Re: Spark Teleports

Yup that solution is something more than what we have now.

It would certainly be interesting.  I need to re-read Mongolias comments on it though.

Burial wrote:

How about the consequence comes when you flag and stay flagged for 30min(meaning you can't dock up and spark during that time)?

It's good solution because it only affects PVP, which is the side that is broken by your words. Everything else stays the same. I understand you people shooting it down though. Not self-beneficial and all.. roll

427 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-15 13:10:31)

Get out the box with this:

Can only spark if relation is 5.0

Using a spark drops relation by 0.1

doesnt make sense, but I like it  wink   surely once missions are changed, remote accept missions on same island stuff

So, you have to keep your relations high by doing missions and sparking like a mad man puts you back in to missions or something else to get relations back.

yay, we win stuff

I think Burial said most of above ideas, actually, good direction though

Dev Zoom.

I am glad that you are looking at it and could agree with us that something is not balanced here.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We'll certainly have a go at it once we find the time.

Gunner wrote:

Dev Zoom.
I am glad that you are looking at it and could agree with us that something is not balanced here.

Zoom has agreed nothing of the sort.

dude, they know its whack

no person could sit by and deny it

Its like calling a duck an elephant.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Dev Zoom.

Zoom has agreed nothing of the sort.

SpT cooldown gives more advantage to an attackers than to a defenders (attack at point A -> force defenders to jump there -> retreat/die and attack at point B without any resistance).

PvP flag increase serves both sides - no matter if you're attacker or defender, if you're flagged, wait till you can jump somewhere else or walk all the way manually.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Gunner wrote:

dude, they know its whack

You believe that if you want but if you've found any evidence for it in a DEVs post then you really need to go back to English comprehension class.

433 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-15 13:35:23)

dont be afraid, ill be gentle

You could use a Spark once every 12 hours if your faction (relations) (standing) with dest station Alpha 4.0 and Beta 5.0

You can spark again under 12 hours but drop faction by 0.1 per time

The decision is to deal with grinding faction back up if you drop it.  That isnt super difficult, but at least you have to decide to do it or not.

Having this centered around relations (faction) at least puts the mechanic in the game.

At this time, the mechanic isnt really part of the game.  It isnt something in the field.  It is a click in your UI.  It should say "perform magic"

poof, there I am

poof, there I go

weeeeee

Gunner wrote:

I plan on grinding down the five players that are keeping an eye on 18 stations.   The changes I am looking for will do that.

This thread boils down to this, devs.

You shouldnt easily have the ability to have geographically separated defenders magically appear wherever needed at any time with no cost and no thought.

If you need more people, you have too much stuff to defend.  Your defenders dont live there.

.. but the way this is setup, people can be in 9 places at once.

I have 5 combat mains, so that puts me in 45 places at once.

Line wrote:

SpT cooldown gives more advantage to an attackers than to a defenders (attack at point A -> force defenders to jump there -> retreat/die and attack at point B without any resistance).

PvP flag increase serves both sides - no matter if you're attacker or defender, if you're flagged, wait till you can jump somewhere else or walk all the way manually.

436 (edited by Gunner 2013-08-15 14:39:09)

This thread boils down to this:

A:   10 people defending more stations than would have been possible before the cheap mechanic known as Sparks.

B:  The outright abuse of said mechanic to do 10s of thousands of missions and rack up millions of tokens that would be impossible and certainly intolerable otherwise.

C: defend 15 stations as if it were just one station because there is no time and space to travel.  Wow really?

This is going to get worse, not better.

This spark thing completely destroyed anything positive that Intrusion 2.0 did.

and yes Burial, when its changed, we are going grind you down until you are owning the proper amount of stations that a few people should own.

You are going to have to travel, get blue balled, travel some more, maybe fight, travel some more etc etc etc until you are actually going to DECIDE  what to defend and what to let go.

No player should ever have the ability to be everywhere unless he has 18 subbed accounts.

