Re: Beacon drop rate is too low?

I agree with Syndic arguements.
I have on numerous occasions and post also expressed, that this game needs long term goals. My observation on a regular new player cycle is about 3 month.
Its not in my right to suggest what Dev´s should be doing. I have not enough insite for this. Nevertheless you would need to be def dumb and blind, to not realise something is not working right, to keep players ingame. Considering that most players have 2 or more accounts, when we have 160 online, we have about 80 < real players and droping.  Everything we are being served as patches / new features, does not make up as long term goals to players. Nice to have, yes. But not cruicial for long term goals. I don´t want to be ungreatful to the patches / features we have been delivered and what Dev´s have achieved. But its not hitting the sweet spot to keep players past the 3 month ingame.

I don´t know if there is a magical component to that. POS and terraforming might very well be going into that direction, depending how it is presented. From a pvp player perspective anyway. One has to realise that this is not something you code overnight. But we have been talking about it for almost a year now. And while we keep on discussing, defending different sites and views, numbers keep on droping and nothing changes.

I am not a game designer or coder. But I am a member of target group, who expresses the fears, of what is seriously going wrong and why this game might have some issues becoming dull and unchallenging.

Take it or leave it. In my company I take it as a rule to listen to every employees complain. As there is always an esscence of truth behind it to prioritise and investigate.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

@Snowman, very interesting theory.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

78 (edited by Snowman 2011-10-26 11:38:00)

Either way. there is simply no excuse to treat players this way.  Silent treatment never produces any positive effect.

i wonder how long this topic stays open - the title has nothing to do with the content...

read zooms signature and you get the summary of what you are discussing here. No matter what the DEVs post, all they get as answer "this is not what we want".

do you want the server to be shut down for a half year, and then rebooted with a bunch of new features?
specially for CIR: this is a sandbox - since you consider your previous "goal" as accomplished, perhaps its time to set a new one?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Attempt to make another bunch of players leave!
CIRs goals are always helpful to the game. smile

I AM NOT A GM™

While CIR's goals are always helpful to the game Alex, they are also 100% legit. Can you say the same about the corps you've been in (but naturally didn't know anything whatsoever about it)? wink

There was a time when the Devs did present us with a plan for the future of Perpetuum though, back in February it sounded like this:

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … perpetuum/

"The features below are listed more or less in the order we currently plan to introduce them, with the first ones being only a few weeks away and the last ones planned more towards the second half of the year."

So, there is still 2 months to introduce the Energy Credit system, Artillery, more types of weapons, hybrid robots, terraforming and player-built structures.

Developers could we have a bit more information on status of these systems you announced to us in February?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

A lot of the highlighted ideas appear to be very easily argued about.
If the players can easily argue over the pros and cons of an idea I can only imagine the developer meetings!

But for what they do produce they iterate it well. The first release of anything is never perfect. I think Avatar Creations know this and expect to release something that half works and then later deeply integrate the feature with another feature to make something more wholesome.

And I am sorry Syndic, CIR is not out to destroy the game unlike someone I once knew. However I do think CIR needs another goal but world domination must get boring after a while.. I think we've both been there, done that.. Right? tongue

I AM NOT A GM™

Alexandra wrote:

A lot of the highlighted ideas appear to be very easily argued about.
If the players can easily argue over the pros and cons of an idea I can only imagine the developer meetings!

But for what they do produce they iterate it well. The first release of anything is never perfect. I think Avatar Creations know this and expect to release something that half works and then later deeply integrate the feature with another feature to make something more wholesome.

And I am sorry Syndic, CIR is not out to destroy the game unlike someone I once knew. However I do think CIR needs another goal but world domination must get boring after a while.. I think we've both been there, done that.. Right? tongue

For half of your post i'm "omg he actually has half a decent brain" and then I read the next half and go "nah, there was a lucid moment between his inhalations". This "CIR" thing is getting old, find something new.

*sigh*

at least we made it a week before corporate dialog crap crept in

Actually you missed the point of the post.
CIR is one of the older corps in the game with a "Healthy" number of players.
They, unlike the oldest corp in the game, haven't had their assets wiped and had to start over 6 months into the game.

What I was trying to highlight was the lack of end-game, content and playability past the 6 month / once you get in a heavy mech.

Sorry to use CIR as an example. I wasn't here to insult people or poke fingers at anyone.

Oh. Apologies for the insult then sad I misunderstood your post.

While I have no problem with the actual drob rate of Beacons (get 1 to 4 each day) it would be nice to have more information where to get which beacons.
3th Darkstar Assaults drob Level 1 light/assault beacons
3th Darkstar Kains drob level 1 mech/hmech beacons
4th Darkstar Kains drob level 2 light/assault and level 2 mech/hmeach beacons

So I gus it's the same for green and orange (yellow/red).

