Re: Perpetuum is growing.

So, light laser Chemo rounds do 48 damage against 4 stars. That's a Baph MK II, so subtract 23% (-3 T1 tuners and 8 % MK II Bot) bonus, puts it about 36 * 4 = 144 every 2.3 seconds after resist (assuming speed fit has no hardners). [62dps] That's with my skills and T4 light lasers.

T4 Med repper is 230/12 sec against 751/12 seconds. Thats 19 Hps vs 62 Dps, Kain would need 320% rep bonus to keep up. Assuming no LOS issues but also not counting the Critial hit bonus - may balance out.

T4 light laser's aren't terribly expensive. I would say a Kain without a stabilizer would be in trouble, and a second Kain without a stabilizer isn't going to help much either.

Of course, I would lose because I'm not good at PVP, but seems like the bot setup is capable of it.

Syndic, I'm not saying a t1 light bot should be able to solo a Kain or any other mech. Or that even a group of them should be able to kill one without taking heavy losses. I'm saying they should be able to catch it and fight it.

Mechs, especially when flown by richer and better skilled pilots, have huge advantages over light bots. They hit way harder, they have a vastly superior tank, and they have way more fitting capacity and accum. That's all fair. But they shouldn't be able to entirely avoid even taking damage from us noobs in our light bots even when we fit for speed. Thy shouldn't be able to effortlessly control range when our guns can't hit nearly so far.

No combat mech fit should be faster than a combat fit light bot, even our ghetto fits. Just like no light bot fit should be able to tank better or hit harder than a mech.

I don't mind dying. In fact, I embrace it! Death is glorious!

But at least let me have a chance, however slim, of killing him by letting me catch up to the bastard. Fair is fair!

Arga wrote:

So, light laser Chemo rounds do 48 damage against 4 stars. That's a Baph MK II, so subtract 23% (-3 T1 tuners and 8 % MK II Bot) bonus, puts it about 36 * 4 = 144 every 2.3 seconds after resist (assuming speed fit has no hardners). [62dps] That's with my skills and T4 light lasers.

T4 Med repper is 230/12 sec against 751/12 seconds. Thats 19 Hps vs 62 Dps, Kain would need 320% rep bonus to keep up. Assuming no LOS issues but also not counting the Critial hit bonus - may balance out.

T4 light laser's aren't terribly expensive. I would say a Kain without a stabilizer would be in trouble, and a second Kain without a stabilizer isn't going to help much either.

Of course, I would lose because I'm not good at PVP, but seems like the bot setup is capable of it.

Speed-kains would neither be wearing T4 Med Repper due to weight, or a stabilizer - again, due to weight. As I said, speed-kain = everything is sacrificed for speed.

Juan Valdez wrote:

Syndic, I'm not saying a t1 light bot should be able to solo a Kain or any other mech. Or that even a group of them should be able to kill one without taking heavy losses. I'm saying they should be able to catch it and fight it.

Mechs, especially when flown by richer and better skilled pilots, have huge advantages over light bots. They hit way harder, they have a vastly superior tank, and they have way more fitting capacity and accum. That's all fair. But they shouldn't be able to entirely avoid even taking damage from us noobs in our light bots even when we fit for speed. Thy shouldn't be able to effortlessly control range when our guns can't hit nearly so far.

No combat mech fit should be faster than a combat fit light bot, even our ghetto fits. Just like no light bot fit should be able to tank better or hit harder than a mech.

But at least let me have a chance, however slim, of killing him by letting me catch up to the bastard. Fair is fair!

The chance is there in the terrain & innate speed of the bot. T1 framed light bots faster then T4 mechs = how much faster will T4 framed light bots go? What will counter the T4 light bot swarm FOTM gangs?

But lets say this happens and T1 framed light bots are indeed, faster then all mechs. Should Zeniths with 500-600 meter S-demob range be nerfed as well since they demob outside of T1 light bot range? What about Ictus with 400-500 meter neuts/drains? 700 meter ECM's from a Vagabond? 600-700 meter Tyrannos range? How about Seths and their 100k+ effective hitpoints in a shield-tank and/or 800-900 meter Laser range?

