126 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-29 06:30:47)

Re: Indy Changes: "Replace" Epriton in t1.

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

Sandbox has always meant freedom, and choice to me.

Oh no, one single choice has been taken away! The sandbox has been destroyed! You took my freedom away!

Lol!

I would happiely see all the whine from Beta guys when somethink would be remove from Beta or a part of their Sandbox .....

Hell, this forum would explode within seconds from all the Beta whine!

Even wors ... remove a PvP part like docking games, ability to gang small miner bots or anythink else ... this forum would COLIDE till the DEVs would redo it yarr

127 (edited by Rodger Wilcoe 2011-07-29 07:48:25)

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Damn bro, do that in PVP and you'll be soloing all of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8 yarr

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

So is removing espitium from recycling.

Why, because you say so? Two can play that game. Or does it only apply when you say it?

My 300k ehp refrences dont have anything to do with new people.

So why bring it up when your primary concern seems to be for new people? Or are you changing your stance again?

Maybe I didn't state that simply enough for you to comprehend what I was trying to say.

Clearly not.

You're starting to sound like Nidhogg with your posts there Rodger.

Care to elaborate?

NeX might want to look into that.

Why? Is this a diplomatic thread? Am I speaking on behalf of NeX?

I'm trying not to break down and post a reply to every sentence you wrote

Of course not, that would mean addressing the flaws in your argument.

Mammoth wrote:

Seems like people aren't even reading what smokey says.

Rather hard when he keeps changing his stance. One moment his concern is that new players will be at a disadvantage, then suddenly shifts to it impacting older players like himself with 300k+ EP. I also had to laugh when you said coherent, are we talking about the same person?

Don't need to attack him or his argument because he is doing a perfect job of destroying it himself.

-----

Also for those whinging about how I quote, unlike some I actually read the rules such as #5:

Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

I quote the relevant part I am responding to.

Oh noes they are going to take away my old outpost mechanics! Imma ragequit now qq.

So far for "beta player rage on beta changes/removes".

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

129 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 11:01:22)

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:
Mammoth wrote:

Seems like people aren't even reading what smokey says.

Rather hard when he keeps changing his stance. One moment his concern is that new players will be at a disadvantage, then suddenly shifts to it impacting older players like himself with 300k+ EP. I also had to laugh when you said coherent, are we talking about the same person?

IDK, maybe english isn't your primary language. To me it was extremely obvious that he was highlighting the fact that if someone with 300k EP gets so little espitium, someone with 40k is going to get even less. I guess if you somehow missed that (as I said, perhaps you're not a native english speaker), it would be a bit difficult to find anyone coherent so long as that's the language being used.

Besides which, I don't quite understand how someone discussing a new point could possibly impact your ability to read what they're saying. Really? It's hard to read what he says because he said something different?

130 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-29 10:54:13)

So if they have no chance to compete with his 300k EP monster and even he admits he doesn't get much, why would anyone else bother and really notice the change?

Srsly get started again smokey, because you are changing your opinions as you see fit.

Again:
You are either getting godly amount and it should be nerfed or you are not getting much and the lack of espitium is not going to be a hit to the indus, it's just one less place where epriton based things will appear.

One thing I do agree do a respec for the HGR skill.

131 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 11:00:07)

I don't see him changing his opinions. I see him pointing out that it's not a huge amount of espitium, but something is better than nothing. Why is that difficult to understand? Seriously, I'm starting to get just a little bit suspicious that you guys might be pushing an agenda rather than discussing it rationally.

Yeah, because we sell all the epriton we mine, on alpha!

No, this is the point no real discussion can be had, because I have my view on the matter, Smokey has his and there is no common grounds on which we can meet.

Mammoth is him saying once that 70% of his espitium is from farming and then stating espitium is not that really much, is not changing his opinion? If 70% is barely anything I think we have some new maths, better than the Hungarian ones big_smile

70% of 10 is not very much compared to 7% of 1000. Now I'm hoping that you're just pushing an agenda, otherwise I would lose what little faith in the human ability to reason I have left.

Why are you attacking me? I am being reasonable - I don't call him an imbecile and give my view on the matter.
Attack him, he does both.

135 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 11:42:20)

Sorry, that was a bit of an attack, but I don't really know what else to say to you when you discuss percentages as totals. Most of his posts have provided something of substance to back up his argument, although I notice a dev has gone through and edited a few, so perhaps they were also full of pointless attacks at first. Most of the counterposts have had very little of substance and have involved things peripheral to the discussion, complete misinterpretations of his words, ad hominem attacks, and all the other goodies that make an argument look really weak.

That said, I don't think that removing safe alpha access to high level commodities is a big deal, assuming a few other changes are in the works regarding the market and/or gatewatchers. Epriton monopolies on beta are fine, provided there are means and motivation for alpha players to obtain reasonable quantities of it as well (which won't be the case if things are left as they stand and the population grows, but I trust the devs understand that).

There's a big rift on this forum between people who think increasing incentives will increase pvp activity, people who think lowering barriers to entry will increase pvp activity, and people who just don't want to be treated as second class citizens because they don't like pvp. Sadly, Jack is correct in saying that the majority of the playerbase falls into category three, even though the majority of forum posters fall into category one or two.

