Re: instant logg out

Yeah that is the way it was.

I agree obviously when someone runs all three of his chars on one account that its out of the box exploiting.

but, the solution isnt to allow players to escape death by instant logging

DEV Zoom wrote:

Btw this is the report that made us fix the bug (removed names):

Hey. Currently game mechanics allow when a player insta-logs, his bot remains on terrrain for 2 minutes. If another player or NPC locks the player within this time, the bot will remain on terrain, indefinitely, until the player either relogs in or is destroyed. During this period, the modules that were running at the point of insta-log will remain running, even thought the character is offline, targets remain locked. This all correct? because this is what occurs for me, consistently.  With these mechanics in mind, I will have [character1] log off with a mining Scarab running 2 small miners on a liquid mining site. I will then lock him with [character2] before he disappears from terrrain. [character1] will remain on terrain, mining away, until he runs out of charges or becomes full. It takes roughly 29 hours to fill a Scarab full of epi.  At this time he can be shot by anyone, or any wandering NPCs .. so I take it this works as intended?  What makes this advantageous is that on Gamma I can wall him off and he will stay undisturbed by enemies or NPCs ... are you ok with this? I personally do not feel this is an exploited, as the excat same activity and circumstances occur if I simply leave him logged in and mine all night while I sleep.

Where this allows for exploits is I think that theoretically Icould have 2 characters on the same email account and actually have both on terrain. I have not tried this but I feel that is an exploit, as it is currently not possible to log both in when one is online. another possible exploit would be to set up several trial accounts and simply spam mining sequers repeatedly on locations to mine all the liquid. Again I have not tried this but it's possible. Please give me some feedback if I am crossing a line. I will be doing this with 2 characters, *** and ***, Mining Epi and HDT over the next few days. They are separate and paid subscriptions.

It's not all that simple.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Burial wrote:

We should do something against logoff traps too. Don't you think those are broken too? It's like what you are talking here only reversed. You keep your forces off the field and then log them in at convenient times.

Dude, you are such a whiner

Sparking to other games

78 (edited by TerraBit 2013-12-18 02:20:28)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Hey. Currently game mechanics allow when a player insta-logs, his bot remains on terrrain for 2 minutes. If another player or NPC locks the player within this time, the bot will remain on terrain, indefinitely, until the player either relogs in or is destroyed. During this period, the modules that were running at the point of insta-log will remain running, even thought the character is offline, targets remain locked. This all correct? because this is what occurs for me, consistently.  With these mechanics in mind, I will have [character1] log off with a mining Scarab running 2 small miners on a liquid mining site. I will then lock him with [character2] before he disappears from terrrain. [character1] will remain on terrain, mining away, until he runs out of charges or becomes full. It takes roughly 29 hours to fill a Scarab full of epi.  At this time he can be shot by anyone, or any wandering NPCs .. so I take it this works as intended? What makes this advantageous is that on Gamma I can wall him off and he will stay undisturbed by enemies or NPCs ... are you ok with this? I personally do not feel this is an exploited, as the excat same activity and circumstances occur if I simply leave him logged in and mine all night while I sleep.

Where this allows for exploits is I think that theoretically Icould have 2 characters on the same email account and actually have both on terrain. I have not tried this but I feel that is an exploit, as it is currently not possible to log both in when one is online. another possible exploit would be to set up several trial accounts and simply spam mining sequers repeatedly on locations to mine all the liquid. Again I have not tried this but it's possible. Please give me some feedback if I am crossing a line. I will be doing this with 2 characters, *** and ***, Mining Epi and HDT over the next few days. They are separate and paid subscriptions.

Does not NPCs ecm ?   if not wuldnt a fix off having mods locks and so on break insted? 
Ppl can still afk mine for 29h mining epitron whit a online account whit the same conditions....

This only shows morre how broke terraforming is in general.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Rage Blackout wrote:

The problem:

1. A target is aggressed and being shot or demobed.  That person instant logs to avoid death.

Solution:

1. Instant log has an absolute timer of 15 minutes no matter what.

No, there has to be another condition. This works for pvp, but not for pve.

When you're shooting npcs and you crash/disconnect/lose your internet/etc. and they kill you because the server did not remove you for 15 minutes then noone gains anything.

Can you distinguish Player lock from NPC lock?

