Re: Beacon drop rate is too low?

I wasn't making an analogy, I do run our corporate network and when it's slow, everyone has a solution - even though they have no idea how the network works or any experience at all with wide area networks.

Taken from these forums, many many posts about "Hey, you should get on steam", finally devs answered that they have already pursued that. Just one example of where it's assumed because we aren't told, that the devs aren't doing it.

I'm not going to nit pik your analogy, because you probably made it up as you typed it. But even in that short analogy, you asked them what they wanted and then thought about what to do with that information, you didn't sit down and discuss the recipes, plate styles, new tax laws, and how your lazy brother-in-law can't clean dishes correctly.

52 (edited by Triglav 2011-10-25 00:18:45)

Arga wrote:

I wasn't making an analogy, I do run our corporate network and when it's slow, everyone has a solution - even though they have no idea how the network works or any experience at all with wide area networks.

Taken from these forums, many many posts about "Hey, you should get on steam", finally devs answered that they have already pursued that. Just one example of where it's assumed because we aren't told, that the devs aren't doing it.

I'm not going to nit pik your analogy, because you probably made it up as you typed it. But even in that short analogy, you asked them what they wanted and then thought about what to do with that information, you didn't sit down and discuss the recipes, plate styles, new tax laws, and how your lazy brother-in-law can't clean dishes correctly.

True and i totally agree, BUT what i believe you fail to see is that administrating a computer network is LEVELS below administrating a company.

Now to put this into your perspective: if your network fails -and :rabble: ensues from your coworkers - and you fix it in 1hour, it's ok, people were happy with 1 hour break. If you fix it in 1 day, people go home happy for a day off. If you fix it in a week, hell breaks loose, your job is threatened and company is probably taking a serious economic hit by it. if you fail to fix it in a month, you probably won't get a computer related job anywhere for the rest of your life.

AC is taking x-month long sweet time in doing something to get a larger amount of customers to STAY subscribed for more than a couple of months in a game not yet 12 months old. Do you really fail to see the relevance of that?

Syndic posted very good points about the player base crazy volume  oscillation. That kind of oscillation in customer volume would get any high managment fired in another company. Now AC is young and learning, but they need to be adapting MUCH faster if their childgame is to survive.

Arga wrote:

Yeah...thought it would be too much to go all on details. I think I got the picture right in the simplest way. We are telling devs what we want to eat, we are hungry, they have best paprika in Hungary and it's about time to use it some more smile

(btw - brother-in-law got both of his knees broken in a strange kitchen accident...I find him more usefull now working some stuff out in basement big_smile )

Now i understand your portrait choice - it fits big_smile

I can make it simpler then mentioning wierd statistics of subscription oscillations nobody really seems to understand.

www.mmodata.net

Click on "Subscriptions 0-50K" and look at the bottom right corner.

To rehash what I already said, wrong priorities are wrong.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

again, I'm not making an analogy between networks and customers, but maybe I should be.

Everyone that has a stake in something, regardless of the venue, thinks they know what is best. But as you point out, it's not the user's job/company that is on the line if I can't get the network back up. Listening to the user's experinces gives me clues to where I can start to look for the problem, but seriously if I another user tells me we should be using DSL because it's super fast at their house, I'm going to throttle thier bandwidth down to DSL speeds!!

57 (edited by Triglav 2011-10-25 00:50:41)

Dude i'm sorry, i tried to decipher what you want to say (as I quite enjoy this debate tongue) but I don't understand what you're saying. Care to put it another way? Maybe a little bit more abstractly now smile

Syndic wrote:

I can make it simpler then mentioning wierd statistics of subscription oscillations nobody really seems to understand.

www.mmodata.net

Click on "Subscriptions 0-50K" and look at the bottom right corner.

To rehash what I already said, wrong priorities are wrong.

hmm an interesting site syndic.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

59 (edited by Arga 2011-10-25 01:49:30)

So.. about beacon drop rates, I want my T4+ miner modules, please increase. big_smile

Edit:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/10/ … lucas-dvd/

Interviewee talking about Lucas's newest rerelease of starwars.

It also makes a pretty persuasive argument that Lucas should accept the offer made by one reasonable-sounding fan in the video clip above to provide the director with an unvarnished look at the backlash.

“Give me a call,” says the man, one of several passionate fans interviewed at a comic book convention by the People vs. George Lucas crew. “I’ll buy you a beer. I’ll tell you everything that you’ve done wrong and I’ll work with you to fix it. We can make this happen.”

