376 (edited by Burial 2013-08-14 11:45:36)

Re: Spark Teleports

What do the Devs think about it?

Prolonging PVP timer would not be a bad idea, it would fix a lot of the issues raised by others while not nerfing the spark teleportation itself and all the players that depend on it for the day-to-day activities.

I'd like to state that SpT is overpowered and a 1 hr cooldown is a fair compromise.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Burial wrote:

Prolonging PVP timer would not be a bad idea, it would fix a lot of the issues raised by others while not nerfing the spark teleportation itself and all the players that depend on it for the day-to-day activities.

I'm not really sure not being able to dock in for an hour would be such a good idea.

I have always thought that the PvP flag duration was too short, spark teleport or no spark teleport. An hour would seem too long. I've also never been sure why you can't change islands while flagged - at least between PvP zones anyway.

Then again, I'm sure a better FC than me will enlighten.

380 (edited by Burial 2013-08-14 13:44:40)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Burial wrote:

I'm not really sure not being able to dock in for an hour would be such a good idea.

- PVP flag 30 minutes
- Ability to jump between PVP islands
- Can't go to Alpha or dock up

DEV Zoom wrote:
Burial wrote:

Maybe a better idea is to place an undock timer of five minutes once you spark.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Any (longer) timer that makes the player twiddle his/her fingers while not being able to do anything else instead is bad.

383 (edited by Burial 2013-08-14 14:00:51)

That's where the PVP timer starts to shine: When you are PVP flagged it's not just twiddling fingers, it's actually entertaining time regardless whether you are the cat or the mouse. Of course the real time would have to have some science behind it to not be too long or short.

Noone forces you to go PvP mode, but once you did, be ready to survival horror.

Ok, 1 hour is too much. Let it be 15 min then, being able to teleport any island - no need to limit pvp-only there, someone might want to kill such a player on Alphas too.

Another option - is to have a mechanic that looks into player's pvp activity, and once he killed someone, he gets full-hour pvp flag (optionally, any next kill refreshing the timer)

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

If it's Alphas too, I think the timer needs to be longer. There's so many different places where to run and hide so I don't see how longer PVP timer is bad. Sounds really fun though.

Just taking this time to state that a 10 min pvp flag cooldown is a good compromise.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

I quickly checked whether the PvP flag can be cheated by closing the client and letting the server remove your robot from the terrain but no, as long as the flag lasts, your robot remains there. So I have nothing against a 10 or 15 min PvP timer.

388 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-08-14 15:33:10)

If this is supposed to be a balance to "broken" spark teleport then the number would be better at
15 minutes. With the exception of Specimen it takes about that to drive to a SAP take it and bugger
off again - what the spark teleport moaners were complaining was being abused by sparking huge fleets
sparking around the map.

Personally, I'd change nothing until or unless spark teleport becomes a problem and not just a grievance.

Oh, and btw:
Congratulations to the community. This is now the most replied to thread in Perpetuum history beating the previous
387 posts in Dev Calvin's attempt to placate a frustrated player base after persistent connection issues in June 2011, a thread that only just pipped the server issue
thread itself by 9 posts.

389 (edited by Celebro 2013-08-14 15:37:06)

Now seriously I have a solution without cool down so both sides will be happy:

I'll try to explain the best I can because it could get complicated and there are a number of ways to do this

This issue came about due to instant spT creating more blobbing, power projection and all that, so this only effects warfare .

All we need to do is every time you spark for a period of lets say 3 or 4 hours you are more susceptible to interference between other bots, and the slower you will go, we could also add reduced signal to see bots and a slight decrease in speed. After the 3 or 4 hours systems are reset and goes back to normal. This will avoid blobbing and will add an advantage for those not willing to spark there. So sparking once or twice in a short period will add some of these drawbacks, but the more you spark the worse it becomes.

Now ,how to balance this right is another matter.

RIP PERPETUUM

DEV Zoom wrote:

I quickly checked whether the PvP flag can be cheated by closing the client and letting the server remove your robot from the terrain but no, as long as the flag lasts, your robot remains there. So I have nothing against a 10 or 15 min PvP timer.

