Re: Titan ore.

reading <=> comprehension
two different skills...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

How bout a deployable beacon that AOE mines? lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

That would be the next step yes, and it's possible to do. Whether it would be good for the game is another question smile

Hunter wrote:

2Arga: Isn't this a game? We came here to play or work? You said: but it will always be boring - so the game will be always with low online. More than everytime there will be toons of sh*t in chats after each kill instead of friendly conversations.

2Zoom: So do you think that itroducing the little thing should increase the ppl interest to the game? Will we play harder after implementing the field geoscanners?..

@hunter: Even if the mining mechanic was fun and interesting, doing it 40 hours a week is going to feel like a job. I had the same issue in WOW, I loved raiding, but 4hours 5 days a week and it felt like a job, and mining will never be as interesting as WOW boss fights. What needs to change is the same thing, more population will mean the mining jobs get distributed, then it will only be the masochists that run 5 rivs for 4 hours a day, instead of PVP guys who get bored after 30 mins.

@Zoom: Drop'm and forget'm is a bad idea, but as long as they have to be externally controlled, then it's just a matter of balancing their effciency with the mounted lasers. A head slot item could the the controller, skill increases the number of beacons you can deploy, and the effciency is still based on the agent. What you'll get then, is miners deploying AOE beacons from an Artemis, with the capability of defending themselves against roaming NPCs, but getting a significantly lower yeild without the bot bonuses.

Have beacons of varying internal cargo capacity. 5u, 10u, 20u = 50, 100, 200u capacity.

Beacons can only be, and are consumed when, emptyed at a station, but can be picked up by any squad memeber, and only consume the base u cargo space.

Beacons stop mining when controlling robot is out of range, they time-off the field just like a container.

Player buildable.

How about:

• An AOE mining beacon which mines ore while you go do something else.

• Only deployable on Beta and Gamma

• Has its own "cargo hold"

• Restricted number per island per corp - rather like probes

• Can be raided at anytime by ANY player - rather like noralgis but a bit more "smash and grab"

• Can be destroyed

Actual properties like number of beacons, cargo size, lifespan, mining rate, masking etc are all a question of what we think balances well.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

How about:

• An AOE mining beacon which mines ore while you go do something else.

• Only deployable on Beta and Gamma

• Has its own "cargo hold"

• Restricted number per island per corp - rather like probes

• Can be raided at anytime by ANY player - rather like noralgis but a bit more "smash and grab"

• Can be destroyed

Actual properties like number of beacons, cargo size, lifespan, mining rate, masking etc are all a question of what we think balances well.

mining tower... any1?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

57 (edited by Celebro 2013-02-12 21:02:35)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Syndic wrote:

That would be the next step yes, and it's possible to do. Whether it would be good for the game is another question smile

It's no good, it will just replace miners and their bots. The problem with all mmo's is as Arga rightfully says is everything given time becomes repetative and boring specially grinding stuff. Mining is no different, other than just making it much more passive therefore bearable, giving you the freedom to stop and go Afk for short periods.

Edit: if mining beacons are on the maybe list, it needs to mine materials that don't compete with miners. These materials could be used to build items that are presently seeded on the market, like deployables etc.

RIP PERPETUUM

58 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-13 01:12:37)

Miners are a boring, outdated concept that nobody ever found fun or enjoyed.

Why keep pushing it?

Just throw it out of the window already and replace it with either deployable auto-mining towers or w/e, make the cargo requiring relatively frequent emptying and you're gg.

It's not like anyone in their sane mind is gonna be mining on Beta now, when they could be mining behind 400-500 towers on Gamma.

What does this lead to? Bots, scripts, macros

What does that lead to? Accounts that either need to be banned (money lost) or toilet-paper EULA.

Good luck making a simple script/macro that looks for fields, deploys mining towers, drives out to empty them, drive back to the terminal and deposit the cargo then redo.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic, there are no bots.

thats just coordinated teamplay!

Annihilator wrote:

mining tower... any1?

^^ this. TBH thats what i expected the thing to do when i first seen it on the test server smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Tower sounds good. What will be the mechanic?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Tower sounds good. What will be the mechanic?

Tower ... beacon - amounts to the same thing really. I refer you to the answer I gave some moments ago.

If it was to be implemented then its mechanic must drive conflict. I think my suggestions do just that,

We go from a beacon that would update a field for us to mine....to auto mining.

Just make the spawn in our hanger.

Far easier.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

64 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-13 10:59:16)

Seems to be a trend that bannable stuff becomes legit, might as well make the famous Styx production-skillz legit too. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Miners are a boring, outdated concept that nobody ever found fun or enjoyed.

Stop there, you are wrong many players like it, and same mechanic in Eve for 10 years, just because you don't like it does not mean it should be scraped. Scripting stuff can be used for most grindy stuff, that's not good enough reason.

No one is forced to mine you can buy or trade on market, but as there is such a low market activity, it seems mining is the problem. The real problem is low population.

RIP PERPETUUM

running in circles this topic, back the the universal answer that helped this game so much

"the real problem is the low population"

with that said,
stop playing with hands growing from ***! and close this topic since the ultimate answer was already given.

67 (edited by Celebro 2013-02-13 16:21:02)

Annihilator wrote:

stop playing with hands growing from ***! and close this topic since the ultimate answer was already given.