Being faster then a T4 mech doesn't allow you anything then to run away much more quickly and potentially blow up a light EW tackle or two with impunity. There just isn't even a slim chance a bit of speed would give you anything. You will be demobbed by 900-1200 meters, rockets will start flying at 750 meters, ECM's will start bombarding at 650 meters, and then the whole nukedom will start coming down from there-on, going at 77+ kph speeds.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

There just isn't even a slim chance a bit of speed would give you anything.

So then you don't mind us being a bit faster, is that what you're saying?

I don't disagree the odds are against us. So what. I've fought worse odds than that in EVE, and come out on top in situations that'd blow the mind of anyone just tabulating it. C-Beams off the shoulder of Orion etc etc.

Death don't worry me. Long odds don't worry me. Not being able to catch my bigger, stronger, more experienced, richer and generally better connected enemy in my light bot with cheapo gear? That does.

Juan Valdez wrote:

I don't disagree the odds are against us. So what. I've fought worse odds than that in EVE, and come out on top in situations that'd blow the mind of anyone just tabulating it. C-Beams off the shoulder of Orion etc etc.

Death don't worry me. Long odds don't worry me. Not being able to catch my bigger, stronger, more experienced, richer and generally better connected enemy in my light bot with cheapo gear? That does.

T3 Frame=Cheap inexpensive and gets the job done right!

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Juan Valdez wrote:

No, you totally misunderstand me, I'm saying the lights are already fast enough as it is and all it takes is a T3-T4 frame to get them going far above Kain speeds. You also need to bear in mind Kain is ~8-10 KPH faster then all the other mechs, thus balancing T1 framed light bots against Kains would severely screw up those other mech pilots out there.

BUT, its a scaling issue. IF you are able to put on T1 frame and be faster then a mech, that automatically means anyone putting on a T4 frame on a light-bot is faster then you; thus we go from mechs being faster then you in T1, to everyone else being faster then you in T1.

Get what I mean? smile

CIR Complaint Form

I'm only complaining about mechs being faster than light bots. I have no problem with higher skilled and better geared light bots being faster than my and my team mates in our poorly skilled and cheaply fit light bots.

Other mechs already can't outrun lights. They deal with it by using all the numerous advantages a mech has in head to head combat over a light bot. Range, tank, dps and the space (fitting atts and slots) to fit weapon stabs.

Telling a new player to fit a t3/t4 frame is ludicrous. If we had access to those items, or the money necessary to buy them, we wouldn't be newbies. That lack shouldn't mean we can be kited by mechs. Other lights? Sure. Assaults? Dandy. Mechs? Not kosher.

In case I haven't said it everywhere, this is AeonThePiglet. For whatever reason my phone is logged into JV and I feel no urge to change it.

Sabre906 wrote:

Tracking is already in game. Difficulty of medium guns tracking light bots here is about the same as medium guns tracking frigs in Eve. In other words, Mechs will still snipe you from afar. Firing arcs won't help as bots turn instantly and with recent assault nerf, there's no sneaking up on them to the effect where you're close enough to get under their tracking. This balancing probably has more to do with having no prop mod in game and no targeting resolution based on size.

The tracking in eve is more advanced at the moment, this game dosn't take into account speed, range or angle of approach when calculating hit chance or damage. But you are right with the balancing, adjusting how lock times are done would hopefully give smaller bots more time to bridge distance gaps aswell as making ewar more useful in keeping them alive longer.

Sharp wrote:

The tracking in eve is more advanced at the moment, this game dosn't take into account speed, range or angle of approach when calculating hit chance or damage. But you are right with the balancing, adjusting how lock times are done would hopefully give smaller bots more time to bridge distance gaps aswell as making ewar more useful in keeping them alive longer.

Likely will never happen in perpetuum, calculating those values in response to the speed that WASD movement allows is very compute intensive.  Computing them in eve with ships that change direction as a result of very slow control input is much cheaper.

