have some differences but their core game play is almost exactly the same.

What a joke ... sure both are "sandbox" games but aside from that there are very different games... its like comparing a Fighter jet to a tank... sure both are in the military but they are two completely different animals wink

I played eve for many many years i know what Im talking about .... even the core mechanics are different i would go as far as to say that the closest thing they have in common is time base experience.

try to recommend that eve implement WASD and see how that goes lol

24HR reactivation FTW !!!

Dude, do you really want to go there? You are obviously trolling Tux, no one can be that stupid after that much time in both games..

Everyone is acting as if Perpetuum was designed to support the ~10 players it has now, that is obviously not the case.

Cycle times, alpha damage, modules, ships/bots, mining, manufacturing, damage projection, force projection, locking system, ewar, its all the same bud.

EDIT:

Signature radius, demobs/webs, explosion size, nexus/links, shields/armor, capacitor, peak recharge, jump gates, rr/energy transfer/logistics, aggression timer, alpha/beta/gamma highsec/lowsec/nullsec. this is really too easy, I am going to stop now. Take the fanboy goggles off, its not going to do you any good to pretend there are more differences than similarities.

The only real practical difference I can think of is teraforming and the lack of cynos. The rest is a matter of polish, plain and simple.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

/troll off lol

Im glad to see your still interested in Perpetuum  Sundial

/troll on:

all thoes mechanics are totally different when you add in LOS and terrain ... EvE has nothing on Perp pvp.
in EvE you Lock and shoot ... /pvp done

you can even shoot THROUGH asteroids lol

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

tongue

Arga wrote:

30 pages yet?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

729 (edited by Sundial 2013-08-31 06:26:15)

Tux wrote:

/troll off lol

Im glad to see your still interested in Perpetuum  Sundial

/troll on:

all thoes mechanics are totally different when you add in LOS and terrain ... EvE has nothing on Perp pvp.
in EvE you Lock and shoot ... /pvp done

you can even shoot THROUGH asteroids lol

Fair enough Tux, but don't act like there are huge differences outside a couple individual systems big_smile

EDIT:

BTW I subbed for 3 months lol

Damn, I wanted to be the first post on page 30.....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

Damn, I wanted to be the first post on page 30.....

Denied! big_smile

Sundial: Not sure how long you have been away but, no one really lives on beta anymore to defend a sap you just need to spark full force,it's a joke. This leaves small/ squads unable to take any OP. The biggest advantage small forces had was mobility, is now on par with blobs.

Eve has less powerful force projection problems too, Jump bridges , instant teleportation is even more OP:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/22 … p-bridges/

RIP PERPETUUM

Successful troll is success.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Celebro wrote:

Sundial: Not sure how long you have been away but, no one really lives on beta anymore to defend a sap you just need to spark full force,it's a joke. This leaves small/ squads unable to take any OP. The biggest advantage small forces had was mobility, is now on par with blobs.

Eve has less powerful force projection problems too, Jump bridges , instant teleportation is even more OP:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/22 … p-bridges/

You are right, jump bridges and cynos together are less powerful than spark tele in its present form. Its a wet dream mechanic for any alliance/coalition holding massive amounts of territory or moons.

The very first thing I remember thinking when spark teleport was added is "Well this is going to create MASSIVE power projection problems" but hindsight is 20/20 and at the time I didn't understand it was yet another low population "wall mechanic".

30 pages. gz you realy did it...

I want to remind everyone a 4 hr cooldown is fair.

Ville wrote:

Successful troll is success.

The reason why this thread was started. Has nothing to do with the actual game.
Commence next forum campaign in 3, 2, 1 ....

I was actually referring to Sundial, but it's ok.

*edit: Rude. - DEV Zoom

30 pages just shows how passionate both sides are, if it was just a troll, it would not have made 20; and certainly not a fair balance of pages between differing view points.

