Re: Distress beacons.

Confucius says "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Re-implement damage to containers as a way to soft cap farm-able beacons at a time.

Tweak the mission to more accurately reflect the nic/per hour you deem "fit"

Cap # of wreckage that renders locally.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Merkle wrote:

Also another thing, if your going to nerf this so hard, please reimburse all the TF charges that are wasted on the Bacon bits, this could number in the billions of nic as some of us got a bit carried away with really fancy pants boxes.

Hey devs I would like to exploit any feature you add and then be reimbursed when you rebalance it. tia.

54 (edited by Syndic 2013-03-05 00:42:56)

You are repeating your time-honored mistake; arbitrarily changing game rules on us with little to no notice. Last time you gave us 3 days with your 1k/2k teleport shenanigans, now a lot of people (including me) that are stuck with 1k+ beacons from the last few days, are gonna spend a very sleepless night.

Thats the problem when you want to appear as all-knowing Devs, without having a clue about how your game works in reality.

Anyway enough typing, I got beacons to pop through the night on a workday.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I don't think the patch will be out this week, still have some bugs to fix.

Syndic wrote:

You are repeating your time-honored mistake; arbitrarily changing game rules on us with little to no notice. Last time you gave us 3 days with your 1k/2k teleport shenanigans, now a lot of people (including me) that are stuck with 1k+ beacons from the last few days, are gonna spend a very sleepless night.

Thats the problem when you want to appear as all-knowing Devs, without having a clue about how your game works in reality.

Anyway enough typing, I got beacons to pop through the night on a workday.

I do get your objection, but it's not really a surprise, its not the first time, and secondly, what other option is there? You can't just let broken mechanics stay forever.

57 (edited by Merkle 2013-03-05 01:28:40)

Ouch...Daz lighten up there bud.  A little less *** *** a little more fun!

fuuu

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Ok so tired to read the forums with stupid childish qq about everything.    Because somebody cannot do something oh this an exploit... ya the cargo thing and w/e mission thing was, but the beacon AoE dmg?   u know where the risk is ???? IN BRINGING THEM INSIDE THE GAMMA W/O GETTING JUMP/GANK/OBV ON YOUR BUTT.    but hey there is no risk right.  Another thing is the aoe we use it as strategy in pve and pvp  now its just gonna be changed cuz 5 ppl crying about it .... seriously.... about the income whats next nerf mining ?  nerf plasma drops ?  whats next

59 (edited by Burial 2013-03-05 10:12:32)

I agree with Jasmoba that the danger related to beaconing is actually aquiring the beacons and tokens. For effective beacon farming you need a certain beta island with certain outpost access. That means that you would want to keep the island secure and as safe as possible without getting interrupted. Add to that need to haul both tokens and beacons and you have quite a bit of danger.

The way I saw it was that the new assignment system was going to fix the issue anyway. If the new assignments aren't grindable then there wont be as many tokens and beacons laying around. If you think the issue is with beacons, nerf them(and maybe they should if new assignments are not done in a balanced way).

If you compare token and beacon farming net incomes, you quickly see what exactly is broken.

Actually, you need a gamma to use AoE advantage in full scale - mobs movement should be limited in range of blast wave etc. That means you need to spend some NIC on tf-ing a box, then you need some kind of defence etc etc - it's not just "go 'n' farm 'em". Betas - it's not that easy to find the place that suits well for same purpose and you need defence and/or station ownership.

Even with that, you can't farm more than 4-5 beacons at the same time because some of them will simply disappear cuz no matter how much combats you wil bring, it's hard to organise the proces in a way everyone shoots at least one NPC from different beacons.

BUT you can fix that in other way - change missions system. Atm you're able to get tons of tokens pretty easy - that means you can get tons of beacons which is the main problem Hurry up Assignments 2.0 development, and as a hotfix - remove some of the grindable missions. Win-win.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

DEV Zoom wrote:

General Skystrider: because the game revolves around income over time coupled with risk. If you have a high-income no-time low-risk method of doing something, then there is something wrong. No BS.

