Re: Dynamic Ore Spawn Question.

usually, in MMORPGs, a high-level player is either IGNORED by low level NPCs, or they simply cannot deal enough DPS to overcome his armor (no damage dealt at all and not even combat status triggered), or they out-heal it.

perp does not have auto-healing... nor does your armor in any way affect how well you are hit by something.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Oh and also, it would be good to know what islands are we talking about here. Alpha, beta, gamma?
For example ECM NPCs on alpha shouldn't be present anymore (in theory).

Are you defining alpha as Alpha -1s- Daoden, TMA, and ICS-A?  Because Tellesis still has ECMing NPCs.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Yes, I meant Alpha 1s regarding ECM.

And I know there are still red spawns on alpha, those are all mission spawns. They need to be red because the nature of the missions, like where you need to turn switches under attack and stuff.

REALLY?  ECMing mobs were removed from  alpha-1s?  Was this in the patch notes, I know about the orange mobs just  not about the ECMing mobs!  I have not truly tested the Alpha-1s but I know they are in tellesis.  Which makes sense.

I'm not sure, I think it was around the time when the players thought a lot of the spawns have been removed when they got only relocated. So I guess it was too many changes to list and was handled with a "various changes to NPC spawns" line or something tongue

Oh kool thanks Zoom for the heads up but for my ideas I have the following issues and I will break them up as I go.

Alpha - 1:  Fields still landing underneath the red spawns that are left on the islands.  ECM is not a problem as long as the ECM mobs were removed (or just the modules).  For example: goto Daoden fire up liquizit charges and start from the rydado gate.  If we can get these fields from spawning under Red spawns it would be fantastic.  Seeing how starting miners are here and most won't understand the shield concept too much =P

Alpha - 2:  Much like Alpha ones but getting a problem with ECM mobs.

Beta - I would just like to see them not spawn under mobs considering observers moving 110 KPH are enough to worry about =P

Gamma - Its Fine.

Thank you for your constructive feedback Zoom!

We had a little talk with DEV Alf about how could we make miner/harvester robots able to defend themselves more, and one of the ideas is to switch their module CPU usage bonuses to miner/harvester accumulator usage bonus (and compensate the loss of CPU on the robot's base CPU).

This way they would have more energy left for shields and stuff. But we also have to be careful not to make them too OP in their PvP support role, which is why we'll probably split the miner/support role so we can better balance it. But this is only a loose idea as of yet.

This sounds like a great start!

@Inda
Ville I have a question for you, do you think when this changes dont happened the population is higer than now? ANd I dont attack you just ask it seriously.

Inda the main problem is the changes are not the changes themselves but the changes after the fact.  In my example I pointed out when things are nerfed they are nerfed with out consideration of the backlash of the population and the players they most directly effect.  Some changes are needed "ERP" and even walls but they happened after the fact. =/

Thx, I asked that because sometimes my feelings is that: older Perpetuum was better some aspects, but some aspects dont.

Some aspects in PVP was a bit better, now a bit better to "minecrafters"/ carebears i think.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:

Some aspects in PVP was a bit better, now a bit better to "minecrafters"/ carebears i think.

Yep... We need to find a balance between the two.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We had a little talk with DEV Alf about how could we make miner/harvester robots able to defend themselves more, and one of the ideas is to switch their module CPU usage bonuses to miner/harvester accumulator usage bonus (and compensate the loss of CPU on the robot's base CPU).

seems like a good idea on paper, bad idea in reality

DEV Zoom wrote:

This way they would have more energy left for shields and stuff. But we also have to be careful not to make them too OP in their PvP support role, which is why we'll probably split the miner/support role so we can better balance it. But this is only a loose idea as of yet.

that sounds like nerf to remote modules and implementation of a RR Bonused Bot.

you should better ask yourself, why can't someone fit his robot in a way that he can simply TANK a certain kind of NPC after gathering enough intel (chassis scanner) about those NPCs. We got 5 types of armor hardeners, and in theory, 3 factional damage types.

There are two extensions to improve your self repair, tunings and 8+6 tiers of armor repair modules.
The biggest mining mech (riveler) even has a RESIST bonus ->

but in the end, the only way to TANK with it, would be fitting a shield, a hardener and as many rechargers as possible.

