76 (edited by Smokeyii 2011-07-08 06:37:04)

Re: Perpetuum is growing.

Marak Mocam wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

Right now most of us new guys can only build t1 stuff, so that's all you're seeing us put on the market. In a few weeks we'll have saturated that and moved on to t2 and beyond. Prices will come down with the increase in manufacturers not tied to a single corp.

As the market becomes more liquid and dependable, hoarding gear and minerals in commiecorp style will become less and less useful. Why? Because doing it all in house is a pain in the butt, and it's a horrifyingly irritating distraction when your core competency is pvp. It just makes sense to have a few duders who haul stuff -- minerals, rat drops, etc -- out to a central market in a safe zone for sale, and come home with a bunch of mods and cash for use in DER WARZ. Plus it's way less organizationally demanding, so there's less chance of burnout or accidental errors, and makes it easier for new corps to form up and head out into pvp.

So while things are stuck in commieland inhouse production nightmares for now, the development of the primary markets in alpha will eventually develop to the point that none of it is necessary and corps can slim down and focus on what they like best: building, mining, killing, what have you.

The commie comments don't fit.

It's tribal/clan society where players team up and operate based upon specific goals of the group.  That isn't communism, that's getting someone else to help cover your *** and exchange things of value - among friendlies.

As for the market, it does need fixing being as it hurts getting new players into the game.

This "vet" attitude of "join a corp immediately" doesn't float.  You will want to join one but the RIGHT one, not any corp that will have you.  Different groups have different personalities and what they find or don't find acceptable.  Try swearing a bit in some corporations and you'll get booted - others? Every other word.

One of the worst things in EVE are those that sit in NPC corporations.  Alts there can work but players staying there - few of them stick around.  Worse still is joining a BAD FIT corporation - those players don't last even as long as the ones that stay in the NPC corporations. 

Being as this game is quite PvP centric - the idea of "corp hopping"... spies, thieves, etc.  Not a good deal so shopping carefully for a right fit will be important because a bad fit will make the game look lame as the community then appears "too rude, too sissy like, too lame, too PvP focused, too PvE focused ..."

This market situation is the problem of many "young" games and games in the process of collapsing. 

People draw inside their cliques and any type of interaction beyond that group is reduced.  To turn it around will require the older corporations to stop thinking insular and start thinking growth wise by trading more.  The ability to shop and see things on a market is valuable to new players.  NOT seeing that can and will drive many away.  "Dead game" style.

This is very true, and something I tried to get my former corp to see. Early on in the game after it was released, we were all on equal footing. The research race was on, and the corps that got to the end first usually were the ones that won most engagements in the game. Selling T4 on the market meant selling it to people who were going to use it to kill you, so most corps came up with internal markets or ran it straight up communistic. There was no real benefit to selling it to people, as beta island producers get 80% of the nic for production back in station income if they own the outpost. So you didn't need much nic to produce everything you needed.

You hit the nail on the head with why the market is important, but the guys sitting on the finished tech prototypers don't want to give up a strangle hold on them. Providing prototypes at 10x materials (a good prototyper will make something on every one) to anyone and everyone would open up the marketplace like wildfire. Instead, those on alpha or not in some of the older more established corps get left to rot.

So what would a robust market encourage? It would encourage guys that would rather spend their time mining/running transports/farming npcs with a few RL friends, or in-game friends to buy the things they want. Eventually some of them will find their way on to beta to shoot at you (which all the beta corps say they want anyways).

The problem is, most of the current beta island corps aren't intrested in fair play, or good fights. They simply want to dominate their opponents. It's understandable, everyone wants to win. What they don't understand is that hoarding all the protos hurts them just as much as the noob that quits because he can't buy *** on the market.

Oh well... I guess in another 6 months when arga gets done with the tech tree there'll be market avalible protos... or at least more tech on the market.

*edit* That last paragraph in the quote is espically true in my former corp. Cliques get formed, and if you're outside and have a voice or want to do things a little diffrently, the clique gets upset and /ragekicks.