But where do Industrial beacons drob? Didn't found any random spawn with Industrial Elites sad.

PS: NO stelth bot without propper anti-stelth modul/bot !!!
Don't know who intruduced this fail mechanic the first time ... but since DAoC every publisher should KNOW stelth/cloak without anti-stelth/cloak is FAIL!

88 (edited by Syrissa 2011-11-11 10:27:47)

Snowman wrote:

I've a theory.

When developing at some point they may have said to themselves;

"This project still needs 12-18 months worth of development before its ready, but rather than wait this long to release it, we'll release it now but with very little market presence to deliberately keep player numbers low.   That way we have 12 months worth of feedback from a live environment"

So, their focus is not to develop with the purpose of trying to retain subscriptions because officially, the game isnt released yet and there is zero pressure on them to attract subscribers.

When we point out that they are failing and sub numbers are dropping, they dont care about that.  They are not interesting in developing features with the sole purpose of attracting or even retaining players.

Its like going to the bank and saying "Im going to open this business in 3 years"... but opening it 2 years early, you have the funds and no demands to perform and can do what you like.

In their eyes, they are not failing even if they only had one player, it doesn't matter.

I've many years of experience in business, and this is the only situation I can come up with that would explain their apparent total lack of interest in player numbers or subscribers.

At the moment, its just an experiment, a test server, a 'not-for-profit' project.

while this is totally off topic by now i just want to add this:
i totaly agree whith snowman here. i also had thoughts like this but would have named it otherwise.
i already told my corpmates that we have no reason to complain. we all play a payed beta game. (no offense to the defs). this game still needs a lot of work, and i think we all agree with this.

but besides this we all still have fun in this game, or will would no longer be here and talk about all this.
and even more important: this game has potential. but it still will take some time to show all that potential.
so i personaly i see my two payed accounts as support for a game in that i will have a great deal of fun in the future. i dont see my payments as real subscriptions. this game is work in progress. and you can shout as much as you want, about the features that you want, but in the end this is still development, and no pollished game.
why do you thik there is no advertising about this game? just as mobius has pointed out in another topic. because this game is not ready for it jet. if you draw a lot more ppl in this game, most likely most of them will leave again in the current state of the game.

and the question when will be that magical point when this game is ready for advertising and a lot new players. well i cant tell you this. maybe even the defs cant tell you this. maybe some months, maybe a year, maybe two years. in my opinion it doesnt matter. if this game does not give you enough content for 24/7 then only play it half a hour a day. still fine. your skills still keep increasing. and when the time comes that this game is "ready" and getting bigger, and you guys are still there. then you will be the "old" veterans, that have been in game since the beginning. maybe this is a goal good enough for the time beeing.

keep testing... as long as you are still alive!

MoBIoS wrote:

... something is not working right, to keep players ingame ...

Sure, but Beta stuff is not the main problem.

Very limited market where it is hard to buy some stuff, to trade or sell your stuff is a much MUCH bigger problem!
The first what nearly everybody does in a new game is: Check fenzy stuff. If they see this empty market all over ... it's a freaking bad first impression!

And this is true for any type of player. PvP AND PvE guys check for pewpew Robots and guns, Miners for industry Robots&Tools and mineral market, Traders for trade hubs and hauler Bots. And as soon as they all notice: "damit, the market is close to die" ... the think twice before they subscripe or play for longer time!

Quickfix: Disable corp market until the playerbase reaches several K player simultan.
Not so nice but maybe still helpy: NPC seeds (with INSANE prices of corse). Exlude: Prototypes & Offizer  & Niani items. Just to make the first impression: "well, I can get everything ... but I better try to find someone who can build it".

OnTopic: Beacon drobs are fine.
Within a week we collected ~10+++ beacons of all type for nice corp pew pew at the weekend. And this with just 3 to 4 palyers who all have regular jobs + familys. For us this means around 3 to 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday of cool corp actions smile.
10 is not much? Well, with more then 4 collecting people you get many more. With 4 players who have much more EP you get many more. With 4 jobless singels you get many more. It's realy not to hard.

But the documentation could be better (where can drob which type of Beacon).

how would disabling corp market help in any way?

instead of market interface, corps would use direct trade and corp storages AGAIN. And it will result in casual gamer not beeing able to access corp supplies if the distribution officer is not online.

hurray for a huge backstep.

i blame the jews for the empty market! (*sarcasm*)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

The market needs to be fixed, flat out.