Sparks takes food off the Devs tables... there, you made me say it.   tongue

Burial wrote:
Gunner wrote:

I plan on grinding down the five players that are keeping an eye on 18 stations.   The changes I am looking for will do that.

This thread boils down to this, devs.

Gunner wrote:

This thread boils down to this:

A:   10 people defending more stations than would have been possible before the cheap mechanic known as Sparks.

B:  The outright abuse of said mechanic to do 10s of thousands of missions and rack up millions of tokens that would be impossible and certainly intolerable otherwise.

C: defend 15 stations as if it were just one station because there is no time and space to travel.  Wow really?

Know your timers and you can defend with less. Sparks simply make logistics easier and less of a burden, which is exactly why we have spark teleports in the first place. Assignments are broken on themselves, they will get changed, thus sparks are irrelevant in this respect. I think this was pointed out to you at least 5 times now.

We can set 15 sparks now?

Beside the fact that you clearly have no interest in improving the game, all you can come up with are a few self-serving fallacies that should be left lingering in that mushy grey matter you dare call a brain.

Ok again you guys are still just screaming bloody murder and making this personal.

The problem is not 10 or 20 maybe even 40 sparking in to 1 terminal but the fact that they can do that and then *If * they want spark and deploy again within that same island to rapidly redeploy.

This is about the added movement that is allowed even after you have arrived and are in the active zone or desired area.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Gunner wrote:

Dev Zoom.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We'll certainly have a go at it once we find the time.

This was in reference to changing the PVP timer. not sure if you followed the conversation all the way through wink

Also Gunner,

This little spree of attacking beta outpost saps is possible due to spark teleport in its current form. There's no way you & your friends would be a running all over hells creation to take saps, spark teleport is fun right lol .

Have fun taking saps ... dont burn your self out I know its a lot of work to keep hitting the snooze button on that alarm clock.

and 30 minute pvp timers will make PEOPLE DECIDE what to defend and what to attack.

^^ because the issue is political , effecting your pvp ... spark should stay the same for industry / market uses.

I could take you a bit more seriously if you were actually trying to improve the game rather than change game mechanics to take revenge on your enemies.

@ Lemon no one sparks 10, 20 or more guys into a terminal and then just sparks out ... if 20 guys move by spark theres going to be a fight on the field ... and the 30 minute pvp timer will keep them on the field to make their decision to spark and pvp "worth something" and possibly "cost something"

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Lemon wrote:

Ok again you guys are still just screaming bloody murder and making this personal.

The problem is not 10 or 20 maybe even 40 sparking in to 1 terminal but the fact that they can do that and then *If * they want spark and deploy again within that same island to rapidly redeploy.

This is about the added movement that is allowed even after you have arrived and are in the active zone or desired area.

How does the lock-out mechanism not cover this?

Doek its the SINGLE mechanic you MUST ignore to make any sort of point against Sparks.

I have already stated about 6 times, this is only really about three termials, and those three termials are just fine as is.

So much crap is being thrown out there just for the sake of throwing it to see if it sticks, when in reality, missions are being changed.  Topic done.

This topic is quick devolving into anything but a balance issue.  Now its "all for the sake of the game", or the "game will die".
I think I'll just wait until missions are redone.  As the PVP for this month is looking up already.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

Doek its the SINGLE mechanic you MUST ignore to make any sort of point against Sparks.

I have already stated about 6 times, this is only really about three termials, and those three termials are just fine as is.

The problem with the PVP lock-out is it only works if someone flags, it doesn't address the issue of blobbling.

In this context, I'm defining blobbling as applying overwhelming force to ensure victory (where sometimes blobbling is otherwise defined similar to zerging, in the application of an overwhelming number of weak forces against a smaller stronger force).

Why I still have an issue with this is because an FC can still call in a significant number of their troops, undock and be present on the field for an engagement. These troops can be used to corral, FC, intimidate or otherwise push the battle around without ever flagging.

These same troops can then dock and spark to the next engagement.