I also take the chance to remind you of something you had planned during beta, before masking&detection: Camoflage Module, that hides your presence from NPCs.

with the NAP NPCs on Alpha, Walls on beta, and farming-pits on gamma, i dont see any reason now why such a module would be bad at all (aside from gamma base turrets beeing NPCs...)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

64 (edited by Weedy 2012-08-11 16:16:54)

DEV Zoom wrote:

One of the challenges before was to fit your miner with proper modules and extensions to keep the accumulator stable while mining. With the miner/harvester accumulator usage bonus it looks like energy management / accumulator expansion at 5 will be more than enough. I doubt it's a very good idea. It has already been made 'simpler', now it's gonna be even easier?

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

Okay, so why does fitting a miner for mining have to be a challenge?

Cause it's a part of character progression. If you want to use higher tier of modules and mine faster and in larger volumes, it should require some adjustments and thinking, doesn't it? The more challenges there are, the more interesting it gets, how to find your way around.

So why did it have to be a challenge to fit and skill a miner properly before, and now it suddenly shouldn't? Why wasn't it simpler from the very beginning? smile Of course if we are orienting towards newbie-friendly measures to help them start their gaming progress easier, then yes, I see your point. But is it actually the right angle to look at it? There need to be more drastic measures to attract new players and make mining more appealing rather than fixing something that has always worked fine and appropriate.

Of course, conditions have changed, now ore is travelling across the island, sometimes getting under the mob spawns, etc. But I really don't think accumulator going to solve the whole issue. And generally, with the population increase (it's what we are aiming at, eh?), you don't want people to be mining easier, faster and better. You want to increase the challenge, so ones who can break the obstacles get more benefit, look it at like a sort of alpha-industry-competition part.

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

Weedy wrote:

So why did it have to be a challenge to fit and skill a miner properly before, and now it suddenly shouldn't? Why wasn't it simpler from the very beginning? smile

Because as you said, conditions have changed. Back when mineral fields were fixed, that was the only challenge. And this topic is about the new challenges miners must face due to the fields spawning under NPCs, which may be too much in some cases.

68 (edited by Weedy 2012-08-11 17:36:01)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Weedy wrote:

So why did it have to be a challenge to fit and skill a miner properly before, and now it suddenly shouldn't? Why wasn't it simpler from the very beginning? smile

Because as you said, conditions have changed. Back when mineral fields were fixed, that was the only challenge. And this topic is about the new challenges miners must face due to the fields spawning under NPCs, which may be too much in some cases.

But then it's like like cutting off one element of the gameplay to cater towards another element. From my perspective I just really doubt it's a good idea to do because it shallows and simplifies gameplay and it's something I don't want to see happening; but again, opinions are subjective. Also, we still have neut/drain mob spawns on alpha, will you try to change the feature (i.e. bonuses) in such a way that miners while mining are going to be stable against even those?

I would really like to see some more witty ways around instead of cutting a part of something that has always been there and worked perfectly. Can't suggest anything at the moment though, however my job is to give you an opinion at least smile

Would it be possible to just limit ore spawns to places without static NPC spawns?  I really can't see how any reasonable buff to industry bots is gonna let them tank an NPC spawn on beta.  I say beta because the problem there is presumably even more severe than on alpha.  Eventually all the ore fields on beta are gonna be under NPC spawns.

Also, is it true that on gamma observers can re-spawn right on top of a player (who may be mining)?

+1
-Confucius

Also, is it true that on gamma observers can re-spawn right on top of a player (who may be mining)?

not only on gamma. Roaming NPCs respawn is just limited to "not respawn within X km radius where it got killed". There is no rule that prevents them from spawning near agents on ANY island.

Annihilator wrote:

not only on gamma. Roaming NPCs respawn is just limited to "not respawn within X km radius where it got killed". There is no rule that prevents them from spawning near agents on ANY island.

Yes there is, unless it's broken.

Change: Roaming-type Observer NPCs will not spawn anymore within a 2000 meter radius of a player.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2011-08-09

That's cool

+1
-Confucius

ahhh, now i have to search my logs... big_smile

Weedy if you actually mined in the expansion you would know even with accumulator exp and energy  management 10 improved shield 10 and all shield hardeners some spawns can't be tanked. So the alternatives are a chain of energy transfers on multiple characters or have someone farm them and on beta neither are really feasible with can explosions now.

And now we might get to see a  cap stable medium miner on an Argano!

The most successful way to tank the mobs is have an Ictus draining mobs and kite them away but you have to have Ictus account.