Re: Spark Teleports

Shadowmine wrote:

No, I made a case that no cooldown is needed period. Bot or otherwise. Forcing people to wait to play this game is a bad idea. Especially since you cant see what items you have in a gamma terminal until you spark there.

You make an argument that a timer can be implemented on bot selection. But as you don't play, you have no argument as to why it is needed other than the personal agenda of your whining allies. Making major game changes completely based on the uninformed vocal minority is also a bad idea.

I could go back and isolate each section and explain how it makes the argument, but it's not needed.

The proposed solution doesn't stop you from sparking to gamma to see what you have there.

I've already explained why this is an issue that needs fixing, regardless of if I am playing or not, who would benefit, and supplied a reasonable alternative.

152 (edited by Burial 2013-08-08 17:48:07)

Gunner wrote:

At points in the games future, which I can see clearly, there will be tactical decisions that have to be made to defend Beta thingy at this time or this Gamma thingy or this other thing.  You will have to make tactical decisions.

You guys just cant see the future of things here because you are used to such low activity.

In the future of the game, lets say with 25 player factions (gasp).  You may have to make a choice of just using forces in one area, not in 20 island with 10 guys.   Now, people are operating with 10  guys managing 20 island.

The only way to do that is to be everywhere anytime, with no restrictions.

There has to be a restriction to movement.   My force of 1000 players bouncing stations every 5 seconds four months from now, will be a testament of how crazy the whole concept is.

That's a cool story bro, but I feel it's something that has to happen naturally and will happen once more sides start to participate

If in the future you have 25 different player factions all chasing their own agenda, anyone with too many objectives to defend will have them bombarded constantly one way or the other. You will consistently have to choose whats more important to you and what can go.

Second point is that cooldown would only minorly and very remotely works for betas as you are imagining. You have to realise that if we get a cooldown like this, people will start to suicide to Alpha2 terminals and work from there. If people can defend it by numbers, they will always find a way to do it. A cooldown will not hold people down.

As for gamma sieges, they take way more time(we are talking about 4-6h ops every few days for a week or two) so the cooldown really has no use other than giving the attackers few extra hours of freedom before enemies can spark in again. Usually the time anyone realises their gamma is under attack, if executed properly, is way longer than that.

So in the end, whats the point?

This problem will be magnified soon and only a few people can see that far ahead.

Ill use walls 1.0 as an example of assumption vs. reality.

We, always seem to have to show everyone why its broken.  I am not a beta tester.

Ouch, I'm going to have to call Arga the bus driver.  Cause he just took Shadows *** to school.

On a brighter note.  This thread has made progress.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Gunner wrote:

This problem will be magnified soon and only a few people can see that far ahead.

Ill use walls 1.0 as an example of assumption vs. reality.

We, always seem to have to show everyone why its broken.  I am not a beta tester.

Walls 1.0 the death of the US Player population.  sad

156 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-08-08 19:21:16)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Arga: that actually sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure whether we can distinguish that the lack of an active robot is due to a spark jump, or death. And if it's the latter, is it bad or not if you receive a cooldown there as well.

Yes it is a very bad design decision, when you stop people from playing your game for an arbitrary reason, a game which may I add, they have payed to play, it is a bad design decision. 

The problem that no one but STC acknowledges is that, right now 1 side is dominating.  There is no opposition force, in the game right now, that can compete with us.  The only reason we hold almost all the OP's is cause no one is trying to take them.  If any of the major corps came back we would not hold all of the Beta OP's. You are making a decision based on a incredibly low player population.  I keep saying this but and no one listens.  When CIR/Chaos/PHM were at full strength this spark thing was never even mentioned (Neither was the missions being broken, because they were happily running missions).  It was apparently not a problem when there were 2 sides fighting.  But now that you remove one side it becomes a problem.  This doesn't mean the system is broken, it means the population is not large enough for the mechanics to work correctly.

Just because you leave and everyone else stays, doesn't mean there is something wrong with the game or the mechanics.  You can't punish people for playing the game when you didn't.  If it's just as simple as adding a cool down timer to sparks, why don't we wait and see if all they people screaming "The end is neigh" are actually correct or just butthurt?  Why don't we wait and see what happens when more people are playing and how the spark system affects a large population?  Anyone saying they "know" what will happen is full of ***, they don't know,  they think they know.

