Topic: Lack of direction and end game makes for a dull and boring gaming.

Love the idea of this game but the lack of general direction (pooly designed starting experience) and lack of end game content makes for a dull and boring gaming experience.

If you can provide me with multiple goals for industrial, pve and pvp then I might consider subbing but becuase of the lack of content its just not worth my time or money.

GOod luck hopefully the Devs will figure something else to increase the number soon.

Re: Lack of direction and end game makes for a dull and boring gaming.

VIc Twenty wrote:

If you can provide me with multiple goals for industrial, pve and pvp then I might consider subbing but becuase of the lack of content its just not worth my time or money.

What are your goals in each area and why do you feel you can't complete them?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

End game is hugely lacking but the devs did once say that there should never really be an end game and it should always be increasing.

Perpetuum is about setting your own goals however the goals you can set are rather limited and usually about owning or gathering something. They need to add more trophy sparks to the Syndicate Store. For PvE players they could add achievements or little extra incentives to keep gathering or owning things.

There is a lot of focus on PvP end game but that isn't possible without constant and hard working PvE/Carebears fuelling the PvPers.

They're working on more end game features and are also looking into the possability of even better new player experiences but this is a sandbox. It's about making choices, communicating with other people and learning from them. It would be almost impossible to teach Perptuum mechanics through tutorials and no player interaction.

Endgame?  The idea is not to "win the game" or reach the "end" in MMO sandboxes.  It's about settihg your own goals with the tools available, trying to achieve those goals, and as the game and "universe" evolves to modify those goals and methods accordingly. 

A more applicable concept might be Zero Sum from game theory.  to quote wikipedia, just cause it's a Sunday morning and i feel lazy, -

"In game theory and economic theory, a zero-sum game is a mathematical representation of a situation in which a participant's gain (or loss) of utility is exactly balanced by the losses (or gains) of the utility of other participant(s). If the total gains of the participants are added up, and the total losses are subtracted, they will sum to zero. Thus cutting a cake, where taking a larger piece reduces the amount of cake available for others, is a zero-sum game if all participants value each unit of cake equally (see marginal utility). In contrast, non-zero-sum describes a situation in which the interacting parties' aggregate gains and losses are either less than or more than zero. A zero-sum game is also called a strictly competitive game. Zero-sum games are most often solved with the minimax theorem which is closely related to linear programming duality,[1] or with Nash equilibrium."

How much of the pie you can influence or control is really the objective.  This can be accomplished, just in RL, through economics, military action, or a combination of both.  It's about how you can impose your will to influence how much of that pie you can control.

The cake is a lie, have some pie...

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

5 (edited by Syrissa 2012-01-16 00:41:02)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Endgame?  The idea is not to "win the game" or reach the "end" in MMO sandboxes.  It's about settihg your own goals with the tools available, trying to achieve those goals, and as the game and "universe" evolves to modify those goals and methods accordingly. 

A more applicable concept might be Zero Sum from game theory.  to quote wikipedia, just cause it's a Sunday morning and i feel lazy, -

"In game theory and economic theory, a zero-sum game is a mathematical representation of a situation in which a participant's gain (or loss) of utility is exactly balanced by the losses (or gains) of the utility of other participant(s). If the total gains of the participants are added up, and the total losses are subtracted, they will sum to zero. Thus cutting a cake, where taking a larger piece reduces the amount of cake available for others, is a zero-sum game if all participants value each unit of cake equally (see marginal utility). In contrast, non-zero-sum describes a situation in which the interacting parties' aggregate gains and losses are either less than or more than zero. A zero-sum game is also called a strictly competitive game. Zero-sum games are most often solved with the minimax theorem which is closely related to linear programming duality,[1] or with Nash equilibrium."

How much of the pie you can influence or control is really the objective.  This can be accomplished, just in RL, through economics, military action, or a combination of both.  It's about how you can impose your will to influence how much of that pie you can control.

The cake is a lie, have some pie...

nice statement but i think that will make ppl leave and not stay... lol

i have to agree. if you need a hand that holds you and walk with you through the game then this is not your game. other players can teach you a lot and this game has a lot to offer if you want to bring your own effort in the game.
if you just want to take what the game throws at your feet, then games like wow or rift are a better choice for you. but its a sandbox if you like that, then you can have fun here. if you dont like that then you are wrong.

i am shure a lot of corps have intrest in new players. i think you will have no problem finding one that is willing to teach you and bring you into the game. depends on you, as it always depends on you in a sandbox. you are the player and not the game is playing for you.

You can haz NO PIE.

@ the OP. Welcome to a sand box game, here you make the real content not the DEVs.
You are right the game still has much that it needs BUT.... You the player are still the driving force behind it all.

