1 (edited by Mephiston 2011-11-23 05:04:52)

Topic: Load-bearing frame (mod request)

I have noticed a common argument amongst hauler pilots and people out hunting in general, that they never have enough cargo space.

I have also noticed that there is a mod called Lightweight Frame, that lightens your bot and makes it faster (as well as make it a bit less protected).

Well, what i propose is this: a Load-Bearing Frame mod.

It would be basically the opposite of the lightweight frame in terms of function, however adding the addition of extra cargo space as a % per tier of the item. It would add mass to your bot, it could either leave hit points alone or slightly reduce them, and it would be limited to ONE per bot, like LWFs are, so that they arent "overpowered" or abusable. Like LWFs they would be leg slot items, and have roughly the same cpu and reactor usage per tier.

The design i propose (specifications flexible and open for discussion):

Cpu/Reactor usage: Same as LWF.
Armour hit points: 0-5% bonus, due to reinforcement of the bot frame (it's sturdier)
Demob resistance: 0-5% bonus, due to it being bulkier (harder to demobilise)

Slots: pasive/legs

Cargo space bonus: 5-10% depending on tier. The better engineered they are, the more you can store within your bot. (i.e. the higher tier, the better the bonus. 10% (T4) gives 24U to a lithus, and another 8 to a sequer, for example, at the cost of being slower, and a bit more succeptible to demob)

Mass specific penalty: 20%  Look at it like this; more shelving, more storage area, bulkier frames.. they're gonna add some weight.

Bonuses cannot be modified by any skill extensions.

Feel free to discuss or come up with better stat suggestions, but try to keep the criticism constructive or relevant, please smile

edit: increased mass penalty, switched demob penaly to a bonus, due to not understanding the theory behind demobilisation properly.

Re: Load-bearing frame (mod request)

I like the idea and generally would like for different items to be added to make some variety.

what exactly makes this different from the endless times requested "Cargo extender"-modules?

just quick search result:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … r-modules/
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … cargo-mod/

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

what exactly makes this different from the endless times requested "Cargo extender"-modules?

just quick search result:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … r-modules/
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … cargo-mod/

yes has been discussed before.
it is not that much a diffrence. more a variation of the cargo expander.

besinde your idea of 5-10% more cargo is of no big use.
what we would need it a double or tribble of the cargo volume. or even a destroyer mech transport with a lot more...

if you ever had a ore convoy then you know what we are talking about. 10% would not realy make a difference.

Not to mention, do you feel like it could be on the bot at the same time as lwf? Because the 10% increase to amount hauled vs loss of 30% speed wouldn't work. Or remember that it's not only about how much do you have in your bot, there is also the part about transporting things fast.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

6 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-23 18:40:15)

Norrdec wrote:

Not to mention, do you feel like it could be on the bot at the same time as lwf? Because the 10% increase to amount hauled vs loss of 30% speed wouldn't work. Or remember that it's not only about how much do you have in your bot, there is also the part about transporting things fast.

One trip is usually less annoying than 2 if it takes me around the same time IMO.

RIP PERPETUUM

The opposite of a lightweight frame is an armor plate. We can't do items that modify cargo space because every time it comes up, DEV Crm throws a hissy fit. We'll introduce a freighter bot in the next patch (most probably).

And there's the rub.

Cargo expanders are really only useful when they 'save' 1 or more trips.

Meaning if you have 241 U's of stuff to move, an expander is fantastic.

If you have 470 U's, you're still going to have to make (2) trips, and you wouldn't use the expander because it would just make the trips slower for no reason; why haul 268 U 10% slower.

If you have 10,000 U's to move - now it depends on how far you have to move, because 1000 U's extra would save you 4 trips, but having to make 19 trips at 10% reduced speed could actually take longer than those 4 trips.

tl;dr - % based Expanders with speed reduction are either highly 'situational' (aka Useless) or mandatory (aka OP).

9 (edited by Arga 2011-11-23 20:16:15)

DEV Calvin wrote:

The opposite of a lightweight frame is an armor plate. We can't do items that modify cargo space because every time it comes up, DEV Crm throws a hissy fit. We'll introduce a freighter bot in the next patch (most probably).

*hugs @ CRM*

Just the idea of trying to balance a cargo expander gives me the willies.

Edit: Freighter bot... Woo to the T; woot

DEV Calvin wrote:

We'll introduce a freighter bot in the next patch (most probably).

Ill make your babys....NOW...Yes NOW.

Thank You

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

DEV Calvin wrote:

We'll introduce a freighter bot in the next patch (most probably).

OMG OMG OMG OMG *screams like a school girl at a justin bieber concert*

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Please-please don't make it looks like an another tower!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Dont worry, it wont be a tower, it will be  a skyscraper now.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

14 (edited by Syrissa 2011-11-24 13:56:43)

Norrdec wrote:

Dont worry, it wont be a tower, it will be  a skyscraper now.

with a big sphere and an antenna on the top pls... lol

No mention in blog about this, they are saving the details as a surprise!