110 (edited by Woad Kill 2011-07-09 05:23:27)

I think it should come down to where it is a flat standard across the board, No Assault Bot should out run a Light, No Mech out run an Assault, and no Heavy Mech out run a Mech. So if that means adjusting speeds within the game, so be it.

Lights are just that, lightweight, light guns, the scouts, by rights. They are fast, at least in to 110 KPH if not faster. Fitted with Sensor boosts, they should be able to out range any other bot / mech electronically, (unless damped / area jammers....New modules?) so they see trouble before actually running into it at optimun range of Mech with demobs and get 1 shotted. 

The Assault Bots are the Anti Scouting Bot (area Jammers to reduce radar range within a specific radius) / Heavy Scout and General Purpose use . They should be be in the range of 90KPH.

The Mechs at 70 KPH are the base EWAR / Battlefield Logistic platforms and or fire support.

The Heavies in the 50 KPH and basicly a walking (EMPHASISE WALKING) Turret of firepower and armour or Heavy EWAR / Battle Field Logisitics.

These should be the standard speeds with 0 EP bonus's or Lighweight frames applied. When you have Mechs out running Light Bots, you know the game is not balanced quite right. Ok, you strip ALL the armour out of a Heavy, and have the lightest of modules fitted and have Navigation at 10, then at most, that mech should be doing 76 KPH.

If you want speed, you have to sacrifice something, that being Armour and modules.

Maybe bringing into the game engine upgrade modules (Low Slots). An example might be better plasma injectors for an over all increase of 3-7% speed increase based on the Tech level.

What this is intended to do is make the Squad Leaders / Patrol Leaders think about their squad composition and bring a little bit of complexity to PvP ops make up rather than everyone load up for bear and going pew pew (which is fun but tends to get a little tedious after a while) It is also a means to ending the blob per se, where you have a gang of gun ships, torn apart because their composition was not thought out properly, got sensor damped and ECM, and picked off by a lesser number of opposing gun ships but who had the right logistics and support in place.

Just a few ideas anyway.

1f u c4n r34d +h1s, u r34||y n33d +0 g37 |41d !!

111 (edited by Lemon 2011-07-09 05:29:11)

Woad Kill wrote:

I think it should come down to where it is a flat standard across the board, No Assault Bot should out run a Light, No Mech out run an Assault, and no Heavy Mech out run a Mech. So if that means adjusting speeds within the game, so be it.

Lights are just that, lightweight, light guns, the scouts, by rights. They are fast, at least in to 110 KPH if not faster. Fitted with Sensor boosts, they should be able to out range any other bot / mech electronically, (unless damped / area jammers....New modules?) so they see trouble before actually running into it at optimun range of Mech with demobs and get 1 shotted. 

The Assault Bots are the Anti Scouting Bot (area Jammers to reduce radar range within a specific radius) / Heavy Scout and General Purpose use . They should be be in the range of 90KPH.

The Mechs at 70 KPH are the base EWAR / Battlefield Logistic platforms and or fire support.

The Heavies in the 50 KPH and basicly a walking (EMPHASISE WALKING) Turret of firepower and armour or Heavy EWAR / Battle Field Logisitics.

These should be the standard speeds with 0 EP bonus's or Lighweight frames applied. When you have Mechs out running Light Bots, you know the game is not balanced quite right. Ok, you strip ALL the armour out of a Heavy, and have the lightest of modules fitted and have Navigation at 10, then at most, that mech should be doing 76 KPH.

If you want speed, you have to sacrifice something, that being Armour and modules.

Maybe bringing into the game engine upgrade modules (Low Slots). An example might be better plasma injectors for an over all increase of 3-7% speed increase based on the Tech level.

What this is intended to do is make the Squad Leaders / Patrol Leaders think about their squad composition and bring a little bit of complexity to PvP ops make up rather than everyone load up for bear and going pew pew (which is fun but tends to get a little tedious after a while) It is also a means to ending the blob per se, where you have a gang of gun ships, torn apart because their composition was not thought out properly, got sensor damped and ECM, and picked off by a lesser number of opposing gun ships but who had the right logistics and support in place.