Refaring to Smokeyii ...

What the market needs most is a stable amunition market combined with T2 + T3 equipment for basic bot fittings.
- amunition
- repair units and resitence plates
- weapons
- energy equip

It is not needed to sell T4 or even T4P, but see them would defenitly help. Hell, put T4P in the maret for 6b NIC. I'm pritty sure, there aren't many, who can (or if can would) buy the item. But make the stuff visible!

And ... do you fear a mighty Yagal with T2/3 equipment @Betas? wink

Jack Jombardo wrote:

And ... do you fear a mighty Yagal with T2/3 equipment @Betas? wink

They do fear what can evolve out of these T2/3 Yagel enemies.

About the market:
The high taxes and the ridiculous short amount of possible sell orders by default (before affected by extensions) is a very ugly barrier for using the market as a new player.
An example:
There are roughly 80 different types of kernels ingame ... and you can have what? 4(?) sell orders?
Yesterday there were 2 guys looking for T1 small shield generators in the trade channel ... because there wasn't a single one of any kind on market.
The prototype thingy:
A dedicated corp can already buy good T4 prototypes. For a proper buck of course:).
I'm familiar with 2 guys that are willing to share their tech (both in established corps) and i'm not even interested in this topic since i'm not an industrialist.
Within my first week i was able to buy T4 stuff, that was not on market although i only asked for T2 (and it was damn cheap too) because this friendly buddy lent aid to a noob.

Sooner or later the market will be full and overcrowding IF Perp can keep enough player through the hard time. A few more independant indus, a few more bored indus, that are willing to share their tech and a few more massive corp thefts within communistic and/or self-contained corps will speed up the process:yarr:

The skills affecting market trade and taxes are basically the same as in Eve. Tax affect trade, but there's no npc corp taxation. The real barrier to manufacturing is research. Combat pilots in "commie-corps" spend hours upon hours on ratting in groups for mind numbing grind. They don't get to pvp much, but get to win when they do. Roaming in arkhes all the time and you get to stay in arkhes.

The market expands with the player base.  People will be ok with selling on the market because they have a smaller chance of being used against them.  Right now, if you sell expensive items you can be pretty assured that an enemy looking to kill you will buy it.

As far as selling prototypes goes, there just needs to be a calculated value based on the typical numbee of normal items gained.  Don't expect to see protos sold until a typical manufacturer is typically selling as many as 1 proto creates.  I feel most don't sell it because they're afraid of being priced out of thr market, but if they set the right price they can easily undercut them.  We just don't have enough people to satutate the normal items, let alone bother with protos.

->You just lost The Game<-

Sabre906 wrote:

The skills affecting market trade and taxes are basically the same as in Eve. Tax affect trade, but there's no npc corp taxation. The real barrier to manufacturing is research. Combat pilots in "commie-corps" spend hours upon hours on ratting in groups for mind numbing grind. They don't get to pvp much, but get to win when they do. Roaming in arkhes all the time and you get to stay in arkhes.

Please buy yourself a monocle for proper comparison. The skills are not the same. Within few hours of skilltime you can have 2 dozen active sell orders in EVE. Now look at Perps extensions in that matter. If research would be the real problem, then corps would set up adequate buy orders for kernels to reduce their own mindblowing grind. Check the market - that's not the case (buy orders paying 100 NIC per kernels don't count). But they have to grind anyway to stock up their supplies (either mining or ratting).
The statement about Arkhes ... please not from you. We're talking about new players in new corps. Not noobs joining the most established and biggest blob corp in Perp stating "you can start pvp from day one". What it really means: gang banging noobs in puny bots with mechs, mechs MK2, heavy mechs and superior numbers.
You know your own KB stats.

I feel better now:P

82 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-08 15:26:38)

Again, do you want them to alpha mine till they are in mechs or can they have some fun in the mean time? They are roaming everyone afaik not only the biggest blob corps.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Erm ... it was your own corp buddy maligning about Arkhes - not me. If they have fun, they could visiting you even naked wearing red clown noses.

