Re: New devblog: The Gamma proposal

on MAJOR - next patch - point is missing:

Fixed broken factional commodities that need imported plant to be refined.

this should be in next patch.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

27 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-07-10 22:54:47)

These changes are steps in the right direction.

There are a few concerns that don't seem to be directly addressed though:

A few people mentioned that the cost of modules is prohibitive for any kind of frequent pvp.  This is also linked to things like artifact scanning drops, kernel drop rates and off course the minerals required for production.  I am not convinced that the noralgis changes alone are gonna make a big difference.

The second is that if corps living on gamma are able to wall themselves in completely (and sooner rather than later they will) we are all gonna be very very bored while we sit there mining and harvesting.

These are the two fundamental issues that I was really hoping would be addressed.

+1
-Confucius

Ok, one change I read that I think will have the opposite of what you desire ...

Terraforming charges to be 1/5th of their current cost?

If you have stated that you envision players on Gamma defending Bases and not islands, the drastic reduction in terraforming cost will make it far simpler to wall off all island teleports, and reduce player interaction.  If you had lowered base terraforming costs while keeping the rest high(er), this would encourage base development.  Such a low cost means that terraforming will be quite widespread ... theres no need to think where to terraform and when to invest the nic required.

I think its a terrible change imo.  I hope I misread it and you are reducing the cost by a fifth, not to a fifth, of their current cost.

Fortress Island = Player Isolation.
Fortress Base = Players roaming (perhaps with difficultly) other players islands = PVP = world is spinning correctly.

Theres a question:

Completely new tier of modules using colixum.

if that means T5 ontop of the already vertical progression system of the current tiers... bye bye perpetuum

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Ah I actually thought the blog was talking about new types of modules not yet another tire of the same modules to grind kernels for...

To the devs: guys come on, girls just wanna have fun, enough of the grind already. Look at the killboard for today (http://perp-kill.net/), loads of things died... on Hershfield... cause people are bored out of their skulls sad

+1
-Confucius

Spark Teleport: how balanced will be an ability to bring half of assets to an enemy beta terminal while keeping aonther half at your home base and then quickly teleport here and there for attacking/defence? I mean, beta terminals have no access restriction, that will make beta-1 islands more harder to defend.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I can see a cooldown set on this feature.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

33 (edited by Syndic 2012-07-11 11:16:32)

Another important suggestion would be including Proximity Probes in the "no-build in 2000 meter from teleport" list, its quite silly that for 4-5 million someone can have a perfectly risk-free Beta/Gamma island. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Suggestion:
Scrap this idea.
Make a NEW class of robots (no cheapskate oh-lets-repaint-bot-and-type-in-new-bonuses) with colixium based components that are buildable on Gamma and can't go through Beta <-> Alpha teleports.

I would like to underline that this is most important solution for currently unbalanced RvR. Also, i would like to mention that in my opinion this new modules and robots should be big (3 dots), and be designed for siege\defence of MPC.

Alexadar wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Suggestion:
Scrap this idea.
Make a NEW class of robots (no cheapskate oh-lets-repaint-bot-and-type-in-new-bonuses) with colixium based components that are buildable on Gamma and can't go through Beta <-> Alpha teleports.

I would like to underline that this is most important solution for currently unbalanced RvR. Also, i would like to mention that in my opinion this new modules and robots should be big (3 dots), and be designed for siege\defence of MPC.

Big stuff is always nice but dont forget the small things .... Like Ewar assaults smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

DEVS- thank you for listening to the people, this is key to your success!

Alpha area suggestion:

Adding a lot more bots to the Alpha area is a great idea!  Could you please see if you could simulate a battle?  Have some bots that spawn defend the base, while others are attacking the bots?
When a player logs in for the first time they would have a great light show and simulation they can be a part of and included in.   Create the illusion of action occurring so its not so bland and boring..

We need to start hooking new players, so how can we make the alpha areas more exciting!?

General ArkAngel wrote:

DEVS- thank you for listening to the people, this is key to your success!

