Re: Terraforming

I really hope this isn't going to turn out the way I think it is....... Hands going in mouth so as to come out of a$$ in near future.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Arga,

I do understand the main purpose of turrets. However, main problem is - with or without terraforming restrictions, there is a lots of exploits with it.

Just 2 ppl - a good scout and a good terraformer - can mess your base completely and easy enough. Ofc, yuo can (and actually did) say that there is always should be someone on the base to protect it etc... But then, why do we need automatic defence systems at all? Why not change turrets with, says, semi-building defence turret bot? That will be even more fun - drive it to a liked place, deploy, connect to an energy network and entertain yourself big_smile

tl;dr: terraforming restrictions doesn't solve problems, just one part of them. There is too much "if".

If your building your base defense like i have seen many turret emplacements on PTS now - then your just doomed to lose your PBS.

and if i see that correct - the PTS terraforming is accelerated atm -> when it goes life it will be ultra slow. Doing your dirt-wall tactic will take hours.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

Today's server-side patch:

The terraform beacon should now properly follow the plan, and we have also reduced the accumulator usage of the charger module for testing purposes.

Account validity has been synced from the live server.

terraform beacon charger module still requires 350 ap per cycle and sucks any bot dry within a few seconds

Industrial Sector wrote:

Arga,

I do understand the main purpose of turrets. However, main problem is - with or without terraforming restrictions, there is a lots of exploits with it.

I'm not sure I understand your use of exploit here. Having a lot of ways to defeat turrets, using game mechanics, is actually a good thing; it breeds inovation in deployment and combining different defensive elements to close the vulnerabilities. As well as attacker developing new ploys to defeat them.

If they are actually exploitable, either offensivly or defensively, those are things we need to uncover on the test server. To my knowledge though, no one has actually scrimaged a defended outpost yet.

It seems there is TOO MUCH ways to defeat turrets. They can be outranged, supressed, ECM'ed, drained/neuted, terraformed out. As Anni says, their only usage is hardly linked with terraforming, and even that doesn't counter all the defeating possibilities. Well, that's ok actually, I just hope they will be not too expensive on real server.

Also yes - can someone confirm that terraforming is accelerated on test server, and if so, how much times aprox.?

82 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-05-18 02:05:49)

The reason I brought up the fact of no one other than the corp that owned a pbs structure could terraform within 1000m of that structure was due to the ablity to create unassailable fortifications around the teleports on the gamma islands.  This would have allowed an alliance to completely seal off an island from access from any of the inter-island teleports, with no possible counter.  This would created a rather static, and dull, gamma island environment.

However, there is another way to do this:
- within 1000m of a terminal, no other corp other than the terminal owner can terraform.
- terminals must be deployed 3000m minimum from any teleport
- no one can terraform within 1000m of a teleport

This would result in:
- no one being permanently able to seal the island off.
- the immediate area of the pbs base being terraform controlled by the controlling corp
- a minimum of 1000 meters between the 2 zones that anyone can do anything.
- since it would be measured from the terminal only, and all the pbs that have to be deployed taking up space, and turrets mostly being on the edges of a base, then offensive seigeworks, like ditches and embankments, are still viable for use. Or for that matter, terraforming a ramp that ends up higher than the defender's base an fireing down with snipers...

Anyhow, i'm sure everyone and their dog is going to find all sorts of things wrong with the above, but at least it may be a possible way to balance terraforming, pbs control, and island access.  If you have a better solution, give it, if all you have is whining and criticism, just don't bother.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

THIS ^

Herpus Derpus wrote:

terraform beacon charger module still requires 350 ap per cycle and sucks any bot dry within a few seconds

+0.75 to lupus idea. Only downside is that it will be possible to create impregnable turtle bases.

Because the voices told me to do it.

As Saramara says, the issue isn't really about teleports, but the fact that noone else but the owner corp would be able to terraform in a 1000m radius of their terminal. And this isn't a small downside, it would be a big problem. They could simply erect a wall around their base and relatively quickly open&close a small "door" whenever they want to get in or out. There would be no way to counter this other than waiting for them to come out at the wall 24/7.

87 (edited by Karism 2012-05-18 17:37:15)

Would it be possible to make a mechanic involving pathfinding that can tell if the area from Terminal -> outside the terraforming control is blocked?

It would restrict placement of walls/etc and terraforming along the paths until a new path had been made, or something.

Something like this http://i.imgur.com/OjcDJ.jpg

Just an idea.

How about terraforming height limit in that 1000m radius based on current terminal foundation height?

How about some kind of mechanics that doesn't allow to create any area surrounded by impassable terrain forcing ppl to leave a passable way? Like O - no, nevah! but C - ye thats it? As an additional to this - can we have some kind of structure that can work as gates and destroyable?

