1 (edited by Gravemind 2011-07-02 15:26:26)

Topic: Perpetuum is growing.

The last few days i was monitoring the Forums and the Game + User peak graphs to see how well its going for the Game.

I can list few points where the Game did grow:

• 1. Market is filling up prices are skyrocketing up too!

-Arbalest 550k NIC 5 Days ago / ca. 1mil NIC right now
    -More Sell orders than a week ago.

• 2. New players and EVE Refugee's joining this Game.

-1st July we had about 770 Players in the evening Primetime of the Server.

-2nd July the User Peak is already at 600 Players in the noon. (Maybe its just Saturday Weekend tongue)

• 3. Community Activity

-More Community made/hosted Fanlore (Fanfics/Podcasts/Vids/Pics/Forums) we have available.

Now i would like to point out one or two :thumbsdown: that makes my Heart bleed sad

1. The Rats in the Game are so limited so other players (even people in my own corp) are killing off my Rats because there are too less Rats on the Field.

-For example: I am Farming the 1st Star Havocs in Attalica, doing my lvl1 Mission and then there comes other 3 People and shoot off my Rats, theres really only 1 Spawn that contains 3-5 NPC Bots who are not enough.

2. Needs more Highways.

-I see on the Map too few Highways and if i see one its only few Meters long or is forcing you to walk 1/3 of your destination Fast and then the other 2/3 your Normal Robot/Mech Speed.

3. NPC's are able to run into Inaccessible Area where you normally couldnt walk.

User Peak Reference: http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … h_1200.png

ps: its my opinion dont nail me on the wall if you think different roll
pss: if you think my english is bad, keep my typos wink :german:

-Gravemind

Re: Perpetuum is growing.

Can I have your stuff?

Jasdemi wrote:

Can I have your stuff?

hey bro, i heard you are mad cause Perpetuum is evolving and EVE is dying.

Can i have your Perp stuff?

4 (edited by Jasdemi 2011-07-02 15:29:35)

Show me on this graph where EVE is dying: http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Jasdemi wrote:

Show me on this graph where EVE is dying: http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

hmm when i read the (All Time (daily average) Graph then EVE is dying, and no im not reading it from left to right. Im reading it from right to left.

Can I still have you stuff?

Gravemind wrote:
Jasdemi wrote:

hmm when i read the (All Time (daily average) Graph then EVE is dying, and no im not reading it from left to right. Im reading it from right to left.

If you were to have seen the perpetuum yearly population graph (has since been taken offline) you would have concluded the same thing, except EvE happened and we got a boost in numbers.  Dont be surprised if you see the same slow move of less people daily if there isnt some sort of major update or other EvE thing that sends more our way.  It may accelerate the rate of decay for eve, but I wouldn't say the game is ready to shut down for a while.  We'll see when that whole loan thing comes to pass.

->You just lost The Game<-

I heard Gravemind was buttraped in EVE and couldn't afford a monocle. Hence he's so angry.

9 (edited by Gravemind 2011-07-02 16:21:32)

Neoxx wrote:
Gravemind wrote:
Jasdemi wrote:

If you were to have seen the perpetuum yearly population graph (has since been taken offline) you would have concluded the same thing, except EvE happened and we got a boost in numbers.  Dont be surprised if you see the same slow move of less people daily if there isnt some sort of major update or other EvE thing that sends more our way.  It may accelerate the rate of decay for eve, but I wouldn't say the game is ready to shut down for a while.  We'll see when that whole loan thing comes to pass.

i agree with that.

Jasdemi wrote:

I heard Gravemind was buttraped in EVE and couldn't afford a monocle. Hence he's so angry.

:isthrowingatiredsmileatjasdemitoshowhowunoriginalheisintrolling:

you cant make me mad lol

It is hilarious that people think the impact of the monocle can be seen in a login graph just weeks after the events. One thing about EvE that is even more true than in other MMORPGs is the comeback ratio. A huge number of players give up and then come back a year or two later. Many just play a few months then go back to a hiatus.