Martha Stuart wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Arga: that actually sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure whether we can distinguish that the lack of an active robot is due to a spark jump, or death. And if it's the latter, is it bad or not if you receive a cooldown there as well.

Yes it is a very bad design decision, when you stop people from playing your game for an arbitrary reason, a game which may I add, they have payed to play, it is a bad design decision.

It is also bad game design not to change something that is broken simply because the population is too low to make it an issue.

As I mentioned before, I wasn't even playing when sparks were introduced, so for me at least this isn't about STC is using this so lets screw them over.

If you're implying that adding a timer to sparks is going to make you stop playing, you know that devs can't be held hostage like that. Maybe the fact that I'm not actually playing gives me a more unbiased view, which I've always maintained regardless of my corp tag.

But I'm not beyond being swayed. I just have not seen anything posted in this thread that actually convinces me that being able to redeploy troops with 0 to 5 minutes delay is not over-powered and a terrible game mechanic in a PVP game.

If you have an actual counter-arguement about how instant (0-5min) troop movement is not bad for the game than that's a valid response, because that is exactly what the current game mechanic allows.

Martha: Please understand this is not about STC or any other corp in particular, what is happening here is a power project problem where any corp with enough players can deploy in an instance, then decide to mobilize forces for another target in an instance, maybe you are not using full advantage of this broken mechanic, that does not matter, but someone else will and it will be so powerful, only the corp with most numbers will win, where you are located at that moment will no matter anymore.

Again no one has yet taken full advantage of instant teleportation.

RIP PERPETUUM

159 (edited by Burial 2013-08-08 20:06:47)

Arga wrote:

If you have an actual counter-arguement about how instant (0-5min) troop movement is not bad for the game than that's a valid response, because that is exactly what the current game mechanic allows.

How is that a bad thing in this game with mechanics surrounding us?

It has worked very well with bigger population, knowing that it is hard-capped by 10 stations and the amount of resources you have in that terminal. You can already dock futher and further bots on your opponents without doing any spark teleportation. Further on, there are only 3 terminals in the game that are affected by it. Everything else, you can lock off - as you mentioned yourself, you are not talking about the current situation of our side holding all the terminals, right? If you really think that one side can hold all of the beta outposts in a healthy, multi-sided game, then you are wrong.

I'm only talking about the beta islands right now because during gamma sieges, 1h cooldown would be more or less meaningless because of the time it takes to conquer those islands is too many times bigger for it to count.

Arga wrote:

If you're implying that adding a timer to sparks is going to make you stop playing, you know that devs can't be held hostage like that. Maybe the fact that I'm not actually playing gives me a more unbiased view, which I've always maintained regardless of my corp tag.

No. He is talking about the other 95% times you use spark teleportation and get stuck with cooldown on some remote part of the world, needing to wait out the timer. I understand you might not even remotely think about those situations because you don't actually play.

It seems like you are just trying to make your opinion win without covering all the bases, even worse is that you are baseing it all on word of mouth, never actually playing it yourself.

Arga wrote:

No one in there right mind should be debating that being able to instantly teleport to defend your vulnerable gamma assets should be changed.

The only time this mechanic can be abused in a way that is detrimental to the game is in regards to beta island play. However if we drill down in to the issue it is not the fact that players are able to instantly appear and deploy. It is that a force can instantly navigate to active islands and once there consistently redeploy drastically greater assets between multiple terminals on the same island.

You have to resolve this by not gimping the mechanic but simply putting up restrictions on the abusive manner it can be used.

If for example I engage your plated HM at Heydel and disengage to go to ICS-B just to have you already there in-front of me, to turn and try to move to a external gate to then have you teleport ahead of me.

You can see how this goes from being a simple feature to get you to the fight to completely controlling it.

I don't necessarily know what a proper fix would be however I do stand behind the need that regardless of the situation, being able to instantly travel to vulnerable player structures is a must.

@Martha Again the key to balancing a mechanic like this is to not prevent people from utilizing it but to not allow a minority of motivated players access to abuse it to ruin the experience for the majority.

Example: Learning how to manipulate gate timers to kill players that are in black loading screens or how to 1 shot them due to client lag through syndicate protection when gate hoping.

Identifying and reporting these things make for a better overall game, the problem is always how to best resolve them.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Burial wrote:
Arga wrote:

No. He is talking about the other 95% times you use spark teleportation and get stuck with cooldown on some remote part of the world, needing to wait out the timer. I understand you might not even remotely think about those situations because you don't actually play.