That's the sole reason I left the game some months ago and, had it not been for the 15 day activation, I would not have come back upon finding that the market is still dead.
No one wants to use T1, but they're stuck with it.  No one offers T2 because it's going into T3 also not available because that's 100% tied up in producing T4, so... nothing except T1 and T4 hit the market.  The first being available from NPC drops, and can be reverse-engineered, to be then built by the user.  The second being so laughably expensive for the greater population that they don't move even the few times they are offered.
Yes, they are stupidly expensive to produce, and that is reflected the few times they show up on the market, but with zero competition the prices are highway robbery.

Fix the market, Devs.

Change the build schema so that T2 and T3 are more than just so many crafting parts for T4 so that they'll actually be seeded on the market.

Introduce even higher levels of tech that can, in time, become the 'end game' for both producers (who now laugh at the newbies with their 25% kernel drops) giving them a new milestone to achieve, and users.  How you can prevent those building/using such extremes from laughing while they spank the newbies, though, is a question.

92 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-11-11 13:58:51)

Sure, much of the real valuable stuff will be handled that way. But for example Amunition or lower Tier stuff not as it is simply to much work.

Do you checked the Amunition market lately? 1, with some luck 2 or 3 player offers for each type. In many cases NO player offers/requests. That's just ... so ... TERRIBLE wrong for an item type which realy everybody NEED.

Don't you notice? When ever a market is dead ... the game will die soon too. See Mythos, see first release HG:L and for sure many other games which I never played or don't remember. The market is the true health indicator for every modern Massive Multiplayer Online Game equal if it is a SiFi, Fantasy, Roolplay, Action or Hack&Slay.
And even if it is hated: can you imagin EvE without Market?

Without Market it is 100% equal how FANTASTIC PvP and Beta and all other goodys are. No stuff which you can buy to blow it up == doesn't matter how cool blowing up stuff is wink.

PS: we had 3 dedicated hardcore miner&producer who eat ALOT of kernals they got from all corpis. All 3 left as it was nearly IMPOSIBLE for them to sell anythink at the free market and so make compareble money to the PvE hunters or mission runners. Hell, they didn't make ANY money one month as nothing, absolut NOTHING they offerd was bought. Not even Amunition or T4 items.
Sorry, I know you all want just pew pew on fanzy Betas ... but for the health of the hole game fanzy Betas are uninteresting as long as the Market isn't working!

what do you want to fix with the market? the market is player based. only solution would be to add every item to a way more expensive price via npc trader. so that is not realy a good solution for a sandbox game.

the market is player driven. if you want more on the market then bring more on the market. make a produser and offer the products you think are needed. thats the way it works. if you are right, and ppl need that then you will make a good profit. if you are wrong.. well then its your problem. dont complain to the defs about a thing that is is players hands. do something that will change that fact.

its circle:

you start with nothing to offer of value when you are new ingame. sure minerals are on demand all the time, but at discount prices that only a riv mk2 with 5 t4 tunings and above average mining extension can fullfill in a reasonable timeframe. (note: those those who can drive that, are not new player)

= mineral market is no playing field for new player. Corp Miner probably need all their mined ore for corp internal production = no real playing field for experienced player

you try ammo market:
the ones demanding ammo are other new player which do not have a corp as backup like yourself. Once you have started to build ammo, you realise, that selling it to the prices that are accepted by the demanding crowd needs you to have maxed out extensions, good relations and allot of work for minimal profit.

= ammo market is no playing field for new player, and a single corp-industrial can produce millions of shots within a few days -> no need to buy/sell ammo on market

you try Robot market:
see above.

you try item market:
most T1 items are dropped like *** from npcs, only a few exceptions need to be built. theres no way someone would try to compete on the market against repaired loot.

= no market for T1 player built items.

at the end, the only "market" that works, is the stuff that is either not found in loot (robots), rare (mk2 cts, cortex, beacons) or demanded by bigger corps (kernels). except robots, those are mostly convinience buy orders by corps that have a *** of NIC and want to concentrate more on fun activites (PvP)...

back to topic:
beacon drop rate is fine as it is

The market will fix itself when there are more people in-game.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

96 (edited by Syrissa 2011-11-11 23:12:22)

Annihilator wrote:

its circle:

you start with nothing to offer of value when you are new ingame. sure minerals are on demand all the time, but at discount prices that only a riv mk2 with 5 t4 tunings and above average mining extension can fullfill in a reasonable timeframe. (note: those those who can drive that, are not new player)

= mineral market is no playing field for new player. Corp Miner probably need all their mined ore for corp internal production = no real playing field for experienced player

you try ammo market:
the ones demanding ammo are other new player which do not have a corp as backup like yourself. Once you have started to build ammo, you realise, that selling it to the prices that are accepted by the demanding crowd needs you to have maxed out extensions, good relations and allot of work for minimal profit.