Sparking to other games

80 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-18 02:25:32)

basically, this breaks roaming PvP  // hunting pvp  //

A fleet of Riv Mk2 could mine in beta forever and not die because their tanks would survive for 2 minutes unless another group did a login trap right on that mining spot.

ugh

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

81 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2013-12-18 02:24:08)

R.I.P Roaming PvP and hunting PvP
say hello to logoff tarps 2014

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

82 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-18 02:37:47)

When I am done with work, i am doing to write 25 examples of why this is broken now.

Stay tuned/

Still would like to state that turning off modules on instant log would be a step in the right direction.

That would solve the Burial instant log expolit logging with his super overpowered Castel Mk2 that takes 12 guys to kill.

I am sorry that I dont know what the solution is for the poor guy that gets DCed while NPCing, but it isnt my responsibility to think of stuff like that.  I just dont know that one.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Hey. Currently game mechanics allow when a player insta-logs, his bot remains on terrrain for 2 minutes. If another player or NPC locks the player within this time, the bot will remain on terrain, indefinitely, until the player either relogs in or is destroyed. During this period, the modules that were running at the point of insta-log will remain running, even thought the character is offline, targets remain locked. This all correct? because this is what occurs for me, consistently.  With these mechanics in mind, I will have [character1] log off with a mining Scarab running 2 small miners on a liquid mining site. I will then lock him with [character2] before he disappears from terrrain. [character1] will remain on terrain, mining away, until he runs out of charges or becomes full. It takes roughly 29 hours to fill a Scarab full of epi.  At this time he can be shot by anyone, or any wandering NPCs .. so I take it this works as intended?  What makes this advantageous is that on Gamma I can wall him off and he will stay undisturbed by enemies or NPCs ... are you ok with this? I personally do not feel this is an exploited, as the excat same activity and circumstances occur if I simply leave him logged in and mine all night while I sleep.

Someone writes you that ticket and your response is to make bots disappear from terrain after 2 minutes regardless if someone locks it to keep it on terrain, instead of doing the logical thing and making modules turn off after insta-log and leaving the lock-it-keep-it-on-terrain mechanic as it functioned for years.

It's actually very simple. For competent people.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

DEV Zoom wrote:

I was aware of the slow mining Lithus since the first days I started playing the game. Adding Scarabs to the list is obvious and I thought it was common knowledge. The risk was always was NPC roams.

So is it an acceptable game mechanic to leave my client running and walk away from pc for the day? I think its abuse whther logged in or not. So you should make a change that affects mining AFK, not log of timers.

If you are worried that someone crashes, well I thought that was part of the risk as with any persistent world.

If you are worried that NPCs will keep someone logged in indefintely distinguish locking mechanics with NPC from those with players.

If you want to avoid logging in 2nd character on same account, simply add mechanic that forbids the second account to log in while the other is still on terrain. Even put up a little dialogue box "hey buddy, you're still stuck on the field with your other character."

Point is, please be more careful and use the scapel, not the sword.

You cannot leave the log off this way. It broken.

Sparking to other games

Rage Blackout wrote:

I am sorry that I dont know what the solution is for the poor guy that gets DCed while NPCing, but it isnt my responsibility to think of stuff like that.  I just dont know that one.

Norrdec wrote:

Someone writes you that ticket and your response is to make bots disappear from terrain after 2 minutes regardless if someone locks it to keep it on terrain, instead of doing the logical thing and making modules turn off after insta-log and leaving the lock-it-keep-it-on-terrain mechanic as it functioned for years.

Yup, conflicting interests, make it work devs! I'm not even complaining lol

+1

very simple and accurate summary of this whole problem

Norrdec wrote:

The solution:

If a player is being aggressed by another player with guns, ewar, demob. etc, that player can not vanish out of thin air.

If a player is PVEing / NPCing / he does vanish.  Other players are not involved

I can live with the locking unlocking being completely nerfed as not a valid way to keep people there.

Dev Zoom,   it is on the coders to differentiate between player agro and NPC agro.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Rage Blackout wrote:

Norrdec wrote:

Yup, conflicting interests, make it work devs! I'm not even complaining lol

I think you still don't understand: leaving a robot on the terrain that is not controlled by anyone for an indefinite amount of time can lead to unexpected issues. You can keep telling me that it's not how pvp works, but that's like saying "hey, keep that duping mechanic, we'll only use it once, promised".