Problem at hand: Bases on defense will want to not allow enemy to terraform in the base or around the base.  Enemys on assault will want to be able to terraform near the base to disrupt the enemys defensive perimeter.

Solution is to allow all to terraform on an island anywhere they like... +
Once a base is placed allow slide bar function like beta terminals that slow the terraforming mod cycle time of those on the bad list. So I hop on to M2S island go with in 3000m of their station and notice I have perma terraforming debuff because of my relations to them. This means that they will terraform twice as fast as me on this part of the island. This will allow for great walls to be made but also make them reversable, for a determined group.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

90 (edited by Annihilator 2012-05-18 14:06:27)

solution would be dropships and carrier - making those ultra-slow glider transporter into something that could pass any terrain.

artifical terraforming restrictions will never work.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

As Saramara says, the issue isn't really about teleports, but the fact that noone else but the owner corp would be able to terraform in a 1000m radius of their terminal. And this isn't a small downside, it would be a big problem. They could simply erect a wall around their base and relatively quickly open&close a small "door" whenever they want to get in or out. There would be no way to counter this other than waiting for them to come out at the wall 24/7.

we have bots that can shoot further than 1000m, so the enemy just have to make a big enough ramp outside that 1000m area to rain fire upon their buildings, then the fortress arent so safe.

or as i already have suggested:

Grond wrote:

im thinking a that if u want to terraform within 1000m of a pbs thats not ur own ud need to deploy some kind of beacon, that makes u able to terraform in like a 200m radius and it takes 10min to deploy. and the turrets and players should be able to shoot them.

this way its just not easy for a enemy to terraform around ur base but its still possible.

92 (edited by Karism 2012-05-18 17:36:38)

Ok, a second, probably easier to implement idea.

In order to activate terraforming control for yourself within 1000m of an outpost, you must build a road (would require new "stuff"), it has to be at least 1 tiles wide and extend to 1000m from your terminal, walls, buidlings and plants cannot be place/grow on here, you need to place the terminal down first, and the road can be transfered to a new terminal as long as it is connected.

3 new "things"

Road layer module

Road layer chargers (sold by npcs for 50k nic a piece)

Road repair charges (much cheaper than the road charges, repair x amount of health to a road tile)

Road can be place on tiles which are passable for every bot type, they give a +[Something]kph speed boost while on them, they cannot be shot, or blow up with bombs, but they do degrade like walls do (much faster if the terminal it was around is destroyed/removed and the limit/effect disappears, and they degrade 20x faster), they show up as a "concrete flooring" like effect that is already in game.

These tiles would act as a single entity in terms of control, the owning corp can set was relation can recieve the buff, maybe make them "powered" by your energy network via a reciever node.

You cannot build roads within 1000m of another teminal, and only 1500m from your own.

Another corp cannot build a terminal within 1500m of yours

Quick example : http://i.imgur.com/NTGcJ.jpg

Next problem, how to stop long range bots from easily destroying your base/turrets/buildings from afar.

DEV Zoom wrote:

There are a lot of troubles with free for all TF as well.
some have mentioned that turrets are obsolete because they can just be blocked with TF walls.
theres also the notion of locking people out of their outpost with a TF wall around it, the undock places you a good distance away and it's possible to wall it off so you cant get back in after undocking.
additionally, the turrets being static will have trouble defending without the ability of the defender to have some reasonable control over terrain and paths of approach for the enemy.

the TF restriction around PBS is what prevented these things..

I'd propose a simple solution to this.
Leave the friendly only TF restriction for everything except smoother charges.
this way the attackers will not be able to make major changes to the terrain and grief horribly, but they will still have a way to defeat TF walls.

Karism wrote:

Would it be possible to make a mechanic involving pathfinding that can tell if the area from Terminal -> outside the terraforming control is blocked?

It would restricted placement of walls/etc and terraforming along the paths until a new patch had been made, or something.

Something like this http://i.imgur.com/OjcDJ.jpg

Just an idea.

an interesting idea here, i was thinking something similar last night.

I would say you run a check from teleports and outposts.
Each teleport must be able to reach every other teleport via passable terrain
each outpost must be able to reach every teleport via passable terrain

1: take a snapshot of terrain map
2: analyse paths between teleports and outposts
3: if it passes save the snapshot
4: if it fails do a rollback of the island's terrain to the last acceptable snapshot
     (perhaps send a broadcast message to the island's inhabitants explaining the change)
5: repeat

this process could be offloaded to not affect the server process
it could be repeated as frequently as desired / reasonable to control the amount of potential rollback.

the only concern i can think of is what happens to structures placed during period of rollback.
alternatively you could have the system flag a dev/gm to investigate and dev hax down the offending terrain.
(making it a violation to completely wall off teleports / outposts, which, honestly, should be a rule)

Maybe, it's time for advanced weaponry like artillery and aircraft?

