Re: Gamma turrets

DEV Zoom wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Ville has a point though, if it's true that turrets behave like ' the old terraformed walls' (as zoome says turrets role is to hit other players) then why remove them in the first place.

I don't know where that comparison comes from, but there is big difference between impenetrable walls that you can't do anything against, and turrets that, while they hit hard, you can take down with enough firepower.

If that's the case then, Ville might need to take out the crayons big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ville: sorry but I still don't get what you want. As far as I can see the only suggestion you had so far is that you wish to use other bots or weapons too to shoot turrets without them being able to return fire.

Zoom, I want a siege module that has standard stats across the board that all heavies can use.  A siege module that is useless in pvp but standard in gamma warfare.  I've been playing with a lot of sub 1 Million EP players sometimes it's not an option to fit a zenith or a vagabond because their only account is a combat account.  And they built up to use a heavy, just to sit the sidelines.  I don't want everyone assimilated into the same role.  I want people who show up the shoot things be able to shoot things.  Even if their range is just shy of the turrets and they have to take a little oncoming fire.

I'm not here trying to push an agenda, I just want people to experience the game play.  Which will lead me to a part 2 on the whole gamma thing, to entice people to come out and use it.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

A siege module that is only useful against stationary targets is certainly on the table, but when or how are things that I can't tell yet.

DEV Zoom wrote:

A siege module that is only useful against stationary targets is certainly on the table, but when or how are things that I can't tell yet.

Like I suggested previously, you could use the autocannons, they are practically not used.  Add high hit dispersion, jack up their weight and given them comparable range.

Zoom, I share you opinion on turrets that are boosted.  Players shouldn't be able to shoot hi tech turrets that have at least 1 hi tech sensor booster on.  But stationary turrets with nothing on them players should be able to out range them.  Because if not you can stick 3 repairs on a turret and just sit behind 4 energy batteries and laugh.

And Standard turrets with 2 standard sensor boosts on them should be at range with whatever the siege modules at.

i wonder what doctoring around on the turrets would fix anything about whats wrong with gamma?

turrets even got a pointless and counterproductive reinforce mode.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

56 (edited by Burial 2015-07-09 20:09:55)

Reinforcement on turrets is great. Would be pretty lousy getting turrets ganked all the time. Right now it's all about the proper siege 3 days after ringing the doorbell, like it should.

Burial wrote:

Reinforcement on turrets is great. Would be pretty lousy getting turrets ganked all the time. Right now it's all about the proper siege 3 days after ringing the doorbell, like it should.

Yeah this is true.

thats what you think it does.

now think a bit more, and maybe you will find the error.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

What's the problem exactly?

come on TS and i explain it to you,
or find me in E:D

So why can't you discuss on the forums?

I cannot begin to tell you how terrible a siege mod will be....

You will take everything that was changed in Eve and move it here.

Then wonder why everything has to be changed AGAIN two years down the road.

This is NOT a original idea, or even a half *** good one.  Its a bandaid fix for a problem that does not exist to a system that is pointless.

I am Perpetuum.

Ville wrote:

... I just want DEV's to experience the game play. ...

Fixed.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ville: sorry but I still don't get what you want. As far as I can see the only suggestion you had so far is that you wish to use other bots or weapons too to shoot turrets without them being able to return fire.

He's trying to say that in order to attempt tanking X number of turrets, a heavy has to be fit correctly. However, you cannot fit enough range extenders and any sort of a tank (even with maxxed extensions) to allow you enough maneuvering room so that you can walk into range, take a few hits, and back out.

Without range extenders, most robots would be evaporated by turrets as they attempted to close to their native 300-500 ranges (since boosted turrets open fire at 1km+).

The culprit being that a number of modules (not only range extenders!) don't have an appropriate extension in-game that reduces their CPU/Reactor cost. For example, the range extender has nothing that reduces the reactor fitting cost.

Either a new extension (like Economical engineering) or adding unaffected modules to existing extensions would probably solve most of the problems, at the very least it would bring us one step closer to a balanced Gamma experience.

^ this.  Currently nothing in game can tank boosted turrets and shoot the same distance.