Please tell me you understand...

60 (edited by Segreto 2011-10-25 01:47:54)

Eve was horrible for a long time after release, but it was the only working sandbox at the time.  You can't compare their subscription sequence to that of Perpetuum.  And the influx of Eve players to Perpetuum should have no bearing in any argument about subscription numbers and their relation to game content.

From experience, I can tell you what a  huge deal Eve made out of their exploration implementation.  Eon Magazine had an entire issue with pages and pages of pictures and stories and faqs about the new system.  It took years for Eve to put that into the game, and it took months to iron it out and balance it.  Perpetuum added it as a small update.

Every nugget of content the game adds is a good thing in many ways:  it adds content for all players, it draws in new players, and new players add new opportunities for all players.  Beacons are awesome and seemingly simple.  If they can continue to add content like this, it is a win/win for everyone. 

The games progression should not be judged by a contrast to another game and certainly not by a sub ratio.  The game's progression should be judged by just that -- the games progression.  Content added can be judged independently of the game itself; however, in this case, I think the judgment’s outcome will be great.

61 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2011-10-25 03:39:16)

removed

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

@segreto:

nice words, but we did not point out that this game's sub acquisition curve was not the same as EVE's, rather that it was unable to hold a serious percentage of subs for a long"er" amount of time.

Also the point was not where those subs came from, but that the game did experience a new-player-influx which the game was unable to absorb. The fact that in certain amount of time that influx was actually eve exodus player base is thus mere irrelevant coincidence. A player is a player. We do not discriminate between wow, linage, eve, swg, .... players. (tho we make fun of wow players often tongue)

Arga wrote:

So.. about beacon drop rates, I want my T4+ miner modules, please increase. big_smile

Edit:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/10/ … lucas-dvd/

Interviewee talking about Lucas's newest rerelease of starwars.

It also makes a pretty persuasive argument that Lucas should accept the offer made by one reasonable-sounding fan in the video clip above to provide the director with an unvarnished look at the backlash.

“Give me a call,” says the man, one of several passionate fans interviewed at a comic book convention by the People vs. George Lucas crew. “I’ll buy you a beer. I’ll tell you everything that you’ve done wrong and I’ll work with you to fix it. We can make this happen.”

I think I understand what you're trying to say.However I must say I strongly disagree. 

You treat and continue to treat (i'm thinking that might be because you don't like to realize that your favourite game's dev team may be incompetent, cause you like the game so much) that AC is a gaming company with extensive experience in the field and financial resources that can shelter them from any player base oscillations.

Your example with G.Lucas, I believe it could be funny; however think about the following:
today, such a paragraph is funny because G.L. has had 30 years of success with those movies and that success moved from the big screens to game, books, literature, music and art - his story has basically had chance to ripe and become a source for an entire subculture.

Now let's take this same example and return back to 1977, when the first movie came out. Thing is, that GL's original script was very much different from the final version seen in the movie, and that script was heavily moderated by other people (with prior experience in literature field, movie field,...). (if you look up the early SW script, you'd probably laugh your *** off, it's a good read).
Also i'm sure you noted that the scripts for part 2 and 3 ( now known as episode 5 and 6) are not signed as "written by GL".
Turns out (if you check the star wars wiki) that GL actually had much outside help creating his franchise over the startup years. Now while a QQing fan in 2011 saying he can straighten GL out is funny, in 1977 he could get hired.

Seriously you want to compare a developer team with less than a year of active experience in its field and one sickly childgame ("sickly" here is meant only that its growth is very hindered, even dropping at birth) with someone who has 35+ years of experience and many successful finished products marketed and has even survived many fiasco product fails of the same franchise, making it a self-selling product?

That's a mild case of delusion there my friend.  You and I both want this game to succeed, but acceptance of reality comes before you're able to fix what's wrong (in any given thing). Unfortunately for you and me both, this product's (meaning perp.) history shows it's anything but self-selling.

Arga wrote:

You're comparing George Lucas (owner of a global franchise with a multi-million following that's going for 30+ years) and AC (hungarian students that made an EVE-like game that has less then 2,500 people following it)...

No, I don't understand. hmm George Lucas can slap Star Wars on anything and it'll magically turn into gold, AC can maybe buy a loaf of bread after they slap Perpetuum on something. Probably not even a bag of paprika.

Like Trig and me summed up; there are two sources of information that SOMETHING is wrong in Perpetuum. First source, is the two MASSIVE drops in player-base on release and after the EVE exodus arrived. Second source, is the mmodata which puts the subscription base on a massive thumbs-down.

