Re: Epriton to be removed from gamma islands

The problem here is not BETA or GAMMA, the problem is NPC on minerals field.

Sundial wrote:

Arga: Gamma industry is still worth it. The T3 facility levels combined with the mining auras and current levels of safety means its still worth it to live, mine, and produce on gamma. Even if they took that complete safety away, it would still be worth it. Now we just need to import epriton from players willing to take risks.

We have re opened an old forgotten style of gameplay, the high risk high reward miner. This is good for the game.

i hate to do it but i have to agree. not that i like it for myself. but its good. good a essential ore for high lvl production is in a risky area.

now we just need the other part to be worth it. we need more meaning to colixum so that gamma has to play a important part as well. honestly i think this change schould not be made before the colixum based bots/equip.

78 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-09-04 19:34:55)

Heliaso wrote:

well its not only high risk. it might also be hard to get. that would mean to get a few combats as well to keep the npcs of the miners. its a mmo if i remember correctly. so maybe epriton will not always be for the casual single player miner. and i think there is nothing wrong with it.

So, as for the whining about ore fields under npc spawns. If the reward is worth it, players will do it. We walled off immentium fields from spawns so we could run missions before on Norhoop. And back in the static ore spawn days we walled of spawns from the huge epi field at Uria. It took a couple guys working together to get it done and maybe an hour to do it. The good thing about liquids is you only need to get to one square to mine the field. It isn't any different than having to decon strucutres and terraform to get to that titan field on the turret wall on my gamma island.

I remember ninja mining in a t1 termis so I could sell epi at 14 nic per. I only had to mine for like like 30 minutes to pay for my bot. Everything else was gravy. You get ballsy with the ability for that kind of profit.

This change also makes owning a beta station more worth while. A safe place to dock up and base out of for mining alone is worth it. Plus having the chance of a field spawning near your outpost for some easy epi. And as a consequence, passive and specimen processing saps have good value again and are worth hitting or scooping loot on. Not just Corps and vets, but newbs and small scale producers will probly give it a shot if they cant mine it easily.

The other consequence as Arga so eloquently stated, is that the ability to produce structures on the scale required to wall off an entire gamma island to yourself has now been seriously hindered. Epriton will now be a limiting factor in the amount of structures you can put on a gamma island, especially when that same epriton will be needed for bot and mod production. (Cant imigaine this is an unintended consequence the DEVs overlooked smile )

So Arga is correct, It probably won't be worth walling off an entire gamma island and spending the time, Nic, and material investment. But it would still be viable to build a small tightly defended outpost on a gamma island somewhere to take advanteg of the Gamma bonuses. Sure you will have to do some hauling in and out and it will require cooperation between corp mates to keep things secure and mine in peace. But this gives indy guys something to do, and gives the PVP guys something to do.

Its not that all the risk is now forced on the indy guys, because if the indy guys cant get epriton to make mods and bots and structures, that will quickly become a problem for the PVP guys.

I remember RG back in the day would secure Novastrov and mine out every field on the island. Doing something like that these days may be a little more difficult in the age of spark teleport. Which should be a good thing. It will take numerous operations on beta to get the amount of epriton big corps will need, This should lead to much greater conflict on the beta islands, on a small and large scale. The argument age of unlimited safe mining is coming to an end. Don't pretend that most of us weren't asking for it.

The only concern I would have, is if you must go to beta to do missions and  improve relations past level 3 still. That the amount of player activity on the betas might hinder epriton mining too much with a much higher population. But then again, players usually find a way to make things happen. That's half the fun of a game like this.

All in all, I think this will be a good change for the health of the game.

+1

(And I am sure this post isn't current, as there have probably been 3 more pages written since I started it. )

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Sundial wrote:

Arga: Gamma industry is still worth it. The T3 facility levels combined with the mining auras and current levels of safety means its still worth it to live, mine, and produce on gamma. Even if they took that complete safety away, it would still be worth it. Now we just need to import epriton from players willing to take risks.

We have re opened an old forgotten style of gameplay, the high risk high reward miner. This is good for the game.

EDIT:

In reply to the ganking thing, I was never big on actually ganking miners. I only did it when I was in a roaming gang. I was however huge on ninja mining epriton and other ores on beta. Its how I supported everything else I did ingame.

Unless a corp is planning a full scale, extended PVP engagement, the cost in time and material to build a 'safe' gamma base exceeds any production bonuses.

It's a much better return on investment to run a 'brigand corp' off Alpha, harassing and attacking enemy beta mining ops. Fun PVP without the overhead of defending boring saps.

Sundial wrote:

EDIT:

In reply to the ganking thing, I was never big on actually ganking miners. I only did it when I was in a roaming gang. I was however huge on ninja mining epriton and other ores on beta.

So basically Gamma is only beneficial in a all-or-nothing sense of investment, while requiring T3 to really only achieve the needed reward?

You want players to build this up and expand all the while supplying their day to day costs?

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Zortarg Calltar wrote:
Heliaso wrote:

well its not only high risk. it might also be hard to get. that would mean to get a few combats as well to keep the npcs of the miners. its a mmo if i remember correctly. so maybe epriton will not always be for the casual single player miner. and i think there is nothing wrong with it.

check my videos, it's for a mission.

http://fr.twitch.tv/perpetuumonline/b/456348287

This is titan Ore all over again...