Just a few ideas anyway.

I dont run speed fits :*(

Well come to think of it latly i havnt moved from a single gate big_smile

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

112 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-09 08:08:56)

Juan Valdez wrote:

I'm only complaining about mechs being faster than light bots. I have no problem with higher skilled and better geared light bots being faster than my and my team mates in our poorly skilled and cheaply fit light bots.

Other mechs already can't outrun lights. They deal with it by using all the numerous advantages a mech has in head to head combat over a light bot. Range, tank, dps and the space (fitting atts and slots) to fit weapon stabs.

Telling a new player to fit a t3/t4 frame is ludicrous. If we had access to those items, or the money necessary to buy them, we wouldn't be newbies. That lack shouldn't mean we can be kited by mechs. Other lights? Sure. Assaults? Dandy. Mechs? Not kosher.

In case I haven't said it everywhere, this is AeonThePiglet. For whatever reason my phone is logged into JV and I feel no urge to change it.

T4 light frames are painfully expensive for a ground up starting corporation to use on ops.  Looking at the market trending and keeping in mind the possibility of the market having been polluted earlier due to item exploiting (looks like it started in april from this graph, and ended in June) they will consistently sell on the market for approx 1.7mil. 

T3 lightweights about 30 pricing at 420-430k.

I have industry running the numbers now but I suspect that this is quite inflated due to a) few T4 prototypers and b) 'It will be used against us' + 'nic is meaningless (for established beta corps)'  pheonemon.

As 99% of the new corporations are fitting assaults and mechs primarily for PvE at this time (as they all tend to follow Rule 1: Don't pilot what you can't afford to lose) the pricing is daunting at best, crippling at worst - which is why people are focusing on making the most NIC/hr as they can, and there are cries of 'courier missions broken' - likely primarily from people running one account and not doing them wink

It is difficult to afford what is being put on the market while internal corporation industrial ops can not generate the modules that are needed/wanted for ANY purpose, at least at this time.  There is no guess as to when the prototypers will unlock T4.

For the moment I am not even thinking about NeX, though by watching the corporation function I have a small microcosm to view in regards to playstyles. 

The current influx of players that I have seen are: Independent, Capitalistic, Paranoid smile  This means that regardless of the SIZE of the group, the advancement will move at the same speed as a smaller group.  The smaller group will get overall less kernels, but the larger group will tend to use more of their influx for personal need (selling on open market).

All of this to support the argument - yes, if we could just grab a T4 frame, we wouldn't be newbs.  It sort of feels like telling a noob in any game "just fit Fabled/Faction/Purple gear lol."  Which, yeah. smile

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Did anyone look at the base statistics of the bots? The base speed is going just like you want: light>***>mech>hmech. They problem in the speed sense is that we sacrifice weapons, defense modules and other things to speed fit. If other mechs were a bit faster after an update, we would prolly fit them even less.

So it's not about the bots, but what people can do with them.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

@ Wodan

You're perfectly describing the current game balance. You can bring a 100 assault blob and you will still lose to a properly built and organized 20-man squad with ECM/supression/demob/RR support.

@ Winter

I disagree, it takes a week at best to grind enough kernels to be get T3 lightweight frame knowledge finished & working on T4. With the way observer kernels work, this can - with some luck - be wrapped up in a matter of days. Its REALLY not that big of a deal, the only thing it requires is to put the corp before the NIC for a little bit and focus on that research.

Having a gang of independent, capitalist and paranoid players is fine; sure you'll have way more personal NIC then any of my guys (for example), but it will be 9+ months before you are at any technological level that lets you field anything but T1 with a smattering of T2/T3.

The solution isn't to adapt the whole game to your playstyle, the solution is to adapt your playstyle to the game. Do you have a dedicated researcher account that all kernels are fed to? Do you have scheduled daily farming ops where that researcher gets 300-400 kernels daily? Do you prioritize which technology you want first? All of those questions need to be taken into equation.