+1

If your explosion damage is still relevant fir rat against rat people will just change their beacon pits.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Line wrote:

Betas - it's not that easy to find the place that suits

It is if you use walls ...

The "result" isn't really an issue, beacon & mission farming should have been fixed a long long time ago.

The "means" is a big issue, 1 guy got on skype and batphoned devs to change the game.

It doesn't matter if the result is good so it makes it alright, tomorrow that 1 guy can just as easily change something else in the same way for the worse. When Styx was telling Devs what to do, they could very well cultivate an "all knowing Dev" image; nowadays not so much. Same old habits, same old problems, same self-entitled *** that are above the rest of us when it comes to their feedback.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

65 (edited by Dazamin 2013-03-05 12:21:35)

66 (edited by All Knowing Eye 2013-03-05 12:57:53)

Its broken when the limit isnt how many beacons u can do, but the lag when u try to loot makes the looting impossible.

Still it dosent work every time,and most of the times only 80-90% of the waves gets destroyed so there is some risk involved, and sometimes it dosent work at all and u only get 10% of the beacons done.

It needs to be fixed.

67 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-03-05 12:56:58)

pls dont forget one thing in this discussion:

the income from poping beacons on gamma with explotion dmg is good, but its not as imense as some might imply here.

first you have to get the beacons. you can either do artefakting, that is a very long process, you can do missions for tokens, that is a ver long process, or you can buy the tokens on the market, where somebody else had to work long to get them.
and even if you buy them then you have to substract your investments before doing your time calculations.

yes chaining beacons yields a few 100m nic a hour. but to do that its a lot pre work (either by you or someone else) or a preinvestment.

the final poping of the beacons is not the only time involved and you have to take the "getting the beacons" also into your equation. it snot ony poping then in 3 mins. you have to take a look at the whole picture.

now a question to the devs: if you make beacons unintrsting for gamma again. this might remove the only usefull pve that can be done on gamma besides observer killing once every 8 hours or so.

its surely not worth running after that few roaming npcs.

if you want to fix that then maybe think of reducing the explotion dmg and even more important, maybe you want to improve the npc ai and the ai that spawns the bots.
for example that they will not spawn in a closed envioment, and that they will not delog you in most cases when they can not reach you (because of a well build "beacon pit").
... ... ...

gamma is not providing a lot of "fun" aspects atm anyway. nearly no pve content.
yea nice for industrials when you have a "secure" island (not that its realy possible) but combat wise any beta and alpha island has more to offer. beacons was one factor that was worth it. id that is gone it will make gamma even more boring.

68 (edited by Mouse Slayer 2013-03-05 13:14:06)

ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce the most out of touch person in the game

welcome him and comfort him for he knows no better

nothing you wrote here is accurate -

this is a testament to how broken some of the things are/were and how it has been kept a secret for so long

sorry to burst your bubble, but you missed out on the gold rush

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

pls dont forget one thing in this discussion:

the income from poping beacons on gamma with explotion dmg is good, but its not as imense as some might imply here.

first you have to get the beacons. you can either do artefakting, that is a very long process, you can do missions for tokens, that is a ver long process, or you can buy the tokens on the market, where somebody else had to work long to get them.
and even if you buy them then you have to substract your investments before doing your time calculations.

yes chaining beacons yields a few 100m nic a hour. but to do that its a lot pre work (either by you or someone else) or a preinvestment.

the final poping of the beacons is not the only time involved and you have to take the "getting the beacons" also into your equation. it snot ony poping then in 3 mins. you have to take a look at the whole picture.

now a question to the devs: if you make beacons unintrsting for gamma again. this might remove the only usefull pve that can be done on gamma besides observer killing once every 8 hours or so.

its surely not worth running after that few roaming npcs.

if you want to fix that then maybe think of reducing the explotion dmg and even more important, maybe you want to improve the npc ai and the ai that spawns the bots.
for example that they will not spawn in a closed envioment, and that they will not delog you in most cases when they can not reach you (because of a well build "beacon pit").
... ... ...