Those who are left care. smile

741 (edited by Ville 2013-09-03 18:51:45)

I see someone ran to daddy Zoom.

742 (edited by Burial 2013-09-03 18:52:57)

It was me. o/

743 (edited by Ville 2013-09-03 19:04:17)

It's alright *** got to look out for one another.

Arga wrote:

30 pages just shows how passionate both sides are, if it was just a troll, it would not have made 20; and certainly not a fair balance of pages between differing view points.

When you take out the 100 comments by Ville that state "x cooldown is fair" with nothing to back it up, you realize its just a troll thread. Why do you think he's now pushing 4 hour cooldown? Because that's guaranteed to cause more replies than the "one hour cooldown" comments that people simply skip over in order to read actual comments.

745 (edited by Ville 2013-09-04 12:13:24)

I think if you slow down and take time to clearly read what has already been put on paper then jumping to the last pages and going, "Herp Derp, I'm Cassius and totally irrelevant, please someone look at me!  Please! Guys I just made fun of Ville on the forums.  Guys, guys?  Why no one talking to me?  Guys?  Come on guys?  Why is everyone laughing?" 

The point has been made many times over WHY it is a bad thing.  I started the Thread with a 1 OR 4 hour cool down.  So if you have problems keeping up try not to post.  Your making your self look even more out of touch then you already were.

*NECRO THE POST*

I had strange feelings when I saw spark teleport implementation. At the beginnings. Seems like somebody just now aern the feeling to post this.

Just theoretically I dont like what is state. Because Perpetuum is a "realistic" game and in reality you should not act without traveling somewhere. Personally I more likely the way what Perpetuum used before spark teleports: "You need to be there with foot." I also understand the movement in here also a pita especially on Gamm O.o I didn go to much to gamma before spark after I was there much more times.

But now is not soo bad thing and many player like the state, but maybe some balancing is wouldnt be bad for this but I nearly cant see a solution :S.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I don't think you should have more than five sparks and there should be no ability to spark too a beta island

748 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-05 03:51:09)

So I just read the entire thread. I have an idea, so bear with me.

Suggestion: Add a "spark recalibration time". For each 1000m*some_multiplier you teleport from or to gamma or beta, you add 1 minute to your spark recalibration timer.

Your spark recalibration timer will accumulate from jumps up to 24 hours ago in which time after it will start to clear. This will make people think about where they spark to and prevent excess abuse of fast travel. Jumping back and forth to a far away station would add quite a bit of extra calibration time, you would need to pick and choose sparks wisely else you could wind up with a timer that lasted quite a while, but obviously never more than 6 hours or so.

By doing this you would have to choose your sparks wisely and you couldn't use it to jump around rapidly too much. This would give back tactical relevance to where your staging island is. Now granted there would still be easy ways to game the system such as jumping around multiple alt scout characters but technically you can already do that anyway without spark teleport so it doesn't matter too much.

Dev Zoom, I know you remember why intrusion 2.0 was put in place. It obviously was for a lesser reason than what the current spark teleport system enables. We shouldn't be encouraging spam of fast travel mechanics unless there are serious drawbacks to them.

An easier solution is lowering the spark limit to 5 locations, that would at least limit the scope of power projection the current system enables. Still though the fact that its instant and without a cool down still opens this solution to abuse even with a more limited scope.

EDIT:

I don't see alliances using spark teleport for sap defences as a problem. Showing up to defend your outpost is important. Too many defenses in one day will obviously wear any entity under attack out. What I do see as a problem is abusing sparks in combination with detectors and then projecting a force to an island every time its used. Spark teleport is a good feature for convenience and pinpointed strategic uses. We do need to stop any potential for abuse via excessive power projection in combination with scouting as well as giving staging islands locations tactical significance. If you want to fully control your islands use you really need to be there.

Limiting sparks is a good idea too.

The Epriton thing will generate the demand for alteration to Sparks from all sides.

Like Sundials thinking as well.