26 (edited by Arga 2012-03-24 00:31:40)

Re: Lack of direction and end game makes for a dull and boring gaming.

My vision, my long-term goal, is to be involved in Empire building.

Going 'hog-wild', this would include;

Large Mega-corps controlling large territories; true alliances
World-wide trading hubs; Actual trading mechanics, contracts, and developing markets
"Border" wars for mineral rich Islands
Capital cities; an expansion on a 'PBS' terminal theme
Trading Fleets: Massive frieghters moving industrial volumes of supplies

Edit: A couple more things:

Custom designed bots, hog wild here, not pieces from existing bots, but choosing head/leg/chassis slots as well as reactors, acc, CPU; build a bot.

Raising Islands from the sea.

Breaking into Nian TP system to confront our robot overlords in THEIR captital cities.

Launching Spaceships to near-by moons and/or planets; colonize and develop with limited resources, no TP back..

27 (edited by Burial 2012-03-24 00:43:34)

What I would really enjoy doing is combining and configuring robots - notice that I did not say building as I would not like it to be an indy only thing but something that literally anyone could do. Something that would not take much in terms of extensions but just pure player skill and knowledge of the robot combining/reconfiguration/whatever to name it.

I really liked the one blog post(?) that showed one robot that had a combination of other robots part in it. The system would be good if it were more then just mere drag-and-drop system, similar to how equipping a robot right now works. The system(robot) should have many different variables that react to each other in both good and bad ways, require different extensions and so on. Basically something that would allow one to build extremely big variety of bots and where I could feel that imagination is the only limit. Also every fit I do should not be as good as the other, there should be some fits that just dont go well together due to conflicts in parts or just generally bad strategies and some that go very well together - I want to feel that I could be the discoverer of something great.

I am not talking about just combining few parts here and there but I am talking about having a whole bunch of modules inside the robot, like core, electronic systems, CPU, (insert anything that pops into your mnd and fits) that can be switched and maybe even configured and edited. They would be somewhat similar to the modules we have right now.

- Has to be complex.
- Should take a while to learn and even longer to master.
- Should break the rock-paper-scissor we have right now(which is acceptible imo considering the bots would have different bits from different races).

Of course it is just one idea but if enought people put their brains to work, Im sure some gems could be picked. Its late here so I just wrote briefly on the topic, will edit the post tomorrow. smile

// I like most of Argas ideas too. Having a variety of things like that to do would basically mean indefinet endgame content.

basicly, i would like to see a meaning to:
- faction choice
- trading
- losing your robot in pve
- standing to npc corps
- playing the game with a single account at once

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Anni, please don't make this an "everything I ever wanted to see fixed in the game"-thread smile

The question was about long-term goals, but maybe that's not the proper question anyway. Why do you want to be part of an empire? Most likely to gain wealth and fame. Why do you want to build better robots? To be more effective in gaining further wealth or fame. I think pretty much everything boils down to that, so in the end those two are and will always be the real long-term goals. Thus the real question is probably "How can we make getting wealthy and/or famous more interesting?" and "What motivations will you have when you are already wealthy and famous?".

A lot of games solve the latter issue by introducing new equipment on a regular basis, which are just a little bit better than the previous ones; a sort of "loot inflation" process. Since the desire for collecting new shiny loot is probably one of the most common driving forces for players, this can indeed provide endless goals and motivation. However in an open world such as ours this would also create a balancing nightmare, a constantly growing gap between veterans and newbies.

The former question is usually solved by making you forget about the fact that what you are currently doing is gaining wealth and fame. This is what themepark MMOs are doing - as long as the story lasts, you're good. Maybe have some achievements to keep you busy if you finish all the missions, and raids with ridiculously rare loot, but other than those you're usually back to the waiting period for the next expansion where you can do new missions.

As I see it, the real options for us are really rare or even unique items/robots/resources, and being better in doing something than most of the others, AND letting them know about it. How we implement these in the game is of course the more interesting question - instanced and semi-instanced "community" raids, achievements, leaderboards and so on; our drawing board is full with such things smile

30 (edited by Burial 2012-03-24 01:41:32)

How would the community raids work? Would they be like events or would they occur more often?

Burial wrote:

How would the community raids work? Would they be like events or would they occur more often?

They would be regular automated events, sort of PvE intrusions on specifically designed islands.