DEV Zoom wrote:

I think you still don't understand: leaving a robot on the terrain that is not controlled by anyone for an indefinite amount of time can lead to unexpected issues. You can keep telling me that it's not how pvp works, but that's like saying "hey, keep that duping mechanic, we'll only use it once, promised".

Well, it worked this way for three years. The occurance of the type of abuse you are accounting for is so rare that I just do not see how you justify COMPLETELY CHANGING PVP, COMPLETELY CHANGING LOGISTICS, AND COMPLETELY CHANGING MINING IN DANGEROUS TERRITORY.

Give it 15 minutes at least.

Turning off mods will only affect some bot types.

Take a few days to consider. Meanwhile I'll be mining on beta in riv mk2 without a scout. Eventually, you'll get that you cause a problem 1000 times worse than you fixed.

Sparking to other games

Anyone else find it funny that peanut was abusing this mechanic weeks ago when they terraformed into bergers island, but they don't start a forum war until it gets used against them.  History appears to be repeating.... big_smile

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

Anyone else find it funny that peanut was abusing this mechanic weeks ago when they terraformed into bergers island, but they don't start a forum war until it gets used against them.  History appears to be repeating.... big_smile

Again, lets point fingers at corps and people and avoid the problem with a GAME MECHANIC that is available to all. I will use SpT to its max potential until its nerfed, a nerf that is needed

Everyone in this game will be logging off in combat when *** hits the fan ...everyone!!!

It needs to be fixed.

Sparking to other games

No wonder you guys get threads to 50 pages ... Rage simply repeats things for almost half the posts.

But you guys are right, it shouldn't work this way.
(quick Rex, misquote me, again)

But the bot should not stay indefinitely, it should not stay for just 2 minutes, either.
How long is it in EvE? 15 minutes? I think 5 minutes, the length of the PvP flag, should be long enough.

Leaving a client running and mining afk for 24 hrs is not an exploit. You pay for gametime its your right.

I read Page one.  I realized Zooms an Elite Troll *brofist*

This has already probably been said but I will say it again.

It's not an issue of having 2 minutes to kill something, its a matter of 10 seconds left on the target you demob it start DPS and suddenly your target disappears.

Which Means now we can infinitely mine on Beta in peace!  Put scouts up first sign of trouble instant log our miners (with shields on them) and by the time DPS shows up GG.  And by Shields I mean the injector.  smile

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

TBH I would be even fine with a module keeping the robot on the terrain, demob would be the straightforward choice. Just not locking, that's too easy and every robot can do that with zero effort or energy.

Cassius wrote:

How long is it in EvE? 15 minutes? I think 5 minutes, the length of the PvP flag, should be long enough.

EVE made it so your ship would stay as long as someone is aggressed on it. This was brought in to prevent Titans from doomsdaying and insta-logging, certain their ship tank would survive until the ship disappeared.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

96 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-18 04:40:25)

People logging off is not my problem.  They want to not die, they dont come to beta/gamma, but certainly not logging off is the way to not die.

Zoom its been the way it was for three years.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Totally agree.  The locking thing I can do without.

Demob makes sense.

\o/ 

we win!  (gamers)

DEV Zoom wrote:

TBH I would be even fine with a module keeping the robot on the terrain, demob would be the straightforward choice. Just not locking, that's too easy and every robot can do that with zero effort or energy.

98 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-18 04:41:06)

If you people had something constructive to say once in a while, there would be 100 pages.

but, you just say, "make it this way" because that is how STC/Nebs pants-on-headers want it so they can cheat their way through everything.  Easymode engaged.  Hey look I have 100 billion nic from expoliting missions for a year.   yay we win

You lose the fight on Xiantor because you have an actual opponent and HUN couldnt design a proper base if their stuff depended on it.

but they are not your friends right?

derp

Cassius wrote:

No wonder you guys get threads to 50 pages ... Rage simply repeats things for almost half the posts.

But you guys are right, it shouldn't work this way.
(quick Rex, misquote me, again)

But the bot should not stay indefinitely, it should not stay for just 2 minutes, either.

Leaving a client running and mining afk for 24 hrs is not an exploit. You pay for gametime its your right.

I'm fine with that too. smile

\o/