And they are. If they didn't they wouldn't be playing.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

As it happens folks we've been roaming in light bots minimum for the past couple weeks, so I'm not sure where some people are getting the idea we still do noob bot roams.

Problem with lights is how slow they are with crummy skills and gear. I mean, I don't mind being slower than a player in a light with a few months on me and superior gear, but it seems silly that something two weight classes above me can outrun me when it already has bigger guns, better range and several times my EHP.

Would LOVE it if the game implemented a system where backing up was slower than going forward, and you could only fire in a 180 degree arc in front of you. Would make kiting less relevant, improve the returns flanking an enemy squad gives you (already pretty good as we've found on roams) and generally make position and terrain far more important. Our bots have only one speed and direction -- WAAAAGH! -- so it wouldn't be a big deal for us, lol.

Game does a great job penalizing big gangs. Would be nice if it added a few compensating formal and fairly logical mechanisms for rewarding maneuver and organization so that us big gang roamers with crappy toys can still put a hurt on the fatties.

Tracking is already in game. Difficulty of medium guns tracking light bots here is about the same as medium guns tracking frigs in Eve. In other words, Mechs will still snipe you from afar. Firing arcs won't help as bots turn instantly and with recent assault nerf, there's no sneaking up on them to the effect where you're close enough to get under their tracking. This balancing probably has more to do with having no prop mod in game and no targeting resolution based on size.

Sabre906 wrote:

Tracking is already in game. Difficulty of medium guns tracking light bots here is about the same as medium guns tracking frigs in Eve. In other words, Mechs will still snipe you from afar. Firing arcs won't help as bots turn instantly and with recent assault nerf, there's no sneaking up on them to the effect where you're close enough to get under their tracking. This balancing probably has more to do with having no prop mod in game and no targeting resolution based on size.

If they have to turn around to go faster and run away, they can't shoot. If they want to shoot and kite, they have to do it at an angle (which can be intercepted even in a slower bot because math) or go backwards slowly and are thus catch-able. You might not think it's relevant in an instant turn speed game, but most FPS games are instant turn speed and firing arcs with reduced speed when backing up work great to make retreating a painful experience.

I mean come on, this is fairly close to an FPS already. I think as much about cover as I would in one, that's for sure. Steal a few mechanics from the better ones and les get it on!

AFAIK you're the only one talking about tracking in here, so not sure what that's about. Aware and aware. Lack of prop mod is a FREQUENT complaint in NEX ts, as is lack of targeting resolution. I mean dang it would help if our lights had thirty seconds of breathing room to engage before mechs could start targeting.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

As it happens folks we've been roaming in light bots minimum for the past couple weeks, so I'm not sure where some people are getting the idea we still do noob bot roams.

Problem with lights is how slow they are with crummy skills and gear. I mean, I don't mind being slower than a player in a light with a few months on me and superior gear, but it seems silly that something two weight classes above me can outrun me when it already has bigger guns, better range and several times my EHP.

Would LOVE it if the game implemented a system where backing up was slower than going forward, and you could only fire in a 180 degree arc in front of you. Would make kiting less relevant, improve the returns flanking an enemy squad gives you (already pretty good as we've found on roams) and generally make position and terrain far more important. Our bots have only one speed and direction -- WAAAAGH! -- so it wouldn't be a big deal for us, lol.

Game does a great job penalizing big gangs. Would be nice if it added a few compensating formal and fairly logical mechanisms for rewarding maneuver and organization so that us big gang roamers with crappy toys can still put a hurt on the fatties.

Its the eternal discussion - why should T1 light bots not be better then T4 mechs. The racial advantage is already there for small bots to put a lot of hurt on speed-mechs, especially since the speed-buff light bots and assaults received. 1v1, a Prom will beat a Kain.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Its the eternal discussion - why should T1 light bots not be better then T4 mechs. The racial advantage is already there for small bots to put a lot of hurt on speed-mechs, especially since the speed-buff light bots and assaults received. 1v1, a Prom will beat a Kain.

