That should mix things up a bit.

Re: Titan ore.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

Alpha - Titan, Liquizit, HDT
Beta - Stermonit, Imentium, Silgium, Epriton
Gamma - Titan, Liquizit, HDT, Colixum
Plants - Everywhere.

That should mix things up a bit.

You guys must love hauling stuff around don't you. We already tried this once. BIG NO.

Celebro's body guard

DEV Zoom wrote:

The mineral system has always been infinite. Islands never ran out of any mineral type in the fixed system either, you just had to walk further because fields were always depleted in the centre (around terminals).

I'm not saying that this is good, and you're completely right with the "generating conflict with scarcity" arguments. I'm just saying that this is not new, so don't draw false conclusions based on this.

Let me get this straight, Before the gamma expansion I could deplete a mineral field. Did it re- spawn somewhere else? No.

Remember the ore regeneration nerf? Good old Norhoop days with AXE, CHAOS, JOKE, RG and company there was barely any Epitron left on that island. Can this happen today with more players? No. Sure it could fragment and end up on NPC spawns, but still no need, now we have gamma for mining.

So with enough miners, before the ore field changes mining could surpass regeneration, still infinite if you wait ofc, but we needed it for wars on a daily basis.

Celebro's body guard

Simmy wrote:

You guys must love hauling stuff around don't you.

Reduce ore volumes by a factor of 5. That one is almost as old the game.

The old system (static fields that regenerated over time) was much better then the new one (instant respawn).

I don't care how you wrap it up in devlingo from a coder's perspective, from a gamer's perspective above stated is fact and god honest truth.

Celebro actually knows what he's talking about because he was actually playing the game at the time.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Simmy wrote:

Let me get this straight, Before the gamma expansion I could deplete a mineral field. Did it re- spawn somewhere else? No.

Yep, that was the theory. In practice there hasn't been any moment where there was a shortage of titan ore, simply because we never had enough players to strip islands bare, even though it was possible. Epriton is of course a different story, it had much smaller fields and amounts.

107 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-04-24 00:22:21)

It seems to me, that the best thing for the game would be to just remove Epri from gamma, and make it a Beta only material.  This would make betas critically important for production. If Epri is only on Beta, it would force miners to mine Epri where they could be attacked.  This simple change would cause:

1) Epri prices up to where they should be. 

2) Encourage PVP, because miners are now vulnerable again, and must be defended or risk being killed.

3) Force more thought into logistics, because now not only do you have to mine the Epri on Beta, but now you have to get it off of Beta, to either Alpha or Gamma

4) Make Betas vital to a corp and thus worth defending or attacking.

This simple change would make roams viable again, because now you HAVE to defend your miners and Beta OP.  if you dont, your Epri supply gets cut off.  and the Roamers get to kill your miners.

And if you wanted to be really cruel, make Noralgis a beta only plant.  This would stop miners from planting 50+ pot farms, with no risk of losing it.  This would also cause the Norg prices to go back to where they should be, because now you cant harvest 10+ million every day inside your Fortress of Solitude A.K.A The Taj Mastuart.

This would also have the added benefit of making T2 and T3 gear more viable because T4 gear is more expensive and harder to get/produce.

Some of the Best memories i have of this game, are from the early days of STC when we had to Ninja mine Epri off of Hostile Betas, that *** was terrifying.

If there will be no Epri on Gammas then why to have Gamm base at all? Being able to make Scarabs mk2 doesn't worth efforts in terraforming and constructing bases.

One of the solutions can be, IMO, adding 2 more Epri-like resources, and then make each of 3 faction-specific and put them on the faction-specific gammas and betas. Then make it in a way that you need them for mk2 versions of bots / turrets.

As a result, you will have to mine them all to keep your army mk2 and to have all the turrets in your defence.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about, Martha.

Line does have a point, though. What's the point of Gamma then? Eventually the T5 and T6 Colixum based modules - just not yet.

Is the T1/2, T3/4, T5/6 pairing system still in the pipeline does anybody know?

So basically the whole point of Gamma was to mine Epri?  The corps spent 10s of billions of Nic, and months of game time to be able to mine Epri in safety?  I disagree, you can run beacons, arty hunt, mine all the other common resources, gain a major production boost to non-speced indy toons, better calibration labs, refineries, recycling plants, etc etc.  Gammas aren't done yet, and when the new mods/bots get added there will be additional benefits.  I agree that Mining Epri in relative safety is one of the major benefits to Gamma, but its not the whole reason for them.  I see our gamma base more as an investment in the future. 

