Re: Indy Changes: "Replace" Epriton in t1.

I still think you're missing the point. The reward you get for your risk is justified with epritron, wether your an outpost owning corporation or ninja mining it. I'm glad that you found somehting you enjoy doing in the game.

There are some people that dont want to go to beta. At all. Period. EVER. NO MATTER WHAT FOR. They pay money to play the game, same as you. I am not one of those people. I have lived on beta, and ninja mined on beta, and pvp'd on beta. (Just setting the record straight). Currently they have but a few choices in game for aquiring espitium (still don't know why people keep talking so much about epriton). They can mine it themselves, buy/trade with some that mines it AND recycle it from loot.

What this means to people is they can play the game, and not care about what happens on beta, not care that if one corp where somehow able to lock down all islands and prevent epriton from being offloaded to alpha, they can still aquire espitium thru recycling. Yes, it's less efficient, Yes mining epriton is the best nic per hour thing you can do in the game (maybe production, but that's kind of a diffrent story, is better) but what does that matter to the corp/person who supports it's self thru ratting, if that's what they choose to do?

Reset each other yet?

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

I still think you're missing the point. The reward you get for your risk is justified with epritron, wether your an outpost owning corporation or ninja mining it. I'm glad that you found somehting you enjoy doing in the game.

There are some people that dont want to go to beta. At all. Period. EVER. NO MATTER WHAT FOR. They pay money to play the game, same as you. I am not one of those people. I have lived on beta, and ninja mined on beta, and pvp'd on beta. (Just setting the record straight). Currently they have but a few choices in game for aquiring espitium (still don't know why people keep talking so much about epriton). They can mine it themselves, buy/trade with some that mines it AND recycle it from loot.

What this means to people is they can play the game, and not care about what happens on beta, not care that if one corp where somehow able to lock down all islands and prevent epriton from being offloaded to alpha, they can still aquire espitium thru recycling. Yes, it's less efficient, Yes mining epriton is the best nic per hour thing you can do in the game (maybe production, but that's kind of a diffrent story, is better) but what does that matter to the corp/person who supports it's self thru ratting, if that's what they choose to do?

Well, if they support themselves through ratting, they should buy stuff off the market. I support myself through ratting, I buy stuff off the market.

For alpha indy corps, an additional alpha only mineral recipe for the epi requiring compounds would give them a less efficient option for doing the same thing. So that's how they'd handle things.

I'm not sure what you're arguing against me for. The change to t1 gear will help new players a lot as it'll make a wide range of gear cheaper. Only a small subset of older players actively uses it to produce, and they'd be better served by an alternate formula.

Eve made it clear that minerals coming from rats rather than miners is a great way to eliminate mining as a profession. So it's a good change.

AeonThePiglet wrote:
SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Well, if they support themselves through ratting, they should buy stuff off the market. I support myself through ratting, I buy stuff off the market.

For alpha indy corps, an additional alpha only mineral recipe for the epi requiring compounds would give them a less efficient option for doing the same thing. So that's how they'd handle things.

I'm not sure what you're arguing against me for. The change to t1 gear will help new players a lot as it'll make a wide range of gear cheaper. Only a small subset of older players actively uses it to produce, and they'd be better served by an alternate formula.

Eve made it clear that minerals coming from rats rather than miners is a great way to eliminate mining as a profession. So it's a good change.

PS. this isnt eve... mining is vastly more profitable and efficient then ratting -- for resources!
I guess you missed the post with an effective comprimise was suggested, still allowing for you to have your very cheap production of t1 stuff, switching recycling espitium to something else and making it a little bit more valuable.

Reset each other yet?

Are you suggesting a second refining method to make espitium?

One of the issues with this is cost still.

Lets say espitium is valued at about 1500 NIC because the value is based on the fluctuating price of epitron. Any alternate refining method would require it to cost at least that much in alpha based materials; something like

Titan 750 (375 NIC)
HDT 750 (375 NIC)
Luiz 430 (750 NIC)

per (1) espitium

Now, it generally takes 30-50 titan ore to make a commodity.

What's going to happen is either alpha players are going to start making Espitium in volume and selling it, which will drive down the price to the point where no one would need to use epitron to make it, or just from normal volumes, the prices of titan will go up because of the very large amounts now needed to manufactor a single espitium.

For example, it takes 3000 esptium to make a T3 prototype, that's 2.25M titan ore verses about 40k that's needed now.

It was a good thought, but the amounts of 'cheap' material that would be needed to make espitium would make the price of everything go up.

@Smokey:

Yeah. It used to be in EVE too, before refining got out of hand.

Arga wrote:

One of the issues with this is cost still.

Lets say espitium is valued at about 1500 NIC because the value is based on the fluctuating price of epitron. Any alternate refining method would require it to cost at least that much in alpha based materials; something like

Titan 750 (375 NIC)
HDT 750 (375 NIC)
Luiz 430 (750 NIC)

per (1) espitium

Now, it generally takes 30-50 titan ore to make a commodity.

