Topic: Terraforming

Terraforming:

OK so this isnt a post about tiles / beacon terraforming. the problem i see atm (unless this is going to change) is with being able to seeming terraform right down to the im-passable terrain on the waters egde around the islands. Being able to do this will mean ppl can do the following: http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab30 … m_0008.png

This would make the issues we seen with walls look petty lol.

Solution? Ide say make a 500m area on the coast (beach) non-terraformable. this does 2 things.
1. means a local residenct can still "mountain himself in" if he wishes
2. a roamer passing thru can still pass thru an island even if the locals have built the Himalayas. 

The game play of both side remains open & all sides still have the freedom do change the land as they see fit.

To show the issue look at the following Pics:
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab30 … m_0011.png
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab30 … m_0012.png

doing this to all the TPs on an island would be like walls 1.0. exept here ive only done 1 tile. you could build a whole mountain around the TP . making the area around TPs that cant be terraformed also doesn't fix the problem.

The beach area of Gamma isands must be a Terraform free zone as i have said above IMHO.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Re: Terraforming

Obi that Idea is good, I also thinking about the terraform can bring also the "old walls" problem, so at least we need to thinking about that, your idea is 1 solution and I like it.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Another thing to Terraforming, now I cant terraform in 1000m from PBS, I would like, and I dont care anybody else also can.

Or Karism idea: Lets just terraformabele the PBS owner within 1000 m and 200-300m area.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

4 (edited by Burial 2012-05-14 10:25:33)

The solution doesn't fix much, the core issue is still there, althought a bit weaker. Just give us something reasonable to counter these types of landscapes. Landscape bombs, some elevator lines or whatever.

Burial wrote:

The solution doesn't fix much, the core issue is still there, althought a bit weaker. Just give us something reasonable to counter these types of landscapes. Landscape bombs, some elevator lines or whatever.

well actually no the main issue i state is fixed. the moving thru an island without the use of Mobile TP's.

Now for actually assaulting well fortified strong holds... thats another issue.

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I thought this was how it was supposed to be working, it may be a bug, or the non-TF beach isn't active yet.

i think that was the purpose of gamma... what will happen if you cant terraform at the beach? you do a wall around the island... same problen only more work. but will solve nothing.

ppl that want to turtle up on their island will turtle up on their island. if you restrict the beaches or not.

if you dont like taht you can do two things:
1.: dont do that on your island so that you and your corpmates can get ganked all the time
2.: dont go to islands that are turtled up.

problem solved.

There will be the same 3k radius around your base for building walls.

Walls can be breached by plasma bombs, to get past TF you need to equip a module and bring charges.

We went through this discussion about walls on beta ruining roaming, fine. But with destructable property on gamma, the game design should not be concerned with making the islands freely roamable.

Its best to think of these island outposts as fortresses, complete with PIA defenses, mantraps, flypaper, roachmotels, and gum on your shoe traps.

9 (edited by Inda 2012-05-14 18:18:37)

Zortarg said:

"i think that was the purpose of gamma... what will happen if you cant terraform at the beach? you do a wall around the island... same problen only more work. but will solve nothing."

Actually this can solve you can go inside the Island, if Anybody want that turtle mode will build a wall over the ilsand still can do, but after that not every island will be turtled, and better you cant walled off the island so you at least can go to other tp-s and inside the Island.

But we have teleport beacons so you really dont need to walk to the teleport, but still have issue did you thought your defense structure can be nearly invulnerable???? So everbody just walled off the TP, and then nobody cant go anywhere... On gamma do you want that? Or would like to fight sometimes?

And you dont really need walled off the hole Island, you need just some place the mining field is moving.

SOO this BIGGER issue what first seems. Nearly what happened after WALLS. Need to learn to the past.

(If my argue cant understandable or I am wrong sorry)

Energy to Earth!

There will always be 2 generic sides; 1 side wants to roam freely and the other wants to defend against it.

@Obi - Lets call this: 'just passing through'

While its somewhat common now for roamers to run through beta islands looking for targets, I'm not sure that concept fits into gamma.

With the server population, there simply aren't enough players to populate all the new islands. But it's also highly unlikely that any small corp will be able to drop an outpost down on one of the 'remote' islands without it getting spotted; because at this time, it just won't be possible to stop 'just passing through'.

To do this requires gate camping, because of standard TP beacons. Also TP paths show up differently on maps when they are activated, so they'll probably be Islands that aren't opened (it takes a non-trivial amount of effort to unlock a TP). And those that are will be checked by roamers.

Islands that do get a fair population, won't be roaming targets, or if they are they won't be for long. The logistics of continually moving new foundation modules out to replace those destroyed will quickly result in burn-out and abandonment of gamma.

OK, so TF.

Just like walls 1.0, TF is useless without troops to back it up. Meaning, outposts with players online will be very difficult to attack, but without players there to adjust to attackers tactics, they will destroy automatic defenses, leaving the base and its modules open to deconstruction or just destruction.