I'm a fan of good storylines. Whole concept of Earthlings attacking other planets for resources is really cool, so imo beef up the main storyline. Current assigment system doesn't make you feel that you have an impact on the main story.

Right now assigments look like old school boring quests. Go to location A and kill X amount of Z type npcs.
In example assigment Fire Valkyre III - go to points A,B,C (ok, that's covered by the story no problem) but at the last location you notice that some equipment is missing and you must get it back. The problem is that those "thieves" are npcs who are spawning in the same location 24/7, so it's just go there kill enough npcs to get that "thing" and go back. In the end all the assigments are the same so you don't even need to read the story because it isn't adding anything.

Also interesting idea which Guild Wars 2 has is public quest system, ie.: "wild npc appears" and you may or may not take part in eliminating the threat but if you choose to that equals profit. In perp, ie. we have roaming spawns, why not spice it up and make them less brain dead, ie.: strike force of lights/assaults or mixed mechs/HMs are on the mission to move some important stuff or to destroy some syndicate buildings - msg is broadcasted to agents within certain radius to inform them about the threat, or that might be anything from fixing damaged structure to hauling some stuff or even mixing a little bit of both.

I had some more ideas but it's late for me and I'll forgot most of them tongue

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Wow, looks like I need to type faster (or spellcheck faster) hmm

Adding more stuff to the Syndicate Shop and (maybe) make them relation dependent will add another profession into the game.

Getting rich and having pimped gear are goals itself too. Especially when you have some really rare modules in the game (t4+ are really rare atm).

I really don't like the idea of instanced stuff, even semi-instanced.

You'll always need to work on new ideas for PvE if you want to keep pve-oriented players.

DEV Zoom wrote:

They would be regular automated events, sort of PvE intrusions on specifically designed islands.

Like borderlands? That might be interesting, depends how it would be made.

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

MY long term PvE goal would be to be part of the story - helping the syndicate to increase their territory on NIA, building up an infrastructure, defending it against (currently passive) Niani forces, and helping to keep the political balance between the three (currently totally unnecessary) factions of the project alive.

As industrial, i want to be able to provide the playerbase with stuff only i can build and that has my brand-name on it. I want to sell my crafted boods to an existing demand, (which doesnt exist atm, because pve losses are rare, pvp corps are self-sufficent, and t1-t3 market is filled with loot...)

last but not least, i want to be able to reach such goals with a single account, where i dont need a second account once i move away more then 3km from the next docking possibility....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

DEV Zoom wrote:

The question was about long-term goals, but maybe that's not the proper question anyway. Why do you want to be part of an empire? Most likely to gain wealth and fame

Ignoring the mechanics of how it's acutally achieved, and basically agreeing with what your saying, I want to make a 'mark' on any game I play. In an arcade game, it was about spending hours and hundreds of quarters to get my initials on the top of the list.

What draws me to perp is the "persistance" and the idea that if you mention "Arga" to someone, they'll likey to know me (as a forum-whore, but wth, fame is fame).

Building walls was the first 'taste' of being able to make my mark on the game, Jas even literally wrote his name in the sand.

Gamma, raising Islands, building bots... these are all tools I see that will allow me to personalize the game.

When I become part of a corporation, their achiements are also mine. So while my goal "in-game" may be fame too, it's not necesarily personal fame; or maybe with eHarm it will be infamy...

In any case, yes. Give me tools to reshape the world and the world will provide its own challenges to stop me.

Or just name an Island after me... hey, 3k posts have to be worth something.

See, the problem with a lot of these suggestions is (deliberately or not) that they're all cribbed from eve online. Even if it was accidental, perpetuum does walk a similar path and there will always be some cross over. That's not inherently bad but perpetuum needs a unique selling point in the endgame - something for potential players to hear about and go 'oh god yeah, I want some of that'.

Focussing on mechanics that perpetuum doesnt share with The Other Game seems to be the way forwards - the cover/Los mechanic is pretty nifty, and also means there is the potential to fight ~inside huge player built cities, factories, research or communication outposts. But building a base and going inside arent all that exciting, everybody has a base of some sort. Perhaps you could physically steal research or resources in daring raids on these structures. Negotiating with whoever 'owns' the island to pay them rent for building a communications outpost that provided intel on bots passing through, or just throwing structures up and defending them when the neighbors came nocking.