My whole point was that when gamma came out, it made Beta's completely obsolete besides missions.  Currently the only reason to have one is for bragging rights, so you can stand there a wave your corps flag.  Beta was where all of the fights occurred before, and should again.  They just need to be made important again.  How that is accomplished I don't really care, it just needs to happen.

Martha Stuart wrote:

So basically the whole point of Gamma was to mine Epri?  The corps spent 10s of billions of Nic, and months of game time to be able to mine Epri in safety?  I disagree, you can run beacons, arty hunt, mine all the other common resources, gain a major production boost to non-speced indy toons, better calibration labs, refineries, recycling plants, etc etc.  Gammas aren't done yet, and when the new mods/bots get added there will be additional benefits.  I agree that Mining Epri in relative safety is one of the major benefits to Gamma, but its not the whole reason for them.  I see our gamma base more as an investment in the future. 

My whole point was that when gamma came out, it made Beta's completely obsolete besides missions.  Currently the only reason to have one is for bragging rights, so you can stand there a wave your corps flag.  Beta was where all of the fights occurred before, and should again.  They just need to be made important again.  How that is accomplished I don't really care, it just needs to happen.

I feel dirty, but +1

Beta ownership => tasty missions => lots of tokens => beacons and ammo => all the profits.

He who control the tokens, control the Universe. And will control even more with just few SynShop improvements.

Line wrote:

Beta ownership => tasty missions => lots of tokens => beacons and ammo => all the profits.

He who control the tokens, control the Universe. And will control even more with just few SynShop improvements.

Again, I have to disagree.  If that were true, more people would be fighting over them.  And the missions really arn't worth it once you have made enough money/research/PVP ammo.  They need to be worth something to the corp, not an individual.  The only thing that is worth getting from SAP loot any more is Cortexes and Officer beacons.

Look at perp-kill, most fights are currently around Hokk, Dom and Norhoop. Thing is, that by controlling beta stations you're not only have an access to tokens, but also block others from that access. SAP loot mostly doesn't worth effort comparing with beta missions.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Simmy wrote:

Yep, that was the theory. In practice there hasn't been any moment where there was a shortage of titan ore, simply because we never had enough players to strip islands bare, even though it was possible. Epriton is of course a different story, it had much smaller fields and amounts.

That's because you don't understand how your game was played by the players.

Titan ore (and to a degree, the other resources) were never actively mined by the Beta corporations/alliances on the Beta islands themselves to the degree which would result in oh-noes-island-is-stripped-bare!

The "lesser ores" like Titan and HDT, were almost exclusively procured by Alpha-mining during off-times, preferentially starting on Alpha islands closest to the "enemy" and working towards the Alpha islands closest to "home", as a consequence achieving two goals of a) denying close proximity resources to enemy b) creating supply-depots that can be tapped in the future if needed.

The only exception to the rule were those rare cases where non-epri resources were conveniently located near the home Beta base (EXAMPLE: Danarchov had a pretty big HDT deposit near one of its legs, usually took 3-4 days to regenerate for approximately 45-50M HDT).

Due to the involvement of Epriton in T1-T2-T3-T4 & Bot production back then (remember, you only removed epriton from T1 LATER!) it was only logical and normal that that resource would be the most sought-after, and its fields the first ones to be depleted, since Epriton was the main bottleneck (later on you introduced Noralgis because we were mass-producing past the Epriton bottleneck).

This is why you could find random deposits of Imentium red and untapped all around Novastrov and the other Beta's, not a single f*ck was given when there were hundreds of millions of refined commodities (back when a Lithus carried 1,2M-1,8M of raw ore, we decided to bite the bullet for less refining rates versus having to haul for 9-10 hours a day) flowing in daily from the safety of Alpha. This achieved two goals, a) it provided the lesser resources required b) it weeded out spies as all recruits were forced to meet crazy Alpha mining quotas for weeks on end.

At the time we were brainstorming day after day how to make production effective enough compete against M2S, so I'm sure the rest of the server had similar thought processes. I still cackle when I remember how many tens of billions we poured into crashing the market when we got access to their forums/corp-chat and heard how Styx was "producing off the market".

