1 (edited by Gremrod 2012-07-03 06:05:46)

Topic: The 2k Gamma TP patch. Why? @THE DEVS

@DEVs

I wanted to find out why this patch is happening?

Did you guys run numbers and test on the test server with 100 people 50 attacking  50 defending an outpost and defenses set up on a with the current build restrictions?

If so did you guys run the test multi times with the attacking force trying something new each time?

I want to know why the dev team thinks this change is warranted at this time?

Please explain away.......................................................................................... cool

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Re: The 2k Gamma TP patch. Why? @THE DEVS

Please let the DEVS post.

..........................NO TROLLS PLEASE..........................

3 (edited by BandwagonX9000 2012-07-03 07:15:02)

Obviously nobody could have suspected the players would build defenses or terraform around the natural choke points, rather than just build a base in the open.

I mean, why deny your enemy a beach head when you can invite them in for tea and crumpets?

The funniest thing that devs was told about it before expansion.

I see no benefit in continuing to be a beta-tester. Much more fun to kill other beta-testers and harvest their tears. yarr

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

I see no benefit in continuing to be a beta-tester. Much more fun to kill other beta-testers and harvest their tears. yarr

Now you know how we felt when we built our Kent Empire

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Nice. Less people on gamma, more room for me! Can you remove the remaining NPCs too, so I can go full-time-artifact-scanning-carebear?

Thanks in advance!

NPCs? We have NPCs on Novaya?

We killed them yesterday sorry.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

10 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-03 16:09:11)

How TFing & turrets would be used was brought up to the DEVs when we were on the test server.. infact even b4 then. But the devs didnt want to hear about it at the time.

I mean really any one that was on the test server knew exactly what was going to happen. How on earth the Devs didnt see it or why they blatantly ignored what was said ill never know.

The funny thing is what they are going to do wont solve what they seem to want to stop.
Oh wait look what i found... http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … raforming/

this was also brought up on IRC....

OH wait a sec arga & i had mentioned something similar back in ...2012-02-24

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Arga wrote:

So, up to this point -

The only real OMG didn't you see that coming problem with terraforming seems to be using it to generate impassable terrain around all the external teleporters.

Is this really going to be an issue, and if so, what can the devs do (short of not releasing TF) to combat that possibilty?

I was thinking about this arga... first off we will not be able to terrform the beach line of an island. so all external TPs should be built with in 1000m of the shore line. this will stop a player from "mountain in" an External TP as an example...

Having this imo would be bad
Example A: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1_B8 … hFtlg/edit

However by placing external TPs on or very close to the none terraformable beach line an island owner has to make a choice:
Example B: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1cPh … edit?pli=1
OR
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1DEy … 4a-dc/edit

the above 2 options still allow the person to mountain in a area, but he cant just do the easy option of locking off a few small areas around a TP. He has to choose.... do i built a massive mountain range or do a mountain off a smaller area that i can defend more easy. Both of these options still leave a portion of the island open.
Now not every Gamma island owner will "seal" off him self from the out side world. but for those that it should take good planning & a lot of effort.

any way thats my 2c so far smile

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ng/page/5/

YEAH no one seen it coming

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

They weren't expected we will spoil the whole idea so fast big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

They weren't expected we will spoil the whole idea so fast big_smile

Good one smile High 5

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

@Gremrod:

The explanation is quite simple really, the 2000m is more than the turrets' maximum range. As I wrote in the other topic, our intention is not to make you defend the teleports, but to defend your base. I'm not saying that with the increased limit this won't be possible, but it will be much harder to pull off the same strategy. With the 500m construction limit it was just way too easy to do it.

Btw we're also discussing ways to make base defense easier in offline times, it's not fun if a few people wipe your base clean every night in a few minutes.

If you are going to implement this change please also increase turret's detection otherwise they will be useless.

15 (edited by Gremrod 2012-07-03 17:43:42)

Thanks Zoom.

I will wait for the blog post too. smile

god i really hope you somehow boost those stupid turrets.

they are slow,
easy to jam
short range
squishy,

and not to forget, unable to shoot at anything else then player. (they ignore bombs, container, beacons, npcs and other deployable stuff) -> and they do not generate killmails for the owner

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

god i really hope you somehow boost those stupid turrets.

they are slow,
easy to jam
short range
squishy,

and not to forget, unable to shoot at anything else then player. (they ignore bombs, container, beacons, npcs and other deployable stuff) -> and they do not generate killmails for the owner

Stop it you carebear your making too much sense!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

actually, my biggerst concern with the announcement was, the EXTREME short notice.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

19 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-03 23:25:11)

DEV Zoom wrote:

@Gremrod:

The explanation is quite simple really, the 2000m is more than the turrets' maximum range. As I wrote in the other topic, our intention is not to make you defend the teleports, but to defend your base. I'm not saying that with the increased limit this won't be possible, but it will be much harder to pull off the same strategy. With the 500m construction limit it was just way too easy to do it.

your intention isnt going to work. Simple as that.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue