26 (edited by Blackomen 2012-05-22 08:34:43)

Re: May 30th release - People's thoughts

Alexadar wrote:

Blackomen u back \0/

on topic:
PBS system is a very complicated and complex set of tools, what will work only in a server with a big population, whats obvious when you look at the buildings, especially turrets, parameters like HP, cost and damage. Else: is a details.

Yup I'm back again, like stEVE, this kind of game keeps drawing me back.

As to your post, I just don't get why people think it would really work better with thousands of players. Let's take a hypothetical scenario where a fully built PBS with say 100 defenders comes under attack by 200 attackers. (This would be normal as attackers always attack during opportune times.) Now those turrets would kill several attackers without a doubt in quantity, but they would be pretty much vaporized when the masses get in range, as they can't move, take cover, etc. After only a few seconds you'd end up with say 90 defenders and 170 attackers. (I'm totally guesstimating here.)

Now the turrets gave the defenders an edge certainly. But now they are all gone, and the attackers overwhelm and drive back or destroy the defenders. At this point the attackers simply go through the entire PBS and incinerate every single thing, say 100's of structures in a matter of "minutes" with current armor levels. Finnaly when the tables are turned and the defenders get the masses online to repel the attackers, the entire PBS has been removed, the defenders no longer have any factories/refineries/etc left, the enemy has terraformed giant swastikas and *** all over the terrain, and the terminal is in reinforced. And to top it off, the attackers have all gone home. What happens now? Rebuilt all that? *** no. The defenders now go and do the same thing to the former attackers.

The next day, there are no longer any PBS left, and everyone has moved back to beta seeing that the whole system is rather silly. Now do I know for a "fact" this will happen? No, as there hasn't been a real test of this yet, my assumptions are purely based on a few small scale tests and raw numbers of the PBS structures and their construction paper foundations.

To put this simply as I can, I want to see "ALL" structures increased by a factor of 100 or more in terms of armor. And also by similar numbers in terms of cost to build. What does this change? It simply prevents entire PBS's from going up in smoke in a matter of hours during a corp/alliances downtime. (No matter HOW large a corp/alliance gets, it will always have a weak time of the day/week, where the fewest number of players will be on.) I just want to see massive structures work like a massive structure should.

With the system being the way it is atm, I wouldn't build a PBS, I'd simply assemble a massive army, and farm PBS's all day instead of npcs. We'd get both pvp and massive loot.

And sorry Ville, I tend to write a whole lot. I recommend twitter and not forums if you don't long posts. tongue

Oldest player still in the game. Perpetuum for life.
Original Founder of M2S, may it rest in peace. sad
"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."
-Shoutout to "Stranger Danger" for the "potato" comment.

Blackomen wrote:

Valid Argument

200 vs 100.....  Again "Human Element"

Step A) Terraformed base forcing players to funnel in.
Step B) These funneled enamies are now so close there interference is maxed
- This now lowers there detection being unable to even see the 100 players at even 1000m and not seeing the turrets until they are already locking them to fire
-On top of being blind these players are now dealing with 40s+ Locking times in order to counteract something opening fire on them blindly as they cannot see at there normal distances.
Step C) Watch explosions chain melt the entire fleet
Step D) Loot entire 200 man siege

Day 2
They reform
They show up 150 strong with 30 dedicated terraformers and begin counter terraforming there way in to prevent interference of such a large fleet.
Once they hit 1000m from the base (roughly 200m out form automated turrets) they are now easily within ECM range and thus proper disruption of there terraformers is possible. Should they attempt becons any decent gropho could pop them safely from there OP.

Now this requires proper fitting and use of tactics and organization something i would expect from a colony or dedicated PvPer's.

I fully expect a valid retorht to be that players are unable to play at this level but i for one have been striving always play at that level and as such do not see a reason to nerf or buff things based off the simple fact that the bulk of people are either to lazy to utilize every tool in there tool belt or do something besides blindly rush in firing with dps tuners.