Why is 70-80% of players quitting after a month or two?
What is wrong with current development priorities, are they influencing this consistent drop of new player subscriptions?
Which features were promised and never delivered, did this contribute to drop of player population?

Ofcourse, we can just ignore the uncomfortable questions and just pretend everything's hunky-dory. Works for me. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Snydic, i read that many times now - but i cannot really remember that mine layer has been proposed to us ever.

For myself i am calling the interference module a mine layer, because its nothing else then a special mine...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

REMOTE MINE ACTIVATION.

This thread is now totally off-topic.
Beacon drop rate is perfectly fine in my opinion.
Thus this is down to the devs and not us weak mortals.

I AM NOT A GM™

Triglav wrote:

@segreto:

nice words, but we did not point out that this game's sub acquisition curve was not the same as EVE's, rather that it was unable to hold a serious percentage of subs for a long"er" amount of time.

Also the point was not where those subs came from, but that the game did experience a new-player-influx which the game was unable to absorb. The fact that in certain amount of time that influx was actually eve exodus player base is thus mere irrelevant coincidence. A player is a player. We do not discriminate between wow, linage, eve, swg, .... players. (tho we make fun of wow players often tongue)

That's true, but the upward population from the Eve exodus was a synthetic population boost from a large amount of players that already were playing a game they liked.  The downward spike from the past 3 months should not be considered within the idea that the game is not retaining players.  A true number showing the retention of actual players would have to be disected from those who came from Eve and left to go back. 

As for the implementation of the beacons and their effect on retaining players, I couldn't imagine it being a negative in any way.  It might not be perfect with its current drop rate or drops, but it is a well thought out feature that adds to the game.

Beacons are a nice fresh way to PVE, and thank you for them.  They do add spice to one phase of the game.  I think drop rates are fine but this thread has brought up the same old issues.  Active players and new subs.

Until elite (high EP players have a reason to use Beta full time, we will not retain long term players)  Fix Beta, let it be customized into a place worth fighting for and you will attract players and retain long term subs.

TL/DR
Beacons are a fun new toy, no more time on those please, focus on what is needed...Build Beta/new islands..."Build it and they will come..."

Can't we all just get along?

And btw, Stealth ASSAULTS NAOW PL0X kkthx

lol..

The point wasn't to compare AC to George, but to compare "insert player" to the random guy.

Its not so much that the Dev's can't and don't make mistakes, but the comparison of a guy that watches alot of movies that's going to tell a director what they did wrong. And sure, GL probably did have a lot of help when he was first starting out, but you can be damn sure it wasn't from some random dude off the street.

What I'm defending is the idea that the development team is working without a plan, simply because part of the MMO genere is about NOT sharing the plan with the players. And conversely, its the life's work of some players to 'skip to the end'.

Maybe the plan sucks and the game fails. Its not unheard of, that's why we make SUGGESTIONS about what may or may not fix it, because for the most part we are invested and want the game to succeed. To tie this back to the random dude, no player can or should know the entire plan for the game, so they can't possibly determine what features/mechanics will or won't 'save the game'.

And sort of back on topic, this means that they devs spend thier time doing what they can, when they can, to improve the game in the ways that they feel will be most beneficial in the short and long term.

Are they right? Only time can tell. Are they sticking too closely to "Nia is a harsh world" when players simply want to be heros? Perpetuum isn't a 'casual' game, you basically have to commit to hours online, as opposed to 'login' 'battle' 'win/lose' 'logoff' in 15 minutes.

I'm not necessarily even disagreeing with anyone personally on what will help, just that its unproductive to whip the devs for not implementing any one particular feature before another based on conjecture.

The ability to build a base/POS/Island is what I think will make this game, but I'm not aware of the technical and minute game mechanics that have to be addressed in order for it to be added to the game; Empire building FTW.

71 (edited by Celebro 2011-10-25 21:48:59)

From an industrial player point of view beacons drop rate should remain low. Many producers won't like too many T4+ item competing with T4 mods.

On another note end game content should be a priority , this is a sandbox mmo and adding theme park content right now is not what is really needed. Anyhow still something good to cover up any delays.

I was still wondering if,someone can steal you beacon spawn loot or destroy your spawned bots out of squad? If that is not the case this is an instance mechanic on alpha.