What's going to happen is either alpha players are going to start making Espitium in volume and selling it, which will drive down the price to the point where no one would need to use epitron to make it, or just from normal volumes, the prices of titan will go up because of the very large amounts now needed to manufactor a single espitium.

For example, it takes 3000 esptium to make a T3 prototype, that's 2.25M titan ore verses about 40k that's needed now.

It was a good thought, but the amounts of 'cheap' material that would be needed to make espitium would make the price of everything go up.

Actually, since the market is rather illiquid at the moment, I'd rather it be based on time comparisons rather than nic comparisons. Getting the alternate formula for a non-epi version of an epi based compound should straight up take more time. That would give epi a big advantage, and would cause the market to adjust as necessary.

Something has to go up if you want to turn an existing item into something that can be refined into epi based compounds. I don't doubt we'll have plenty of minerals to spare one way or another, and that this will serve as a nice sink for all those extra minerals. Keeping mining relevant is sort of important if you want people to be active outside, after all.

156 (edited by Rodger Wilcoe 2011-07-29 23:54:20)

***Apologies for another monster post, the discussion continued while I was asleep***

Mammoth wrote:

This one in particular doesn't bother me

For something that doesn't particularly bother you, you are arguing against it pretty hard, or rather against those who support it.

Mammoth wrote:

I'm an alt.

I think that was pretty obvious by your attitude.

I try for anonymity

It's okay, I'm used to people without the backbone to stand by their statements in EVE.

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

If it doesnt matter, and it's a little amount why take it out....

Because the way the mechanic is with that particular resource, it shouldn't be gained through recycling the lowest tier modules.

what's the big deal?

As Mammoth is so fond of saying now, "you are missing the point".

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Getting espitium from recycling helps you just as much as it helps everyone else in the game... yes even me.

So you know what benefits our corp better than we do?

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

There are some people that dont want to go to beta. At all. Period. EVER. NO MATTER WHAT FOR.

Perhaps the DEVs want to discourage that mentality, or correct what they see as a loop-hole to a high-level material, or quite simply free up T1 manufacturing for new players.

It is impossible to give everything what they "want". Like in the real world, you don't always get what you "want".

Some of us want it gone, others don't. Some will get what they want, others won't.

They pay money to play the game, same as you.

Surprised this didn't come up sooner to be honest.

What this means to people is they can play the game, and not care about what happens on beta

That is the "microcosm" mentality that I personally believe is a bad thing. For a critical and rare resource, when it's supply is threatened it should echo throughout the game.

The spice must flow.

they can still aquire espitium thru recycling

Which is why it is a loop-hole, inefficient or not. If you really want it, recycle T2+ modules.

Arga wrote:

I think Aeon might be but my earlier suggestion was simply having two different build requirements on the CT. An efficient method and a less efficient method.

The less efficient method would use more lower-end materials in place of high-ends. Overall the cost would be significantly more (maybe say, 15%), but at least they would be buildable in a high-end shortage.

Could even make it that each bot has quality grades, based on what it was made with. The lower quality materials, the less hitpoints or such. If the quality grade was used, the less quality bots would work out cheaper, just not as strong as the high quality version.

For an analogy:

Stone Spear vs Bronze Spear vs Iron Spear

That would only occur if people were unable to use the efficient method.

157 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-30 00:09:45)

I'm honestly not even sure why you persist Rodger. At least this time you managed to include two actual points in your half page, dozen quote post alongside the random irrelevancies, strawmen, ad hominem attacks, and avoidances.

Mammoth wrote:

alongside the random irrelevancies, strawmen, ad hominem attacks, and avoidances.

Well I give back what I receive smile

The difference of course being that we both know I can go through your posts and point out several examples of each, while you're just hurling mud and hoping it will stick. You could stretch my disdain for your lack of coherence into ad hominem I suppose.

I wasn't simply referring to you. Your perceived pedestal of superiority must come with quite a view.

By your own admission this change doesn't really bother you, so why such a desire to argue about it, or rather take the discussion off-topic?

161 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-30 01:06:28)

My first post should have told you that. I may not care too much about the matter under discussion, but terrible arguing bothers me a lot, especially when it comes from people I agree with. Several guys ganging up to try to drown Smokey out with nothing but white noise does nothing to help the discussion, and reduces the tone of the forum enough to impact on future discussions too. Between all of you you could have come up with something of substance to argue against him. At least you have this morning. If only you could have kept your post to those points it would have done so much more for your case.

Instead you keep including all this irrelevant crap that just makes you look as though you're clutching at straws. Plus taking the time to focus on tiny irrelevant details makes it look like your position is so weak you can't afford to let anything go, even if it's offtopic. Lastly, as I mentioned yesterday, when you selectively quote so that you can misinterpret someone and argue with the misinterpretation, anyone with two or more brain cells to rub together automatically thinks that you tried to come up with something to counter what was actually said and simply have nothing.