I've spent the last week terraforming and placing down structures.

"Defeating turrerts with terraforming" is much easier to SAY than to DO.

If a base is unguarded, defeating turrets by using terraforming is less effcient then disconnecting them from the network, and tanking down their accumulator. This is a sandbox game though, so even though most attackers will NEVER use TF do defeat turrets, I think they should be allowed to fast the time and resources to do it if they want.

The ONLY restriction should be the placement of TF beacons by non-corp members within 3000m of an outpost. But not a limitation on if they can TF manually.

If the base is guarded, which it should be, attackers won't be able to spend an unlimited amount of time terraforming.

But going back unguarded...

even unguarded, attackers can not destroy your foundation buildings. you can take them down to 50%, and that's it.

they can clear out all the upgrades, backbones, ect, but until the 3 day emergency period ends, the worst an attacker can do is cost you time and NIC.

And, as long as they can't beacon TF, they'll have to spend a lot of individual time terraform/griefing your location.

But the most important thing, is devs need to DECIDE this before going live.

A lot of people liked the freedom of placing walls, the counter arguement was that beta wasn't the proper setting for that type of building, but that gamma would be.

Let gamma be that place then.

+1 to ideas like Terraform Aurua foundations though, so outpost owners that have an established base can recover from enemy terraforming quicker; but again it doesn't work with beacons. This will cut down on griefing, why spend 4 hours TF'ing an enemy base, when they can repair it in an hour.

+1 to advanced bots with better slope capacity; or make a very heavy leg module that lowers the center of gravity and increases slope capacity (and demob resist too just to make it more attractive to use).

tl;dr - This game has FFA loot, some parts (gamma) should also be FFA sandbox. If corps don't want to or can't defend an open outpost, they can still play on Beta.

Note: Just like beta outposts are now, just because players want to use them, doesn't mean they'll be able to. Trying to make gamma safe from griefing and emergent play before it even launches... hard to believe more people aren't speaking up AGAINST putting limits in. Does this mean I'm no longer a carebear!?!?!

Arga wrote:

Arga's Stuff!

No just the one who still posts as if it has weight the end result.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Oh .. smack.  smile

True though, players with the devs on Instant messanger probably get more consideration than long, eruditical posts, unless they happen to coincide with said IMs.

99 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-05-18 23:17:10)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Agreed.  However, think about this for a moment. 

So they turtle in, and if the attacker has enough numbers, they basically have control of the island at that time.  They can deploy their own pbs, raise terraformed siege works as close as they can get, 1000m, from the terminal.  And then proceed to fire down on the base with everything they have.  Defensive towers can be neuted and suppressed, repair nodes and and boosters shot, and then, heavy mechs amped and range fitted can fire down on the terminal.

What would really make this interesting would be that artillery we were promised a year ago...then you could position your artillery and lob hell down on everything.

Regardless, sealing oneself in to an op is as good as surrendering.  The enemy has full ablity to go and do as they want, you are sealed into an earth coffin, or out of it, thereby being denied access to everything there.  Given time, commitment and numbers, eventually it will fall.

There is enough complexity here and effort required to see some epic long term actions, and an attacker has to commit to that,it's not an easy goal.  Meanwhile, the defender is running out of supplies and ammo, and eventually is left with little to anything they can do if they remain in that pbs.

I'm thinking Masada all over again...

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Think about this for a moment.

If it takes a large force to crack open a turtle, and a force large enough to do so exists on the server, and that force is the 'largest' on the server, it would be undefeatable.

Your assuming only 'weak' corps would turtle their outpost, and thus be vulnerable to attack by a stronger force.

When the strongest force on the server turtles however, then their will be no way to break it. This strong force, not having to spend any resources on defense, would be free to apply 100% of their resources to offense.

And, this strong force wouldn't even have to be 24/7, they could donimate during their time zone, and be 100% safe, which is why they would turtle. And if they were strong 24/7, they would still turtle, so they wouldn't have to expend resources on defense.

All of this is assuming that they would even give other corps the chance to setup a base before crushing them, which is unlikely.

If there's no force on the server that large, then no one can be broken.

So, with the no-TF mechanic in place, either 1 strong force will dominate all of gamma, or if no dominent force emerges, they'll be static. Neither scenerio is very fun.

But, really, if a force is large enough to build a base next to someone else's and counter the turtle, then the turtle really doesn't provide any advantage to game play, so there's no reason to even allow it.

tl;dr - If you want restrictions and hand-holding game mechanics, live on beta.