Re: Dynamic Ore Spawn Question.

Ville - that sounds like under those conditions, a Tyrannos mk2 would be more efficient for mining then a mk2 riveler big_smile

- smaller hitsize -> better shield
- better recharge -> better shield
- better sensor strenght, faster locktime -> less prone to jamming

with a shield, even a trojar mk2 is a better miner then an Argano...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Ville wrote:

Weedy if you actually mined in the expansion you would know even with accumulator exp and energy  management 10 improved shield 10 and all shield hardeners some spawns can't be tanked. So the alternatives are a chain of energy transfers on multiple characters or have someone farm them and on beta neither are really feasible with can explosions now.

And now we might get to see a  cap stable medium miner on an Argano!

Weedy wrote:

Also, we still have neut/drain mob spawns on alpha, will you try to change the feature (i.e. bonuses) in such a way that miners while mining are going to be stable against even those?

So if it's already so damn untankable, why not find a different solution? Kaldenines' idea seems to be the only fitting choice so far.

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

Reset the ores spawns once a week?

@ zoom: While mining lasers don't need that much accu in general that change wouldn't really help here. If a miner can't even tank spawns without having any mining module active, there's no meaning in it at all. In contrary, as miner I need lots of CPU and mainly reactor to be able to equip a shield more effectivly while being able to mine (shield fit needs more reactor and cpu than miners).

Ah, since I always read here "shield tank" - why can't we already get a working option for repair? Atm the obvious choice to tank anyone (even the easiest spawns) is first and foremost the shield. You can't even equip a repairmod for emergencies when accu is too low and shield is down.

I suggest the auto-repair option for non-npcs so that a HM can at least tank a few t1 light bots (or at least the drone spawns) without shield so it can dock and doesn't need a puny repair for some scratches. All in all, it may take a seemingly eternity for drones to bring an unequipped HM down but one drone still is able to do that.
Furthermore, an opportunity for emergency repair. This could be solved somehow like: if there's no accu left rep-mod shuts down weapons and active modules for a few seconds instead of using accu but still repairs a percentage of your maximum HP; the shutdown time and repair amount can be balanced so that the cycle time of repmods gives PvPers enough time to still shoot you down. ECM, too, could still pose a problem.

To the ore spawns themselve, for alpha-I's it might be alright to limit them to not spawn under NPCs (to have an easier start for newcomers). But the difficulty should rise from there on: alpha-II, then beta-I, beta-II, with the highest danger zone gamma (maybe set the same rule for alpha-II and beta-I)

Weedy, simplest solution is not spawn ore spawns under mobs.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Annihilator wrote:

so, please dont make it spawn under...

- impassable terrain
- buildings
- safe zones
- hot zones
- npc spawns
- water
- highways
- logged out mining agents
- MCP

big_smile

back to page 1 smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Ville wrote:

Weedy, simplest solution is not spawn ore spawns under mobs.

Weedy wrote:

Kaldenines' idea seems to be the only fitting choice so far.

Kaldenines wrote:

Would it be possible to just limit ore spawns to places without static NPC spawns?

Bro. Reading. It does wonders! Sometimes I start to believe in old Soviet propaganda about US', shall we call it, deceleration of education big_smile

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

I was agreeing with Kaldenines.  You misunderstood.

I hope I did smile

85 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-08-15 21:17:35)

Ok, a bit late to the party on this one (been busy) but my question would be why do miners have to defend themselves from or tank static spawns at all?

If all static spawns were orange (yes, on Beta too), including spawns defending assignment points then all that would need to change is that a player accepting an assignment would be flagged for the NPCs defending that assignment.

Add orange roaming spawns to alpha1 and keep alpha2/beta/gamma roamers as red and then mining is still not an afk activity (of which I heartily approve) but also not completely impossible.

That seems like the simplest solution ... or have I missed something?

Hares a suggestion instead of continuing to modify the stats of the current mining robots, why not just add in new robots with skills based towards low security mining? Give it less miners, but more mined amount bonus so it some what keeps up with the riv’s but it has more slots capability and bonuses geared towards tanking spawns on mineral fields.
A good way to do this might be to give it:
mined amount bonus
shield absorption bonus (or armor repair / resist bonus) one or the other.
CPU / Reactor reduction for equipped industrial modules / harvesters / miners
Don’t allow it to equip misc. slots … allow it to equip about 4 miners and 2 turret / missile slots slots

This bots bonuses should be geared toward long endurance mining operations so it need a large accumulation for shield tanking and a adequate recharge time ..
This robot should not be able to equip RSA’s RR’s or RET’s it needs to be a pure miner so as not to be over powered in pvp.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

Hares a suggestion instead of continuing to modify the stats of the current mining robots, why not just add in new robots with skills based towards low security mining? Give it less miners, but more mined amount bonus so it some what keeps up with the riv’s but it has more slots capability and bonuses geared towards tanking spawns on mineral fields.
A good way to do this might be to give it:
mined amount bonus
shield absorption bonus (or armor repair / resist bonus) one or the other.
CPU / Reactor reduction for equipped industrial modules / harvesters / miners
Don’t allow it to equip misc. slots … allow it to equip about 4 miners and 2 turret / missile slots slots

This bots bonuses should be geared toward long endurance mining operations so it need a large accumulation for shield tanking and a adequate recharge time ..
This robot should not be able to equip RSA’s RR’s or RET’s it needs to be a pure miner so as not to be over powered in pvp.