gamma is not providing a lot of "fun" aspects atm anyway. nearly no pve content.
yea nice for industrials when you have a "secure" island (not that its realy possible) but combat wise any beta and alpha island has more to offer. beacons was one factor that was worth it. id that is gone it will make gamma even more boring.

bla bla..

feature not used as intended -> fix incomming 1,5 years later.

it shows how fast you become attached to flaws in game elements

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

70 (edited by Lemon 2013-03-05 15:11:39)

Annihilator wrote:

bla bla..

feature not used as intended -> fix incomming 1,5 years later.

it shows how fast you become attached to flaws in game elements

Dude you've turned in to that kid who runs to the teach trying to kiss her *** by saying everything everyone does wrong.

Ok lets remember someone had to risk it to get tokens, its not there fault the pop is to low or to scared to roam. Instead of bandaiding the issue how about we tweak values to bring things more in-line like the $ reward from missions the token amounts and the cost to buy a beacon with token's.

Its not the beacons that are the issue, its the missions+ Tokens +beacons=RICH MOFO Gotta start at the roots.....

EDIT: i mean you want traffic and play... there are people running missions in chains on beta to be killed, Haulers to gamma for beacon's. Market flow from tokens changing hands and quite high prices for new players blindly selling. Lets look at what the nerf bat is swinging at. *It does need to be tweaked but TWEAKED*

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Syndic wrote:

The "result" isn't really an issue, beacon & mission farming should have been fixed a long long time ago.

The "means" is a big issue, 1 guy got on skype and batphoned devs to change the game.

It doesn't matter if the result is good so it makes it alright, tomorrow that 1 guy can just as easily change something else in the same way for the worse. When Styx was telling Devs what to do, they could very well cultivate an "all knowing Dev" image; nowadays not so much. Same old habits, same old problems, same self-entitled *** that are above the rest of us when it comes to their feedback.

You know I could have simply moderated this for baseless accusations, just like the ones you report about yourself. I'm telling you this now so you know why the next one will be moderated.

The truth is, it was enough to simply read this topic to see that a change was necessary. When the number of wrecks already means a problem, you know there is something wrong.

72 (edited by Lemon 2013-03-05 15:15:55)

DEV Zoom wrote:

The truth is, it was enough to simply read this topic to see that a change was necessary. When the number of wrecks already means a problem, you know there is something wrong.

This is a joke... CIR used to farm level 3 Mech beacons on Beta by the 7's without this level of lag. During this time we had upwards of 20+ of our own bots on the field. Now i am farming 7 with 7 and lagging to the point other zoned islands begin to lag.

Wrecks used to not be a problem.........

Undefeated 2013

73 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-03-05 16:04:14)

From here on out can we call this Beacongate?  It sounds more official that way.

@ DEV zoom:  I hope you guys were looking to stress test your servers, cause over the next couple of days they are going to be pushed to their max.  With one little statement, every player in the game just went:  "Oh ****"  and will be doing beacons from here on out until the Nerfbat drops.  Also, I don't know where you got your "~50" beacons number but that is quite literally IMPOSSIBLE to do.  If someone was consistently running 50 beacons at a time, your servers would catch fire.  The MAX we have been able to pull off is 10, And that is REALLY REALLY pushing it.

74 (edited by Hunter 2013-03-05 15:52:06)

Man, you can moderate anything. Even empty forum. smile

DEV Zoom wrote:
Syndic wrote:

You know I could have simply moderated this for baseless accusations, just like the ones you report about yourself. I'm telling you this now so you know why the next one will be moderated.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Lemon wrote:

how about we tweak values to bring things more in-line like the $ reward from missions the token amounts and the cost to buy a beacon with token's.

Its not the beacons that are the issue, its the missions

This.

Assignment reward to risk/effort is massively out of whack - has been for as long as I can remember.

"Drive bot 400m drop geo-scanner charge = 400K + 26 tokens"
versus
"Drive combat or two several 1000m, kill 12-18 5th tier mechs and heavies = 300K + 18 tokens".