That aside however, I fall between category one and two. I think you need incentives, but you also need to keep entry barriers low. The problem I'm seeing is that more incentives are being provided but most of them are also raising the barriers to entry. Net change in pvp activity? Zero. Less activity actually if the barriers are already high, it's not going to be linear.

This is a good example. What happens when corps are big enough to guard their gates permanently? You said it yourself, we already stand at a point where no one wants to sell their epriton or epriton based commodities to alpha players. In the future, permanent gate guards and response teams along with no high level commodities from recycling means the only people who can compete are the ones who the incentives mean nothing to, they have already obtained those incentives.

136 (edited by Rodger Wilcoe 2011-07-29 11:48:49)

Mammoth wrote:

IDK, maybe english isn't your primary language.

To quote Korben Dallas - "I only speak two languages, English and bad English".

I'm not the only one highlighting his ever-changing argument.

Mammoth wrote:

Seriously, I'm starting to get just a little bit suspicious that you guys might be pushing an agenda rather than discussing it rationally.

Mammoth wrote:

Now I'm hoping that you're just pushing an agenda, otherwise I would lose what little faith in the human ability to reason I have left.

So what "agenda" would that be exactly? I can't wait to hear this.

Mammoth wrote:

Sorry, that was a bit of an attack

If you read back, the first to start with the abuse and attacks were those who disagree with this change.

I don't think that removing safe alpha access to high level commodities is a big deal, assuming a few other changes are in the works regarding the market and/or gatewatchers.

Like the changes to Beta ownership which I think perfectly compliment this change?

pvp activity

Only some people are pulling out the "PvP" element. This change does not inherently promote increased PvP.

Jack is correct in saying that the majority of the playerbase falls into category three

Really? Can I ask how you come to this conclusion? Or is it simply because more people live on Alpha?

What happens when corps are big enough to guard their gates permanently?

Then people either adapt or die. By the time every single Beta island can be guarded in such a manner, there will be a plethora of other changes made to the game.

No to mention there are more corps than CIR only, we don't do that but as you can see epriton is on the market.

138 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 12:13:57)

@Rodger

Australians speak English. Australian English if you like. His argument has been better than yours, signed, someone who disagrees with his argument. I can't wait either. Yes, I noticed, as I mentioned, did you read what you quoted, or only the section you're currently quoting? None of those changes will affect the flow of epriton to alpha. No, it doesn't, it promotes reduced pvp, as I mentioned in the very sentence you decided to quote two words out of. He has the numbers, anyone who has thought about it and researched it a little bit has also seen the numbers, most people don't like pvp, I do. You already quoted the section referring to this, why don't you go read it again.

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

plethora of other

There is no plethora! See, I can argue with the strawman by selectively quoting too. Go me, now everyone knows I'm right. Plethoras don't even exist!

@Norrdec

It's a valid point, I'd counter with the fact that ninja mining is pretty easy right now, I'd expect that to stop as things progress. I may be wrong, but it's not something I'd leave to chance, especially when the rational decision is to avoid selling it no matter how you obtain it. If you want pvp activity, you need people who can pvp competitively. Guys who can't build decent mods, mechs, or heavies are not exactly going to be taking over half the map. You want people to get involved, they need to be able to do it on a reasonably level playing field.

Mammoth wrote:

He has the numbers

Well if you go by his "numbers" argument, what people get from recycling is negligible, so in reality removing something that is negligible would have a negligible impact.

There is no plethora! See, I can argue with the strawman by selectively quoting too. Go me, now everyone knows I'm right.

So you are the only one allowed to make assumptions? Such as Betas being totally locked down? I'm sorry, I'll know for next time that only your assumptions are remotely plausible.

Plethoras don't even exist!

pleth·o·ra
noun/ˈpleTHərə/
plethoras, plural

An excess of (something)
        - a plethora of committees and subcommittees

140 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 12:26:08)

Awww, the numbers I was talking about were the numbers of players who are active in null sec vs the number of players who are active in high sec on eve. Nor is eve the only game where such studies have been done. Not even the only market sector. You're still arguing with the strawman anyway.

Let's see, good corps will watch their gates. Whether any corps turn out to be good is another question. Recycling won't provide epriton based commodities. Selling a useful military resource you have a monopoly on is stupid. Where do you suggest alpha players will be getting mechs from? Taking advantage of stupid people and bad corps? At least now they're able to get a 'negligible' amount of them. Take that away and they will need to implement other changes to increase the flow of epriton to alpha if they want to increase the number of people pvping, as I mentioned. In fact, I think they already need to.

Annnd way to miss the point on your little dictionary search there. Thanks for the support though.

Bad corps, no scouts at different time zones, trade contracts, ninja mining on empty island and other agreements.

142 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 12:35:39)

Yeah that's what I said Norrdec, bad corps and stupid people. Not the most reliable sources. Certainly not enough to go to war over an outpost with anyone who controls an outpost. Still, you can always run through the gate and log out of sight of the guard to come back later and steal some epri. Or kill the guard and do the same. As I said, I'm mostly just concerned that almost every change seems to increase the barrier to entry. This one in particular doesn't bother me, again, like I said, just using it as an example.