Won't matter if you are being neuted / ECMd into oblivion by every NPC and its mother.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Tux, while i agree, that they should add new robots instead of "bandaid-fixing" the existing ones (nice word Blackomen wink ), i also have a topic up somwhere where i was requesting the DEVs to finally decide if they want Omni-mechs or Role specific ones. ATM we have a rather limited mix of both.

fiddling on the accumulator mechanics of a single bot to make it possible for him to shield-tank heavy fire AND mining at the same time, will just end in that bot beeing overpowered indestructible in PvP.

It comes down to the reason why ERP, and repair tunings got over-nerfed some time ago.
The question:

how many DPS bots should you be able to tank,
while still beeing able to do something else at the same time, like shooting back

Totally ignoring the possibility of Rock-paper-scissor - The current answer is "none, more DPS wins by default"*

The answer to the question should be: "if they are throwing scissors on your rock, you should be able to win against 100eds of them with just a few scratches."

Same is true for EWAR. There are "counter" modules to lower the effectivity of ECM, Supressor and Neuts -> but even if you pack your robot full with them, the effect of the ECM is absolute when it hits.

*: exceptions are the confirmation of the rule

89 (edited by Annihilator 2012-08-16 14:31:28)

just in case, i would try to shield tank with an argano, and theoretically, my mining laser would consume 0 AP/s -

with
- a t4 small shield,
- a t4 medium accumulator and
- a t4 shield hardener,
- lvl9 Energy management, lvl8 accumulator expansion, lvl5 shield efficiency

i would get the following stats:
912 AP / 86s -> 21 AP/s peak recharge
0.316 AP/HP -> 3,16 HP/AP Shield

= 2886 Shield-HP @ 33 SHP/s average recovery @ 4 hitsize

vs. unbonused light em gun: 22 dmg / 5s = 4,4 dps / 4° dispersion = 100% chance to hit

aka: hurray, i can theoretically tank 2 non-tuning fit 2nd star with rather expensive equip and high extensions! and i dont even have my mining laser activated for that. now how would reducing the mining laser AP consumption change something?

btw, a trojar would be able to fit a t4 industry tuning, and two t4 mining laser - and still have better recharge, better shield, better hitsize - only worse cargo and halve mining efficiency.

@sundial ~ ECM should only be on A2, B1, B2, and G Islands. A1’s should not have NPC’s that ECM.

We need to remember the more we tone down the NPC’s on the starter islands the worst it will be for new players venturing out into the game. There should be a gradual progression of NPC difficulty wne moving from A1, A2, B1, B2, and G islands. There will be some resistance for miners to endure from the natives but this should be minimal.

One option for the field location and NPC issue is to create “hotspots” where fields will re-spawn at these locations should be relatively NPC free maybe a few drones here or there but no 3 star 4 star NPC’s . The restrictions should only apply to A1 and A2 islands and there should be no restrictions on the B1, B2 and G islands 

Anni .. I would like to see role specific robots in the game it will allow for more variety and it will be easier to balance. (why) for the same reason 1.5 years on we don’t have Hybrid robots. Allowing one robot to do to much will just make it over powered.

@ DEVS new role specific robots please !

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tbh Dynamic spawns  work great for gamma.  Not so much for alpha and beta, but I'm done with this topic I've conveyed why its idiotic to introduce dynamic features in a static world.

omg, i stumbled upon something:
http://my.mmosite.com/767901/blog/ritem … _dead.html

eve with starships introduces different roles for the different sizes of mining ships? and one of it is beeing able to tank a gank (aka multiple attacking player ships)

93 (edited by Celebro 2012-08-24 17:41:52)

Annihilator wrote:

omg, i stumbled upon something:
http://my.mmosite.com/767901/blog/ritem … _dead.html

eve with starships introduces different roles for the different sizes of mining ships? and one of it is beeing able to tank a gank (aka multiple attacking player ships)

Yes that's right already heard about it a few weeks ago, good changes IMO, instead mining ships being a stepping stone with the Hulk being the best in every aspect , each class specializes depending on the gameplay taste of each individual player: Tanking class to play it safe, Large cargo class for AFK mining, Fleet/squad class for higher yields.

Seriously lets copy them, who cares smile

RIP PERPETUUM

I heard its not only mining ships that got that treatment, but everything in that game.