= ammo market is no playing field for new player, and a single corp-industrial can produce millions of shots within a few days -> no need to buy/sell ammo on market

you try Robot market:
see above.

you try item market:
most T1 items are dropped like *** from npcs, only a few exceptions need to be built. theres no way someone would try to compete on the market against repaired loot.

= no market for T1 player built items.

at the end, the only "market" that works, is the stuff that is either not found in loot (robots), rare (mk2 cts, cortex, beacons) or demanded by bigger corps (kernels). except robots, those are mostly convinience buy orders by corps that have a *** of NIC and want to concentrate more on fun activites (PvP)...

back to topic:
beacon drop rate is fine as it is

so basicly you dont complain about the market. you complain about the production.

and you complain that a new mining char cant compete with one that is already in the game for a few months. and has a corp backing him up.

sry but what new char can fight a T5 HM solo? you have to stick with T1 light bots. if you get better maybe you can tyr T2 but will be much harder... and solo farming light bots is no real big income.

if you want to mine efficiently then you need a riverler with decent equip. if you want a good npc farming bot then you need a HM. if you want a good producer then you need a hell lot more than a few weeks of skilling in that ***.

you also can try go with refining or recycling if you have that much T1 loot ... dont realy costs that much to get that to 10... so this one can be done relativly quick...

if you dont have that then you might need a f****** lot more time to get the same done... or wait till you have your extentions at a usefull lvl.

i dont want to give syndic credit but he is right. all this wil get better with more players in game. more producer more miner more ppl who want stuff.

sry i only see wine...

Offtop beacons.
Ontop market:
I think market will be unhealthy even with a huge numbers of players online. Simple because plasma drop rate. If plasma will not be removed from game, or even reduced, nflation will raise itself to catastrophic level, what will make or empty market, or too high prices.

How much NIC/H have intermediate spawn?

How many nicsink entries we have besides manufacturing?

I think plasma should be removed from game and NIC should be gained from dynamic PvE missions what tied to world state, what will avoid constant inflation. Then market would be ready for use.

Alexadar wrote:

Offtop beacons.
Ontop market:
I think market will be unhealthy even with a huge numbers of players online. Simple because plasma drop rate. If plasma will not be removed from game, or even reduced, nflation will raise itself to catastrophic level, what will make or empty market, or too high prices.

How much NIC/H have intermediate spawn?

How many nicsink entries we have besides manufacturing?

I think plasma should be removed from game and NIC should be gained from dynamic PvE missions what tied to world state, what will avoid constant inflation. Then market would be ready for use.

that is not the question. the question is how much is generated and how much is destroyed and how will the money flow.
its simply not that simple.

plasma provides nic for the combat ppl. but combat ppl also loose nic when the bot dies.

nic flow:
plasma -> combat -> produser -> miner

so who will have all the money in the end? surely not the combat guy how gets the plasma.

besides mining is still way more profitable in the first months of the game than combat can ever be. maybe this changes a bit when you reach a full skilled HM.

So, I have a 500k+ EP account dedicated to mining, and a 500k+ EP account dedicated to combat. Both drive mk2 heavy mechs with top end gear. Leaving beta out of the equation, because I'm not farming there or mining there, my combat character can make roughly triple per hour what my miner can. Granted it's with alot more risk invovled then mining, and typically I'm risking more (combat mk2 heavy + lithus mk2 for looting) in nic value then when I mine (riveler mk2 + 2x sequers). Not sure this is imbalanced but I'm currently pretty happy with the prices people are buying ore at and I don't mind mining, plus it's usually low risk. And granted there's only a few spawns on all the alphas that can produce those results, and they're usually farmed pretty regularly by corps or other high EP toons.

On beta the amounts are probaly closer as you can mine epriton.

I agree with syndic, but with one reservation: The market will sort it's self out with more players that have finished research using it to sell, AND more people using it to buy from. If you're the only one on the market selling anything, it's pretty easy to charge just about whatever you want for it. Honestly, this is what a free market system is about, competiton.

People also need to consider stocking other outposts besides TMA and ICS and to a lesser extent asintec. There are level 2 facilities on the alpha 1s at other outposts and people MAY be willing to pay a small premium to save time and purchase from there. There's also 3 alpha 2 terminals that are probaly more active, and there again people are probaly willing to pay a small premium to buy from there, or there may not even be any competition there.

Beacon drop rate seems ok to me so far.

Syrisas - you missed the main argument in my post:

once youre able to use the market, your alread into the game for a long time, in a big corp, and dont need to use it anymore. Your corp is fully self-sufficient.
Why would you throw stuff on the open market, or why would you buy from it when you can get everything from your corpstorage? (corp internal market is just a convinience tool here to cover all timezones.)