Wut? Feel free to explain this in more detail. You know, for the people who feel that this reads like a post arguing that 1+1=3.

AeonThePiglet wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Wut? Feel free to explain this in more detail. You know, for the people who feel that this reads like a post arguing that 1+1=3.

Get in contact with me Aeon, My Prom can drop 2 Speed Kains 1v2

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

91 (edited by Smokeyii 2011-07-08 22:16:50)

proper fitting requires knowing what you're going to fight. If you're very highly specialized, and you know what you're doing you can fit some bots to have great attributes.

That being said, there's usually a counter to everything. The trick is bringing enough of the right amounts of the right things. when you figure out how, you'll win perpetuum....

At least until the next person figures out how to beat what you bring tongue

We need more information to go on then "i r beat 2v1 keins1!!" there lemon. I'm sure if they were fit properly, and werent piloted by noobs that cant afford percision firing 8 at least, they would have no trouble killing you.

Speed kain: noob racing to pilot kain and only fitting a lwf?

Lemon wrote:

Get in contact with me Aeon, My Prom can drop 2 Speed Kains 1v2

Feel free to post it here. If it involves t4 gear and high skills, you'll forgive me if I lol at it.

Remember, this is the thing I said originally:

I expect to die. I don't expect to be unable to catch what's killing me if it's a mech or hmech.

You must have damn good range on that prom then, because any duo looking for pvp should fit an ldemob.  If not then they fail and deserve to be wtfpwned by a light.  Id pay to see this fight.

Wait... maybe he's talking about NPCs?

Dunno, still calling bullshit

if you can fit an T4 evasive module on a prom that would make it difficult to demob and hit, while thermo load lasers would cut into kains weak points.

If you can fit t4 weapon stab on the kain buh-bye prom.

98 (edited by Syndic 2011-07-09 00:08:02)

AeonThePiglet wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Certainly, I recognize my original post was slightly too brief;

Add up the numbers it takes to construct a T4 fleet-fit Kain (as this is the ONLY mech that can outpace T1 Light bots),
Add up the numbers it takes to construct a T1 fleet-fit Light bot,

Now add up the numbers how many Units per hour 1 miner with avg 5 extensions needs to mine to get that.

And you come up with a huge disparity. People don't fit T4 for lulz, they fit it because its significantly better then T1. Therefore, whats the point in trying to balance T1 lightbots vs T4 mechs? Do you propose that ore-costs in constructing them are also balanced(why grind ore for T4 mechs if T1 lightbots are just as good)? How about balancing research accordingly(why bother grinding kernels if T1 lightbots are as good as T4 mechs)? Production time (5-6 days to produce a line of Kains, vs 1-2 days to produce a line of light bots)?

However, if you are balancing T4 lightbots vs T4 mechs, its an entirely different story. They are faster and better suited to outrunning their pursuit (higher speed), outpositioning their pursuit (terrain capability), the only drawback is range (~150-200m on Lights vs 300-400 on Kains, if fitted with EM, otherwise 200m); which still gives the T4 lightbots a 2/3 advantage in all the main fields relevant to PVP - speed, terrain, and range.

The main reason why a T4 Prometheus can kill a T4 speed-Kain is because the Kain sacrifices everything - rep-power, armor, cap - to become a glass-cannon. Yellow bots are blue's racial enemy, therefore unless Liquidcore slugs are loaded & precision 9 leveled, it won't do much damage to the Prom. Whereas a T4 Prometheus will usually be using volcanic/crypto/multispec, meaning it'll rip the Kain a new one because it can't withdraw (greater Prom speed) and it can't outrep the damage (Yellow racial bonus vs Blue bots).

Effort+Planning=Win
1+1=2.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Smokeyii wrote:

If you can fit t4 weapon stab on the kain buh-bye prom.

Promo is hit size 3, while Med slugs weapons are 9 or 10 dispersion, so yeah at least 1 aginst the evasion mod just to get back to 33% range.

Still, even being able to out dps a repping kain in a prom would be something in itself.id like to either see that fight or a proof of concept video, fits and EP shown.