I do recall a specific event where a single player was able to out tank 12 player mechs utilizing 1 mk 2 mech for over a hour and a half (memory serves me correct) until back up arrived to finally whipe the whole fleet. During this engagement 6 of the 12 died and refit but all whiped in the end.

Contrary to popular belief during this phase there was a 5 min window where that player would have died. This window was made possible by the sheer lazyness of the two tyrannos who swapped targets to the kain coming to his aid but left there 4 neuts running. Thus with out any direct fire from the 12 bots the 4 neuts quickly emptied his accumulator pool. However running off after the kain enabled him to hide until it recharged and re-engage after the kain fell.

Yet this whole fight would have been over in 3 mins at the start had they simply held there fire until he was empty.

*Slight rant over balance changes due to "Human element"*

Flipside a defender could kill them selfs with interference as well... it is a double edged sword.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Althought the principle of being on Gamma fulltime in order to defend your base is nice, I think some degree of "absent defence" is needed.  The turrets should be powerful enough for them to hold off a moderate force for at least a few hours. Even in EVE with 30-40k players online you still have attacks that take place during your timezone on an enemy who is largely not online because it's not his. In Perp we had/have the same thing, and I never see this changing no matter what the population is. It should require a great investment to build and maintain a Gamma island base, and it should require a decent investment to tear it down (provided it's built intelligently)

29 (edited by Arga 2012-05-22 17:55:33)

Blackomen wrote:

At this point the attackers simply go through the entire PBS and incinerate every single thing, say 100's of structures in a matter of "minutes" with current armor levels.

Just a note, all foundation structures go into lockdown as long as they are connected to the main terminal. The most this fleet could destroy in one visit are the power and control structures, the factory upgrades, and the nexus.

So, losing a battle like this (assuming they can overcome the interferrence and what not that Lemon brought up) will be an expensive loss. But it won't be as bad as your presenting it.

But that would be an awesome battle wouldn't it!?!? And your forgetting that the 100 defenders can undock as many times as they have bots, while the aggressor is going to have a significant delay in getting new troops to the battle (that's assuming they are using multiple inter-island TP's too).

Your scenerio is more likely going to need 500 attackers (with waves of attacks, reserves, ect) versus 100 defenders to get through the front lines, and the battle won't be over until they really are under the outpost, at which time the defenders would just be throwing away bots to undock.

Defenders will have Terrain, walls, refit, reserves, and turret support. That can be a huge advantage, but 5 to 1 odds with competent field commanding, should win.

Edit: Oh, and you have a good point about terrorism based TF on the enemy base, but I have spent alot of time on the test server, so the counter to that is fairly easy.

When you terraform your base using TF beacons, you have to create a terraforming file, the larger the sq meters the file covers, the more expensive it is to create, and there is a recurring fee to keep the file active. However, a med size file isn't very expensive, so it can be maintained and shared (sharing doesn't work on the pts yet, but the button is there).

So basically, after an attack, your TF crew undocks, puts down a few TF beacons, loads the file, and then start pumping charges into it. It will take time, but the effort to recover your terrain to it's original start is minimal.

Technically, too, you could design your defenses to allow placement of TF beacons near the front line, and continually counter the attackers single tile efforts to TF into your base.

30 (edited by Sundial 2012-05-22 18:03:47)

Agree with blackomen on this one. Turrets should not be disposable like T1 assault bots... Make them many times more expensive and many times more resilient to fire.

I dont want to setup a POS that feels "disposable". If I wanted a disposable base I would live on beta and put up walls. The fact that killing your main terminal drops all the loot would infer defenses would be balanced around not being disposable as what they are defending is far from it. But here we are 1 week before launch...

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

31 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-22 18:31:47)

Sundial wrote:

Agree with blackomen on this one. Turrets should not be disposable like T1 assault bots... Make them many times more expensive and many times more resilient to fire.

I dont want to setup a POS that feels "disposable". If I wanted a disposable base I would live on beta and put up walls. The fact that killing your main terminal drops all the loot would infer defenses would be balanced around not being disposable as what they are defending is far from it. But here we are 1 week before launch...

+100 there are gonna be tears if it remains the way it is with structures having very low HP, players will try and later they are not going to bother with gamma, mark my words.

RIP PERPETUUM

I'm not trying to say that the current offense/defense capabilities of the turrets is truely balanced.

However, it's probably good enough to launch with and see.

In general, the question is ultimately going to be

"How big does a corp have to be, to colonize a gamma island?"

The fact that there are turrets in the game AT ALL, means the devs realize that some off tz protection is required, which is also why they changed their minds a couple times on how the terminal protection would work too (it was at one time going to be just straight Armor, with no timer).

Arga wrote:

"How big does a corp have to be, to colonize a gamma island?"

It should start with small corps, then build up when there are more players. Basically having more HP than needed and work your way down to balance, not the other way around, because if there are no gamma defenders there ain't going to be any PVP in gamma anyways.

Let us, the players build up gamma knowing structures are relatively safe for the mean time. When the attackers whine then we can start talking about over powered structures.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Let us, the players build up gamma knowing structures are relatively safe for the mean time. When the attackers whine then we can start talking about over powered structures.

Waaait?

This seems like it would cause more qq in the long run, if corps put in 100's of hours and billions of NIC developing a gamma colony, and they are significantly under powered to support it, but the mechanics basically make the colony safe. Once those safeguards are removed, the colony is going to get destroyed in the minimal amount of time needed.

If gamma islands are difficult to hold with small corps, then corps CAN and HAVE allied together to accomplish goals.

Yes, with the population this low, it could end up being only 2 factions out on gamma. But as the population grows, some corps will also grow, and be able to split off, and then we'll have more factions on gamma.

Simply put, why should the devs change the game mechanics to allow small corps to create and hold a gamma outpost, when they have it in their (players) power to overcome that problem (by joining forces) without their help?

tl;dr - The game seems to hard, so people won't play it. Make it minecraft on peacful mode please.

35 (edited by Sundial 2012-05-22 19:43:13)

It should be a hassle to kill a POS no matter the defenses / teraforming. No matter how much thought has been put into its defenses. No matter how "SUPER ELITE (tm)" the players who set it up are.

It should be possible to kill but it needs to be time consuming enough that people won't just run around farming outposts owned by small corps for their loot.

Saying "You have to be X size and has to have X super elite defenses else your outpost will be farmed" is not going to help the game grow at all.

If PBS is a "hassle to kill", but doesn't need any players to create 'hassle', then we get a situation just like beta.

How fun are SAP's currently? If 30 players show up at a sap for fun, defenders just stay docked up, because there's no real loss going from 100 to 85%.

If attackers show up with 3 players, 30 undock, again no fun.

To make Gamma different from Beta, there needs to be a reason for players to undock and defend, even if they are outnumbered. And the auto-matted defenses are there to help balance those numbers out.

If corps don't want the trouble of having a colony, they can just take a beta outpost instead, those aren't going away.

Gamma/Beta is not about fun. The hassle has to be there because the implications of having your structure destroyed are huge.

Saying you must be so big and so elite to enter just excludes smaller corps from setting up camp there and growing.

This particular attitude is not going to help the game grow into gamma at all, it just establishes veteran power blocks as being the only ones who can operate out of gamma without having their outpost farmed for loot.

38 (edited by Lemon 2012-05-22 20:03:20)

Sundial wrote:

It should be a hassle to kill a POS no matter the defenses / teraforming. No matter how much thought has been put into its defenses. No matter how "SUPER ELITE (tm)" the players who set it up are.

It should be possible to kill but it needs to be time consuming enough that people won't just run around farming outposts owned by small corps for their loot.

Saying "You have to be X size and has to have X super elite defenses else your outpost will be farmed" is not going to help the game grow at all.