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Zortarg Calltar wrote:
Heliaso wrote:

What about heavy mech explosion damage though big_smile

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Lemon wrote:
Tux wrote:

Ide still prefer to mine the unmolested mineral fields on gamma vs alpha. good luck with that one

and you dont think may others would be doing the same>?

these changes only benefit the play style that you and others have had over the years ...  your corp was never able to keep and hold gamma not because you guys didnt want to but because it didnt fit in your play-style. Instant gratification will be coming back soon brosef yarr

I am curious please go on about our play-style and how gamma did or did not fit in to it? Arga and myself are the best people to clear you up on that seeing, as we lead the gamma frontier

hmm ...

arga wrote:

I was thinking about coming back, but I'm going to wait some more. The added indy work is too much for the expected return.

If I was going to do it, I wouldn't bother owning a beta outpost. It's too much defending for no gain.

If I was going to fight a M2S level war, than it would be worth it. But to make a couple dozen bots a week to replace roaming losses, no.

You lead the gamma front for your corp which was very short lived .. but trust many of the tweaks and improvements made to gamma were in no way because of anything that had to do with you .. STC/Nebs and its Allies had done more for gamma at this point than any other entity in the game ... STC was one of the first corps to Deploy Gamma terminals... and were still here . .

From the sounds of it if it isnt instant gratification you dont want anything to do with it . . oh wait does arga speak for your corp or just you ?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Merkle wrote:

exactly . .. but hey lets make some more NIC while were at it

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Also change Epi back into a Ore Please.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

At the time, as an alpha mining corp (PIE), I loved the titan change.

The problem was the titan at the alpha outpost wasn't worth buying, if I was able to DELIVER it too the beta outposts at that time, it would have been a huge profit center.

@
Yeah, I would love a frieghter... i've just given up hope on that. sad

89 (edited by Merkle 2013-09-04 19:42:43)

And really Heliaso Stop B1tching about NPC's.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

And really Heliaso Stop B1tching about NPC's.

Why should i stop to talk about NPC ?

Next Up, adding Deltas, They just won't have HDT.  This will drive PVP on Gamma's!

Yay!

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

DEV Zoom wrote:

This is an early warning that we have made a decision to remove Epriton from gamma islands, and soon it will be only available on beta islands.

The reason for this change is that with the introduction of gamma islands the role and importance of betas has changed. Gammas turned out to be too self-sustaining, while the reasons to have a constant beta presence for corporations became pretty optional. Our hope is that with this change betas can again become an important part of the game's PvP mechanics like they once used to be.

Like in the case of similar changes in the past, Epriton won't suddenly disappear from gammas, only the generation of new fields will be stopped.

The exact date for this change will be announced later.

Ok so I know what I will be doing this weekend.  Also, if possible I would like to suggest another change to gamma's that would make them far more important and encourage combats to live there as well as make roaming spawns viable to farm.

Martha Stuart wrote:

instead of having Rank 5 NPC's drop cortexes like Burial suggested, why not change the roaming spawns to MK2 npcs, which then have a moderate chance of dropping cortexes.  This would make the pointless roaming spawns worth finding and hunting down, plus it would also make them much more challenging.  and to counter this remove or lower the cortex drops from SAP loot.

ok peanut gallery, Yay or Nah?

would suck to mine on a blue island with all the ecm jamming you...

Kokomut wrote:

would suck to mine on a blue island with all the ecm jamming you...

lol

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Tux wrote:

From the sounds of it if it isnt instant gratification you dont want anything to do with it . . oh wait does arga speak for your corp or just you ?

All they've done is shuffled the 'worthless' issue from beta to gamma.

As far as effort, we worked for MONTHS to prep for gamma release, I'm not going to do that again (hours of mining and transport) just to have the steam release fail to generate interest.

For me, a 100 person game isn't what I want to play. I want the epic battles.

In that sense I'm speaking for myself, I don't see this change as creating anything new that will capture, hold, and/or entice epic battles with 100's of players. Until I see that type of change, I'm waiting.

Martha we should remove the ability to use ALL Ewar on Gamma islands.  This would create PVP.  As well as make gamma's special!

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Martha Stuart wrote:

ok peanut gallery, Yay or Nah?

I think one reason NPC's on gamma were scarce was to make them less suffcient in the NIC area. Maybe there is now room to make those PVE elements better.

It still won't make it worth building a base, maybe an outpost to rat out of.

Unless you, dare I say, make gamma bases smaller, yet more powerful.  While limiting there reach.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

99 (edited by Arga 2013-09-04 19:55:13)

Merkle wrote:

Unless you, dare I say, make gamma bases smaller, yet more powerful.  While limiting there reach.

If you mean cheaper... then maybe. But it's still a logistical nightmare to haul between islands, especially between two PVP islands, hmm

By this I mean, youre better off doing mining, production on the same island. Which would be beta, but the overhead of saps is just a major drain to morale.

Why has no one read my previous post yet!!!! It explains everything.....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2