401 (edited by Celebro 2013-08-14 16:29:25)

Re: Spark Teleports

Burial wrote:

When you can move freely from island to island it's not a problem imo.

Well, it seems they cannot do that.

Like I said just add drawbacks for the for players who abuse the spT mechanic, these is much more depth than just waiting around once you kill the enemy. I would rather wait in terminal for a spark cooldown tbh.

edit: First post on a 17th page thread smile

RIP PERPETUUM

DEV Zoom wrote:
Tux wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

The inability to teleport while flagged has been put in because we cannot retain the flag when you go through. We have to check whether we can revise this.

?

just island to island ?

because we can use teleports on the same island ... even mobile teleports (not interzone) while flagged and it doesnt kill the pvp flag timer

Yes, within the same island it's not a problem, but keeping any effect on the robots when moving between zones is a tough nut.

somewhere along the lines of mission system code... 

start mission = start mission timer 12HRs
start pvp = start pvp timer 60 min

the mission timers are not effected by zone / on line or off line.

i think the only trick is to recode it with added effect to show the "visual pvp flag"

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux: the mission timer is tied to your character and that's not affected by zone jumps. The PvP flag is an effect on your robot like the shield, nexus, aura, etc which currently can't be transferred through zone changes (and this also means docking in). It's tied into many systems like docking and logout, so no, unfortunately it's not a simple recode.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Tux: the mission timer is tied to your character and that's not affected by zone jumps. The PvP flag is an effect on your robot like the shield, nexus, aura, etc which currently can't be transferred through zone changes (and this also means docking in). It's tied into many systems like docking and logout, so no, unfortunately it's not a simple recode.

And there's me thinking for the last 2½ years that there was some tactical reason for not being able to change island while flagged.

Well, that scuppers it. Increasing PvP timers without allowing zone changes while flagged would be rubbish.

I say delete this thread and pretend it never happened.

sorry im not a coder ... so the pvp timer cant be changed to be tied to the player and not the robot ?

im sure you guys can figure it out smile

Well.. everything can be re-coded to suit the game. Would it be worth it? I think yes, but I have no idea how hard or easy it would be.

We'll certainly have a go at it once we find the time.

408 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2013-08-14 17:49:03)

lol

So the solution to insta-sparks and low PvP rates is:

Increase pvp timer from 5 minutes to 15 minutes

Which in turn:
1) Gives MORE time for a blob to insta-spark in to kill smaller force
2) Reducing PvP even more as less flagging will occur
3) Gives vets an advantage, as we can afford to blow 1 million NIC on high masked armor beacons to evade (harder to find on map)
4) Reducing PvP even more as newer/poorer pilots will nearly always get caught
5) New players will die more as 15 minutes is MORE than ample time to hunt and kill him
6) Reducing PvP as newer players will leave the game as EVERYTIME they flag they DIE (frustration)
7) Does nothing to solve the insta-sparking at no cost problem
8) Oh ya, did I mention that PvP will be less

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

@ Zoom

I really am not surprised by the response to this. Increasing the PvP flag has nothing near a positive impact in anyway.

mongolia made great points to this.

This is getting a bit overly complicated in what the abusive means of sparking is and what needs to be limited to balance this.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

See you after the next 10 pages then smile

I don't think you've ever played this game before Zoom.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Even those who play the game much more often than me can't reach a consensus so I don't see how this is relevant.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Have u given any thought to increased interference the more you spark for a short period of time?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro: same problem with the effect system as I explained above. We can't retain the interference effect once you dock in (or even apply it in the first place when you're inside).

DEV Zoom wrote:

Celebro: same problem with the effect system as I explained above. We can't retain the interference effect once you dock in (or even apply it in the first place when you're inside).

I see.

Only way around this is adding a module to effect interference, once you spark you can't undock without it.

RIP PERPETUUM

416 (edited by Arga 2013-08-14 21:24:11)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Woo Hoo!

Please don't get distracted by the PVP flag solution. While in theory it addresses one part of the issue, it creates a whole passel of additional issues.

Maybe the game needs a longer PVP flag, but not because of sparking.

Why doesn't it solve the whole problem? Because it doesn't address the Blob issue at all.

The whole premise I saw was that if (2) robots show up for some hot bot-on-bot action, they can be met with overwhelming force; that is the blob.

If (15) units ondock against (2) units, they aren't going to stick around (this is the overwhelming force part). And even if they do, the defenders aren't going to get all 15 bots flagged.

I'm not going to get deeply into X goes to Y gets Z. But just BEING on the field is as good as actually flaggin when it comes to blobs.

Oh. And the one way 'around' the PVP flag is to die. I'm sure I can think of more.

In before : Yes, CIR would sacrifice (10) T4 bots if we needed those (10) players at a gamma home station to protect Billions in assests. It's just an example of course, but PVP flag doesn't adequetely address the issue of moving troops instantly.

Edit: And probably even more important, is being able to move our FC around.

