1 (edited by Container 2011-01-06 08:24:08)

Topic: EWAR Lights too Cost-effective for PVP it makes other Bots Meaningless

Avatar Creations, you made a game with 6 bot classes but now only 1 bot class is actually worth playing in PVP from a cost-effectiveness perspective - EWAR lights above Assaults, Mechs, EWAR Mechs, Heavy Mechs, Light Bots.
EWAR lights: low EP requirement, super-cheap, easily able in swarms to defeat Mechs and Heavy Mechs, make advancement in the game meaningless.

Why should players continue to subscribe to the game to put EP in heavy bots and spend days earning NIC to buy a mech or weeks to buy a heavy mech if the 2 week-old player in EWAR swarms spent 20 minutes affording their ride?
And the EWAR swarm can easily kill mechs/heavy mechs through running in and out of locking range and using EWAR?
Cost wise, players can lose 6-7 fitted EWAR lights for each fitted Mech or even 30 for each fitted Heavy Mech.
This leaves people scratching their heads why bother to even train/earn Mechs for PVP.

And now will you add AOE weapons to light bots?  (Going by the pic in the blog http://perpetuum-online.blogspot.com/ it seems Arty is mounted on a Prometheus!)  This would only compound the problem and make the game one where it is useless to train heavier bots at all.  RR, NEXUS mods useless (need proximity to work).
The real problem is not mech/heavy mech blobs, it is enormous light EWAR swarms.
When they are in a large enough swarm they can easily deal with equivalent numbers of bots much more expensive.

Solutions: Make EWAR bots require more components, reduce EWAR bots base speed, reduce EWAR bots fitting, and/or reduce their locking range.  More importantly, make them easier to hit by medium weapons or arty.  Please under no circumstances give light bots arty.

EWAR light Online is boring.  We want to see the game we saw in the trailer where it is worth it to use mechs, Ewar mechs, heavy mechs, RR bots, as well.

Avatar, you do NOT want players who spend months going for Mech/EWAR Mech/Heavy Mech get disappointed as there is no point to it.  This would mean losses of subscriptions.
Perpetuum has good PVP.  Just one class, EWAR lights are too strong and overly cheap in relation to the more skill intensive and expensive bots.  Nerf it back in line according to cost/power ratio and problem solved.

Re: EWAR Lights too Cost-effective for PVP it makes other Bots Meaningless

I agree to this.

Container wrote:

EWAR light Online is boring.  We want to see the game we saw in the trailer where it is worth it to use mechs, Ewar mechs, heavy mechs, RR bots, as well.

Espacially on bold.

*edit* That's fine, but you don't have to quote the whole post twice. - DEV Zoom

Agree.

Agree. Getting tired of this. Very-very much.

6 (edited by Seridur 2011-01-06 12:19:45)

while light ews might be relatively strong I don't think the situation this bad.

1, This early not many specced enough into mechs, they will be more effective later.
2, a mixxed army (ew+dps) will defeat pure ew easily
3, the cost difference will be much lower later, and I'd rather have one more mech in my squad than one more light ew (not for roaming ofc, but in intrusion event sfor example)
4, it is good that players with realtively low ep and money spent can be effective members in pvp. The veteran players will pilot their mechs/heavy mechs anyway, money and resource will be much easier to come by.

Seridur wrote:

while light ews might be relatively strong I don't think the situation this bad.

1, This early not many specced enough into mechs, they will be more effective later.
2, a mixxed army (ew+dps) will defeat pure ew easily
3, the cost difference will be much lower later, and I'd rather have one more mech in my squad than one more light ew (not for roaming ofc, but in intrusion event sfor example)
4, it is good that players with realtively low ep and money spent can be effective members in pvp. The veteran players will pilot their mechs/heavy mechs anyway, money and resource will be much easier to come by.

Someone speaks the truth.