It seems like you are just trying to make your opinion win without covering all the bases, even worse is that you are baseing it all on word of mouth, never actually playing it yourself.

No Arga is discussing the concept behind spark teleportation and the proper way to fix it and not bain-aid it. He makes no claim to know all sides of the discussion but rather expresses his views on it very strongly and well thought out.

Again this has nothing to do with 99% of the way sparks are currently used or implemented but rather with how it can and WILL be abused in specific situations in t he future.

We are attempting to determine a solution, there will alwayws be people who throw out extremes and vastly off base ideas and solutions. Discussion is how you best present your case to discredit their ideal. This generally involves things much beyond "they dont play anymore", "they are only doing this because our tag" ext ext.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Burial wrote:

Acutally, the solution that Zoom is looking at doesn't effect the other 95%, you only start the timer if you select a bot. If your running missions, then your are going to be undocking and driving to another station; here the issue is how long the timer is, not if it's needed. If you are just picking up a mission, then sparking to another closer outpost to actually do the mission, no timer is triggered. At the other end, some time will transpire to complete the mission, so again its the length of the timer.

Up to this point, I haven't actually said how I would use the current spark setup, but I think everyone is missing the elephant when they say it only effects beta.

Unless I'm missing something, you can spark between your gamma bases no?

I doubt we would waste our sparks on beta, we would .... um, no I better not, as I do still intend to return if the pop increases, but I doubt it will if this remains.

Lemon's examples is exactly how a good FC would use fast travel to turn defense into offense.

And as you can see, my opinion is not always the same as CIR smile

The problem here is simply that fast travel like this would allow a large corp to easily rule a lot of space. Even if our new members only had (2) sparks available, we wouldn't have ALL of them set to the same (2) spots. Everyone would likely have the gamma base, and then groups of 15-20 would be set to each of our other bases. And with multiple accounts per vetern PVP player, that's a lot of territory that can be covered.

164 (edited by Burial 2013-08-08 21:07:08)

All I'm trying to say is why fix something thats not broken. Spark teleportation has been around for enough time with decent population for someone to open the mouth. Nothing. Now, all of the sudden Ville starts a thread and the system is so broken that even waiting for population increase to see how it all affects the game is too much.. No! Needs to be fixed now!

What's even more interesting is that those people not even playing the game are all for the change while those who actually play and at the right level to provide good, valid, responses say it's a bad idea.

165 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-08-08 21:10:44)

Arga wrote:

Stuff

No where did I say that I would quit because of this change, i'm actually curious how you even pulled that out of what I said.  I'll be here tell the shut the servers down.

Here is the crutch, there is a PVP flag.  If as in lemons case I engage, I'm flagged.  There is your 5 mins.  You can't spark anywhere when flagged.  If you don't engage why should you be penalized?

1 other thing, the power projection argument is completely without merit.  You know how you stop someone from projecting power?  you bring a fleet and stop them from projecting power, not changing game mechanics.

Has anyone thought of a more simple solution?  How bout we just reduce the number of sparks?

Also, when did we decide this mechanic is broken?  Just because some say its broken, doesn't mean its broken.

Lemon wrote:

@Martha Again the key to balancing a mechanic like this is to not prevent people from utilizing it but to not allow a minority of motivated players access to abuse it to ruin the experience for the majority.

We are the majority.  This argument defends my position.

Burial wrote:

All I'm trying to say is why fix something thats not broken. Spark teleportation has been around for enough time with decent population for someone to open the mouth. Nothing. Now, all of the sudden Ville starts a thread and the system is so broken that even waiting for population increase to see how it all affects the game is too much.. No! Needs to be fixed now!

What's even more interesting is that those people not even playing the game are all for the change while those who actually play and at the right level to provide good, valid, responses say it's a bad idea.

I must've mentioned before this thread turned into a corporation dialogue three posts after the OP. Or two.

Burial wrote:

All I can say for me, is I didn't know this was the way Sparks worked until this thread was opened up. Even if nobody is using sparks to rule the world, they can be used that way, and someone will use them that way.

It doesn't have to be fixed now. But it is broken. And it needs to be fixed before steam launch; only because, as is the case here, once people get used to using it the impact of changing it will be worse.

The only thing I'm trying to correct is the combat aspect. I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to remotely view and manage inventory, accept assignments, ect. ect. The solution of not triggering a timer unless you select a bot _shouldn't_ effect any thing other than being able to redeploy troops. If it does effect PVE, then its not the right solution.

