Topic: Gamma turrets

A locked turret doesn't show up on your overview.  It Only shows up if your bot is in range, so what happens is your being shot by N/A and you can't see what is shooting you.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Gamma turrets

Why is that a bug? I rather think it's realistic.

So a turret can lock you and shoot you but you can't see it?  That's not realistic its completely opposite of game play and makes dealing with more than 1 turret not only difficult but overly complicated because theres nothing like just standing there and magically watching your Accu drop, or your HP drop.  There is no animations and you have to guess which turrets are shooting at you.

Though I think it doesn't work like that when a player shoots you, I'm not sure why turrets are an exception.

if any player locks any player, regardless of masking they show up on their overview.

It's very frustrating on an attackers side because the incoming combat log says : {N/A}: damage 350..

Which reminds me:  Zoom how are players supposed to attack sensor boasted turrets?  Considering EM turrets are locking and shooting at 1000 M, and the base range optimal for the Longest bot in the game is 1050 w/ 120 falloff?

The only robot in the game that can attack a base is a Seth. Grophos and Mesmer are under turret fire without boast and if someone cuts on a (1) boaster the turrets can completely outrange and out dps every bot in the game,

Ville wrote:

It's very frustrating on an attackers side because the incoming combat log says : {N/A}: damage 350..

Which reminds me:  Zoom how are players supposed to attack sensor boasted turrets?  Considering EM turrets are locking and shooting at 1000 M, and the base range optimal for the Longest bot in the game is 1050 w/ 120 falloff?

The only robot in the game that can attack a base is a Seth. Grophos and Mesmer are under turret fire without boast and if someone cuts on a (1) boaster the turrets can completely outrange and out dps every bot in the game,

Because this whole game is slanted towards yellow bots

Ville: what would be the point in having turrets if you can shoot them from afar with anything you want, while they can't shoot back?

9 (edited by Burial 2015-07-07 18:33:52)

Ville wrote:

Positioning. Support.

So Zoom, is this a bug?  I dont' think it's correct for a turret to target you while not showing up on ur landmarks.  Anyword on when this will be fixed?

Rovoc wrote:

So Zoom, is this a bug?  I dont' think it's correct for a turret to target you while not showing up on ur landmarks.  Anyword on when this will be fixed?

It will be fixed in the next patch.

Note that as a consequence this will be also true vice versa. Meaning an NPC/turret that can't see you will instantly see you if you lock it.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ville: what would be the point in having turrets if you can shoot them from afar with anything you want, while they can't shoot back?

Because your alienating 2/3rds of your population?

I get what your saying but is it best practice to say 2/3rds of the server is not allowed to fight a gamma station?  Is that what you want?

And when the buildings flag and the opposition cuts on the boasters how do fight something that:

1.  Greater range.
2.  Better DPS.

The scale in gamma warfare is 80% defender 20% attacker in favor of the defender.  I can take 5 guys and hold back 25 guys.

I'm going to suggest this. If you like the current factional setup.  Why don't repurpose medium autocannons?  Get them on par with 1000M optimal and 150 fall off

I'd suggest seige cannons which are insanely heavy have 1500 m range huge hit dispersions to make them ineffective in pvp. But that'd take months.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Note that as a consequence this will be also true vice versa. Meaning an NPC/turret that can't see you will instantly see you if you lock it.

wasn't that true anyway?

@ Ville: proof? you are telling the oppositte of what we experience ingame.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Right now you have to be within 650 M to see a turret even if it has you lo ked and shooting you in the face.

Once you lock it though you can back up to your lock range.  Before the mission patch it used to be you'd see a turret lock you before it fired on you.

not proof for the bug (that i cannot remember that i experienced it three month ago), but proof for your "yellow is the only way"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

18 (edited by Burial 2015-07-07 21:01:40)

Right now it's either:
1) resist boosted = outrange / ew down and try to break through reps.
2) sensor boosted = find a good position and melt it.

What's the point of sensor boosted turrets if people can still outrange them?

Burial wrote:

Right now it's either:

QFT

Also both resist boosted and sensor boosted turrets do *** dps. You can get in a sensor boosted turrets dps range with a modest force and rr and shoot back with even blue bots.

sensor and resist boosted can be tanked, RoF boosted can be outranged.
both together can be disabled because connection limit is used for all kinds of connections.

Tonnik wrote:
Burial wrote:

Right now it's either:

QFT

Also both resist boosted and sensor boosted turrets do *** dps. You can get in a sensor boosted turrets dps range with a modest force and rr and shoot back with even blue bots.

Have you assaulted a base designed to secure something?  Not a LOL base with 4 turrets.  Or a base that has an unterraformable hill like oh... 300 M away you can hide your whole fleet behind and pick off turrets one by one?

Burial wrote:
Ville wrote:

Positioning. Support.

Thanks for adding zero to the thread.

I am Perpetuum.

Ville wrote:
Tonnik wrote:
Burial wrote:

Right now it's either:

QFT

Have you assaulted a base designed to secure something?  Not a LOL base with 4 turrets.  Or a base that has an unterraformable hill like oh... 300 M away you can hide your whole fleet behind and pick off turrets one by one?

Have you?

I dont think so.

I am Perpetuum.

Perpetuum wrote:
Ville wrote:
Tonnik wrote:

QFT

Have you?

I dont think so.

I did.  Krazlov.

If I recall, was not defended by persons.

I remember that was a big deal and all.

Please continue.

I am Perpetuum.