But I digress, my point is there were enough players to empty whole islands - there was just not enough to gain from doing so.

Most of the players left due to slow development/shrinking population, most of my guys unsubbed after that mass-petition you caved in to, the mass-petitioners eventually got bored without us around (as I told my guys, the surest and fastest way to kill the corps who were built around the idea of fighting us was to remove ourselves from the equation), and whatever was left from the mass-petitioners - the toggies? - we made an example of when Gamma came out.

Now the gamma problem - you cannot solve it without;

a) Severely redesigning(nerfing) terraforming.
b) Introducing a completely new class of bots designed to siege Gamma.
c) Introducing an island turret-cap.

In either case, you will have to take steps to make Gamma worth living on/having (there are no spawns to make money from on Gamma), as currently the only advantages (admittedly huge and overpowered) are perfect safety & infinite ores & beacon pits & noralgis terraces - all of which revolve around perfect safety, facilitated by the fact that terraforming allows for the creation of unbreachable fortresses.

If we had the capacity to deploy ~100-200 man/account fleets like before, it might be a different story. Unfortunately too many corps and players have been alienated by previous decisions/dev involvement with player corps/slow development, so unless you can finally get Steam sorted and miraculously retain 0,1% of Steam's population, you're just gonna have to knuckle down and stop designing your game around needing to have enough accounts/numbers to be viable, and make it accessible across the board.

CIR Complaint Form

as you said yourself syndic. gamma is not totaly save. and no we dont need siege bots atm. the reason why nobody attacks gamma is as you pointed out the lack of players, not the unbreachable defenses.

defenses in my opinion are still pretty week then the overpowerd terraforming also still applys to the attacker. and he only needs one hole in the wall to get inside.
that is acheavable with usefull army. and im sure it has not to be the size as the gigger fleets the server has seen in the past. it is doable with less, but will need dedication and might include some losses (Oh No!!!).

i agree that terraforming needs chages (we have been on that topic before multible times) but i dont agree with your other points.

yes the current reason for living on gamma is because you can do your stuff relative save. but it also was a lot investment and work to do so. and i think for most ppl this investment has still not totaly payed off yet. but it surly will if they can hold on to it longer.

i said this multible times before: yes we need some form of trade between the islands. the faciton split is not enough, then this is not a real problem. we need the expensive stuff on gamma/beta and some other stuff that is required on a larger scale. so the alpha population can sell the stuff to the beta/gamma and vise versa.
but we need the tools for it too happen. well i know its the good old story, but look at eve: we have high ores in 0.0 and low ores in highsec. i think there are plenty of low ores in 0.0 as well but the corps there mostly dont mine that. why? because they can (more or less) easy move their expensive goods to alpha, sell it there, and be back with the other stuff thy need. but thats only possible because they have freighters that can hold the capacity of more then a few days of work.

of cource all this is only possible with enough population, and basicly that is the problem. you can keep *** about the symptoms of it and demand fixes. but it will not cure the patient. the main problem is the low pop. if we get that fixed a lot other problems will disaprear as well. of cource not all and i can agree that we have more then one problem on gamma that needs some love.
so wat you want? getting the problem fixed with the population first or the problems for gamma fixed first? my answer is easy. fix pve fix some other stuff to get the ppl in the game and more important: let ppl stay in game. if that base is given then the beta/gamma probelms should be next on the list.

for now enjoy yourself, (or do not) and see what the future holds. i think we all hope that the population is getting better with the comming changes and the steam release then i fear this might be the last chance.

You have a good point with freighters Zortag.

Yes, Gamma requires a significant investment however I disagree it necessitates a longer period of time to recoup. It's directly influenced by the factor of how many people/accounts contributed to the investment, and how many people/accounts are exploiting the island to recoup the investment.

It's an immaterial point anyway, as in my mind the concept of Gamma is ass-backwards (omage to Hunter!). You gotta be rich to go make it so you can slowly get more rich, how are new corps gonna get their fingers in there? Sure it's a different situation currently because nobody besides 20-30 guys are playing the game, but my point still stands. If all the islands were occupied, it would be impossible for a new corporation to come into the game and set Gamma as one of their goals. They could simply not achieve it, even if they had 500 people and were trying to take a Gamma defended by 3 guys.