*cough* *cough* maybe if a certain someone spent more time testing with me instead of eve that statement may have been different. It is PBS not PoS and the new term  is "Colony" tongue

No it shouldn't take a genius or the best player in game to have a successful establishment, however everyone and there mother shouldn't be able to go whip a settlement up and be able to not put any thought or effort in to it and expect it to be impervious to anything short of a massive siege.

- Allow me to recap and summarize what has been formed here.

A) - A portion of the player bases wishes to be able to ignore there pbs with out any player support and it still be there.

B) -Another portion believes that pbs's should require player assistance to be a full well rounded roam proof system impervious to anything short of a seige.

Solution? Group A go live on Beta and set up mining outposts to go gather as you obviously don't want to be bothered to maintain your settlement and can go to sleep knowing your beta terminal will  still be there untouched in the morning. (you may lose a factory level or 2 maybe a aura now and then, but your assets are safe!)

Group B- Go to Gamma and establish a full colony and dig in for the long haul.

but remember folks this is where we are discussing this from a conceptual point of view how as a broad idea it should be. If you are looking for more specific details please refer to the appropriate sub thread. (i.e. Structure HP/e-war tuning/terraforming ext)

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

39 (edited by Sundial 2012-05-22 20:06:03)

I agree, determined players should be able to kill something if no players are present defending.

The question here is "how many and how long" should it take to kill average Joe small corps outpost?

I think with current turret EHP average joes settlement may be a little too vulnerable currently. How can we balance this for the low end and the high end at the same time while keeping a high level of ballance? Because this is what needs to happen.

40 (edited by Lemon 2012-05-22 20:18:40)

That is being talked about here

Which there is no static value as it has to be balanced around the player population with a standard for the "time required" as time is directly proportionate to the number of players present.

Edit for your edit- They live in beta until they can afford it?

Undefeated 2013

Sundial wrote:

I agree, determined players should be able to kill something if no players are present defending.

The question here is "how many and how long" should it take to kill average Joe small corps outpost?

Lets say Joe pays a merc corp to protect them while they setup a terminal.

Now, we don't know how much those terminals cost, but rough estimate (based on PTS materials list) is about 250m NIC.

Joe small corp is going to need at least 500m NIC of 'disposable' income to even be able to afford to start the smallest of bases.

Once that terminal is down and constructed, it can't be killed for 3 days. It simply can't take any more than 50% damage, so the amount of starting health doesn't even matter.

The outpost will then become vulnerable again after 3 days. In the mean time, the corp can put down a reactor, which ALSO can not be destroyed in 1 attack; it too will go immune at 50%, as long as it's connected to the main terminal.

This is with no turrets, no power relays, nothing.

Everyone keeps jumping ahead to turrets, factory's, ect. But the reality is here, if Joe can't keep his even his terminal from being destroyed in the first 3 days, then there is no "Stage 2".

So, the short answer is mostly:

Joe small corp wont even be able to afford to put a foothold on gamma, let alone build an network of power relays and command node to power and control turrets.

Not to mention that you have to TF all that land first.

So. Yes. Gamma is for Vet corps, not for joe small/new corp.

42 (edited by Blackomen 2012-05-23 01:36:32)

I'm rather confused here, I believe I was told Arga and Lemon are the same person behind both accounts. If that's true, you don't need to post with both to seem like more people agree with you. Your opinion alone is worth noting. If that's not true, then sorry, but I swear arga told me he was his alt. (May be mixing up names.) In which case I goofed up who is who.

Back on topic, well it seems we all have the facts down, and now it's simply down to personal opinion. Myself/Sundial/Kari and others believe POS's/PBS's/Colonies/Cathedral sized money pits/etc should be very strong/hard targets by themselves even when no one is home, and should require a well organized assault to take down with just the turrets defending.

Lemon/Arga and umm... think there was someone else, believe that these colonies should be manned and maintained 24/7 by at least a few players or else fall to ruin by small roaming albeit well organized groups. (At least this is what I took from it.)