All the same anti-roaming tricks will work on gamma. Simply putting a scout on the TP will absolutely give any miners time to log out, since there are no internal TP's for roamers to cheat into the interior.

And, just like any PVP enabled zone, if your out in the wild, you should have protection as there will still be NPC's and highly masked bots that can slip in.

tl;dr - Low population/lack of targets doesn't mean the game mechanics should make it simple to gank players on gamma. With more players will come more targets, and hopefully then, roaming on beta and large engagements on gamma; no players, then the point is moot.

11 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-14 20:29:33)

On A different aspect of TF.

The TF tool set to be used with beacons works rather well, or at elast it looks like it will once the beacons work. But the main part I am talking about is the the UI elements used. The tools given to transform the landscape in the TF window are easy to use and enjoyable.

But, the TF module and ammo for TF from a bot is down right a pain and not fun at all.

I would like to see it use something like the TF window and let people shape the landscape and then commit the change. At that point it would consume the TF ammo charges in your cargo hold.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

12 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-05-15 02:08:45)

Arga wrote:

There will always be 2 generic sides; 1 side wants to roam freely and the other wants to defend against it.

@Obi - Lets call this: 'just passing through'

While its somewhat common now for roamers to run through beta islands looking for targets, I'm not sure that concept fits into gamma.

With the server population, there simply aren't enough players to populate all the new islands. But it's also highly unlikely that any small corp will be able to drop an outpost down on one of the 'remote' islands without it getting spotted; because at this time, it just won't be possible to stop 'just passing through'.

To do this requires gate camping, because of standard TP beacons. Also TP paths show up differently on maps when they are activated, so they'll probably be Islands that aren't opened (it takes a non-trivial amount of effort to unlock a TP). And those that are will be checked by roamers.

Islands that do get a fair population, won't be roaming targets, or if they are they won't be for long. The logistics of continually moving new foundation modules out to replace those destroyed will quickly result in burn-out and abandonment of gamma.

OK, so TF.

Just like walls 1.0, TF is useless without troops to back it up. Meaning, outposts with players online will be very difficult to attack, but without players there to adjust to attackers tactics, they will destroy automatic defenses, leaving the base and its modules open to deconstruction or just destruction.

All the same anti-roaming tricks will work on gamma. Simply putting a scout on the TP will absolutely give any miners time to log out, since there are no internal TP's for roamers to cheat into the interior.

And, just like any PVP enabled zone, if your out in the wild, you should have protection as there will still be NPC's and highly masked bots that can slip in.

tl;dr - Low population/lack of targets doesn't mean the game mechanics should make it simple to gank players on gamma. With more players will come more targets, and hopefully then, roaming on beta and large engagements on gamma; no players, then the point is moot.

Actually arga im not being pro roaming here. The problem i see with being about to mountain in every TP on an island is not coz it effects roamers. it will effect massively new small corps trying to get onto gamma & solo ppl that enjoy ninja roaming. It will force every one that wants to move thru gamma to use mobile TPs.
And for any one saying "but you can de-terraform those mountains!!" sure you could. with a small army maybe. But ive already thought od ways to stop or slow that down & i doubt other people wont come up with similar ideas.

@ Gargaj: I have to strongly disagree with the statement he made on IRC that this will allow for creative use of TF. IMO allowing this would do the exact opposite. every 1 will do the exact same thing.

I have not problem with TF in any other way. But as gamma is settled this will happen more & more making island defence to not be "creative" but the same boring s**t.

And as for new corps using this to defend them selves.... you joking right? the ppl who will do this the best will be the big alliances. and they wont just do a small terraform wall. it will be a 1000m high mountain. small corps will be found & killed long b4 they manage to this.

i wonder how someone travels between his own PBS and other island if he walled in all those teleports.
its easy to get out with a beacon - but how do you get back in?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

i wonder how someone travels between his own PBS and other island if he walled in all those teleports.
its easy to get out with a beacon - but how do you get back in?

Same way or just have an alt there ready to module TF a spot in the wall.

I thought about this too, having an alt sit at a 'door', to raise and lower the terrain. But if it was that easy, than a roaming party could also just have a trial account alt rolling along with them, and open your door just as easily.

@obi "it will effect massively new small corps trying to get onto gamma & solo ppl that enjoy ninja roaming"

Ninja roaming is exactly what I'm talking about, that's for beta. Unlike beta, any enemy that gains access to your interior can do damage to your infrastructure. Its a terminology thing, Roam to me is a single or small group going out looking for targets. Any size force, with a designated target, fitted and composed specifically for that goal is a Sortie. Gamma islands mechanics should not encourage random target roaming, they should be able to prevent it. They should however be vulnerable to directed attacks, like bringing plasma bombs and TF modules to get through barriers.