I'm not proposing any "complicated" features because I realize (and I think we all realize) that 3 hungryans can only code so fast. Any solutions to terraforming, Gamma, and the game itself in general have to be effective yet simple enough that the aforementioned 3-4 codemonkeys can deliver it in a reasonable time-frame (3-6 months).

Thats not even taking into account they've already got their hands full with their current projects.

On the subject of trade, no trade or market can exist while infinite instant respawn ore fields are in-game. Sure we can trade the odd T4 module or some random tidbits, but if everyone can get everything they want/need provided they put the effort to turn the macro on and empty the field can from time to time, we don't have any subject to discuss as it's a pointless waste of time.

CIR Complaint Form

118 (edited by Line 2013-04-25 17:21:34)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 500 newbies shouldn't be able to to takeover any Gamma. Attackers should require special bots / fits to perform an assault and that's prolly not Syn-Tec Arkhes. Such pilots, on other hand, aren't newbies because they will spend about 1 year to sit on those bots / fits.

While achieving that, they need to do something - like fighting for Betas for example.

119 (edited by Simmy 2013-04-25 18:40:49)

Sydnic: Some of the game issues you mention are valid, but 90% of the problems is just low population. Look at Eve, how many half completed projects they are trying to fix now for 2 years. Still patching it up from utter incompetence from the past, specially the 'Incarna expansion'.

I'm sure 500 players covering all time zones can easily take any gamma, it's just a matter of when they are ready. New players should not be able to take gamma anyways, as Line mentions.

Just need to wait for CCP to f*** up again. I am watching closely what they are planning, like a possible complete change to mining (which has never been tried before). We just need 1% of their population which could jump start the game again. Who knows what can happen these days.

No one expected the Eve exodus, and I bet this game got noticed by CCP as a threatening competitor for a while.. Wondering now who did the DDOS...

Celebro's body guard

I doubt 500 players could take a well thought out hi tech base.

Syndic wrote:

It's an immaterial point anyway, as in my mind the concept of 0.0 is ass-backwards.. You gotta be rich to go make it so you can slowly get more rich, how are new corps gonna get their fingers in there? . If all the systems were occupied, it would be impossible for a new corporation to come into the game and set 0.0 as one of their goals. They could simply not achieve it, even if they had 500 people and were trying to take 0.0 defended by 3 guys.

Fixed: replace 'gamma' with '0.0' and it still makes sense lol

Celebro's body guard

122 (edited by Simmy 2013-04-25 19:50:03)

Vroom wrote:

I doubt 500 players could take a well thought out hi tech base.

If they are smart enough covering all times zones I think they can. Log off traps, spies. Look for weaknesses and they will find it.

Anyways this is all speculation, still feel it shouldn't be that hard and it's somewhat overpowered together with the interference mechanic which needs a buff, to favour attackers.

Celebro's body guard

I wouldn't go so far to imply CCP DDOSed perps servers, they can at any point simply sue them into the ground if they really thought Perp was serious competition, or if they feel like it, or if the Icelandic Overlord gets up on the wrong side of the bed.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

I wouldn't go so far to imply CCP DDOSed perps servers, they can at any point simply sue them into the ground if they really thought Perp was serious competition, or if they feel like it, or if the Icelandic Overlord gets up on the wrong side of the bed.

They cannot sue Perpetuum it's a lost case for sure. Perp is not even a space mmo. How many WOW clones did Blizzard sue?

Celebro's body guard

Syndic just threw 500 out there as a number, but think about previous attacks and what happened there.

First off, gamma has AOE explosion damage. This immeditatly limits the number of robots that you SHOULD put into any single area. Just to spell this out, Turrets and concentrated fire by a few defenders can easily overwhelm any single target. Once that target explodes, it may take out the rest of the group, even if it doesn't it will overwhelm any remote repair and the next 2 kills will create a chain.

this is assuming the defender has created a choke point, which is what I'm sure what Ville was referring to as 'well thought out'.

That's not to say that it could never be done, simply that throwing large numbers in an all out assualt through the front door would fail.

Last but not least is the whole problem of holding a broken outpost, at this point those 500 players would be needed - again to spell it out, the defensability of the outpost was just broken by the attacker; which they now have to defend from the previous owner by sheer numbers until all 100,000 robots stored in the invulnerable mode terminal have been destroyed.