RIP PERPETUUM

don't like T4+ idea, make the game wow-like, but well, at least it give high interest in those beacons, giving objectives to players is never a bad idea, but abusing of this kind of easy-made objective will make T9+ on wowpetuum.

btw never found any indus beacons, do they drop from artifact ?

D: How come you don't roll on Saturday, Walter?
W: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't f***ing ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as sh*t DON'T F***ING ROLL !!
D: Sheesh.
W: Shomer shabbos! ... Shomer f***ing shabbos!

Arga wrote:

lol..

The point wasn't to compare AC to George, but to compare "insert player" to the random guy.

Its not so much that the Dev's can't and don't make mistakes, but the comparison of a guy that watches alot of movies that's going to tell a director what they did wrong. And sure, GL probably did have a lot of help when he was first starting out, but you can be damn sure it wasn't from some random dude off the street.

What I'm defending is the idea that the development team is working without a plan, simply because part of the MMO genere is about NOT sharing the plan with the players. And conversely, its the life's work of some players to 'skip to the end'.

Maybe the plan sucks and the game fails. Its not unheard of, that's why we make SUGGESTIONS about what may or may not fix it, because for the most part we are invested and want the game to succeed. To tie this back to the random dude, no player can or should know the entire plan for the game, so they can't possibly determine what features/mechanics will or won't 'save the game'.

And sort of back on topic, this means that they devs spend thier time doing what they can, when they can, to improve the game in the ways that they feel will be most beneficial in the short and long term.

Are they right? Only time can tell. Are they sticking too closely to "Nia is a harsh world" when players simply want to be heros? Perpetuum isn't a 'casual' game, you basically have to commit to hours online, as opposed to 'login' 'battle' 'win/lose' 'logoff' in 15 minutes.

I'm not necessarily even disagreeing with anyone personally on what will help, just that its unproductive to whip the devs for not implementing any one particular feature before another based on conjecture.

The ability to build a base/POS/Island is what I think will make this game, but I'm not aware of the technical and minute game mechanics that have to be addressed in order for it to be added to the game; Empire building FTW.

You are mixing apples and oranges there. AC isn't paying me to fix/develop/play their game, I'm paying them to play their game, but I'm definitely not paying them to fix or develop their game for them. I'm sure they can find plenty of fanboys ready to volunteer for that sort of stuff. smile

I've said that it is obvious that their plan is not working and the priorities are wrong. As proof to this, I've pointed at the massive drop in players and the straight-down-to-the-basement sub-line in the mmodata.net site that they presented to us after release.

My suggestion was and is also obvious, change the plan and lay out new priorities to retain and increase subs; by introducing POS and other long-term objectives for players and corporations to get involved with. Are they gonna do anything about it is their business, I as a player gave feedback.

None of this however, is "whipping" the Devs in any way. It's pointing out facts and the truth, which isn't very pretty but still something that needed to be done. The alternative would be that we all collectively continue pretending there's nothing wrong and everything is perfect.

Note that 99,9% of these things - regarding POS, terraforming, Gamma islands etc - I've already said many times (including directly to the Devs when asked) long before the EVE Exodus came along. If memory serves, I did point out that without long-term goals for corporations, any players they get are just going to leave once they go through the "join corp -> grind X -> discover there's nothing to do but farm mobs, mine, and look for PVP" cycle.

Lo and behold... roll

CIR Complaint Form

I've a theory.

When developing at some point they may have said to themselves;

"This project still needs 12-18 months worth of development before its ready, but rather than wait this long to release it, we'll release it now but with very little market presence to deliberately keep player numbers low.   That way we have 12 months worth of feedback from a live environment"

So, their focus is not to develop with the purpose of trying to retain subscriptions because officially, the game isnt released yet and there is zero pressure on them to attract subscribers.

When we point out that they are failing and sub numbers are dropping, they dont care about that.  They are not interesting in developing features with the sole purpose of attracting or even retaining players.

Its like going to the bank and saying "Im going to open this business in 3 years"... but opening it 2 years early, you have the funds and no demands to perform and can do what you like.

In their eyes, they are not failing even if they only had one player, it doesn't matter.

I've many years of experience in business, and this is the only situation I can come up with that would explain their apparent total lack of interest in player numbers or subscribers.

At the moment, its just an experiment, a test server, a 'not-for-profit' project.

Snowman, I think you put what I was thinking down in words perfectly.
Either they don't care and they're planning to make a huge leap forward with "Perpetuum Real Release" or they honestly are seen to just not care at all.

I'd like to think it's the former rather than the latter.

I AM NOT A GM™