I dunno, perhaps enterable structures arent the way to go, perhaps the perpetuum endgame should be based out of giant nomadic sand crawler type machines (without doomsday weapons obv;)) that can redeploy your entire corp much more quickly. Maybe structures completely suck and the real endgame is all about building very expensive robots to pvp in, or in enslaving other corps, or simply posting lots and insisting that makes you famous.

I don't think any one killer feature is needed, just more sand in the sandbox.

Random aside: You mentioned intrusions - Incursions in eve were an interesting feature actually - I ran a lot of them in hisec and lowsec because they were a total isk faucet - and the overwhelming feeling was that lowsec was simply an opportunity for the larger corps to get richer, and high-sec public fleets were filled with guys who mutually loathed each other, marshalled by equally loathed self-appointed FCs whose FCing ability ended at remembering the order you needed to shoot things and stay at the keyboard 23/7. They were broken because whilst a pretty cool idea and a great way to earn isk, they didn't encourage the non pvpers to pvp after the first fleet was welped, and they didn't lead to lowsec population rising.

And yes arga, 3k posts do stand for something albeit not quite what you think.

37 (edited by Inspiration 2012-03-24 14:00:38)

Just an idea, partially ripped off DEV Zoom, problably.

How about the scoreboard motivation someone else mentioned? It sure should be possible to add those to cetrain classes of activities. One for PVP killing, one for NPC killing, one best syndicate agent (mission/event) related?

Every time some record is broken, have some sort of notification everyone knows. Likewise for NPC versus players, such as hardest HIT recorded, make them come alive a bit in this sense.

I am sure people will find gaping holes in what i just written, but try to plug those holes in your mind and picture if the outcome would be worth something to have please smile.

As for living on Nia in general, I never have the feeling I am in something that is a war zone. No aggressive NPCs anywhere, and warring NPC factions completely ignore each other when they do meet. Anything that can change this feel of the game would be a huge boost!

As for living on Nia in general, I never have the feeling I am in something that is a war zone. No aggressive NPCs anywhere, and warring NPC factions completely ignore each other when they do meet. Anything that can change this feel of the game would be a huge boost!

Selling factor of many games: immersion

Perpetuum has a backgroundstory, a character creation and a faction choice system with walls of text - someone would expect an immersion buildup. Then he's confronted with an empty, static and passive world.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The question was about long-term goals, but maybe that's not the proper question anyway. Why do you want to be part of an empire? Most likely to gain wealth and fame. Why do you want to build better robots? To be more effective in gaining further wealth or fame. I think pretty much everything boils down to that, so in the end those two are and will always be the real long-term goals. Thus the real question is probably "How can we make getting wealthy and/or famous more interesting?" and "What motivations will you have when you are already wealthy and famous?".

Simply no. What fun is in gaining wealth or fame if nobody knows about it. Wealth or fame is a means to an end. The goal is to be different, to be outstanding. Nobody wants to be an unvisible, uniform part of the masses.
Give the players the opportunity to be different, some want to be the nr. one in the killboard, other want to be the ceo of the largest empire, other want to be the master crafter...
But not everyone wants to invest its whole spare time to this goal, they need options to.
Look at Diablo, a very simple game with a fan base that persists now for more than fifteen years.
For Perp you could for example:
* create item sets (combining several items of this set will give some kind of bonus).
* give us an option to modifix existing items, i.e. let me enhance a t4 laser weapon by a mod that increases its optimal range, or something that reduces accu consumption, or something that decreases hit dispersion...
* give us pure cosmetic options to enhance the appearance of a bot (coloring, lights, antennas, ...)

Another point is: The content is always limited, but you could enhance the replayability.
Instead of creating new content that is faster consumed than created, make the replay of existing content more enjoyable.

40 (edited by Lemon 2012-03-25 19:57:08)

whoops

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:

whoops

welcome to the forums? smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Frankly you will always need different goals for different people;

Scoreboards motivate some people;

I bet when we start transferring energy back to earth that the indy corps will be competing to transfer the most.  What about 'employee/corp of the month' awards with motd stuff going out saying this corp or that individual has donated the most energy

Fame motivates others

Anni's ideas about crafting unique items, thats why some people do things.  If i could some how create a T2+ equivalent energy injector called Jelans Energy Pumper (names would need moderating of course) that i researched and created at great expense but to know that i was the first to discover it and if anyone else uncovers that research its automatically called 'Jelans energy pumper' and will be forever more in the game, how much do you think that would drive some people.