'Ultimate answer' applies to those who don't like mining or think we can do away with it or change it to something like moon mining in Eve, which is about to change soon with more traditional mining.

Every time mining has been changed or nerfed in this game we have lost players.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro and I are miners from way back... *bro fist*

I had this arguement a couple years ago with whats-his-name about the difference between semi/AFK mining and automated mining.

Automatic mining will simply kill the mining profession, and cause miners to leave the game. The exact opposite of trying to get more players into the game. Automated mining only helps PVP players that are being required to do something they don't want to do simply because there are not enough players mining to supply the resources they (the PVP players) need to continue to blow stuff up.

If the devs want to change the flavor of this game to something more like planet side, where you log in, shoot stuff, then log out, then don't bother with automated mining, just remove the whole player built side of the game. Mining is just part of the manufacturing chain, and it NEEDS to be a time sink in order to make it a neccesary and valuable part of the cycle.

Could automated mining towers have a place in the game. Yes, if it was limited to a specific resource (like Moon goo), that could only be gathered with the towers. But then it wouldn't be relevant at all to the discussion of 'mining titan' since it's a completely seperate resource gathering mechanic.

Devs are already working on getting more players. If that works, then many of these types of issues will still be relevant, but they won't feel 'game breaking'. Conversely, nothing that is done to issues that are caused by low population will have any direct effect on the low population issue; meaning putting mining towers into the game is not going to get new players, but will have the opposite effect.

That said, the discussion on adding more diversity to mining, with CONTROLLED probes, new bots, new modules, ect. ect. are things that will help reatain those new players the devs are working hard to get.

Arga wrote:

Automatic mining will simply kill the mining profession, and cause miners to leave the game.

Could automated mining towers have a place in the game. Yes ...

I agree with this. I don't particularly want automated mining in the game but it could have a place if done correctly. My earlier suggestion was an attempt to demonstrate that the fundamental reason for introducing such a mechanic should not be to make mining easier but to create conflict.

There is precious little mining taking place on beta currently and precious little meaningful reason to go to there at all.

70 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-13 22:39:28)

The time-sink would come from actively hauling stuff in from your mining towers (this is the part where small enough cargo of towers kicks in). The more towers you put down the more hauling you gotta do (player investment), plus if you make it so towers can't be next to each other you create competition and conflict across the board. You can even make them hackable with a SAP hacker module on Beta/Gamma.

The same miner-involvement would be there, except instead of watching a riveler mk2 shoot his lasers you're sitting there with a hauler watching the tower shoot lasers.

Alternative is just the current script-mining on Gamma.

EVE argument is invalid, you cannot terraform off a belt or site and be perfectly safe from NPC's. You can't bot-mine into an infinite field container. Let me know when Perp has a working mechanic where you level up an island's quality based on how much you're mining, then we can discuss EVE vs Perp mining.

Mining profession argument is invalid, where are all these dedicated miners that enjoy mining? Why are liquids (macroable) so cheap, and plants (requiring activity) so expensive? Surely if it was such a successful game design, there would be loads of people doing it and talking about it.

Population argument is invalid, you don't wait for players to start making the game enjoyable for them, you make it enjoyable then market the smeg out of it.

CIR Complaint Form

71 (edited by Gremrod 2013-02-13 23:23:03)

Syndic wrote:

The same miner-involvement would be there, except instead of watching a riveler mk2 shoot his lasers you're sitting there with a hauler watching the tower shoot lasers.

If you're going to make a change then make a CHANGE. Don't make a change that only swaps one boring method for another boring method.

I put time in a while back thinking on how to make mining fun or non-boring.

Only problem with any idea... They only keep it fun for a small amount of time and it is boring again.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

72 (edited by Celebro 2013-02-13 23:36:29)

Hauling stuff around is the worst part of the game, it's far worse than any other activity. How about making hauling easier, before thinking of replacing miners. Instead of mining towers replacing miners, how about towers connected to 'conveyor belts' transporting materials to stations.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Hauling stuff around is the worst part of the game, it's far worse than any other activity. How about making hauling easier, before thinking of replacing miners. Instead of mining towers replacing miners, how about towers connected to 'conveyor belts' transporting materials to stations.

Vacuum tubes and cylinders! Remember those?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Syndic wrote:

Population argument is invalid, you don't wait for players to start making the game enjoyable for them, you make it enjoyable then market the smeg out of it.

If no one was PVP'ing, there wouldn't be any need to replace bots and modules, so there would be no need to mine.

Remove PVP from the game and it will be fixed.

I think you misread that Arga, I meant "low population" cannot be an argument/excuse to avoid making changes.

EVE tackled this problem by introducing Orcas and Rorquals, escalating "island" mechanic that encourages mining. Perp has a different problem that all together with creative terraforming.

@Celebro

If hauling is the worst activity, then that too needs to be fixed. The solution is certainly not having 2 bad mechanics and not changing either of them. EVE is pouring resources with every patch into making the game more accessible, streamlined and enjoyable for all players. That's why they have 50-60k players online concurrently.

Miners have absolutely nothing to look forward to after they get to a Riveler Mk2. Only the same whack-a-tile mechanic, or be a followbot for someone. Combats always have PVP, Distress Beacons, Observers, Caravans, SAPs.

CIR Complaint Form