Alpha area suggestion:

Adding a lot more bots to the Alpha area is a great idea!  Could you please see if you could simulate a battle?  Have some bots that spawn defend the base, while others are attacking the bots?
When a player logs in for the first time they would have a great light show and simulation they can be a part of and included in.   Create the illusion of action occurring so its not so bland and boring..

We need to start hooking new players, so how can we make the alpha areas more exciting!?

that would actually be really look... doing anything that adds more life to the game ( including its npc's) is a good thing smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

38 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-07-11 16:16:36)

Cassius wrote:

Ok, one change I read that I think will have the opposite of what you desire ...

Terraforming charges to be 1/5th of their current cost?

If you have stated that you envision players on Gamma defending Bases and not islands, the drastic reduction in terraforming cost will make it far simpler to wall off all island teleports, and reduce player interaction.  If you had lowered base terraforming costs while keeping the rest high(er), this would encourage base development.  Such a low cost means that terraforming will be quite widespread ... theres no need to think where to terraform and when to invest the nic required.

I think its a terrible change imo.  I hope I misread it and you are reducing the cost by a fifth, not to a fifth, of their current cost.

You didn't misread, Cassius, terraforming proposed to be 20% of current cost. I agree - this would be a disaster. Terraforming needs to be really expensive or PvP will just die at the huge dirt walls people build 2000km from a teleport. Cost of terraforming is fine as is. No need to change.

39 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2012-07-11 16:29:50)

you forget one thing. its only buildings that gets a "no build zone". its not a "no terraform zone".
of cource you still have the limits around the teleports, but with that you can still make the terrain there unpassable for any roaming group if you choose to do so...

of cource this will not realy stop an invasion, but i think thats not your concern here anyway. the expensive stuff is not the think with keeping roams out. the expensive thing is with keeping the invasion out. and hat will not happen with the 2km range on buildings cause you will basicly have a wall that will be ~6km long. at least at most teleporters. not that the wall will be the problem. but maybe the turrets and all the stuff is needed that for.
the 2km building should prevent too much teleport fortification.

i think cheeper terraforming is nessessary. its quite annoying if your main cost is not your base but the terraforming just to keep it realtivly save.

on long term it will not matter how expensive it is. if ppl want to build a 6km wall around each teleport then they will. no matter the costs, or you will just slow that down with higher costs, but you will not prevent it anyway.

Meh, nothing that addresses PvP issues, nothing that stops fortress islands. At least there will be more NPCs to shoot at inside your walled off island.......

Gamma island artifacts should have a chance to drop prototype items

Making terraforming cheaper is a BAD idea.  If whole islands get completely terraformed (because it's cheaper) then say bye bye to small gang roaming of gamma.

It seems you guys green-lighted any idea that was thrown out there during that meeting, DON'T DO THAT!!

Currently, with a small population just a few people can completely cut off a teleport in just a couple weeks time.  With terraforming costing less, then those same few players can terraform that much more, which would be VERY bad indeed, especially if it's more than a few people doing it over a couple months.

Small gang roams are the basic unit of pvp in PO.  Every time you guys introduce a barrier to small roams, you lose players.  Terraforming is a basic obstruction to small gang roams.  Please reconsider this and consider making terraforming MORE costly than it is now.  Terraforming should take many weeks if not months or years to affect whole islands.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Mongolia Jones wrote:

Making terraforming cheaper is a BAD idea.  If whole islands get completely terraformed (because it's cheaper) then say bye bye to small gang roaming of gamma.

It seems you guys green-lighted any idea that was thrown out there during that meeting, DON'T DO THAT!!

Currently, with a small population just a few people can completely cut off a teleport in just a couple weeks time.  With terraforming costing less, then those same few players can terraform that much more, which would be VERY bad indeed, especially if it's more than a few people doing it over a couple months.

Small gang roams are the basic unit of pvp in PO.  Every time you guys introduce a barrier to small roams, you lose players.  Terraforming is a basic obstruction to small gang roams.  Please reconsider this and consider making terraforming MORE costly than it is now.  Terraforming should take many weeks if not months or years to affect whole islands.

ppl will do it anyway. or make it unroamable with fewer costs.. just remember the walls on beta. way more easy with terraforming. so more expensive terraforming will not prevent anti roamable gamma islands if the holding corp chooses to do so.