Pioneering is something that people like

Artifact scanning shows some of this, but how about you dont release all of the gamma islands at the same time, but in fact the tp's need to be found or constructed/repaired and powered before the players can discover these new islands

Just some ideas of the top of my head

The issue with the unique craftable items is that at one point, all the names will be discovered and then thats it for the experience. I like the idea but it needs to be very thought out.

The main issue with unique player made equip is - the huge stock of data it would need. If you have ever openend a corp storage full with unrepaired loot from several hours farming npcs (~1k not stacked unique items), you will notice how this could break down the server.

Burial - the concept of unique player made equip would be a certain "random factor" for the outcome of the so-called prototyping. If you got a result that you like, you create a CT of it, and start to mass-produce it....

since we will never see a meaningfull crafting profession like this, i wont go further into details.

Back2Topic:
- scoreboard and archievements are a way to give someone a direction to play the game.
IF those archievements wont affect gameplay balance. (like missions for sparks, where you have to do those missions to get a certain spark which gives you an advantage over someone who doesnt run missions)

PVP players have Perp-kill, albeit a 3rd party site, to track and fluff epeen.

Having achievements and recognition for non-combat activities would motivate more activity and increase PVE/Indy player retention.

The negative side, the total lack of recognition and tracking doesn't give non-combat any credit for the role they play in supporting PVP.

This leads to PVP players, that do indy on the side to support themselves, instead of having a vibrant and appreciated industrial population.

Arga wrote:

PVP players have Perp-kill, albeit a 3rd party site, to track and fluff epeen.

Having achievements and recognition for non-combat activities would motivate more activity and increase PVE/Indy player retention.

The negative side, the total lack of recognition and tracking doesn't give non-combat any credit for the role they play in supporting PVP.

This leads to PVP players, that do indy on the side to support themselves, instead of having a vibrant and appreciated industrial population.

Indy players have a NIC balance, just saying, although more recognition is welcome much of it is just part of the betagaming and making a name for your self publicly.

RIP PERPETUUM

DEV Zoom wrote:

Well forget about the limited toolset for a minute and let your imagination go wild. I'm curious about what would be the dream long-term engagement that you would like to see in the world of Perpetuum, other than amassing wealth, rare items or fame.

After PBS rolls out, our number one priority will be to beef up the PvE experience, so we have our own ideas of course, but I don't want to divert you with them just yet.

I would like to see one big world with 10,000 - 100,000 players online at the same time-->its not impossible!

I can see 2 or 3 big powerblocks on opposite sides with nice amount of players and teritory! Alliance will have on gamma islands lot of stations,and it will be impossible to take them if u dont have agreement with one powerblock to defeat 3rd one!
ATM i maybee change my mind for gamma islands,because if u rush to fix bug and put in game missions and stuff for smaller corps then u will have maybee lot of new players BUT you will not have enough islands for cover that! You have now 25 players on island and that is pretty high number...

Back to story,
You will have lot of players who will do missions/searhing CT/mining etc on alpha islands and they will fill out the market with lot of ores/modules/minerals/KERNELS etc...
And with that money they will buy OFFICER gear for officer bots! They will buy also sparks but with better 10-30% bonus... Also NPCs will do invasion on island.. one per week they will invade island and they will be there untill all instance are finished! Also when they will be there they will do big restrictions to island (speed/locking time/rance/resists etc...)! You will need strog fleets for beat them...
For missions you will have instance,you will leave station and you will be able to transport/spawn on "spot" and you will do mission by objectives!
Their gamplay will be like that,NO PVP!

Mining players will be able to mining on alpha islands but it will be pain in thhe ***,because lot of players will be there so you will not be able to make lot of nik, BUT our PESTA devs solve that also,as always do!

With special probe ship you are searching "hidden islands",when u find enterence you can deply on some spot your own mini-station with factory! It will be indestructible for some period (month),and after that is vulnerable!
Mini station is too expencive and the catch is next: if u are in that hidden island,you can hard pay off station in that period of her idestructible time,so after that she will pay off,but best mercenaries in game m2s will come and kill you if someone decides that he want live on your place!
So you need also good team to hold that over month! Its place with lot of mining fields and hidden Npcs!
Read lot of NIC! big_smile

Industrial players will be producing ships,ammo and stuff like that for market!
Thay will build up their "tech" tree and hopefully they will get invite from powerblock to join!
Industrial players will be awesome because they will have ships for jump over islands and lot of sips who can deploy ships for mining field(compressing ore or reprocess=less space in cargo)

You will have lot of industrial/mining corps who will produce in hidden land big things for powerblocks!
M2s will protect them because they will be paid for that!