I think recent events will barely show up on the graphs in the next month or two. But any "loss" will be covered in less than one year. From now to the end of 2013 several more rage-inducing expansions will happen. But, especially beginning mid 2012, there'll be a huge influx of new players to compensate.

EvE will not die. It will change. And in terms of size of the playerbase it will grow.

Here I am wishing the same for Perpetuum and even wishing that one or two new single shard sanbox MMORPGs appear and actually eat some playerbase numbers from both Perpetuum and EvE (and WoT and DUST and ...).
Why? Because competition is good. DvD as in devs versus devs in the gaming (real) world is as good as players versus players within a game (virtual) world.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman

Gravemind wrote:

1. The Rats in the Game are so limited so other players (even people in my own corp) are killing off my Rats because there are too less Rats on the Field.

This has been a problem since the start,  it does get better as people spread but yea, it does need some kind of scaling so that they respawn faster when it gets busier

well, a new devblog by CCP seems to have cleared the air a bit, which is both good and yet disappointing. I don't plan on un-subbing from PO for a while, and even after CCP's about-face (and the fact that I will resume playing Eve again because of it), it looks like most if not all of our SHDWC guys are still interested in sticking with PO.

Mostly I think this is because almost all of our guys have played Eve for so long (beta 2003 for me, lots of us are 2004-05 as well) and we remember the early days when things didn't work so well, there wasn't much content (compared to now), etc. For some, this is painful, but for us, it is kind of exciting to be part of something new, to be able to get in on the ground floor and help influence the direction of the game.

I've no doubt we might see a dip here in PO as players migrate back to Eve, but I'm hoping that a lot stick around for a long time and see where this game goes, how it evolves. For me, it is just a matter of splitting time between the two MMO's (not to mention the few other games I play).

Anyway, today is a good day on all fronts so far, and I'm going to enjoy it by having a beer and a smoke (and it isn't even noon yet here where I live!)

Gravemind wrote:

-For example: I am Farming the 1st Star Havocs in Attalica, doing my lvl1 Mission and then there comes other 3 People and shoot off my Rats, theres really only 1 Spawn that contains 3-5 NPC Bots who are not enough.

Notice what I've bolded. Move to the other alpha islands and I bet this will correct your problem.

Even with the EvE Dev blog, I am sticking it out over here.  I think that it can not be overstated how much confidence in CCP has been eroded over the years.

Will EvE die?  Unlikely.  However, there probably quite a few other than me who do not want to keep feeding them cash. 

I am pretty excited to be putting my bucks into this game with the hope that the Devs at Perpetuum will make constructive use of it and grow the game.

srike doubter wrote:

Will EvE die?  Unlikely.  However, there probably quite a few other than me who do not want to keep feeding them cash.

Interesting.
I do not think players are feeding cache to the game companies (unless they are also investors, company owners/founders or they actually sent a donation to the company). I think we are paying for an entertaining way to spend our spare time.
But what you write is true: a lot of players think they are in fact donating money and the recipients may or may not be morally worth getting their money.

-- Snowman

16 (edited by srike doubter 2011-07-02 19:54:26)

Pak wrote:
srike doubter wrote:

Interesting.
I do not think players are feeding cache to the game companies (unless they are also investors, company owners/founders or they actually sent a donation to the company). I think we are paying for an entertaining way to spend our spare time.
But what you write is true: a lot of players think they are in fact donating money and the recipients may or may not be morally worth getting their money.

Yes, we are paying for entertainment time.  However, in paying a subscription for a game, you are supporting its continued existence and development.  From my own perspective, I am not so much interested in the morality of CCP (they are a business).  I am more concerned with lack of responsiveness in addressing ongoing problems with their product and whether I feel like that product continues to be entertaining or a good match for me. 

That said, I do feel that choosing to play and subscribe to a game is a statement of support for the work that goes into it.  If I have a finite amount of cash to spend on gaming, I choose to put it into a product/group that I like.

srike doubter wrote:
Pak wrote:
srike doubter wrote:

Interesting.