Summon "The Gifter."  You too can own every old corpies account.  Here Lemon play this 1.4 million EP pilot this week, it's a gift.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

Even those who play the game much more often than me can't reach a consensus so I don't see how this is relevant.

You should play your game.

Don't worry, Lemon, Ville, and several others are in the club.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Ville wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

You should play your game.

Now it all makes sense.  roll

Arga wrote:

Please don't get distracted by the PVP flag solution. While in theory it addresses one part of the issue, it creates a whole passel of additional issues.

Maybe the game needs a longer PVP flag, but not because of sparking.

Why doesn't it solve the whole problem?

Because it doesn't address the Blob issue at all.

The whole premise I saw was that if (2) robots show up for some hot bot-on-bot action, they can be met with overwhelming force; that is the blob.

THE ONLY way to fix what you are claiming as the problem is to remove spart teleport completely.

NO timer / cooldown will stop 20+ guys from sparking into a terminal deploying and shooting 2 or 5 guys . . period.

WHY ? because the timer you guys are asking for is a "cooldown" NOT a "Activation timer (time taken before the feature / skill is used)" the cool down happens after..

You cant change game mechanics to suit your current political situation, I see people every where using spark teleport for indy and pvp ...

You need to find a different solution to your political problem other than trying to change / remove spark teleport ... because you have much bigger problems than sparkt teleport if sparking hurting your game play.

Arga you should pvp / play game more and maybe you might understand how the game works.

+1 ~ 30 minute pvp timers

Mongolia Jones wrote:

lol

So the solution to insta-sparks and low PvP rates is:

Increase pvp timer from 5 minutes to 15 minutes

Which in turn:
1) Gives MORE time for a blob to insta-spark in to kill smaller force
nothing to do with mechanic ... the responder could be 1 guy it could be 4 guys it all depends on who is the aggressor and who is the responder 

2) Reducing PvP even more as less flagging will occur
Sounds like people are scared to pvp unless they can get a kill and run and hide with out being seen or caught   

3) Gives vets an advantage, as we can afford to blow 1 million NIC on high masked armor beacons to evade (harder to find on map)
YOU GUYS are the ones who wanted the mobile teleports to cost more .. funny how you try to use this as a vet advantage now 

4) Reducing PvP even more as newer/poorer pilots will nearly always get caught
They could get more opportunity to kill as they would be on the field longer .. making them learn a lot faster what to do and what not to do in pvp.

5) New players will die more as 15 minutes is MORE than ample time to hunt and kill him
sounds like more pvp not less

6) Reducing PvP as newer players will leave the game as EVERYTIME they flag they DIE (frustration)
You make it sound like you are going to leave the game because everytimg you flag a blob drops form the sky on your head lol 

7) Does nothing to solve the insta-sparking at no cost problem
if you make it expensive its "just for the vets & the rich" if its cheap it costs nothing ... theres no in between with you guys ... cooldowns dont solve the insta spark as the cool down is after the spark is done .. the sparker has deployed and killed you

8) Oh ya, did I mention that PvP will be less
maybe for you who need to feel safe before you will venture out for pvp 

Sounds like the only time you pvp is when you know with a very high probability you wont get caught.

423 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-15 12:49:48)

Sparks need to have a cost or a penalty.

The cost could be time, it could be tokens, it could be X Y Z, something

The time cost could be reduced with something like (anything in the market) shrug

----

The end result needs to be:    A player has to make decisions if the jump is worth it because its result will be:  A B C D E and if those results are worth the time/money.

I cant be able to move back and forth from Gamma to beta to shoot stuff instantly, constantly.

There has to be choices and consequences of some type.

If I am player M and my friend is player B, there should not be a possiblity that we can respond to 6 locations for whatever PvP threat there is in a 30 minute period, or even less if there are no flags.

It is as if one player is acting as 9 players.

This is how it is setup now though, which is quite unreal and just has no boundaries.

Sticking bots in stations is not a boundary.  I can do that in my sleep.  yawn

at least we are talking about it

424 (edited by Burial 2013-08-15 12:51:45)

How about the consequence comes when you flag and stay flagged for 30min(meaning you can't dock up and spark during that time)?

It's good solution because it only affects PVP, which is the side that is broken by your words. Everything else stays the same. I understand you people shooting it down though. Not self-beneficial and all.. roll

This. Just back to the old way.

Cant move around everywhere fast?

Too bad.

Stuck on Gamma?  Too bad, you live there, that is your choice.  Blood spark back to Alpha or wherever and travel.

I plan on grinding down the five players that are keeping an eye on 18 stations.   The changes I am looking for will do that.

.. and that is the way it used to be before *** meta-sparking

Tux wrote:

THE ONLY way to fix what you are claiming as the problem is to remove spart teleport completely.

NO timer / cooldown will stop 20+ guys from sparking into a terminal deploying and shooting 2 or 5 guys . . period.

WHY ? because the timer you guys are asking for is a "cooldown" NOT a "Activation timer (time taken before the feature / skill is used)" the cool down happens after..