Obviously I'm biased on which I want, but I doubt we can convince one another that we're right at this point via conversation at least. What I think we need is an actual mass scale test of some of this on the test server rather than our largely theorycrafting and small scale tests. It won't answer everything, but should help some in balancing. Though I I do expect we'll all have the same personal design preferences after it anyway. Comes down to what the devs want at this point. Someone here will not be getting what they want.

I truly believe if we have bases like they exist now, noone will have a Gamma colony after a month in launch. It just won't be worth it to replace it every day. And I at least intend to raid like theirs no tomorrow to prove it after launch.

"Hungarian Math" is defined by the dictionary as "Just like normal math, but where each equation ends by dividing the sum by Potato."

I have 5 accounts, and oddly enough, they all do agree with me. But none of them are named Lemon wink

I'm all for a concentrated server test, however...

While we talk about general strategy and counters, there's very little chance that Lemon and I will build a replica of our base on the test server. Nor is it likely that we'll attack 'all out' with the counters to those designs.

So, while I will certainly participate in an organized server test, I doubt that it will answer any the question definitively; if we succeed in taking the base, was it by poor layout, and if we fail to take the base, was it due to poor or incomplete execution.

In all though, I agree with your assesment of the two general sides.

I also agree with your statement about not having gamma colonies, however I disagree with the reason being cardboard modules. It will be because corps can't evolve to form new entities, powerful enough to hold gamma.

44 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-05-23 02:11:00)

Sundial wrote:

Gamma/Beta is not about fun. The hassle has to be there because the implications of having your structure destroyed are huge.

Saying you must be so big and so elite to enter just excludes smaller corps from setting up camp there and growing.

This particular attitude is not going to help the game grow into gamma at all, it just establishes veteran power blocks as being the only ones who can operate out of gamma without having their outpost farmed for loot.

Exactly.  Which is why it is critical that there is sufficient balance to allow small entities a reasonable chance to be able to defend their investment.  Dispite the fact that this thread was created for the purpose of giving the devs an overview of release readiness from the community (see op) and not as a debate thread, some valid points have been made.  Too hard to defend, and only multitime zone power blocks will be able to defend their assets, and absolute chaos every time the majority of ppl in a corp or alliance have logged for the day.  To hard to assault and it becomes a static environment of "fortress of solitudes" spattered across the landscapes.

The fact that unsubstantiated opinion and theory crafting ( plus rather poorly disguised ad hominem attacks and references to unrelated issues long in the past) is driving much of the debates is the very issue the devs need to be aware of.  Blackomen has correctly pointed out, that a mass scale test for several days needs to be performed.  However, with the "pvp by permission" only stance on the test server limits any factual and objective testing, due to individuals with a vested interest in driving the mechanics for their own benefit or their enemy's detriment, will skew the results to try to manipulate the devs to their favor.  Alot of claims have been made, lets see it tested for a few days aggressively by anyone and everyone on the test server, and see if they play out as stated.

The objective is balanced game play, and the only way that can be done is with objective data, and not rhetoric.  It's not about what is or is not personally beneficial to individuals or groups, nor about epeen or winning an arguement.  It's about providing comprehensive, objective, and factual data, and combining it with experience and knowledge, to forge effective and balanced gameplay.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

I just wanted to add, that I'm not opposed to changing armor, range, or anything else. I just don't think that it will matter.

If players go into gamma with the expectation that the colony will simply be there untouched every evening when they log back in, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

@lupus

There are no active turrets at the base I built. I'm not going to build my base on PTS like I would on live.

Eharm will come attack your base on PTS if you want, while your not there, but I'm not sure what that will really accomplish? Also, my combat toons have 300k more ep on them than on the live server, and they are fit with T4+; the modules I could swap out, but I can't undo the EP.