First off by the looks you never joined a corp? if so then thats your first massive OMG big mistake. the Sandbox rewards people playing in corps.
the sandbox imho delivers more meaning full PVP.

If you want to have epic PVE tho in a game like perpetuum then man this is so the wrong game for you. Go play SWTOR lol or other theme park games.

If you are the kind of person that wants a game that holds your hand thru out your gaming experience.... well i dont think i need to go on.

You want a goal?  Join a Corp!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I agree with everything said in this post, BUT.. you still havent given me a reason to spend ungodly amount of hours playing and spending atleast $20 dollars a month.

I played eve for over 6 years and only left when CCP fail to understand their own game smile what drove me to continue playing eve was the mystery and large projects such as TITAN or Supercarrier build. Owning 0.0 space with moon mining. SOv etc etc.

Perpetuum doesnt offer any of these large ideas / projects. The only thing to shoot for is controlling a outpost ... YA that sounds like fun ...

Anyways, Ill check in again in the future maybe there will be some additional content.

In the mean time ill enjoy my free time and money.

Good points VIc. but, as a side note, how long of those 6 years did you play Eve without supercarriers and Titans?

Hi Arga, Acutally i started playing eve right after the Revlations expansion so carriers had already been apart of the game since the patch before. Sadly i think it was capitals that ruined eve so I dont care much to see them in this game, but if my only options are to join a corp and be a slave to someone elses plans to take over an outpost then as i said in my previous post I would rather enjoy my free time and spend my money on some other form of entertaiment.

I came over from Wow, and if you wanted to raid end-game, you had to join a guild. I hear (I left before firelands came out) it's easier now to PUG raids with the raid finder tool, but the cutting edge end-game raids are still only down within guilds.

Games like WoW and even Eve, the end-game content isn't solo content. Even the 5-mans require you to group up, although you don't have to guild up to enjoy them.

I intentionally played solo for 6 months here in Perp, after leaving my first corp and before I founded PIE.

You can do it, but it's very hard to stay motivated, because the game just doesn't give you direction.

Players are suggesting corps, because they do specifically have agendas, which the game doesn't.

Don't take this as a sales pitch smile  As much as Perp 'looks' like Eve, its not Eve. I don't feel that the devs are looking to provide players with more things to do in the future either. The plan is to provide more tools and items to work with, but it will almost certainly come down to players to figure out what to do with them.

tl;dr - To paraphrase a Perp dev 'we want our game to generate it's own drama'.

thanks for checking Perp out VIc, and please do stop back in a few months, the game is always being updated; even if it is slower than we want!

Vic, I see where you are coming from and understand your reasoning. Although why not start now to learn the game,accumulate EP.

Who says you need to join a corp as a 'slave' and take over an outpost, after all you its a sandbox. PVP islands are really close here, (5 mins) with a roaming group and you are there to pvp and have some fun even solo is good fun sometimes.

RIP PERPETUUM

Well, given a month or two you might have player built structures.

I guess I am not looking at it from the perspective that we the game players would shape the development of Prepetuum.

Thanks for the comments, you have really given me something to consider.

"I played eve for over 6 years and only left when CCP fail to understand their own game.  What drove me to continue playing eve was the mystery and large projects such as TITAN or Supercarrier build. Owning 0.0 space with moon mining. SOv etc etc."

Well if you want to work on building a Gropho Mk2 see how that takes you for a large project. The mysteries are all round the corner (they are currently experimenting with player built structures, bombs, walls, proximity probes etc etc) and I can't imagine owning 0.0 and moon mining to be that different to owning some beta islands and epi mining.

For 'solo' goals you are pretty limited, as either you have to do something badly due to a lack of EP to dedicate to it or you are doing something solo (taking on a commando beacon) which other people would do much more easily in a group (or at least solo with support bots), so to find a solo-endgame you are really looking at the mid-game for group activities, doing tough assignments, clearing roaming spawns, taking down an observer etc.

Finally joining a corp does not mean you become a slave to their demands, many corps are very flexible about what you can do, and only specify some 'rules' if you are working together to do something. These common goals are a lot more motivating (and bigger in scale) than anything you can attempt solo so I would definetly give corp life a try before deciding on if you like the 'end game'.