1 ewar is weak, 2 ewar are strong and 3 ewar is a nightmare.
They are not overpowered and what makes piloting an ewar any less fun than a mech or assault? Right now the only way to get any kills is with an ewar. We took 10 ewar and 10 mechs on a roam. The 10 mechs never got to shoot anyone. We even had to remote repair a Kain we found just to give the mechs nothing to shoot. Mechs are pretty meaningless unless you have a date and time to defend (Intrusions).

Roaming mechs will die. If you do not want to PVP then don't undock. As I see it now people already dock up the moment an enemy is 15km away at a teleport.

Build a gang from the ground up.

How to build a gang:

• 6+ ewar of mixed types. For each suppressing robot bring 0.75 ECM robots. For every 1 to 0.5 ECM robots bring a drain/shield/neut robot.

• Mechs replace Assaults as they do the same speed or there about. Bring a mix of assaults. Kains for closer range shotgun fights. Artemis for long range laser pewpew and Tyrannos for hill fights. Anyone unable to use a mech should bring an assault. If you have greater mechs than ewar at this point you require more ewar.

• With mechs now coming along you can bring mech ewar. Bring up to half as many ewar mechs as you have mechs. They're good but not great.

• Heavy mechs can now come along too but will slow the overall speed of the ground by a lot.

Note: You will want to bring remote repair with you. 2 mech/heavy mech remote repair and at most 2 ewar remote repair.

This should build a balance 20 man gang very easily. Ewar to catch/keep away the enemy and the larger DPS for larger engagements (rare).

The Game

Alexander wrote:

[...] Mechs are pretty meaningless unless you have a date and time to defend (Intrusions).

I want mechs/heavy mechs to be useful in more situations, not only at Intrusions.
http://photos.vaxlan.net/d/27299-3/sad_ … inting.jpg

Draftbeer wrote:
Alexander wrote:

[...] Mechs are pretty meaningless unless you have a date and time to defend (Intrusions).

I want mechs/heavy mechs to be useful in more situations, not only at Intrusions.

Agree. Mechs need fixing. They either need less hit disp more speed or greater range.
More health won't help but they are really lacking armour too.

The Game

Mechs are already stronger than assults, which is alright but should not make the assaults completely obsolete.
Mechs already can have good defense against light ews (higher range, many times more hp, places for modules which increase their already high ew defense):

I don't mind making the light ews more costly, maybe introducing new defensive modules against ew, but other than these I don't think any changes are necesssary. (and I'm not an ew bot pilot, I haven't even used demob, supressor, neutralizer yet in the game, If I ever go with my troiar I only do because of the speed, but usually I go with assaults)

And now will you add AOE weapons to light bots?  (Going by the pic in the blog http://perpetuum-online.blogspot.com/ it seems Arty is mounted on a Prometheus!)

Nnnno, that's just "whatever bot was at hand". It's just a trajectory calculation test, not an actual module.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Alexander wrote:
Draftbeer wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Agree. Mechs need fixing. They either need less hit disp more speed or greater range.
More health won't help but they are really lacking armour too.

Yep, the truth is mechs are combat-unimpressive, expensive and they die too fast.
Yes you can make them tank if you sacrifice all your dps and speed - but what for?

DEV Gargaj wrote:

And now will you add AOE weapons to light bots?  (Going by the pic in the blog http://perpetuum-online.blogspot.com/ it seems Arty is mounted on a Prometheus!)

Nnnno, that's just "whatever bot was at hand". It's just a trajectory calculation test, not an actual module.

Ah great, thanks for the clarification.  I await AOE damage then with less misgiving and more excitement.  If the arty is fit only on heavier robots, maybe that may finally give them some role to make up for their slow "sitting duck" speed.  Though I wonder whether AOE damage will render Remote Repair and NEXUS modules obsolete as bots need to be close together to use these effects.