Ok new idea, trade contracts and other agreements.  Oh wait, you missed on that one because you couldn't say anything bad about it?

No, I'm pretty sure I covered selling military resources potential rivals have no access to under the 'stupidity' section.

On a side note, going to start anything, you are an alt or just want to sit neutral till you get gray hair?

146 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 12:55:14)

I'm an alt. I enjoy these kinds of discussions and often find myself not on the party line. Rather than alienate my corp and allies, I try for anonymity.

I was just making a tea and it occured to me that selling epriton, while a risk, could potentially pay off quite well for the largest corps. No one who needs to buy epriton is going to threaten them, so they're really just destabilising their potential enemies by arming their enemies, at no net cost to themselves. Yes, there are issues with being publicly tied to it if discovered, and of course you can't sell on the open market because you have no control over who is buying, but it's there, so I was definitely wrong on that. My stupidity tongue

If it doesnt matter, and it's a little amount why leave it in....
If it doesnt matter, and it's a little amount why take it out....

As mammoth said, it might be a little bit, but at least it's something. If a guy wants to spend 20 hours farming for 3,000 espitium, when he could have gotten it much faster from a number of diffrent ways, what's the big deal?

Reset each other yet?

Jack Jombardo wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

I wouldn't mind if there was an alternate recipe for the three epi required thingies that took more cash to produce. Seems like a good way to deal with it.

That way folks who can't get epi have the ability to produce stuff that uses it, albeit at higher cost than if they used epi. So not as profitable and more time consuming to get the required stuff, but at least an alternate path would exist.

That way we'd avoid the problem of needif a resource taken from an owne location to build the stuff necessary to take that location.

Lol, didn't thought it can happen but ... with this I could live wink

Beta people want to much for Epri ... np, Alpha people use the alternative no-Epri recipe.
Beta people can't sell their overpriced Epri and go back to normal price ... fine, Alpha people buy Epri again.

And still ... there is absolut NO NEED to change anythink in recipt for T1 moduls!
All that is needed, is to tweaked the MEs for the tiers so you can get good results quick for T1 but need a full build Producer for T4(p).

Right, it's simple. The same basic thing you see with the oil deposits in the tar sands in Canada. If oil prices get high enough (due to a s/d mismatch) they get used, otherwise they get ignored because the cost of production is high.

We need an alternate route, and this is a simple one. It'd do a lot to help the market because there'd be no reason to not sell epi anymore -- people would just use the more expensive alternate route because, hey, more expensive is better than nothing.

WHY the hell do you guys allways want to NERF other? Removing high end Materials IS a nerf to the hole Recycling Industrie which is NOT needed at all!

Recycling is doing just fine. We get a decent chunk of minerals from recycling every day. It helps us keep up production and meet shortfalls.

But tbqfh, we need those modules to keep all our lines on dedicated indybears set to producing t2+ stuff so it's not something that super affects us.

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

What's really funny, is you guys are the ones I'm trying to look out for here. Sooner or later you'll be in my shoes if you decide to stick around.

Bull. Any player, even one with with low skills, can insure their argano and grab some epi without too much risk. We do it every day.

Heck, you can even do it in a light or assault if you want something that you can run away in.

Our corp has an advantage here because we're numerous enough that this will get us the minimum we need to keep production going. Not every corp can do that. So we need an alternate and more expensive to use recipe for the three compounds that require epi.

SmokeyIndustries wrote:
What's really funny, is you guys are the ones I'm trying to look out for here. Sooner or later you'll be in my shoes if you decide to stick around.
Bull. Any player, even one with with low skills, can insure their argano and grab some epi without too much risk. We do it every day.

Heck, you can even do it in a light or assault if you want something that you can run away in.

Our corp has an advantage here because we're numerous enough that this will get us the minimum we need to keep production going. Not every corp can do that. So we need an alternate and more expensive to use recipe for the three compounds that require epi.

Yes, of course that's true, but I bet you also have a recycler (you should, if you dont), and I'm sure you're doing tons and tons of farming now for kernels. Getting espitium from recycling helps you just as much as it helps everyone else in the game... yes even me.

Reset each other yet?

We get way more from mining it. You'd be amazed what percentage of farmed modules go straight into the t2+ lines or pvp. Just isn't much left _to_ recycle.

You'd be better off and I'd be better off and every player'd be better off if there was a more expensive way to get the same stuff. Our problem isn't insufficient supply, it's people making a strategic decision to not sell in order to choke their opponents of the gear and bots they need to compete.

The intrusion change took a dump on that mentality by making light bots a viable option for taking turf, but it's still something that'll be in people's heads. Right or wrong, they don't want to lose their turf and they think selling epi would eventually bring that about.

Us, we think selling epi would make for more entertaining fights later on, and if we end up losing our turf to someone we sold epi to, welp dat life. No turf yet, but I have a feeling we'll get some soon and then our opinions on the subject will be a lil more relevant.