16 (edited by Rockshok 2012-01-31 00:06:35)

Mr Vic Twenty if your name has any meaning to it in terms of how long you have been playing for then you will know how the gaming industry has evolved.( Commodore Vic 20).
No one needs to sit here and justify why most of the current player base loves sandbox games. Those that are still here since day one know that sandbox games evolve over time. My gaming started in 1983 so I have seen many games do well and many fail. I also have played most of the MMO's, FPS and other Managerial type games on the market.
I enjoy gamming as a general hobby. Those that play in Perpetuum value their time but they also commit their time to a game that has potential, Hence why I am still here with many accounts active and love playing Perp. Never have I thought of leaving this game, I am optimistic and dont follow the masses. I choose to play what games I like not because others like.
Anyways enough of my ranting, first time posting on the forums. I would like to say that im really sick and tyred of new trials raving on about how bare this game is.

Peace Out

Rockshok

I agree with author. This game not for ***...

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

The op is bang on the money - perpetuum's sandbox has too little sand to offer any long-term goals beyond the accumulation of money and skills. Patronizingly explaining what you believe a sandbox game entails doesn't really change that.

So heres the thing, games need goals. Perpetuum is a game first an a sandbox second, it has a variety of short-mid term goals but nothing to aim for beyond that. It doesn't really need some Titan-esque bauble to throw into an alt's skill plan and forget about either.

ry ry wrote:

So heres the thing, games need goals. Perpetuum is a game first an a sandbox second, it has a variety of short-mid term goals but nothing to aim for beyond that.

This is interesting, what sort of long term goals should a player generated content game, that isn't a game, provide?

Industrial players, wishing to finish the research tree, is certainly a long-term goal.
NPC farming players wanting to fit out a full T4+ MK II bot is also a very long-term goal.

If your asking, "Yeah, but what do they do after that?" as being long term, then you have to move out of the realm of individual acheivements and into group achievements.

As I posted above, there are always limits on how long-term any personal achievements can be, as provided by the 'game'. Many many games offer repeatablity as players develop their own goals, like speed-runs, and this trend has been integrated into many other games as acheivements.

If there were 1000 personal acheivements added to Perp tomorrow, would that qualify as long-term goal?

In many senses, acheivements actually limit the creativity of players to generate their own goals, and place an artificial cap on what is 'achievable'.

Here's some long-term goal for anyone interseted.

"Start a corporation that can build and defend a gamma outpost".
"Have a fully T4-Fit Heavy MK II from each faction, and be able to pilot all of them"
"Get a Kill on every PVP player on the server."
"Buy out every non-seeded order on the market"

Feel free to add more!

'kill every pvper on the server' and 'buy every order on the market' are long term goals?

Christ, perpetuum has less to do than I first thought.

Can you tell us an example what you would like to see as a long-term goal?

Hmm, its not my post, I dont really agree with the guy here, since the game seems having a lot to offer, but as a totally new player who played EVE, Star Trek Online, WoW and many other games within the 10 years I am in online gaming, I think it needs to re - design the mission system into being more variable and rewarding, and sure seems higher size robots seems to be missing, but I guess its because the game is young

Other than that seems very cool, and got all the base to be great

23 (edited by Arga 2012-03-23 22:18:50)

ry ry wrote:

'kill every pvper on the server' and 'buy every order on the market' are long term goals?

Christ, perpetuum has less to do than I first thought.

OMG your goal list sucks is fine as an opinion, but Like Zoom says, and I say at the end, feel free to add what YOU think should be long term goal; so I can flame them.

edit: And, just in case your wondering if players have any imagination, and to what lengths some people will go to set their own goals in a video game:

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technol … rns-536384

24 (edited by Burial 2012-03-23 23:14:07)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Can you tell us an example what you would like to see as a long-term goal?

It is really hard to figure it out because of the limited toolset we currently have. I understand what some of you are saying about finding our own goals but even after some thought all I got was to get a MK2 heavy with T4/T4+ fit and thats about it right now - I'm working on it. Getting more NIC to spend on PVP is also something that is fun but gets dull and boring at one point.
What I want to say is: More features = more possible goals even to us who are unimaginative/lazy/picky.

One thing that pops right into my mind and what I am waiting for is terraforming. Sculpting worlds out of nothing is surely something I would consider a respectable goal, however, that feature only comes to the ones who wish to live on gammas from what Ive heard.

// To suggest something. I would like to get more PVM goals then just to kill monsters here and there. It does not have to be really profitable, just fun. I used to have a goal to loose all paintjob from my mech and it felt rewarding when I finally completed it. Shows that goals come from places where people don't look at them(look at the gabbage video for exaple).

Well forget about the limited toolset for a minute and let your imagination go wild. I'm curious about what would be the dream long-term engagement that you would like to see in the world of Perpetuum, other than amassing wealth, rare items or fame.

After PBS rolls out, our number one priority will be to beef up the PvE experience, so we have our own ideas of course, but I don't want to divert you with them just yet.