Avatar Creations doesnt need to copy, just come up with something similar or better, and not a copy without even understanding the reasons behind, and alternating things just for the sake of beeing different (eg. accumulator mechanics)

95 (edited by Arjha Shanoo 2012-08-24 18:06:12)

copy? wasnt that originally one of ACs goal to have a significant role for each class (ie not only stepping stones)? so back to the root idea

96 (edited by Celebro 2012-08-24 18:07:24)

Annihilator wrote:

I heard its not only mining ships that got that treatment, but everything in that game.

Avatar Creations doesnt need to copy, just come up with something similar or better, and not a copy without even understanding the reasons behind, and alternating things just for the sake of beeing different (eg. accumulator mechanics)

Coming up with something similar is what I meant. I Have to say this, specialized mining ships for different playing styles is utter genius. You give the players exactly what they need.

RIP PERPETUUM

this goes one in one with the "whats the role of light bots" topic ->

If you look at the stats of the three mining bots in perp you get:

• Argano (light mining bot)
    - 3x small mining laser
    - 2x tuning slot
    - 1x lwf, 1x free engineering slot

- Bonuses: cycletime, mined amount, geoscan accuracy.

• Termis (med mining bot)
    4x med mining laser ( aka 1 more then argano)
    4x tuning slot (aka 2 more then argano, stacking by multiplication)
    1x lwf slot, 3x recharge slot to make it capstable

- bonuses: same as argano
    - slope and speed slightly worse then argano
    - cargo and mining yield/min far above then argano, even on low extensions

• Riveler (large mining bot)
    - 5x medium mining laser
    - 4x tuning slot
    - 1x lwf, 4x recharge slots, optional shield because easy capstable

- bonuses: same as others, except resist bonus instead of geoscan accuracy
    - slope BETTER then termis, able to reach 95% of the mining locations
    - speed slower then the other two, but with ability to tank quite a bit.
    - more cargo then termis, ~25% more yield/min then termis.

Conclusion: since the price difference and EP difference between argano and termis is so small, the only reason to use the argano is, to gather the NIC for the Termis. After that you go straight to Riveler. If you got someone scanning for you, or got the accuracy extension high, you wont ever use the argano or termis again once your a Riveler MK2 pilot.

There are so many ways to make small mining laser and argano usefull for something - just an example:

1. ores spawning sometimes in small, very dense pockets on high slopes, only reachable by argano

2. + those dense pockets also "dropping" isotopes more often

3. + medium mining laser get AoE , small mining laser collect more isotopes

4. + arganos masking and detection equal to combat assaults (100/100)

My proposal to differentiate between argano, termis and riveler would be:
- speed (difference of at least 10kmph between bots; at least 20kmph between lowest and highest)
- slope (difference of at least 2 degrees in slope; so at least 4 degrees between lowest and highest)
- slots (difference of 2-3 slots, with 1 or 2 special slot for extra yield for a particular ore; for example termis 1 special slot exclusive for a module that enhances 1 type of ore yield, riveler has 2 )
- cargohold (termis with larger cargohold than riveler)
- detection (argano with better detection)
- yield (riveler with better chances to get ore variants)

Vehacan wrote:

My proposal to differentiate between argano, termis and riveler would be:
- speed (difference of at least 10kmph between bots; at least 20kmph between lowest and highest)
before or after lwf and equip. on paper argano is already 10.8 kph faster then a riveler, base speeds?
Mining bots aside - speed mechanics are questionable anyway

- slope (difference of at least 2 degrees in slope; so at least 4 degrees between lowest and highest)
current: argano 56°, termis 45°, riveler 51° - i guess with "degrees" your talking about the general 3 slope abilites that we have (light, assault, mech)
- slots (difference of 2-3 slots, with 1 or 2 special slot for extra yield for a particular ore; for example termis 1 special slot exclusive for a module that enhances 1 type of ore yield, riveler has 2 )
whats the difference to the existing tunings? why new slot type? IMHO the engineering and headslot-count should not differ that much at all across the "tiers" of robots
- cargohold (termis with larger cargohold than riveler)
well, thats what they did in eve, cannot be applied to perp unless they also copy the ore-only cargo too (which would be a good idea tbh.)
- detection (argano with better detection)
detection is not that critical, masking and sensor strength of industrials is a problem, imho
- yield (riveler with better chances to get ore variants)
disagree - the bot with less cargo and less mining laser, aka lowest yield/min should get the bonus for isotopes, since they yield more ore per U, and have been implement for that anyway

Arjha also mentioned that termis could be combat-miner... with one more weapon slot and well, ability to fight off npcs - which is also hard to implement due to the rather bad DPS / self repair ability...

100 (edited by Ville 2012-09-06 00:37:16)

[01:33:03] <ThorDin> stupid *** NPC turrets GTFO
[01:33:07] <ThorDin> im trying to *** mine

5th time this week I have seen this.  These are new players on alpha 1s running into this.  Because unless they are told in general chat they don't know about shield skills mechanics and ways of doing this.  Ore needs to not spawn within 500 meters around NPCs or under them.

Orange NPCs have been Great! but its not enough.