** At this point in the game, where players are LUCKY to get 1 PVP engagement a day, I totally agree that it is not an issue; and I've said this before numerous times. The problem comes in when/if perp takes off and there are corps of hundreds of players able to blob around, which results in attackers/defenders having to counter by blobbing around (application of maximum force with minimal loss); thereby not only encouraging but requiring blobbing.

The collary to this, is that the issue is apparent now and sparking is really convienent, if they wait to correct it they'll be taking away something people really like (just because people like it doesn't make it a good mechanic).

18 pages is proof enough that people don't like the idea of messing with the sparks. Do it now and it pisses off 30 people, wait and it will piss off 1000 people. It's simply, statistically, better to change it now then to wait until it becomes an issue.

Let's just close all the stations we own, maybe that will help them to understand.

444 (edited by Burial 2013-08-15 17:43:46)

Arga wrote:
Merkle wrote:

The problem with the PVP lock-out is it only works if someone flags, it doesn't address the issue of blobbling.

In this context, I'm defining blobbling as applying overwhelming force to ensure victory (where sometimes blobbling is otherwise defined similar to zerging, in the application of an overwhelming number of weak forces against a smaller stronger force).

Why I still have an issue with this is because an FC can still call in a significant number of their troops, undock and be present on the field for an engagement. These troops can be used to corral, FC, intimidate or otherwise push the battle around without ever flagging.

These same troops can then dock and spark to the next engagement.

** At this point in the game, where players are LUCKY to get 1 PVP engagement a day, I totally agree that it is not an issue; and I've said this before numerous times. The problem comes in when/if perp takes off and there are corps of hundreds of players able to blob around, which results in attackers/defenders having to counter by blobbing around (application of maximum force with minimal loss); thereby not only encouraging but requiring blobbing.

The collary to this, is that the issue is apparent now and sparking is really convienent, if they wait to correct it they'll be taking away something people really like (just because people like it doesn't make it a good mechanic).

18 pages is proof enough that people don't like the idea of messing with the sparks. Do it now and it pisses off 30 people, wait and it will piss off 1000 people. It's simply, statistically, better to change it now then to wait until it becomes an issue.

How do you suggest to fix the issue of intimidation(comical example btw) and blobbing? Because a cooldown will not fix it.

The way I see it: Aslong as there are SAPs that have timers, there will always be ample time to prepare a blob. You can blood-spark to Alpha 2 terminal in less than 5 minutes and in the next 5 minutes you can be at the closest teleporter to action.

Burial wrote:

How do you suggest to fix the issue of intimidation(comical example btw) and blobbing? Because a cooldown will not fix it.

The way I see it: Aslong as there are SAPs that have timers, there will always be ample time to prepare a blob. You can blood-spark to Alpha 2 terminal in less than 5 minutes and in the next 5 minutes you can be at the closest teleporter to action.

I'm not suggesting a way to fix blobbing, cool down on spark is to simply remove a mechanic that encourages blobbling; Blobber's gonna blob.

Intimidation is not a bad example. If you roll up to a SAP with (2) bots, and there are 20 bots there, what's the chances that you are going to attack versus if there are only (2) bots at the SAP? And yes, you can talk about login traps, thinking about how many are in the station ect, but there is a 0% chance you're going to directly attack 20 players, while there's a chance you could attack 2 just to see what happens.

Prepare-a-blob (TM pending) is part of the game. The difference with timerless-spark, is there is much less than even 10 minutes needed to gather the blob; making it take longer doesn't 'fix' it, it just discourages it; which is all any mechanic can hope for.

446 (edited by Burial 2013-08-15 19:05:57)

SAPs are always about blobbing, Arga. Both sides know the time when they have to show up so the side that has better guns on the field gets the SAP. It was already made more fair in Intrusion 2.0 by making it so the attackers have to attack multiple SAPs and the defenders wouldn't be locked out of their assets by one fight gone wrong.

The fact is, the attackers are already controlling the potential blob card. They choose when to attack either by roaming beta or attacking gamma and defenders are just reacting. In the end, a spark cooldown could potentially seriously hinder anyone trying to comfortably live on a beta or gamma island, not to mention it seriously benefits people with bigger numbers and more alts.