Yes, we are paying for entertainment time.  However, in paying a subscription for a game, you are supporting its continued existence and development.  From my own perspective, I am not so much interested in the morality of CCP (they are a business).  I am more concerned with lack of responsiveness in addressing ongoing problems with their product and whether I feel like that product continues to be entertaining or a good match for me. 

That said, I do feel that choosing to play and subscribe to a game is a statement of support for the work that goes into it.  If I have a finite amount of cash to spend on gaming, I choose to put it into a product/group that I like.

I think the WOT and DUST titles brought that feeling about, our money used to go to providing a sandbox, now it goes to other games. Which in itself would not be so bad if a lot of eve's end game was not in need of developer time. Still that said, i am staying for much the same reason srike mentions its kinda of exciting where this game is going i sense a journey is to be had here, and i am looking forward to it.

It's actually pretty rare statistically for an mmo to die. They do get old and stale though, especially if the ones run by a big software company get devs pulled to work on another project.

Nothing endures but change. -Heraclitus

Dyson Bhaal wrote:

It's actually pretty rare statistically for an mmo to die. They do get old and stale though, especially if the ones run by a big software company get devs pulled to work on another project.

360k subs with a maybe 0.5% drop in subs doesn't seem like dying for me, imo.

Jasdemi wrote:
Dyson Bhaal wrote:

360k subs with a maybe 0.5% drop in subs doesn't seem like dying for me, imo.

It's actually more than 360k for a while now, CCP don't release up to date stats. We can only judge from log in rate, in which a 10% drop over a bit more than a week is very significant, especially since when people cancel sub, they don't just go poof, many have one or several months of game time left. It's safe to say the drop rate would be more like a bell curve, one that probably haven't reached peak yet.

srike doubter wrote:

Yes, we are paying for entertainment time.  However, in paying a subscription for a game, you are supporting its continued existence and development.

That second sentence is what I disagree with. You are paying for entertainment time, fullstop. The money may or may not be used for the continued existence of the game. In fact most of the time only a fraction of the money is used for that reason, if any.

srike doubter wrote:

From my own perspective, I am not so much interested in the morality of CCP (they are a business).  I am more concerned with lack of responsiveness in addressing ongoing problems with their product and whether I feel like that product continues to be entertaining or a good match for me.

Ok for the "continues to be entertaining". Lack of responsiveness is only relevant insofar as it influences your entertainment (and considering CCP has never been responsive there's a good chance that players either quit very soon or, if they only quit after an year or more of playtime, they'll eventually come back within two or three years of hiatus).

srike doubter wrote:

That said, I do feel that choosing to play and subscribe to a game is a statement of support for the work that goes into it. If I have a finite amount of cash to spend on gaming, I choose to put it into a product/group that I like.

Yes and no, depends on what you mean with "statement of support". If you mean you like the game as it currently is (including the feeling of being part of something that still isn't but will be, which, as a feeling, is part of what it currently is) then yes.

Eta Carinea wrote:

I think the WOT and DUST titles brought that feeling about, our money used to go to providing a sandbox, now it goes to other games.

Your money has never gone to providing a specific sandbox. Any reasonable company invests in what gives the most potential return (at minimal risk). In the beginning it generally is just the first product, but as soon as that product has had a reasonable amount of work done, part (if not all) of the revenue goes for something as different as possible within the same know-how (in the case of CCP, it's another single-shard MMORPG but for a completely different platform and a completely different playstyle).

Eta Carinea wrote:

Which in itself would not be so bad if a lot of eve's end game was not in need of developer time.

The problem of EvE is that it now has an endgame. A sandbox should not have an endgame, just an horizontal evolution in terms of diversity, not a vertical evolution in terms of more power. As for nullsec, they'll redo it a few times. Beginning with DUST (wait and see: DUST will influence EvE nullsec much more than most people think. Not when released next year, but in 3 to 5 years).