In that time in game will me capital mach who can deploy on field and 10 players can control him...
Its ust part of it what is in my sick head,now i must go home from work...

Also, it will be good to tell how you see game in 10 years!

Eve was tell players for walk in station before 5 years..
So tease me...

Lets see how Gamma goes for a a couple monthes (give time for the Devs to rest) then we will start the witch hunt on PVE content again o.O

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

After only playing for a few days there is a decent amount I like about the game. I think Annihilator said it best though, IMMERSION. That is what I am not feelign when I log in. I am another 5 or so year Eve player. I liked a lot about that game, oviously, but a hanfull of things turned me off and eventually pushed me away. I was, however, immersed when I logged in. Reading through all the posts in this thread I have been trying to put my finger on what it was, but I am not quite getting it.

I do feel that , from my very limited exposure to the game, goals might be one way to get a grip on my immersion dilema. I know that when I log on, I am be-bopping about in a cool looking robot. I like the idea of it, I like the genre. But after all the years, I think I need more work done on the Devs' part on selling me why i am grinding out money. If I am going to spend money on something, give me a nudge at lest. I think after reading through a lot of the responses, I know I do not want a theme-park game. I like the sandbox idea. But it is a huge turnof when I read people that say, "It is up to you, be creative the game is what you make it." I want to log in after a long day of work, and some good healthy time with my kids and escape for a while, blow up someone in a cool looking robot, or be blown up, but I want some better background reasons why I am doing it. AmI fighting for a faction? Is there a force of good or evil and I am fighting for one of them ? Is it simply business and I am fighting for my corp to help hold or gain territory? Not sure, sell me on it.

I have about 9 days left or so. I do look forward to exploring more. I am without a game right now so I am hoping for something to catch my attention enough that my wife yells at me. This game is itching at me, and I hope whatever it is I am looking for is here in the game and I just have not seen it yet.

My compliments to the Devs on what I have seen so far though.

50 (edited by Aaron Sool 2012-04-11 21:35:12)

Kailess wrote:

After only playing for a few days there is a decent amount I like about the game. I think Annihilator said it best though, IMMERSION. That is what I am not feelign when I log in. I am another 5 or so year Eve player. I liked a lot about that game, oviously, but a hanfull of things turned me off and eventually pushed me away. I was, however, immersed when I logged in. Reading through all the posts in this thread I have been trying to put my finger on what it was, but I am not quite getting it.

I do feel that , from my very limited exposure to the game, goals might be one way to get a grip on my immersion dilema. I know that when I log on, I am be-bopping about in a cool looking robot. I like the idea of it, I like the genre. But after all the years, I think I need more work done on the Devs' part on selling me why i am grinding out money. If I am going to spend money on something, give me a nudge at lest. I think after reading through a lot of the responses, I know I do not want a theme-park game. I like the sandbox idea. But it is a huge turnof when I read people that say, "It is up to you, be creative the game is what you make it." I want to log in after a long day of work, and some good healthy time with my kids and escape for a while, blow up someone in a cool looking robot, or be blown up, but I want some better background reasons why I am doing it. AmI fighting for a faction? Is there a force of good or evil and I am fighting for one of them ? Is it simply business and I am fighting for my corp to help hold or gain territory? Not sure, sell me on it.

I have about 9 days left or so. I do look forward to exploring more. I am without a game right now so I am hoping for something to catch my attention enough that my wife yells at me. This game is itching at me, and I hope whatever it is I am looking for is here in the game and I just have not seen it yet.

My compliments to the Devs on what I have seen so far though.

Well I recently came back to Perpetuum. I did this account when the game launched, but I was never hooked back then and left rather quickly. I regret that now cause now I´m having a great experience. I should have given it more time back then, but it sure has evolved and gotten better since as well.
But the most fun for me started when I joined my recent corp. There is alot more activities etc that we do as a corp, and I also love artifacting. But my advice to any new player is to join a corp ASAP, and I can promise you a better game experience after that. Ofc it depends on the corps as well, so be alittle picky before you choose one. Make sure that they wanna do aspects of the game that you like etc. Hope you stay cause I think once PBS hits it will get even better.