Mammoth wrote:

drown Smokey out with nothing but white noise

You mean contradictory opinions?

Between all of you you could have come up with something of substance to argue against him.

Just because you don't consider our arguments "of substance" doesn't mean they aren't.

At least you have this morning. If only you could have kept your post to those points it would have done so much more for your case.

You really should re-read the thread. My argument unlike some has been consistent the entire thread, elaborating when necessary. I've only retorted to sarcasm and childish behaviour when it was levelled against me or others.

Instead you keep including all this irrelevant crap that just makes you look as though you're clutching at straws.

It is no more "irrelevant" or "clutching at straws" than your assumptions of total Beta lockdowns for instance.

Lastly, as I mentioned yesterday, when you selectively quote so that you can misinterpret someone and argue with the misinterpretation

I've already explained why I selectively quote, I guess you missed that. Also I don't see you trying to correct or clarify, just retorting with some pseudo-intellectual "hurr durr" behind an alt.

I'm done discussing it with you, I have better things to do.

163 (edited by Jack Jombardo 2011-07-30 12:33:39)

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Well, if they support themselves through ratting, they should buy stuff off the market.

Like beta guys should buy Tritanium from the Market?

Well, no, they just let their 3. 4th or 5th ACC afk mine on Alpha *sig* WITHOUT any risk (risk v reward? which risk?). Or Refine TONs of Material out of all the T1 loot they get on Betas.

Guy, this "tirit for alpha, epri for beta" just don't work!

Our real money we pay for our ACCs is as good as yours and when we like to be 100% independent ... well, it's part of the Sandbox you guys love so much.

There is no reason, to remove Espit from T1 ... EXCEPT to secure higher Beta Player income!
And that's all you care about. Not about balance or "how can we make it easier for new players". You want more personal income ... nothink more to say.

We need no new recipts, we need no remove of Espit from T1. All we need are tweaked MEs for the different item tiers to help new producers. And helping them is the intent of this change! NOT to give Beta players even a minmal advantage over Alpha players.
And that all this change should do: help new producers!

And you guys try hardcore to get your hand on any advantage (better monopol) you can get. Which does NOT help new producers!

you might want to note that nex (which aeon is a member of) do not currently own a beta outpost. Please check that your insults for validity

Too long of a thead to read, but my 2 NIC:

I'm a pure alpha industry player and I welcome the changes. I think people far overstate the impact on some alpha players. Further, in the past few weeks epriton has been flowing more and more, so there should not be any massive hindrance on alpha production.

The changes are in my opinion good because:

• Cheap PvP

• All standard items will be more newbie friendly (with regards to price)

Regarding the alpha-beta interdependence, I think this is ultimately a good thing, we want to encourage trade between the islands and make them connected. And why on earth should the cheapest and most low-end of items contain such fancy materials anyways?

Jack Jombardo wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

Well, if they support themselves through ratting, they should buy stuff off the market.

Like beta guys should buy Tritanium from the Market?

Well, no, they just let their 3. 4th or 5th ACC afk mine on Alpha *sig* WITHOUT any risk (risk v reward? which risk?). Or Refine TONs of Material out of all the T1 loot they get on Betas.

Guy, this "tirit for alpha, epri for beta" just don't work!

Our real money we pay for our ACCs is as good as yours and when we like to be 100% independent ... well, it's part of the Sandbox you guys love so much.

There is no reason, to remove Espit from T1 ... EXCEPT to secure higher Beta Player income!
And that's all you care about. Not about balance or "how can we make it easier for new players". You want more personal income ... nothink more to say.

We need no new recipts, we need no remove of Espit from T1. All we need are tweaked MEs for the different item tiers to help new producers. And helping them is the intent of this change! NOT to give Beta players even a minmal advantage over Alpha players.
And that all this change should do: help new producers!

And you guys try hardcore to get your hand on any advantage (better monopol) you can get. Which does NOT help new producers!

Hi doofus, NEX lives on Shinj. I realize you dont leave the A1 islands, but Shinj is an A2 not a beta. We'll get one eventually, but for now we ninja and make do.

Our biggest bottleneck is titan, not epi. We produce enormous quantities of gear every day, and it turns out the sheer volume of titan we need is incredibly high. We've had to reduce our output while increasing the size of our mining team.

Weird, huh?

I've suggested two things. That epi should be removed from t1 modules (because a significant number of t1 mods critical to pvp and pve require it and are stupid expensive) and that an alternative recipe for the epi requiring refined minerals be created that is more inefficient than the epi recipe but requires alpha minerals only.

*edit: Offensive comments remove. Please keep the discussions civil. - DEV Calvin