@ Aeon

Mechs are only faster then Light bots if the light bot is using T1 frame or plates, and the Mech is using T4 frame. A bot that takes 20-30 minutes tops to grind with transport assignments outperforming a bot that takes upwards of 3 days of transport assignments?

What are we talking about again? Either there is a reason to grind kernels & increase your production or technology, or there isn't and we can all just roam in T1 light bots. One point you need to understand, there is simply no way you can get T1 bots to be as good as you want them to, without removing the complete technology tree or petitioning the Devs to wipe everyone's knowledge base.

Because Corp A will fit their light bots in T4, you'll still be fitted in T1, and you'll still be in the same position where you are kited & killed, or chased down & killed. There is nothing wrong balance-wise with mech speeds, the T1 vs T4 balance is a good incentive to grind kernels.

What would really happen with T1 light bots being faster then mechs:

1. Whole server would swap to T4 lights as new FOTM, cameleons intakts and troiars would replace the current EW mechs being used because speed > all.
2. T1 lightbots would become the old EW gangs, engage and disengage at will and run away with superior speed.
3. Every mech pilot would see his bot become completely useless for roaming outside of intrusions which never happen anymore.

CIR Complaint Form

Xianthax wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Likely will never happen in perpetuum, calculating those values in response to the speed that WASD movement allows is very compute intensive.  Computing them in eve with ships that change direction as a result of very slow control input is much cheaper.

Those values are not computed when you change speed/direction. They are computed each time your turret fires a round. Therefore how often you change speed/direction is irrelevant, how often your turrets fire is what counts. Besides computing them is actually pretty cheap computationally.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Syndic wrote:

*Blah*

You forgot, i get to 1 shot MOAR PEOPLE! MHUAHAHAHHA

Undefeated 2013

Syndic wrote:

Because Corp A will fit their light bots in T4, you'll still be fitted in T1, and you'll still be in the same position where you are kited & killed, or chased down & killed. There is nothing wrong balance-wise with mech speeds, the T1 vs T4 balance is a good incentive to grind kernels.

1. Whole server would swap to T4 lights as new FOTM, cameleons intakts and troiars would replace the current EW mechs being used because speed > all.
2. T1 lightbots would become the old EW gangs, engage and disengage at will and run away with superior speed.
3. Every mech pilot would see his bot become completely useless for roaming outside of intrusions which never happen anymore.

That does not make sense. You're doing so many leaps in logic you're downright bunnyhopping.
Preserving speed scaling over all types of bots so that a t1 lwf equipped lighter bot is always faster than a t4 lwf bot of higher tier is not going to upset balance at all. It won't lead to light bot roaming gangs either. I can't even follow how you come to that conclusion.
Lighter bots still lack firepower and range. You are conveniently ignoring that and I find that rather disturbing.

Heavy hitters always should be at a disadvantage when it comes to mobility. No exceptions, not even with better gear. Otherwise everything below will immediately become obsolete and entirely redundant.

Batolemaeus wrote:
Syndic wrote:

That does not make sense. You're doing so many leaps in logic you're downright bunnyhopping.
Preserving speed scaling over all types of bots so that a t1 lwf equipped lighter bot is always faster than a t4 lwf bot of higher tier is not going to upset balance at all. It won't lead to light bot roaming gangs either. I can't even follow how you come to that conclusion.
Lighter bots still lack firepower and range. You are conveniently ignoring that and I find that rather disturbing.

Heavy hitters always should be at a disadvantage when it comes to mobility. No exceptions, not even with better gear. Otherwise everything below will immediately become obsolete and entirely redundant.

By this same line of reasoning, a t4 fit assault should never be able to out dps a crap fit mech no matter what. We shouldn't even have t4 mods, just remove everything from the game that's not t1. roll

It's the poor man's variation of the "buff me, nerf you" whine, where anything that he can't afford is unbalanced and thus must be nerfed.

Cost = balance. You get what you're willing to put on the line. Those unwilling to risk the nic/resources don't get to win.