How about making it so you can switch islands, like Line suggested, while flagged? Only thing not possible to do would be to dock up.

Would make some very interesting chases with 20 min timer. big_smile

391 (edited by Celebro 2013-08-14 15:39:35)

nvm

RIP PERPETUUM

Line wrote:
Tux wrote:

1 Hour pvp Flags !!! problem solved ... remove inability to jump from island to island while flagged.

+1

\O/

DEV Zoom wrote:

^^

This is a GREAT way to start to eliminate the problems of this thread. . . with extended PvP timers responding forces / attackers will not be able to willy nilly jump about the game, I would go for 30-60 minute timers to make the effect felt .

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The inability to teleport while flagged has been put in because we cannot retain the flag when you go through. We have to check whether we can revise this.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The inability to teleport while flagged has been put in because we cannot retain the flag when you go through. We have to check whether we can revise this.

?

just island to island ?

because we can use teleports on the same island ... even mobile teleports (not interzone) while flagged and it doesnt kill the pvp flag timer

Long pvp flag timers, are we serious? So the blob gets ample time to move forces and catch that solo player.

Hey look a few guys just flagged up, call the blob to take them out, don't rush we have got plenty of time. That would teach them not to engage in small gangs. I think this will be even worse.

RIP PERPETUUM

When you can move freely from island to island it's not a problem imo.

397 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-08-14 16:20:42)

Tux wrote:
Zoom wrote:

So I have nothing against a 10 or 15 min PvP timer

^^
This is a GREAT way to start to eliminate the problems of this thread. . . with extended PvP timers responding forces / attackers will not be able to willy nilly jump about the game

Will it start eliminate the problems? I thought the people rallying against spark teleport were mostly concerned with the ability to arrive from somewhere which would be 20 minutes away by non spt means and undock immediately. Increasing PvP flag will do nothing to stop that.

EDIT: for clarity

Celebro wrote:

Long pvp flag timers, are we serious? So the blob gets ample time to move forces and catch that solo player.

Hey look a few guys just flagged up, call the blob to take them out, don't rush we have got plenty of time. That would teach them not to engage in small gangs. I think this will be even worse.

If a response force attacks the attacker they will be flaged for the same amount of time he was .. making the attacking force think several time before chasing a lone prom just to sit on the field for 30 to 60 min.

Also remember when you flag for pvp its your choice ...

I support going back to alpha / other beta / gamma / while still flagged ... but the flag timer needs to stay intact and continue to count down. I think if being stuck on the island can be fixed we will have a good system here that does not allow people to spark around the world killing people on every island in just a few minutes.

Tux wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

?

just island to island ?

because we can use teleports on the same island ... even mobile teleports (not interzone) while flagged and it doesnt kill the pvp flag timer

Yes, within the same island it's not a problem, but keeping any effect on the robots when moving between zones is a tough nut.

400 (edited by Tux 2013-08-14 16:30:34)

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Tux wrote:
Zoom wrote:

So I have nothing against a 10 or 15 min PvP timer

^^
This is a GREAT way to start to eliminate the problems of this thread. . . with extended PvP timers responding forces / attackers will not be able to willy nilly jump about the game

Will it start eliminate the problems? I thought the people rallying against spark teleport were mostly concerned with the ability to arrive from somewhere which would be 20 minutes away by non spt means and undock immediately. Increasing PvP flag will do nothing to stop that.

EDIT: for clarity

The problem that was given was what you say .. + the responder being able to leave and go to another island right away.

Unless you remove Spark teleport completely there's noting stopping a massive force from jumping into a island and killing whats there.

so a fix instead of adding cool downs to sparks which will effect those who use spark for non pvp actions you increase the pvp timer so if you spark for a pvp action that pvp action has a longer cool down making it not possible to jump to the next island right away and kill more people (project more power) trick is the pvp timer must be long enough for it to matter .... 30 minutes i think is a good start..