Re: Beacon drop rate is too low?

It's opening a pandora's box. They've been working for months on this beacon-sh*t and it took 3 days before people got tired of it and started whining.

Wrong priorities are wrong.

Intrusion 2.0, the "miracle patch" everyone is waiting for is a waste of time because it is fundamentally rehashing/rebalancing the same old watered down content/space that is already in the game. Perpetuum has not released or introduced anything relevant content-wise since release (1 year!) besides Terra Incognita.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

PVE drops should never be more powerful then craftable items. It removes crafting and industry and replaces it with instance/PVE grinding-for-gear.

T2 fit is still the norm for EVE, officer fits are rare.

I actually agree that the best new tier should be more like a proper t5 rather than just t4. However, to keep crafting needed these would have to be extremely rare.

Syndic wrote:

They've been working for months on this beacon-sh*t and it took 3 days before people got tired of it and started whining.

I don't know where you got that information, but do you really think that now that this is out, we only started now on the attribute/spark patch, and it would be ready this week already? It seems you don't have any insight how development goes, but I can tell you one thing for sure, it's certainly not linear. </rant>

DEV Zoom wrote:
Syndic wrote:

They've been working for months on this beacon-sh*t and it took 3 days before people got tired of it and started whining.

I don't know where you got that information, but do you really think that now that this is out, we only started now on the attribute/spark patch, and it would be ready this week already? It seems you don't have any insight how development goes, but I can tell you one thing for sure, it's certainly not linear. </rant>

wait, i thought you are starting with the attribute thingy tomorrow, and do the testing on thursday after dinner.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The beacons could use some improvement yes, but I think they are alot of fun and are a great addition to the PvE experience of the game! Ive had a blast with my corp going doing artifact scanning, spawning observers, and popping the beacons.

I think some peoples problem is they are going through "korean levels of grind" on this content and getting bored with it.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

32 (edited by Ville 2011-10-24 18:47:58)

I'm currently amazed by the beacon atm, they are providing a much needed group rally on pve farming.  As much as I like the idea of intrusion 2.0 I hope it takes enough time to be perfected(as much as humanly possible.) Before it comes out. I think these beacons are balanced in drop rate and the amount of loot you get from them.  Great job devs.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Syndic wrote:

I was actually told you just got the go-ahead to start developing Intrusion 2.0. smile

As far as your particular development cycle goes, the way it was explained to me is that you each work on a specific feature/part of the code, and when an individual programmer is done he's done & twiddling his thumbs until its time to compile it all into a patch and see if it works. Correct me if my informant was wrong. lol

As for the rest, I'm merely expressing my point of view that your priorities aren't straight.

Since release you've promised a number of things, including Minefields, Artillery, Alliances (cancelled after some lol-feedback, then the biggest part of the 2/3 playerbases in-game petitioned you for it), POS, terraforming, "Stealth" assault bots, etc. None of which was delivered. The biggest 3 "content" addons to the game that you have to showcase is Artifact system, Terra Incognita, and Beacon system.

As a "long stretch" we could consider the Lithus, which is your only new bot addition in 1 year, besides the Mk2 bots which are just rehashed versions of the original bots with different colors and slightly better stats.

Noralgis I'm not even going to mention, as it has only been used to slow down T4 production and research in general because you were unable to compete development-wise against the progress of the community.

The "other" aspects of how certain parts of the community were allowed to REVIEW and ADJUST every upcoming change in the game, because they were "Closed Beta players" and how "secret" Dev accounts with maximized extensions were organized to go on roams with said super-leet-organized group, I won't go into great detail or examples but certain private privileged Skype logs were published, we all read them, and in CIR's case saved them for posterity.

So while you have every right to rant at me, I would appreciate if you did it with something more intelligent then saying we have unrealistic expectations. After a year, there's a lot more focused development that could have and should have happened, instead of tweaking missile range by +5% this month, -5% next month, nerfing certain modules and blatantly stating its so corp X doesn't put 20 of those super-expensive mechs on a SAP, etc.

And to supplement that I am not speaking/ranting with no reason, on Release there was 900+ players. That dropped to 150-250 actives at prime-time until the EVE Exodus when we once again jumped past 800, and since then we've dropped below 250 again. Once is a fluke, twice there's a pattern that the Devs are doing something wrong, and should adjust your course accordingly to give people stuff to do.

Beacons gives people stuff to do for a week or two, Intrusion 2.0 gives people stuff to do for a month or two until they realize Beta = Epriton source and nothing else, POS and Terraforming however gives YEARS of player-created content as big alliances and empires are created and destroyed.

I mean, just look at your "spiritual predecessor", EVE. They got something right, otherwise they wouldn't have so many subs.

