Re: Perpetuum is growing.

Sounds almost exactly like a jump bridge network mad

Well, the problem with NPC Spawns realy hurts new players at the moment.

Just for excample the the level 0 mission where you need to kill&loot NPC. As new player your lock time is slow and so your changs to finish your mission is pritty low when there are 3 to 5 more advanct Player with Assault bots and Sensor Boosters.

So you start, sit in your fency little Spider .... and notice, that you need 30 mins to finish your mission as the spot is totaly overfarmed.

You see excakt the same bot 500 meter left/right/top/bottom but with them you can't finish your mission as they aren't in the red area.
And this is the real problem sad. Area bount missions, not NPC-bount missions.
If I have to kill 5 drones ANY drone should finish the mission. Not just the one in the red little cicle. If I have to loot 7 items from "1st star xxx" ANY "1st star xxx" should drob this items for me. Not just the one in this little red cicle.

This would of course need some code changings.
Check on kill "player has mission x need to loot item y related to this bot-type? add additional loot y".

The problem with that is the bots will drop said mission loot for anyone, so they'd have to change the code to only drop when the player has said mission and then could kill any bot of that type.  If they expanded the possible kill zones without checking the player for the mission, you'd just have tons of consoles dropping everywhere.

->You just lost The Game<-

600 new players in (2) days...

They can't possibly adjust the spawn rate to fully account for 600 new players, and while the idea of dynamic spawns is great, if it's not already coded, by the time they finished it, 50% of those 600 will have moved on (no one expects 100% retention of the latest Eve inrush) and many of the remaining will have joined corps and moved off the Alpha-1 Islands.

So, the effort for dynamic spawns would be wasted, as the 'swarm' of new players will no longer be in the starter areas. So the only benefit would be to now-vet-players farming fast spawning NPC bots that dynamically match thier kill ability; great for them, not so great for balance.

This shortage will adjust itself as players progress. The best way to STOP farming of the lower mission npc's is to make it less profitable to do it.

Slow the respawn rate, but create multiple spawns areas, so that OP players killing the 6 NPC's in 1 minute will have to wait 5 mins until they respawn, but the appropriate level player will kill them slower and will either never kill them all, or only have a short wait for the next respawn. And if one site is busy, they can optionally go to a second or third, that are far away from each other, but the same dist. from the outpost.

For Alpha-2 spawns - competition isn't just about PVP on beta, lock faster.

No, nerfing is NEVER a good idear.

Why do PvP player allways want to nerf PvE?
Do we PvE player ask to nerf your (personal belive) damn useless (/personal belive) PvP?

You like PvP ... do it.
I don't like PvP ... stop trying to force me into PvP !!

Sandbox game == everone can do what HE like .... and not what some random PvP junky want him to do!

lol... are you calling me a PVPer?

Should just reduce the base lock time on smaller bots tbh. Should at least reduce the arkhe lock time by about 3 seconds, can't exactly *** loot rights with 2 guns and 2 max lockable targets effectively anyway.

Something else is growing too, if you know what i mean wink

sharp, that's not a bad suggestion at face value, but it would cause issues when transitioning to the next bot and be percieved as a 3 second penalty for upgrading.

as jack points out, its a sandbox game, the most you can do is 'discourage' the farming of starter level bots, if a hmech wants to sit out there and grief the new players they should be allowed to, but distributed spawns will limit the impact

and although it may not feel like it to the guy farming 0-1 star npc's for NIC, they are griefing the new players that are trying to kill the same bots for an assignment, so the suggestion isn't about changing PVE for PVP, its about making the new experience better, but once your hunting 3-4 star npc's you big enough to deal with having to share a single good spawn site.

Graphical representation of bitterver migration from eve

Hehulk wrote:

Sounds almost exactly like a jump bridge network mad

That is hardly even remotely close to what the EVE jump bridge network crap was/is.  That said, I understand your concern with fail game mechanics from EVE seeping over to this game.

Neoxx wrote:

The problem with that is the bots will drop said mission loot for anyone, so they'd have to change the code to only drop when the player has said mission and then could kill any bot of that type.  If they expanded the possible kill zones without checking the player for the mission, you'd just have tons of consoles dropping everywhere.

i didn't realize they were doing that until i looked at my loot after a drone kernel collection run. after noticing that people were leaving the mission loot behind, i've started doing the same. everyone benefits!

srike doubter wrote:

Even with the EvE Dev blog, I am sticking it out over here.  I think that it can not be overstated how much confidence in CCP has been eroded over the years.

