Re: LAGS!

The lag isn't caused by the trees themselves, it's caused by the extreme lack of bandwidth for those having this issue. About 30-40 kilobytes/sec would be needed for you to get all the updates of the game world. As long as you don't move, or move around in an area that you've been recently to and don't need an environment update, it's fine because the movement of other robots doesn't take much data and those having reduced bandwidth can live with it. But updating the terrain takes the most bandwidth, so when you encounter new plants, or battle around trees that get hit, or plant noralgis and you get lag, it's because your client doesn't receive the environment data fast enough.

202 (edited by Blocker 2015-01-09 15:51:33)

DEV Zoom wrote:

The lag isn't caused by the trees themselves, it's caused by the extreme lack of bandwidth for those having this issue. About 30-40 kilobytes/sec would be needed for you to get all the updates of the game world. As long as you don't move, or move around in an area that you've been recently to and don't need an environment update, it's fine because the movement of other robots doesn't take much data and those having reduced bandwidth can live with it. But updating the terrain takes the most bandwidth, so when you encounter new plants, or battle around trees that get hit, or plant noralgis and you get lag, it's because your client doesn't receive the environment data fast enough.

So what you're saying is our internet in AU and NZ is not sufficiently fast enough to play Perpetuum ?

PS: I have 24Mbs ADSL 2

Blocker wrote:

So what you're saying is our internet in AU and NZ is not sufficiently fast enough to play Perpetuum ?

Of course it's enough. But something between the affected people and the server throttles back the bandwidth to dialup speeds.

204 (edited by Blocker 2015-01-09 16:21:15)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Blocker wrote:

Of course it's enough. But something between the affected people and the server throttles back the bandwidth to dialup speeds.

Ok well the end result is the same for us in AU and NZ. We have no control over the routers along the way, never used to be like this and been playing for 4 years. Have no problem playing other MMO's,  including shooters.

I guess I will have to rethink what we do, kinda rules out pvp for us and considering the amount of pve content, sorta gives us no real reason to play.

PS: To give away, Abbu outpost, would be appreciated if we got the weekend to move out.

205 (edited by Chemist 2015-01-09 16:10:00)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Zoom, just upgrade your dial-up modem. big_smile

DEV Zoom wrote:
Blocker wrote:

I understand your frustrated Zoom, but what do you want us to do?  Not pvp?  Not participate in territorial warfare?  Not grow noralgis?  Not play the game?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I can only ask for patience until this is sorted out.

DEV Zoom wrote:

What's annoying is we used to have fairly lag free 60 vs 60. Two years on you could do maybe 20 vs 20. Now it gets sticky in a 6 vs 6.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Zoom, You have the ability to transfer server (copy) to another data center? As an experiment. I think there is some discount or a free period...

Made Up lie.

There is no lag.  Just made to piss Zoom of chasing Ghosts.

I am Perpetuum.

Change your data center. Forum impossible to read - a page is opened half a minute. Listen to us and make a right. fuuu

212 (edited by Blocker 2015-01-10 00:15:14)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Fair enough. At my age patience is something I have plenty of, so I will be patient. However, I very much doubt we will be placing assets on the line until it's sorted. We may do some light roams but there will be no defence of anything and we do not expect our friends to risk any more assets on our behalf either.

So we will be pretty much confined to alpha until you get it sorted.

213 (edited by Race Drones 2015-01-10 10:58:54)

Jita wrote:

What's annoying is we used to have fairly lag free 60 vs 60. Two years on you could do maybe 20 vs 20. Now it gets sticky in a 6 vs 6.

Agreed. The good old days.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

A 9 page thread on lag is unheard of before on Perp, things just keeps getting worse, when I thought it already hit rock bottom.

RIP PERPETUUM

I can't even connect to the data center atm.

Can't connect to data server atm.

Sh¡t growing.

Target Name: relay.perpetuum-online.com
         IP: 72.26.219.246
  Date/Time: 12/01/2015 11:12:58 to 12/01/2015 11:17:27

Hop Sent Err   PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
8   107   0   0,0  62 118  75  xe-5-2-0.was12.ip4.tinet.net [213.200.84.121]
9   105   7   6,7 160 209 173  xe-1-2-4.ams12.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.180.141]
10   107 107 100,0   0   0   0   [-]
11    85  72  84,7 138 191 157  border1.tge8-1-bbnet2.ams004.pnap.net [95.172.78.66]
12    85  72  84,7 138 191 157  border1.tge8-1-bbnet2.ams004.pnap.net [95.172.78.66]
13    70  51  72,9 138 234 161  0.te3-1.tsr1.ams2.nl.voxel.net [173.231.161.117]
14     0   0   0,0   0   0   0   []
15     0   0   0,0   0   0   0   []
16     0   0   0,0   0   0   0   []
17     0   0   0,0   0   0   0   []
18     0   0   0,0   0   0   0   []
19    96  49  51,0 136 181 151  relay.perpetuum-online.com [72.26.219.246]

All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

same here, can't connect

At approximately 9:22pm CET we expereinced Cogent peer flap on our core2.ams004 router (upstream router to Agile Hosting AMS2 facility). We have shut down the BGP peering with Cogent at this time and are investigating the issue. During this event traffic destined over Cogent network would have seen packet loss as traffic was shifted away from Cogent on to other upstream providers. We will provide further updates and more information becomes available.

Engineers are aware of the situation and are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

...whatever that means.

220 (edited by Race Drones 2015-01-12 18:08:08)

Cogent is very very worse than Voxel or Telia. Don't expect nothing good from these three sh¡t companys.

All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

Zoom, can you lift the "have to login every 3 days to get EP" until this is over.  This has been going on well over a month for most players.  And if I can't login to get EP.  Because I can't connect to the data center.  I think it's a goodwill jester.  Please.

One of the first rules in the software business is "Don't outsource your core business".  I was going to post a lecture on why but then I read this:

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2014/06/don … iness.html

I lol'd

Kayin Prime wrote:

One of the first rules in the software business is "Don't outsource your core business".  I was going to post a lecture on why but then I read this:

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2014/06/don … iness.html

I lol'd

dig a bit in the forums, and you will find the very same guy "raging" about the current server location, doing the same thing about the budapest servers in the past.

Regarding that, nothing has really changed, except the Issues now seem to be even more random then before, and not beeing caused by faulty server HDD's, RAM's or "kifli"-incidents.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Confirming that the situation has only gotten worse for me. It takes me 10+ tries to even log in with my second client. Once both clients are logged in I get errors trying to undock.  I agree with Ville in lifting the 3 day log in requirement temporarily.

DEV Zoom wrote:

At approximately 9:22pm CET we expereinced Cogent peer flap on our core2.ams004 router (upstream router to Agile Hosting AMS2 facility). We have shut down the BGP peering with Cogent at this time and are investigating the issue. During this event traffic destined over Cogent network would have seen packet loss as traffic was shifted away from Cogent on to other upstream providers. We will provide further updates and more information becomes available.

Engineers are aware of the situation and are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

...whatever that means.

It means you are paying good money to get worse service then when you hosted the server in your garage. wink  If this hosting service can not fix an issue in less then a month (we are over that time), maybe its time to seek other subs who have better technical abilites and/or better cusomter service.

I know as I sit at my computer watching lag say N/A or staring at "connecting to dataserver", other games start to look like a better investment of my time.