Arga wrote:

I have 5 accounts, and oddly enough, they all do agree with me. But none of them are named Lemon wink

I also agree with your statement about not having gamma colonies, however I disagree with the reason being cardboard modules. It will be because corps can't evolve to form new entities, powerful enough to hold gamma.

My bad then, must have confused who Lemon's alt was.

And I guess we'll just have to let things unfold to find out. Hope we're both wrong and it turns out awesome day 1. tongue

47 (edited by Alexadar 2012-05-23 09:20:16)

Blackomen wrote:

As to your post, I just don't get why people think it would really work better with thousands of players.

My assumption based on turret properties: relatively cheap, powerful, and with a good support of repairers, boosters and energy nodes, a row of turrets is a hard task for a full squad (20 ppl). Again, why 20: the average number of bots, what will not emit much interference to hurt each other.

Edit: and i thinks its a very good - this will make a room for a large battles and high population.

Nice post,but there are lot of question and thinking here.
All of you forget one BIG thing in all story!

TRANSPORT big_smile

First of all take closer look on map and u will see that you will not  be able to take gamma island if u dont have beta,so if u control beta or first gamma you have everything(almost)!
This will be good if u have like in eve 100 players online in one alliance @ every timezone. tongue.

Everything is good so far,except logistics!

If u ever do jump freither run in eve you are clear with one thing, we need here scarab who can jump.
In perpetuum we need desperately balance and new bots for transport.

*Palette of bots are just too small and way too expensive atm,and acording to my intel it will be even more expensive sad.
**You can always take look on eve (5 t1 ships for hauling,than 2x t2 fast clocky ships, then orca,freither and jf as ultimative ship for logistics).

GUYS,
in eve i am making logistics from jita to tenal (region) in jf in 10min in one way(i have cal 5 and 5 mid-points to my final dest)! Who dont belive i can show him big_smile.
And that is what we need here.
What i want to say here is that we need lot of balance for gamma that we doesnt have now!
Put focus on making nik nad building advanced stuff and finally pvp,and not transport!

DEVS from Pesta, I expect that u answer on next question:
Are u planning soon implment in game bot as jump freither? And if u not why not?
The most important thin on gamma will be logistic m8s. And scarab is rofl bot for this kind of job!

I dont know why but i see if u leave gamma like that game will be unplayble(you are close).

Ok this is sandbox,but fu** that kind of sandbox.
If u want sandbox give me option to create island and put teleporters/station where i want,what you say about that sandbox?

Rabuso
I think that market would be distributed between terminal, instead of one trade hub. Even in beta terminals, cos beta terminals are in the middle of gamma - alpha route. Wanna fast travel: buy teleport capsules. For gamma corp to buy a scarab of teleports would not be a big deal. So nothing to worry about.

So, RG decided to have some Non-consentual PVP last night, and attacked our base on the PTS.

Being a totally undefended base, with no defensive terraforming, turrets, or actively defending players, one player with multiple accounts simply walked up and started blowing stuff up.

He either got bored or ran out of missles, since he didn't actually destroy all the targets. I would say he had to stand there at least 15 mins, which if we had wanted to, was enough time to rouse a defense. But since its the PTS, and we didn't want to PVP, we didn't bother. Had this been a real emergency, beacons, turrets, and players would have undocked, making this outcome less likely.

But all he was able to actually destroy where the energy relays, some factory upgrades, and a miner module I had strung out to a remote field.

All (7) expensive service foundations, the expensive reactors, and the terminal simply went into shut down mode.

It's hard to guess, because prices aren't fixed, but it was maybe 60m NIC worth of damage; but the base itself is still standing.

The base 'layout' is still saved in a file also, so all I need to do to fix it is undock in a scarab and redeploy the 6 or so things he blew up.

The point is, corps need to have spare modules available to rebuild after attacks. Its simple and at no time was the base actually in danger.

Double the armor of everything again. Doesn't matter, except to make players stand there longer at undefended bases and maybe run out of ammo. But do we need 'small cargo' to be listed along with turrets as one of our defenses?