Will EvE die?  Unlikely.  However, there probably quite a few other than me who do not want to keep feeding them cash. 

I am pretty excited to be putting my bucks into this game with the hope that the Devs at Perpetuum will make constructive use of it and grow the game.

I know part of my money covers operating costs, ie servers, internet connectios and what not. But I do feel like some of it is a donation as it's being used to develop WoD and Dust. I'm not going to buy a console just to play Dust, given that most console games tend to be FOTM I can't see Dust lasting very long if it stays only on PS. There is no way I'm going to play WoD seeing what they think stuff in the NeX is worth, $20 for a virtual T-shirt, hmm 3 T-shirts or a 60 of real life whisky, I'ma go with the second lol

Corporate development of alpha2 territory is a neat idea. Would give carebears 4 lyfe a way to change the map. Toll roads and outposts that can change hands only after a bidding war would add a sense of vibrant life to otherwise static territory, and would also serve as a handy player scaled sink for nic if it gave preferential access to better factories. Even better if they generated half the income from taxes that would otherwise go to npcs from markets and service usage. Would give alpha2 outpost owning players an incentive to encourage others to migrate out to their territory.

40 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-06 02:15:24)

Exhaustion over the past week is forcing me to have trouble putting thoughts into words wink  but some 'intermediate step' between Alpha 1 and Beta on Alpha 2 would be interesting (beyond longer roads and less convienent teleports to reflect its nature.  Corp. infrastructure of *some* kind would be interesting as long as it isn't solely unique to alpha 2 in all aspects, but something that could work as an 'industrial/infrastructure training ground' for eventual beta-dwellers' that would still be a full and exciting system to participate in on it's own.  My brain drifts to a certain mmo where you could build non-instanced structures from raw materials on the landscape... the 'rent' for the locale functions as an in-game currency sink to keep the economy rolling and encourages continued participation in the land location for corp or individual owner, and building buildings in 'that' game introduces an entirely new character class -- people pay builders to hail and construct for them, etc.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

41 (edited by Heartless 2011-07-06 05:01:32)

Jasdemi wrote:
Dyson Bhaal wrote:

It's actually pretty rare statistically for an mmo to die. They do get old and stale though, especially if the ones run by a big software company get devs pulled to work on another project.

360k subs with a maybe 0.5% drop in subs doesn't seem like dying for me, imo.

Okey Dokie!!
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game … yers-.html

No Effect just a active"Imagination".

42 (edited by Sabre906 2011-07-06 05:11:24)

Winter Solstice wrote:

Exhaustion over the past week is forcing me to have trouble putting thoughts into words wink  but some 'intermediate step' between Alpha 1 and Beta on Alpha 2 would be interesting (beyond longer roads and less convienent teleports to reflect its nature.  Corp. infrastructure of *some* kind would be interesting as long as it isn't solely unique to alpha 2 in all aspects, but something that could work as an 'industrial/infrastructure training ground' for eventual beta-dwellers' that would still be a full and exciting system to participate in on it's own.  My brain drifts to a certain mmo where you could build non-instanced structures from raw materials on the landscape... the 'rent' for the locale functions as an in-game currency sink to keep the economy rolling and encourages continued participation in the land location for corp or individual owner, and building buildings in 'that' game introduces an entirely new character class -- people pay builders to hail and construct for them, etc.

You mean like lowsec? How'd that work? lulz.

There are lots of uninhabited beta. A certain corp keeps chasing corps that go to live there off island. In one case, it's more like one guy chasing off a rather established corp. roll

Current game mechanics favor group work to such an extreme that anything less than a fully communist corp doesn't stand a chance. Not many are willing to go that route and stick all the way through.

There they go again, taking credit for the result of the devs wiping a corp.... roll

*puts on tin foil hat*

Sabre906 wrote:

*puts on tin foil hat*

You really don't understand what that means, do you?

46 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-06 09:44:22)

If we take credit in anything, is in that we stood at your level combat-vise till the *incident* created by a single individual who wanted to be next to God and create stuff from thin air.

Biggest corps that are still here, are only because they had to go great lengths to stay in the arms race. The less persistent ones quit. This is what formed the current ways of playing the game, not the things that were coded into the game. If you are going to whine that it's so unfair - then yeah it isn't, but it wasn't any of the corps that started, but a single person who didn't love the game, he loved to overpower people in any means possible. I think it was a game mechanic too in some way tongue

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

1) The only items showing more sell orders are T1 items.  Most of the T2 & T3 stuff is gone.  T4's last due to high costs so few are able to afford many of these yet high-demand items are also disappearing.

2)  New players are the cause of this.

3) Many of the new players are from EVE and are joining other new players from EVE but some are finding their ways into existing corporations as well.
----------------------------
1> There are TONS of spawns.  The problem is that you have to navigate back to them and everyone wants to hunt as close to the main-bases as they can.  As such, the more distant ones still aren't being hunted much.

A major problem here is the terrain.  Walking around mountains and around valleys...  Not too bad if you can plan on it yet many mountains and valley paths, where you need to go into them, lead to dead ends so you run around and around trying to find a path that works.

--- Some barricades need removal to provide more pathways - fewer dead-ends.

2>  Put highways between the outposts and terminals on the islands.  The long run versions would allow folks to step out anywhere along the path making faster transport between locations.  This would also make possible getting to more distant spawn points more readily - spreading out the hunters.

Not "instant gratification" with teleports at every single location but enable faster, direct movement where the players can exit the roadway at any point.

3> Sorry but I've yet to play any MMO where the NPC's had to follow the rules the players do.  Some things we just have to put up with.

Sabre906 wrote:

You mean like lowsec? How'd that work? lulz.

There are lots of uninhabited beta. A certain corp keeps chasing corps that go to live there off island. In one case, it's more like one guy chasing off a rather established corp. roll

Current game mechanics favor group work to such an extreme that anything less than a fully communist corp doesn't stand a chance. Not many are willing to go that route and stick all the way through.

I'm afraid I don't get the lowsec "lulz" reference.  I played with a different shovel and bucket than  you, apparently.

I was referring to Horizons mmo.

I also really don't get the signifigance of the rest of your statement or what it would have to do with a world-shaping mechanic.

Sorry.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Right now most of us new guys can only build t1 stuff, so that's all you're seeing us put on the market. In a few weeks we'll have saturated that and moved on to t2 and beyond. Prices will come down with the increase in manufacturers not tied to a single corp.

As the market becomes more liquid and dependable, hoarding gear and minerals in commiecorp style will become less and less useful. Why? Because doing it all in house is a pain in the butt, and it's a horrifyingly irritating distraction when your core competency is pvp. It just makes sense to have a few duders who haul stuff -- minerals, rat drops, etc -- out to a central market in a safe zone for sale, and come home with a bunch of mods and cash for use in DER WARZ. Plus it's way less organizationally demanding, so there's less chance of burnout or accidental errors, and makes it easier for new corps to form up and head out into pvp.

So while things are stuck in commieland inhouse production nightmares for now, the development of the primary markets in alpha will eventually develop to the point that none of it is necessary and corps can slim down and focus on what they like best: building, mining, killing, what have you.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Right now most of us new guys can only build t1 stuff, so that's all you're seeing us put on the market. In a few weeks we'll have saturated that and moved on to t2 and beyond. Prices will come down with the increase in manufacturers not tied to a single corp.

As the market becomes more liquid and dependable, hoarding gear and minerals in commiecorp style will become less and less useful. Why? Because doing it all in house is a pain in the butt, and it's a horrifyingly irritating distraction when your core competency is pvp. It just makes sense to have a few duders who haul stuff -- minerals, rat drops, etc -- out to a central market in a safe zone for sale, and come home with a bunch of mods and cash for use in DER WARZ. Plus it's way less organizationally demanding, so there's less chance of burnout or accidental errors, and makes it easier for new corps to form up and head out into pvp.

So while things are stuck in commieland inhouse production nightmares for now, the development of the primary markets in alpha will eventually develop to the point that none of it is necessary and corps can slim down and focus on what they like best: building, mining, killing, what have you.

+1

No issue with selling something that my enemy will come shooting at me with.

Why?

Because then the enemy will come shooting!  PvP!

----