Eta Carinea wrote:

Still that said, i am staying for much the same reason srike mentions its kinda of exciting where this game is going i sense a journey is to be had here, and i am looking forward to it.

I'm staying for the same reasons (also I came here but did not leave EvE, I'll most probably run multiple accounts both here and there. And probably on DUST too).

This game has a lot of potential. We'll see. The most worrying thing IMO, at least in terms of theorycraft, is the way attributes influence EP usage (EvE got this working much better. They did dumb-it-up and made it much less interesting recently, but the underlining mathematic is much more solid).

-- Snowman

Pak wrote:

As for nullsec, they'll redo it a few times. Beginning with DUST (wait and see: DUST will influence EvE nullsec much more than most people think. Not when released next year, but in 3 to 5 years).

lol

If Dust is even released within three to five years (look how long Failcarna took, compared to the, "Walking in stations d00dz!" crap coming out of CCP for the better part of EVE's lifespan), it's going to be released on a platform that's already on its way out, in an overpopulated, hyper-competitive FPS market, by a company who has zero FPS experience whatsoever.

Good luck with that. cool

No, Dust is going to be another brilliant idea that, if released, will be released half-arsed and never again looked at, relegated to a shallow unmarked grave along with mining and FW, among others.

Now on to the topic:

Gravemind wrote:

Indeed - at first, it reminded me of the old days of EQ, when you'd have to walk five miles uphill in the snow both ways just to find a rat to kill. big_smile   Haven't had much of a problem for me lately since I have moved out further - but then, I'm not sitting around trying to grind standings.

From what I could tell, mission targets were fairly static.   Would be awesome to have them randomized a bit - multiple locations and such, so everyone's not going after the same loldrones all the time.

Discussing what died and what didn't, what changed and what didnt, etc., is sort of silly.  In the end it was a personal decision, made by each person.  That it was a lot of people simply shows a cohesion in certain mindsets of these people.

I agree you do pay for a game to be entertained - but instead I'll use the word 'fulfilled'.   Some people are also fulfilled by the feeling of involvement. 

Either way I'm not going back any time soon, of at all.  I won't go into details on the matter publicly.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Pak wrote:

Eve and other mmos are fundamentally services. There is an understanding that if you subscribe to Eve or Perpetuum, you pay the devs, you pay for the infrastructure, and you pay for continued development which is crucial to the continued appeal of the game.
When I'm paying for services in other parts of real life, and the guy I hired is an impolite ***, chances are I'm not going to hire him a second time for his service.

This is something many mmo devs are completely unaware of. They're not selling a can of soup, they're selling something that has a much more personal connection to people. That's why the public image of an mmo company is such a huge deal.

The recent server problems are a great example of this. The devs thought they'd get burned at the stake, but because they could establish a personal connection to their community and therefore customers, they came out of this with a positive image despite having a nonexistent service for days. Imagine how this would play out in Eve where the community actively distrusts them.

Which is, by the way, the reason why I put up with Perpetuum's broken mechanics. I have faith that this game is going to improve. Slowly perhaps, but definitely.
I definitely agree with the OP that the npcs need some changes in behaviour and spawns. I'd rather see small roaming groups actively trying to kill people outside of a specific radius of outposts, and scout groups within that radius for new players to kill. Mining operations would need to be protected if they were farther out. Stuff like this, more dynamic than the static spawns.

One great thing about Perpetuum is that the game isn't locked in place with a huge pile of game design debt and technical debt. The devs can still go wild without breaking everything, so I'm rather optimistic for the future.

Btw., regarding more highways..I disagree. Player built outposts or camps or whichever would be much better.

Batolemaeus wrote:

Btw., regarding more highways..I disagree. Player built outposts or camps or whichever would be much better.

Corporation built highways that charge a toll for players to get the speed bonus.  The highways at the same time can be attacked by players thus flagging themselves in the process.

...or am I going a bit too far?