/rant wink

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

I was actually told you just got the go-ahead to start developing Intrusion 2.0. smile

Again, I don't know where you get your information, but that's not true either. Development began with the publishing of the devblog, and the actual execution already started a while ago too.

As for the rest, we could argue for hours what "content" is and what drives the game further, but I don't think we would ever agree, and it would be wholly offtopic too.

Zoom jacked the beacon thread!
>.>
<.<

Ok, in your defense Syndic opend the door up and left the car running with the keys in the ignition and a cooler of beer on the passenger seat.

As for the beacon drop rate, I guess it would be a bit premature to draw serious conclusions. As we see, some of you got lucky, some not so much tongue

Updated weekly?

This is awesome.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Again, I don't know where you get your information, but that's not true either.
As for the rest, we could argue for hours what "content" is and what drives the game further, but I don't think we would ever agree, and it would be wholly offtopic too.

You (well - devs) act like you have ADD. You talk about this and that, and then you come out with a third thing and then you spend your time tweaking that thing and so on...

You should start focusing on some major things. Fine tune and polish is good, but as your sub number tells you more then we can - ppl want some ZOMGWTF AMAZING stuff wink

We can go your way and say - well beacons ARE ZOMGWTF AMAZING stuff. Yes, they are for some ig players. But try to think about ZOMGWTF AMAZING like this - is it something that we can really brag about, is it something that will make us new subs, is it something well, something that most of community is waiting for so long, like pos, terraforming and so on...

Listen to your players. I'm from CIR, I don't want to kill perp, I am trying to give you advice and help you get more people in, if anything then because it makes me enjoy the game more. We can argue for hours about content. We can also look at devs blogs and what were the devs talking about many many months ago. We can also look at some forum threads and see what players want. Don't look at tags, listen to your playerbase wink

The trouble here is that there isn't any smoking gun.

Some players say 'this' will help, others say 'that', and no one is necessarily wrong.

The game simply needs MORE content, both PVP and PVE, and its going to take time to get it all deployed.

40 (edited by Triglav 2011-10-24 22:46:10)

That's exactly what Klit said. The game needs more stuff. Not what that stuff IS.

If devs can't decide WHAT additions to do (say they cant decide how to pick 3 out of 10 most voiced players' ideas) they could simply ask us, poll us, something. I know they're limited in workforce and tight with cash, but the community here (however small) is very willing to help them either with ideas or actions. From personal experience i know many people volunteer to AC devs for smaller tasks, and imo this task pool that is being assigned to volunteers could be widened and deepened.

For examples tongue i'll just point out the infinity:quest for earth community. That game still has years of development ahead of it, but the community is tightly involved with developers - they have whole sections of community contributed audio, texturing, models and other stuff that i cant remember.

Tbfh, I'm sure tehre are 7 (randomly generated small integer) people in our community that would be willing to redo every bot in the game into high res high poly new gen models - meaning that the devs dont have to. Some agreement would need to be put together for such player-dev interactions, but the community is willing, you just need to let any ideas become reality.  (also the bot models was just example, there's N things that we could be doing - completely free of charge(lowered subs would be nice tho tongue just sayin)).

Forget the drop rate.. make the dam mobs spawn faster. i was solo farming a spawn that took 3+ heavy's pre dynamic spawn change by my self with a 70-80% downtime of waiting for a mob to spawn.

I mean gimme something to shoot

Devs offer us information on what they are working on, we turn it around on them and tell them they have no clue about how to devleop a game, but we'll do it for them for free...

Now, I don't have a huge ego, but when my co workers start telling me how to configure our network because they were able to get thier new D-Link wireless router working at home, I just nod and smile. 99.9 % of the help is well meaning but without a complete picture of the entire process, meaningless. That .1% are those people that actually have professional experience and can truely help.

Having an open-sourced MMO is a great idea and I would probably join that, but AC is an actual company making a for profit game. Assuming they don't know what they are doing just because they don't tell us every last thing is just ... 'nuff said.

Blue Ball wrote:

Forget the drop rate.. make the dam mobs spawn faster. i was solo farming a spawn that took 3+ heavy's pre dynamic spawn change by my self with a 70-80% downtime of waiting for a mob to spawn.

Yes and no. I agree but I can see this being abused. It should get to a point that dynamically spawn timers reduce and get to a point where spawns re-spawn instantly and instantly lock you.

:3

Alexander wrote:
Blue Ball wrote:

Yes and no. I agree but I can see this being abused. It should get to a point that dynamically spawn timers reduce and get to a point where spawns re-spawn instantly and instantly lock you.

:3

Get there fast.. i shouldn't have anything above a 5-10% downtime when farming.

45 (edited by Syndic 2011-10-24 23:17:26)

Arga wrote:

The trouble here is that there isn't any smoking gun.

Some players say 'this' will help, others say 'that', and no one is necessarily wrong.