Line wrote:

Spark Teleport: how balanced will be an ability to bring half of assets to an enemy beta terminal while keeping aonther half at your home base and then quickly teleport here and there for attacking/defence? I mean, beta terminals have no access restriction, that will make beta-1 islands more harder to defend.

+1 Devs

Bahahaha

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

People in the conference: make terraforming cheaper!
People on the forum: don't make terraforming cheaper!

fuuu

46 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2012-07-11 20:05:03)

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

ppl will do it anyway. or make it unroamable with fewer costs.. just remember the walls on beta. way more easy with terraforming. so more expensive terraforming will not prevent anti roamable gamma islands if the holding corp chooses to do so.

So Zortarg, we are basically in agreement.  Since corps will make it more difficult to roam the islands regardless of the costs we should make terraforming more expensive (MUCH more expensive, maybe 10x or 20x) as that will at least slow down the rate that islands will get completely walled off.

If the DEVs want gamma islands to be walled-off (except for the teleport areas) sooner than later then reduce the price.

Since I'm a firm believer that terraforming is a PvP deterrent then it is inherently BAD for PO to allow easily accessible terraforming.

47 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2012-07-11 20:13:43)

DEV Zoom wrote:

fuuu

DEV Zoom, in the conference, it was apparent that you had people who's job/goal was to wall off their islands from the rest of the server for their corporations.  Of course if you ask them "should terraforming be cheaper" they would respond with a "yes".

If you ask many PvPers (especially not so wealthy ones) if Mk2 bots should be 5x cheaper what do you think the response will be?

Mongolia Jones wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

fuuu

DEV Zoom, in the conference, it was apparent that you had people who's job/goal was to wall off their islands from the rest of the server for their corporations.  Of course if you ask them "should terraforming be cheaper" they would respond with a "yes".

If you ask many PvPers (especially not so wealthy ones) if Mk2 bots should be 5x cheaper what do you think the response will be?

+ 1

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website

49 (edited by Annihilator 2012-07-11 20:19:28)

i bet the new robots will be pvp must have after a few weeks, and easier to mass produce then mk2s.

any1 without those bots will have an automatic 50% chance to be steamrolled in seconds.

new weapons are probably those that have been in the works for 2 years now, which means robot-fit artillery with AoE damage.

Since the blog already says "colixium" based, even the T1's will be extreme cost intensive but realatively useless.

i cant help, but i see only vertical progression, which means, stuff that is:
- more expensive then current stuff
- needs more ep then current stuff
- is less likely to be risked in pvp by any1 else then CIR for the next two month

in the meanwhile, trials will continue leaving the game after "selecting the wrong faction" in their eyes on day one, and getting told that that they cannot get the starting EP back when they delete their agent.

If you wanna know, by chance, what i would like to see as "colixium" based stuff instead:
- Siege equip
- siege robots
- all stuff that is totally useless in beta PvP or npc grind

*edit*: about terraforming. I already suggested, give terminal a TF buff, that makes it kinda cheaper for the outpost owner, but only in that area of the outpost.
- its not on the whole island
- its cheap to terraform your base
- its not cheap to terraform the great wall of NIA around a Teleporter
- its not cheap to destroy someone esles base AND delay reconstruction by offensive terraforming

50 (edited by Syndic 2012-07-11 20:41:54)

DEV Zoom wrote:

fuuu

People in the conference: make it 1000m!
People on the forum: why dont you make it 1000m!
Devblog: everyone agrees on 2000m so we're going with that

Meanwhile in Neverland, 3-4 mil in proximity probes on teleports completely kills any roaming or small-pvp prospects but that's working as intended. lol

Jokes aside, even with the old 500m system there is no theoretical possibility anyone could have made an impenetrable island defense. All the terraforming and base changes will result in two things;

a) Someone who wants to invade will invade a lot easier and quicker then before.
b) Gamma residents who can't defend their stuff dock up for a week or two and have a bit more time to haul their stuff out before their base is blown up.

And thats the beauty of it, every "balance change" is a double-edged sword that cuts both ways, provided there is someone out there with a little bit of imagination to take full advantage of it. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice