151 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-04 21:40:41)

Re: Epriton to be removed from gamma islands

Tux the difference now is the research is available since the game has been out this long combined with the new research system.

Epriton wasn't the main bottleneck for T4 production back then, prototyping was for 99% of the player base.....

This wont change availability of T4 items, it will however change their prices.

edit:

clarification

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

152 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-09-04 21:50:34)

Shadowmine wrote:

As a miner, I say HOORAY for 14 nic per unit of Epi! Mining is a viable profession again!

I second this, the market has been in a slump recently.  For any marketeers out there this is gonna be good, it's gonna force prices up to where they should be.  Not only because Epri is harder to get, but from what I can tell there will be fewer people mining it.  This will drive the entire market up.

Edit: This will also have the added effect of making T3 equipment viable as an alternative to T4.  Right now its T4/T4 + some T2 or trash fit.

Martha Stuart wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

As a miner, I say HOORAY for 14 nic per unit of Epi! Mining is a viable profession again!

I second this, the market has been in a slump recently.  for any marketeers out there this is gonna be good, its gonna force prices up to where they should be.  Not only because Epri is harder to get, but from what i can tell there will be fewer people mining it.  this will drive the entire market up.

Also, Merkle will do wonders for the argano and termis market yarr

DEV Zoom wrote:

This is an early warning that we have made a decision to remove Epriton from gamma islands, and soon it will be only available on beta islands.

The reason for this change is that with the introduction of gamma islands the role and importance of betas has changed. Gammas turned out to be too self-sustaining, while the reasons to have a constant beta presence for corporations became pretty optional. Our hope is that with this change betas can again become an important part of the game's PvP mechanics like they once used to be.

Like in the case of similar changes in the past, Epriton won't suddenly disappear from gammas, only the generation of new fields will be stopped.

The exact date for this change will be announced later.

Great first step. I wont mentiuon that I suggested this in the gamma expansion comments .. but its important that its done.

I also want to thank you for notifying BEFORE it happens. Long may this communication style continue.

Lastly you could do with making beta and gamma resources finite like in the old system. Then finally resource gathering should be a focus for pvp.

Martha Stuart wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

I second this, the market has been in a slump recently.  for any marketeers out there this is gonna be good, its gonna force prices up to where they should be.  Not only because Epri is harder to get, but from what i can tell there will be fewer people mining it.  this will drive the entire market up.

It will be over 6 months before that happens.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:
Shadowmine wrote:

It will be over 6 months before that happens.

Better than never

Xadhoom wrote:
Ville wrote:
Tux wrote:

there's actually 6 betas roll

Lock out mechanic should stay as is

you may think changing sparks will do something to ease this change but people with more than 1 or 2 accouynts will easily avoid and SpT cool down penalties

Because it only takes 5 minutes to be on another beta island from the npc terminal. roll

Like Tux just said, they'll work around it.  That's why SpT need a 4 hour cool down.

I personal think they should do the same thing with a docking timer, so when I come for you. You can't dock up.

*edit: Edited both posts - dial back the insults. - DEV Zoom

/owned.

Trololol agaha...

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Martha Stuart wrote:

Right now its T4/T4 + some T2 or trash fit.

I didn't want to say this because it would have seemed like some hidden intention with purely this goal, but tbh I also hate to see T4 becoming the de facto standard equipment.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

I didn't want to say this because it would have seemed like some hidden intention with purely this goal, but tbh I also hate to see T4 becoming the de facto standard equipment.

Then re-balance the Teir system. Of which I had thought you were planning on doing.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

160 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-09-04 22:04:45)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

it's really hard on the new players being at both an EP disadvantage and then also being totally outclassed in equipment.  not to mention the fact that most new players can't afford to lose a full T4 fit bot anyway.

Merkle wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

Then re-balance the Teir system. Of which I had thought you were planning on doing.

It is still on our todo yes.

Now we just need colixium in all Mk2 robots and we will be on track...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Sundial wrote:

Tux the difference now is the research is available since the game has been out this long combined with the new research system.

Epriton wasn't the main bottleneck for T4 production back then, prototyping was for 99% of the player base.....

edit:

clarification

It will change both I assure you (when minerals are readily accessible it spurs market activity ... when you have to fight for resources the fruits of your labor are worth much more and not always just sold to the highest bidder.) ... Before when static spawns were around the main Prototyper of each corp was the main person who used epriton .. that person would make CT's for others who needed epriton also to make the goods. when epriton was limited to 6 islands it was a bottleneck in high end production that is why the price of epriton was extremely high in the past compared to now.

Epriton floats around 5 to 8 nic because of its availability through gamma ... its not a bottle neck right now ...

Limiting it again to only 6 islands will recreate the same high prices that we saw in the past ... add in the increased need for it for gamma structures and it will be a HUGE bottleneck...

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Maybe adding Epriton isotopes to artifact sites to help provide a source of epi that doesn't involve ninja mining for alpha players? Just spitballing here.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

165 (edited by Sundial 2013-09-04 22:30:20)

Tux wrote:
Sundial wrote:

edit:

clarification

It will change both I assure you (when minerals are readily accessible it spurs market activity ... when you have to fight for resources the fruits of your labor are worth much more and not always just sold to the highest bidder.) ... Before when static spawns were around the main Prototyper of each corp was the main person who used epriton .. that person would make CT's for others who needed epriton also to make the goods. when epriton was limited to 6 islands it was a bottleneck in high end production that is why the price of epriton was extremely high in the past compared to now.

Epriton floats around 5 to 8 nic because of its availability through gamma ... its not a bottle neck right now ...

Limiting it again to only 6 islands will recreate the same high prices that we saw in the past ... add in the increased need for it for gamma structures and it will be a HUGE bottleneck...

Still back then epriton wasn't unlimited on those 6 islands. It is now, meaning you can just spark to a beta you control, run a mining op till the field is dead then just scan down another and continue assuming you are not interupted. Its availability for gamma entities isn't goint to decrease but the logistics overhead of acquiring it and moving it to your production facility is. Yes you could call that a bottleneck but I don't beleive its as serious of one as you are making it out to be.

Shadowmine wrote:

Maybe adding Epriton isotopes to artifact sites to help provide a source of epi that doesn't involve ninja mining for alpha players? Just spitballing here.

Certain artifact types already drop epriton if I'm not mistaken (confirmed: level 3 industrial remnants). As well as intrusion loot (specimen processing and passive hacking), and some indy NPCs too (lithus and sequer from starred beacons).

When the patch day comes, is it possible to remove the fields from Gamma and let them re-appear on Betas right away?

Sundial wrote:

Still back then epriton wasn't unlimited on those 6 islands. It is now, meaning you can just spark to a beta you control, run a mining op till the field is dead then just scan down another and continue assuming you are not interupted. Its availability for gamma entities isn't goint to decrease but the logistics overhead of acquiring it and moving it to your production facility is. Yes you could call that a bottleneck but I don't beleive its as serious of one as you are making it out to be.

Time will tell ... but brace yourself for another not so stable market

Did I miss a post? Are they going to increase EPI field sizes on beta?

170 (edited by Tux 2013-09-04 22:52:27)

Arga wrote:

Yes

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

Now are you planning on fixing spark teleports too OR removing the lockout mechanics on beta stations?

There is no decision yet whether we want to change it or not.
edit: Spark TP I mean, removing lockout is not even considered.

Tux wrote:

So is this going to mean an increase in a the base pool of available epriton on beta ?

Probably yes.

And I don't understand the fuss about NPCs really. What if we said they are intentionally there upon the fields to defend a high-tier mineral? Besides, there aren't any real challenges in mining other than the occasional guarded field.

Arga wrote:

You did smile

Burial wrote:

When the patch day comes, is it possible to remove the fields from Gamma and let them re-appear on Betas right away?

It's possible but do we want such a sharp transition? There is no connection between the two regarding amount limits if you mean that.

Not to derail, but we've been asking/discussing larger haulers for years; or to further reduce commodities bulk.  Any news in that direction?

174 (edited by Burial 2013-09-04 22:58:54)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Burial wrote:

It's possible but do we want such a sharp transition? There is no connection between the two regarding amount limits if you mean that.

I would do it like that just because otherwise the transition would take long time.

Was I only one who thought it's weird that fields wouldn't get removed from gamma right away during patch?

Burial wrote:

Was I only one who thought it's weird that fields wouldn't get removed from gamma right away?

yes smile

I like it. It will be like easter egg hunt to find a few cycles of epi on a remote gamma.