The game simply needs MORE content, both PVP and PVE, and its going to take time to get it all deployed.

No Arga, that's a dodge not an answer to the dilemma.

IF its "this" will help / "that" will help, and they are 50-50 between the two ideas, poll it! Communication with DEV's has to be two-way otherwise its just players shouting ideas into deaf ears.

Look at DEV posting history a bit. Very quiet & almost non-existent period after the initial sucking up to all the EVE refugees (which promptly gave them the finger and buggered off to EVE after the first month, but that's besides the point), the forums livened up with activity only after water got up to the ears and we started seeing sub-150 in prime-times.

Then miraculiously 3-4 week old bugs were "fixed", this sounded good, this sounded possible, this could be done, blah blah.

Look, I don't wanna draw this out anymore so here's my point:

1. 900+ people from release went down to 150-250.
2. 800+ people come into the game, skyrocketing the population. These players are EVE players, they actually LIKE games like Perpetuum.
3. Population goes down to 100-150.

So lets draw the conclusion from that and ask the obvious question in the world nobody is asking:

If Perpetuum does not appeal to the players that played the only other game in its niche, whats the problem?

I personally don't care if Dev's prefer to ignore feedback like this that doesn't stroke their ego (I notice Zoom started taking me personally up there before he chilled out), but this is really the question that they need to be asking themselves.

Cause when you lose 80-90% of the niche population of players that your niche game caters to, something is rotten in the state of Hungary (to paraphrase Shakespeare).

CIR Complaint Form

POS = profit

And yes, beacon drop rate is too low.

Farmed for just under 2 hours and got three beacons. Seems pretty good to me.
The issue with beacons is the systems AFTER they are deployed. Not with the quantity that are supplied.

You get a good twice as many beacons on beta if not three times as many so I could of had 9 beacons. yikes

Arga wrote:

Now, I don't have a huge ego, but when my co workers start telling me how to configure our network because they were able to get thier new D-Link wireless router working at home, I just nod and smile. 99.9 % of the help is well meaning but without a complete picture of the entire process, meaningless. That .1% are those people that actually have professional experience and can truely help.

I have a restaurant. It's going pretty good. But then people stopped coming. Had about 80% drop in customers since I opened. Why I wondered... Tried some new spices on, the restaurant 150m away from mine closed and voila - i got a nice 300% more customers. Ahhh...good times!

After 3-4 weeks buisness started to slow down again. I talked to some of the guys that were eating my food. Few of them said the food is great. Few of them said food is ok but it needs more spice - salt, pepper, hell even some chilli! But alot of them said it's getting boring, since I have just 4 meals on my menu. They wanted something more, more daring - they just wanted something new!

What did I do? Left things unchanged? Added some more spice to please a few more ppl? Or maybe constructed 4-5 new meals with my chef?

(warning - all characters in this are fictional! or are they!?!?! fuuu )

50 (edited by Triglav 2011-10-25 00:00:26)

Arga wrote:

Devs offer us information on what they are working on, we turn it around on them and tell them they have no clue about how to devleop a game, but we'll do it for them for free...

Having an open-sourced MMO is a great idea and I would probably join that, but AC is an actual company making a for profit game. Assuming they don't know what they are doing just because they don't tell us every last thing is just ... 'nuff said.

Not sure if this was meant to be a reply to my post, but it doesnt really matter.

To address a few points:

You state (and emphasize) that because AC is a company that makes and profits by making a game it should somehow automatically mean that they know what they're doing.
Why? First check how long the company has existed, check how many games it has made prior to this one, and check what their developers were doing prior to their game industry careers. Tbh i dont know how long the AC as a company exists smile cause even uncle google couldn't find the info, but the oldest date of an article i found that mentions AC is from 2010. This is their first game, which means they are blindly trying a tested formula from another company and hoping that they win as well. And prior to their gaming careers afaik they were a group of demoers (sry if it's not a correct word), making up the conspiracy demogroup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuierUvx1A&feature=related). The company is an infant, sucking on its mothers tit and very fragile and very clueless, BUT with great ideas and great ambition (which is cool).
So they probably were/are gamers, but with no prior experience with gaming industry - and definitely not so much that they could run a company on an mmo game without any help whatsoever. Even if that help is only their own gaming community that tells them what they want.

About your ego. Yes you have it, yes it's huge, but of a different kind (the smiling and polite kind, but (seemingly) thinking *** about everybody in the back of your mind). It's not as visible and destructive as most other 'noticable' egos (angry egos, bossy egos, etc)  are, but it's just as heavy.

About the open-sourced mmo u mentioned, get your facts straight. I never said open-srouced mmo. I said community assisted and contributed. I suggest you read up the difference with uncle google. You'd quite probably fu©king love it if it were to happen specially because community is often capable of creating very high quality stuff and has *** of free time on their hands.

T.