1 (edited by Evolution 2011-03-01 03:21:22)

Topic: Cargo Capacity Extender Modules

I think this was already requested, but some modules that will raise in percentage the quantity of cargo space would be nice.

+ 10% cargo capacity
-  10% armor
-  10% speed
+ 10% demob

---------------------

*just post here if any of you guys like the idea

Re: Cargo Capacity Extender Modules

can be useful but may be hard to implement? how about you put the module, loaded stuff, remove module? what should happens then?

Have a productive day, Runner

Line wrote:

can be useful but may be hard to implement? how about you put the module, loaded stuff, remove module? what should happens then?

Same thing that happens when you make a fitting which exceeds your CPU/reactor cap?

You would get error message stating that you can't undock since you are currently exceeding your cargo capasity.

well it's ok if it's works in this way. maybe some different bonuses and penalties then? says, no demob affect, only speed/volume

+1 on this, was very surprised when I searched the market for something like this and discovered game doesn't have them (yet)

because the devs dont want them...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by Evolution 2011-03-01 19:42:46)

i was thinking of the mission runners, the logistic ones, but the extenders don't influence that, because they will have -% speed reduction.

They will be useful to transport a larger quantity of materials, modules, you name it.
The idea is that you can do this boring thing easier.
It will speed up the market even, transport faster, sell faster (or not? cause the game's market is pretty fked up?)

anyways i don't understand why won't they implemet this nice, sexy module.

maybe a dev, gm could give an answer? please?

There is a cargo expander now, its call a Lithus.

thats not a cargo expander module, that is one ugly bot! big_smile

Its ugly, but it carries alot more! And its slower, just like the module would make it.

In any case, you can't use a % of cargo, as 10% on a sequar would be nice, but 10% on any other Bot would be less than 1U. In which case, all you are arguing for is more space on transports, which is already handled by the new bot.

If there was a module, it would have to be a flat U, like 2-3U and take up a leg slot. The speed issue would be addressed by making the module heavy. It shouldn't have to effect demob, and the armor impact is that it uses a leg slot that can't be fitted with additional armor; or on assaults you have to give up a repper.

nobody says you should use it on other bots than transport ones, but you can have this possibility. lithus do his work well, but in some cases you can wish to have additional cargo space. and not everyone can buy and drive lithus, especially on earlier levels so it can be useful.

12 (edited by Evolution 2011-03-02 09:32:47)

a lithus is 25m +
a module will be 1m

see the difference...?

and yes, this module would be useful for transport bots.

I crate art for new modules http://feelfreedom.ru/img/perpetuum_online_cargo.png
Also, i think this modules can be. it need for game/

nice smile

Evolution wrote:

a lithus is 25m +
a module will be 1m

see the difference...?

and yes, this module would be useful for transport bots.

Really, 6U more is worth 1M, a 10% increase? With all the penalties you suggest, speed, armor, demob, it wouldn't be worth using.

It would be useful on raiding bots, to hold a little extra loot though, and could be worth it for them, if it didn't have any speed issues other than the mass of the unit.

The only way I can see the cargo expander being useful on a sequar is if it allowed you enough space to run the Level 3 Beta missions in one go, but that would be +40U for a total of 100U. But that would make the level 3 payout inbalanced, and they would nerf it, making the mission worthless unless you had the module.

TLDR; There's nothing really wrong with the addition of a cargo module, but it wouldn't make the game any better.

u can equipe multiple modules, 4-5

then u get like 20u more for a sequer and maybe 60 more u on a lithus cant be that bad

It would be very situational.

If your moving on alpha, speed isn't important, but if you drop below 50% of your max speed, than 2 trips would be technically faster. If your hauling ore, than speed is still better because you average the trip time loss over multiple trips.

If your moving on beta, your travel time is more important than your capacity; that is extra U of material is less important than getting the 60U's off Island ASAP.

But again, in any combination, it won't be allowed to increase the capacity to 100U, or if it does the mission volume will change so that you will always need 2 trips to complete.

If it was extra space with no speed penalty, than it would be useful.

The -10% speed decrease and +10% cargo capacity kind of cancels out, so I do not really see the point in this.

However, I certainly agree that there should be a module increasing capacity.

I can't imagine that it hasn't been mentioned before, but cargo capacity on existing bots is less than adequate.  While the industrials aren't horrible, there's a derth of carrying capacity pretty much across the board.  To that end, I suggest a cargo capacity increase as either a leg or chassis fitting.  I, for one, would prefer shedding weapon slots to have something like visible saddle bags or containers hanging from the sides of my bots.  It'd amuse me to no end to see a Larid or Argano with a pair of boxy industrial cargo modules hanging from each side that would give a fixed (rather that %) bonus, but I'm not partial to insisting on implementation specifics.

Of course, in addition to losing weapons capacity, I would expect nothing less than a speed loss as I add additional space as a fair tradeoff.  It'd only make sense to shed some of that stupid speed to get some much needed room.

Your Dearest Fwiend
Johnny EvilGuy

P.S. -- I anticipate the arrival of Arga's disagreeable commentary.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

post of the post count

This has come up many times and has been argued over.
It's much the same as the lightweight frame argument that if it was introduced it'd be used as a standard module. If a hauler is caught it's likely it will die. A few less KPH or less armour will not effect a hauler. It would be used mainly on two robots.

Much like LWF I'd simply suggest that you increase the base and if a module were to be introduced that it has a sensible effect but if we can avoid introducing modules like this it would be preferable.

To be honest I do not think a module would work well in this case.  While the LWF is changing the frame of the robot, it is not actually restructuring the bot.  A cargo module would be more of an expansion or serious alteration to the robots design, something that looks to be out when compared to modules.

What I could see though is if the developers get a system working where you can swap out full design elements like the legs, the head, and other things.  That the Industrals could have a backpack slot...for lack of a better term.  Where for a hit tot he robots weight, it gets mo internal space to work with.  This would then be feasible, but really only in that context.

They can already do hybrid bots, but it's close to impossible to balance them wink Or so I heard.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I believe the lot of you are approaching this from a hauler-specific standpoint.  In fact, haulers are the bots to which I think cargo expansion options are the least concern.  The Sequer and Lithus are perfectly able to cart around an adequate quantity of goods for transport missions.  I'm not really concerned about any of that silliness since transport missions are going to be a lot less relevant as a money printing machine soon enough.

In fact, I'm more concerned about the potential to offer modular expansion capacity to every other bot in the game.  I'd be perfectly happy with seeing these things being impossible to fit on the two aforementioned cargo carriers.  Taking haulers off the table and ignoring comparisions to LFWs (which certainly don't have anything to do with anything at this point) and you're left with little to no reason aside from having to think about how to best balance them.  That also, is less relevant when haulers aren't in the picture and money runs aren't included as a factor.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Norrdec wrote:

They can already do hybrid bots, but it's close to impossible to balance them wink Or so I heard.

Balance...bah.  Who needs balance in a world where none exists any way.  yarr

Actually balancing is not to hard if you get away from common processes of thought.  In this context though I do not know what their thinking is so can not come to a conclusion of whee they could go with it.

Me, I would break the bot into pieces then assign the bulk of the attributes to the "Core" of the robot.  Then each part attached to the core modifies the core, altering some attribute positively, while also altering other attributes negatively.  It is in truth a simple and a tried and true system.