You can use sparks to move around. That's it. To rule the world you need a lot more than sparks.

169 (edited by Arga 2013-08-08 21:31:13)

Martha Stuart wrote:

No where did I say that I would quit because of this change, i'm actually curious how you even pulled that out of what I said.  I'll be here tell the shut the servers down.

"Yes it is a very bad design decision, when you stop people from playing your game for an arbitrary reason"  - This is saying that people will quit if you make a change, implying that changing by adding a timer will make people quit, maybe not you personally, but you've implied that Perp will lose players if they make this change. If you meant something else, then you worded this poorly.

Here is the crutch, there is a PVP flag.  If as in lemons case I engage, I'm flagged.  There is your 5 mins.  You can't spark anywhere when flagged.  If you don't engage why should you be penalized?

1 other thing, the power projection argument is completely without merit.  You know how you stop someone from projecting power?  you bring a fleet and stop them from projecting power, not changing game mechanics.

Has anyone thought of a more simple solution?  How bout we just reduce the number of sparks?

Also, when did we decide this mechanic is broken?  Just because some say its broken, doesn't mean its broken.

I didn't just say "it's broken", I called out specifically how I felt it was this mechanic was poorly implemented and why it needed to be fixed.

Lemon wrote:

We are the majority.  This argument defends my position.

Just because the majority thinks something is OK, doesn't mean that it is. I'm looking at you slavery.

You still have not presented an argument FOR having instant travel, other than majority rule, it's always been like this, and I like it this way.

Burial wrote:

You can use sparks to move around. That's it. To rule the world you need a lot more than sparks.

Needing more than the spark doesn't diminish the role the spark plays though.

Gunner, you are correct that with spark Teleport 20 people are able to control 10 outposts

So change the spark system because of that? Lol no. As you yourself point out, player population in the future will change the control. Your posts are bringing up far more basic issues with the game, and really they all point to the #1 issue. Population. All decent points. None of the decay in the game has its root causes in SpT, though. The population was shrinking long before it and Gamma were introduced.

Do you guys really think we at STC don't understand the factors that have lead to the current power structure within the game?

Lots of us love the game Gunner, not just you. On serious gameplay rules and balance, I never post politics I post with what I think will allow the game to grow.

Arga, I'm quoting EvE's system because other (not you) suggest it as an example (clone jump timers) why there should be a longer cooldown. EvE has the same issues, just on a larger scale.

Cassius wrote:

None of the decay in the game has its root causes in SpT, though. The population was shrinking long before it and Gamma were introduced.

true dat

173 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-08-08 23:26:35)

Arga wrote:

You still have not presented an argument FOR having instant travel, other than majority rule, it's always been like this, and I like it this way.

Burden of proof is on the state my friend.  The system works perfectly fine now.  The proof must come from you that the system is broken.  To put it in your terms, no one has put forth proof that the system is indeed broken and requires changing. 

Its known as Hitchen's razor:  An assertion without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

I have yet to see anyone post any proof that the system is broken.  Yes missions are broken, but they are a system that is available to all, same with sparks, so its not like any one corp is gaining an advantage from that.  I don't think that because missions are broken we should make the game more tedious. Especially when mission can be fixed by changing missions, not the spark system.  Which is exactly what the Devs are doing now.

I'd like to take this time to suggest a 1 hr cooldown on spark teleports.

Martha Stuart wrote:
Arga wrote:

Burden of proof is on the state my friend.  The system works perfectly fine now, The proof must come from you that the system is broken.  To put it in your terms, no one has put forth proof that the system is indeed broken and requires changing. 

Its known as Hitchen's razor:  An assertion without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

I have yet to see anyone post any proof that the system is broken.  Yes missions are broken, but they are a system that is available to all, same with sparks, so its not like any one corp is gaining an advantage from that.  I don't think that because missions are broken we should make the game more tedious. Especially when mission can be fixed by changing missions, not the spark system.  Which is exactly what the Devs are doing now.

Hitchen's razor is only valid when the assertation is something inherintely improvable, like God exists.

In this case, it's more like 1 doctor says removing the brain will kill the patient.
Not true, by Hitchen's razor, the burden of proof is on you sir.
So the doctor removes the brain and the patient dies.
Guess you were right.

Since your saying that it works now, so it's not broken, the only way to prove it is, is by acutally doing what I want to avoid, and killing the game.