Batolemaeus wrote:

My logic is clearly defined. You are arguing a T1 Light Bot should always, no matter what, be faster then a T4 Mech. I argue why that should be so? When it comes to roaming, speed = everything. In order to defend against roams, again you need sufficient speed to close the time-gap between your forward-tackles and your main-group otherwise your tackles die.

So, if the T4 mech doesn't achieve sufficient speed to deal with a T1 light bot, it becomes useless as a valid pursuing ship because there is no reasonable gain to warrant deploying a big investment like a T4 mech and risk losing it.

Thus, it becomes ideal to deploy T4-light bots/assault bots to deal with T1 light bots.

My further argument is, why are we discussing the balance of T1 vs T4 fits? IF you want to compare balance, then by all means compare a T1 light bot vs a T1 mech. Or a T4 light bot vs a T4 mech.

Or, compare the kernel & noralgis/raw ore/production requirements and compute that into balance discussions as well.

CIR Complaint Form

The adjustments to masking helped give assaults a unique role and reason to specialize in them.

And if you are complaining about t4 lwf mechs eeking out t1 assaults, well my suggestion would be learn to play. Buddy of mine told me this newb named thiole was making 10mil per hour mining & producing within a couple weeks.

MRE 3000 is like 1.5mil. L2P

121 (edited by Monster 2011-07-09 22:27:07)

The masking changes were a perfect addition (albeit while some thought it was a bit overboard), as it gave light bots a purpose.

Edit : My sincere apologies if I misinterpreted the topic of discussion. Only read a couple posts tongue

Syndic wrote:
Arga wrote:

Speed-kains would neither be wearing T4 Med Repper due to weight, or a stabilizer - again, due to weight. As I said, speed-kain = everything is sacrificed for speed.

Juan Valdez wrote:

The chance is there in the terrain & innate speed of the bot. T1 framed light bots faster then T4 mechs = how much faster will T4 framed light bots go? What will counter the T4 light bot swarm FOTM gangs?

But lets say this happens and T1 framed light bots are indeed, faster then all mechs. Should Zeniths with 500-600 meter S-demob range be nerfed as well since they demob outside of T1 light bot range? What about Ictus with 400-500 meter neuts/drains? 700 meter ECM's from a Vagabond? 600-700 meter Tyrannos range? How about Seths and their 100k+ effective hitpoints in a shield-tank and/or 800-900 meter Laser range?

Being faster then a T4 mech doesn't allow you anything then to run away much more quickly and potentially blow up a light EW tackle or two with impunity. There just isn't even a slim chance a bit of speed would give you anything. You will be demobbed by 900-1200 meters, rockets will start flying at 750 meters, ECM's will start bombarding at 650 meters, and then the whole nukedom will start coming down from there-on, going at 77+ kph speeds.

Stopped reading after the first paragraph.... Syndic has nightmares of the old Norhoop alliance *** gangs. I still think that's the best single point i've ever spent in my extensions, as rolling multiple mechs and light ewar tackle *hi cookie monsta!* with a few t4 framed laser fit yagels and a couple fast tacklers was some of the most fun i've had in this game.

Monster wrote:

The adjustments to masking helped give assaults a unique role and reason to specialize in them.

And if you are complaining about t4 lwf mechs eeking out t1 assaults, well my suggestion would be learn to play. Buddy of mine told me this newb named thiole was making 10mil per hour mining & producing within a couple weeks.

your buddy got lied to or the guy has 6 accounts mining on beta ;P

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Crepitus wrote:
Monster wrote:

your buddy got lied to or the guy has 6 accounts mining on beta ;P

This economy is in no shape to be able to evaluate profit on a NIC/hour basis.

->You just lost The Game<-

Take that up with Thiole.

Be that as it may, I make upwards of 2 mil per hour running level 1 transports. Few hours of work and I can fully fit any assault/light mech with decent ***.

Acquiring *** is not a problem in this game. Only a few nice optional items like high end resist armor are difficult to obtain as a newb.