But, I don't think barricading the Teleports is going to end up being a good idea.

Also, small and new corps on gamma? Not going to happen.

The world isn't that large, and there are going to be Sortie's carried out against bases. A new corp (of new players) may be able to sneak in and build something, but they won't be able to sustain it. A small corp, with resources, may be able to replace lost structures, but without proper player defense, turrets will eventually be insuffcient, and they'll lose their main terminal. With that threat, the logistics of continually moving things in and out will burn them out.

Of course, all of that is predicated on an increase in population. Because again, if there's 24 Islands and 100 players online, 5 people isn't small, its average sized.

16 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-15 17:52:32)

Arga wrote:

I thought about this too, having an alt sit at a 'door', to raise and lower the terrain. But if it was that easy, than a roaming party could also just have a trial account alt rolling along with them, and open your door just as easily.

@ DEVS

If a corp has a structure within 1k of a wall can someone else TF there?

Let me ask in a different way.

Are there any limits to TF?

I would think if a corp claimed an area with any structure the area around that structure could only be TF by the owning corp.

17 (edited by Arga 2012-05-15 17:59:04)

I believe that is true, but you also can't put a stucture down near the TP.

This was more of the situation where a corp TF's around the TP to prevent ingress to the island interior.

Creating a door around your base makes more sense, and in general Sortie parties will come equipped with TF modules for sure though.

OK. Think about this.

If an enemy can't TF within 1000m of your structures, and you have it TF'd to be impassable @ 999m, how would anyone be able to attack your structures? Assuming you also put the structures out of LOS from that range (TF a large wall, or sink the sturctures).

18 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-15 19:29:23)

Arga wrote:

I believe that is true, but you also can't put a stucture down near the TP.

This was more of the situation where a corp TF's around the TP to prevent ingress to the island interior.

Creating a door around your base makes more sense, and in general Sortie parties will come equipped with TF modules for sure though.

OK. Think about this.

If an enemy can't TF within 1000m of your structures, and you have it TF'd to be impassable @ 999m, how would anyone be able to attack your structures? Assuming you also put the structures out of LOS from that range (TF a large wall, or sink the sturctures).

Oh trust me I see the problem. I was asking the question to find out if they just have not finished that part of development or did they not think about it.

Not saying my thinking in my post above is correct thinking.

The way I see it: barricading yourself away from the world will take exactly as much effort as tearing down those walls. And if you do it, you'll make it quite hard for yourself to get in new resources.

My hunch is that yes, there may be some cases where people close down teleports with terraforming, and in turn others will dig a hole in the wall, but this back and forth digging will eventually become a simple nuisance requiring too much effort on both sides, and they will just stop doing it.

its a catch 22

The enemy needs to be able to TF to get to your base, but if they can TF, then they can grief you with it.

Or, they can negate your defenses by TFing around your turrets, or a running LOS barrier.

So, if the enemy can TF, it makes complex TF setups useless, since they can probably be negated with a few raise/lower cycles. And certainly if the attackers have hmch indy bots with them.

Zoom, I agree about the TP. The arising issue seems to be more around the base and defenses.

personally, i would simply place a turret on the left and right side of that wall. come terraforming? try to survive the bombardment.

whats the minimum distance for defense turrets from teleporter? And what prevents me to make the terrain around the teleport perfect for that?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

23 (edited by Arga 2012-05-15 20:02:19)

There's nothing stopping the attacking force from reterraforming around the TP, to make it not-perfect for turrets. Basically you can raise a buttress wall, working from behind it LOS, and simply by pass them.

Again, this isn't an issue with stopping a random roam, that part is good. This is about protecting your base from Sorties and destruction.

What's probably going to happen, is the devs just let it go with being able to TF any where, by anyone, and eventually they'll just be a single raised area for the bases, without any complex trenches or burms.

Edit: Actually, more likely that only corps with a solid 24/7 presence will be able to keep a gamma outpost active.

Arga wrote:

Edit: Actually, more likely that only corps with a solid 24/7 presence will be able to keep a gamma outpost active.

I don't see that happening first you will need to take down all control towers, then there is 3 days invulnerable period for main terminal giving you plenty of time to defend setting at your chosen time.

RIP PERPETUUM

C -

Its a more a matter of attrition.

After a point, continually hauling PBS structures out and constructing them, will trigger a slew of posts about 'Gamma - Not worth the effort', as corps can't get or keep factories, refining, and other services online overnight.

Conceptually, what I'm saying, is PBS is totally unlike beta, where you know when the SAP is and that's all the more actvity is needed for defense. And even then, players are *** about having to 'stand around' for an hour. In off-time zones, 1 or 2 semi-AFK players aren't going to be able to stop a force from coming in and doing damage, and without set SAP times, you can't alarm clock defense.

Corps are going to try it. And if they have enough allies, they may survive for awhile, but the more goodies they deploy, the bigger target they'll become.