As for this thread I just wanted to share that EWAR swarms wreck the power-to-cost ratio.
In the desire to give newer players a decent beginner's PVP bot in the EWAR light, don't give them such a good bot in swarms that it removes the need to get into anything better.

I actually have confidence in the DEVs ability to balance things over time after seeing things like the Arkhe nerf (no more weapon respawn in Beta), which dealt with the ridiculous Arkhe spam.
Now its EWAR spam all the time, time to nerf that.

If ewars were half as effective as everyone here is making them out to be, then intrusions would consist of only ewar bots.

That's the bottom line.

/thread

I put my Waspish away weeks ago for pvp I'm in a Troiar til they make changes. E-wars are better than anything else out there. You can't be caught, you choose your fights, when you do fight your still effective. One guy in an ewar specced for ECM can shut down one or two opponents, regardless of what they are driving.
Mechs are expensive, slow and easily beat by two e-wars if they have sensor supressors and ECMs.
Doing an intrusion event? No problem, just stick a medium plate in an ewar and your hard to kill.
Running slower than 90 kph is death with all these ewar running around.
Assault bots run at 60-70, but they can't do anything to a target running 100 away from them. Tackle bots will get killed before assaults can catch up. There is just too large a speed difference.
Light Ewars need a 10% speed nerf across the board. They should be the fastest thing out there, but they have too big of an advantage right now.
Mechs need to have their sensor strength looked at. Light Ewars shouldn't be able to keep two mechs jammed continuously.
I won't get into all the defensive bonuses for being small. Put an evasion module and a shield on a ewar and it's just as hard to kill as a heavy mech.
The net result is light ewars are the strongest thing on the board right now and for the forseeable future.
One more thing, the troiar is the worst of the bunch, so pelistal users are the worst right now. They are the slowest and have the worst bot bonuses of the ewar. Small drainers/neuts need to be looked at, they are almost useless right now. I'd rather run with 1 ECM than 3 neutralizers.

...NEXUS modules obsolete as bots need to be close together to use these effects.

hmm, you dont have to be THAT close. the first two nexus extension are for radius increase.
get both at 5 - and the nexus-effect has a 250m radius.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

17 (edited by Bastian Croft 2011-01-06 16:31:36)

Lege wrote:

Doing an intrusion event? No problem, just stick a medium plate in an ewar and your hard to kill.

I'd like to see you try this next intrusion.  I will have my lols on standby.

Lege wrote:

Light Ewars need a 10% speed nerf across the board. They should be the fastest thing out there, but they have too big of an advantage right now.

You need to understand that a lot of us that run ewars have Nav 10 AND we use tier 4 frames.  Yeah, it's a lot of speed, but we paid for that speed and it's all we have to be honest.  We don't have damage bonuses, we basically NEED to travel in packs to be able to kill anything larger than a light.

18 (edited by Kaito Kurusaki 2011-01-06 16:41:06)

I think the other assualts need a range bonus similar to the waspish. They should have the anti-bot role in a group.

But I don't necessarily agree on nerfing EW bots. They are mainly used for their speed. There is just no other way to gank targets when they are all centered in a 3km radius from a safespot.

Mechs costs about 4x the price of a EW bot. And I'm quite sure a competent mech driver could solo (or atleast escape) four enemy EW bots? Might get hairy if there is 3 or more charmelons perhaps? Someone have some experience in this field?

Now if there is a gang of 20 EW bots, sure you will loose. But those 20 could have been in arkhes (or lairds) and still kill you.

Could 5 mechs solo 20 ew bots though hmm? Or should they even be able too?

19 (edited by Annihilator 2011-01-06 16:49:57)

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:

Mechs costs about 4x the price of a EW bot. And I'm quite sure a competent mech driver could solo (or atleast escape) four enemy EW bots? Might get hairy if there is 3 or more charmelons perhaps? Someone have some experience in this field?

nope. the four ew bots will field at least two sensor supressors, 2x demob and eventually 2 ecms, and 8 small weapons -> the mech pilot will be pinned down, unable to lock something and slowly die.

a skilled Tyrannos with 2x sensor amp, 1x t4 eccm and no lwf could eventually stand a chance.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You are talking about 4 light ew  vs 1 mech because it's the same cost -but- 4 light ew take 4 pilots.. The question is: if you have 4 pilots would you rather sit in 4 light ew, 4 mech or the combination of the two. Cost is not everything, pilot numbers more limited.

21 (edited by Kaito Kurusaki 2011-01-06 17:20:36)

Annihilator wrote:
Kaito Kurusaki wrote:

nope. the four ew bots will field at least two sensor supressors, 2x demob and eventually 2 ecms, and 8 small weapons -> the mech pilot will be pinned down, unable to lock something and slowly die.

a skilled Tyrannos with 2x sensor amp, 1x t4 eccm and no lwf could eventually stand a chance.

Well more players should win over a single player with the same cost invested. But let's look at this further.

Unless something changed. Maximum debuffs from supressors is 2. You can't be debuffed further. A double amplified mech should still be able to lock at 300m after debuffs.

ECM is the tricky part. Especially combined with the locking speed reduction from the suppressors. If you are up igainst 2 intakts/2charmelon your goal is killing one of the charms. If you can do that the rest should be easy (on paper).

ECM has short range. If a mech starts locking outside 300m (before he get slowed from the supressors) he may be able to snipe a bot before they get in ECM range.

There is just too many factors that have not been investigated properly.

How long you guys playing this game?
Do you want to use Mechs/HMechs effectively, when you only have 100K EPs chars, top?

No one at this point can use a Ewar Mech effectively. If you're the one trying, you sir are a IDIOT. I will need at least 1-2 weeks more to be able to start using an Ictus, but I do know that I still need lots and lots of trainings to use it as it's supposed to be used.

By now, you see so many ewar because:

- If you don't use an ewar, you'll not catch anyone, while roaming. When you get close enough to start firing in a assault/mech/etc. all your enemies will be docked and laughing at you. Do you want to PvP or just waste hours roaming for nothing? Or PvP is just about getting AFKs???

- They can be fast. While solo PvPing, or in a small squad, you'll need the speed to dodge enemies, and flee if you can't win the fight. Also, as they have no DPS at all, you'll need to use ECM/Suppressors/Neuts so you can win, or at least survive.

As soon as ppl start spending more EPs in Mechanics/Complex Mechanics, armour repair skills, any1 can tank a ewar bot with no problem... The same is true for DPS, after all the ewar can only fit 2 weapons, and have no bonnus for using them... If you get more DPS skills, you'll ofc double your changes of wining against a ewar.

And c'mon guys... You want to use a Mech? All the mech I saw till now have LOL Fittings. And I doubt they have the skills needed. I'll not tell you what skills you need, but in less than a month you can have a Mech that can kill all the ewars you want...

Bastian Croft wrote:

If ewars were half as effective as everyone here is making them out to be, then intrusions would consist of only ewar bots.

That's the bottom line.

/thread

Draftbeer wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:

Well more players should win over a single player with the same cost invested. But let's look at this further.

Unless something changed. Maximum debuffs from supressors is 2. You can't be debuffed further. A double amplified mech should still be able to lock at 300m after debuffs.

ECM is the tricky part. Especially combined with the locking speed reduction from the suppressors. If you are up igainst 2 intakts/2charmelon your goal is killing one of the charms. If you can do that the rest should be easy (on paper).

ECM has short range. If a mech starts locking outside 300m (before he get slowed from the supressors) he may be able to snipe a bot before they get in ECM range.

There is just too many factors that have not been investigated properly.

Are you playing the same game as we?

Draftbeer wrote:
Bastian Croft wrote:

That's the bottom line.

/thread

Draftbeer wrote:
Alexander wrote:

So?  My point still stands.