Gunner talked about the tactic of someone being the bait and getting people to spark in and flag up while others attack a strategic location - now think if the side with more numbers starts to do it. You are forgetting that the cooldown rule would apply to everyone.

The idea that spark cooldown disables blob from controlling big territory is the biggest load of BS I have seen in this thread. Usually it's not more than 3-4 outposts that need attention even when they all are under fire. It's very easy to set defending them priority and that's when blob arrives, no matter how long the spark cooldown is.

Here is how a longer PVP timer could actually help. Let's say blob comes in and flags up, then they are unable to dock up and spark out for 30-60minutes, meaning the little guys have that much free time to rain terror on the blobbers land/SAPs. That means the blob has to really think if their own homeyard is safe enough for them to flag here. You are thinking about mentioning how you would order people to suicide their bots to defend their territory but when that happens, little guys already won in my book.

Anyway, the potential scenarios are really getting out of hand already. Each of the ideas has positive and negative sides. The devs need to figure out how exactly they want their game to proceed at this point and stop listening to the community or nothing gets done.

Burial wrote:

Here is how a longer PVP timer could actually help. Let's say blob comes in and flags up, then they are unable to dock up and spark out for 30-60minutes, meaning the little guys have that much free time to rain terror on the blobbers land/SAPs.

This is what I'm talking about though, you've typed "comes in and flags up", except if they really outnumber the small group by that much, they all don't need to flag; and a smart FC will ensure they don't so they can spark elsewhere; this allows the FC to have more troops onsite without having to make the strategic decision to deploy them there for the lengh of the timer. If they really do have many more troops than the smaller guy, you simply can't 'trick' the smart FC with the timer, as they will only deploy the minimal amount needed to deal with site 1, while keeping enough reserve for the little guys that may try to hit site 2.

@Burial

We only need to set rules about Same island sparking. This will be a commonly used tactic if say 20-30+ people live on that island and it is their only land. Unlimited resources does not force larger groups to own larger territories.

Who says if they re-spark in to the same beta-terminal again after death is balanced.  What I want prevented is being able to leverage same island sparking to not only gain but secure superior positioning over any enemy force SAP or Roaming that comes on to the island. what is wrong with forcing players to make a tactical choice when deploying to a island that they have multiple deploy locations on, the defender already have the ability to properly counter the force present and dictate the engagement all/any engagements.

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Arga wrote:

This is what I'm talking about though, you've typed "comes in and flags up", except if they really outnumber the small group by that much, they all don't need to flag; and a smart FC will ensure they don't so they can spark elsewhere; this allows the FC to have more troops onsite without having to make the strategic decision to deploy them there for the lengh of the timer. If they really do have many more troops than the smaller guy, you simply can't 'trick' the smart FC with the timer, as they will only deploy the minimal amount needed to deal with site 1, while keeping enough reserve for the little guys that may try to hit site 2.

Arga

He is one of the players we are trying to protect. Hopefully he will become aware.

Undefeated 2013

450 (edited by Burial 2013-08-15 20:22:20)

Same island sparking is not an issue.

Like I previously said, aggressors hold the cards when they come down to enemy beta to roam. They already get to work out all the details of the assault, from when to attack to what bots to use and so on. Devs should not make it even more easier for the attackers to just come and attack the people there, especially since it's already too dangerous it's not worth the effort when comparing it to living on gamma.

Why shouldn't the islands inhabitants get the bonus of sparking freely between outposts they own on islands they own? Hopefully there's a bigger reason behind it and not just because it's inconvenient and more dangerous for the attackers.

Arga: I feel like you are forgetting that most fights happen fast and usually away from terminal. It's usually too dangerous to leave only small portion of the force to fight enemy while bigger part just fiddles their thumbs inside terminal when considering how long it takes for them to come to rescue. Sure, there is a chance your bigger force can catch them, if the aggressors are not prepared, but at what sacrifice.. And I'm only talking about the beta islands that have terminals where you can spark into. On half of the betas, you could be forced to move from adjacent island.