Topic: Summer Goodie List Pt 1 - Outpost ownership

Always fun to get news and information about upcoming items.

The single biggest piece of new stuff is the change in outpost ownership, something that has been talked about since day 1.

* a system which would be able to prevent one corporation to gain total dominance in the ownership of outposts.

-outpost maintenance fees.
     ) first outpost will be free ...  no upkeep necessary
     ) additional owned outpost will have exponentially higher maintenance fees.
     ) set a priority list ... will be lost first, in case the corporation is not able to pay the upkeep for all of them.

- headquarters
   ) control access of others to the outpost, based on their relation settings towards them.
   ) purchase various upgrades for it

Of these, being able to control access is what makes this a Player Owned Structure when these changes are implemented.

Impact of this type of system:

Depending on the 'exponential' cost of ownership, the Beta-I Islands with (3) outposts are most likely going to be owned by Alliances, with each Corp owning 1 free outpost. Only the largest corps with persistant income will have more than 1 outpost.

The taking of outposts to deny access to the enemy will now be a valid short-term strategy, with dramatic impact. I believe what we will see is Beta Corps having an Alpha Contingent for production and storage of bots incase their outpost is taken and access denied.

What is for certain, "Ownership" of an outpost will have a much larger effect on the game, which means that the Intrusion system had better be tuned accordingly before this is implemented.

Re: Summer Goodie List Pt 1 - Outpost ownership

The whole idea of making the first free and extra ones costs scale up, makes me wonder how they'll stop people from just creating holding corps for each outpost to make it free all around. Maybe there's an easy fix or concept im missing, but just a thought I had while eating my lunch and reading posts. >.>

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

I'm thinking that even the first one needs to have a cost of some sort. Like fuel. Or something.

The energy credit system is 'per' corp. Having a holding company would allow them to bypass the fee, but they would have to have corp members in that corp for them to 'donate' credits. Also, corp members would not be able to access the corp storage of the 'holding company' or any corp market. As well as some 'upgrades' only being available for corp members.

It's a good thought though, and maybe the inconvience of a holding corp would be offset by the savings of a second or 3rd outpost. Technically, there really isn't that much differnce between 'alliances' and 'holding corps' in the way this system deals with it. I can say, that not having access to corporate folders would make using an outpost very inconvient.

I like the concept that some upgrades/bonuses/features will be corps specific and there should be more of these to prevent ownership by holding corps. Using dumb alts or holding corps is a way to bend the mechanics, hopefully in the future there will be a full featured Alliance system which extends these concepts to make it beneficial to be in a working alliance where negatives are offset by the bonuses granted...

There is a truly expandable system underneath this in which only the imagination of the community and the DEVs is the real constraint (well that and convincing Calvin to release his death grip on the other devs to implement some of our ideas tongue).

Upgrades and Auras sound fantastic and I hope that further 'real' POS have some way of tying in to these initial systems to again provide bonuses both for the corps that work to hold the OP and to the rest of the gaming community if some bonuses are publicly made available..

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

This feature is what i was waiting from implementation of intrusions.
Customizable outpost is a feature what will stick corporation members around their structures. The great addition to the stuff, what mentioned above, could be stationary turrets what will be disabled (weakened) (?) during intrusion time.

But still players, who are awaiting huge landmass with incredible size, and procedural generated landscape, have not good news. I should admit again, this game will be "trololo pew-pew" sandbox, till huge landmass will be implemented, what will rise this game to the new level.

Its off topic, large land mass, but I'm skeptical it will have the effect players are thinking it will. Many many players said the 'More Islands' is what we need, then its "No, wait - we meant more land, but just 1 big one". I'm not saying that a large mass isn't going to be good to have, but it's being heralded as a way to 'Fix PVP' now.

Spreading a limited number of players over a larger area is not the way to fix the current issue of PVP; the current issue being not enough PVP players.

To tie this back to my subject, the way to get more PVP is to concentrate players around objectives; like outposts.

Personally, I think that calling for a big land mass is for pirates that want to roam around beta without running into Corporate troops patrolling 'Their Island'. And yes, more land will do that, but pirates are 'gankers', looking for weak prey not for PVP.

I think the counter to the large land mass is as Alexadar's point that corporations should be taking OPs and land then defending it. Right now I take an OP and mine/farm whilst there is no nme. If an nme comes, I can fight them or if I dont have the forces, I can either go roam somewhere else or dock up...

What I would like to see is other parts of OP's that grant a +ve bonus whilst held and a -ve bonus if attacked and controlled by an nme group. This will concentrate dedicated forces in geographic areas, mean the roamers and the free corporations know where to go for fights and gives something to the holding corps to control/own and exploit (not in the bad way).

I love the concept, but unless they are vulnerable, except to the rubbish intrusion system we have now, it becomes take it, use it then defend when alarm clock goes off and I don't even actually HAVE to be there..

9 (edited by Arga 2011-06-07 19:40:46)

Defending is boring... so the roam is born.

If anything requires defense 24/7 and is valuable, Corps will burn out players forcing them to defend it. If it is valuable, corps will put adequate defense in place to secure it. They don't want a 'fair' fight when it comes to losing their outpost and risk losing access to all thier production and storage. What will happen is the same thing at launch, when beta corps still felt that 'owning' an outpost had some value, which is TP camping. And TP camping leads to bordom quitting, for both defenders and small aggressors.

As I said before, the only way to generate small combat groups is to create an intermediate zone between the valuable POS and the enemy. Some place that the OP owner can send out small groups to patrol while retaining a 'significant' force in reserve to defend if a large group is spotted by the roaming groups.

Edit: However, like in Risk, it is very difficult to defend a large area so corps will try to create an "Austrailia" scenerio by creating or controlling choke points; or by having such a large alliance that they put '100 units' at all the entry points to "Russia".

10 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-06-07 19:51:18)

The OP changes are an interesting way of making people pay attention to them more, but they wont solve the issue of small scale PvP not really existing. Why doesn't it exist? Because the main 'event' in this game is based on a set schedule, which in a sandbox( sorry for being blunt ) is absolutely STUPID.

We don't have a lot of people in game, this is true. But making people flock to OP's more with PvE benefits will likely only attract gankers and pirates. Sure it creates a facet of PvP, but it's not one that I think is intended. People living around these outposts are probably farming bots or mining, they're not hugging the OP's like the features want them to, to PvP.

We're still lacking small scale PvP objectives. I've said it before, we need some sort of POS system that's 100% controlled by players. Meaning, they can be attacked at any time and offlined to negate their benefits. Giving people the choice of when they want to fight will create more PvP situations. Granted, you will also probably need to give incentive to offline an enemies POS's, but that's something further down the road in balance.

OP's are interesting and all but the event to take them is static and boring. We need interactive PvP, we need objectives that have real-time effects that can draw people to them at any given time.

Until this happens, all we're going to have is over-crowded intrusion events and roamers looking for easy kills.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Arga wrote:

Defending is boring... so the roam is born.

If anything requires defense 24/7 and is valuable, Corps will burn out players forcing them to defend it. If it is valuable, corps will put adequate defense in place to secure it. They don't want a 'fair' fight when it comes to losing their outpost and risk losing access to all thier production and storage. What will happen is the same thing at launch, when beta corps still felt that 'owning' an outpost had some value, which is TP camping. And TP camping leads to bordom quitting, for both defenders and small aggressors.

As I said before, the only way to generate small combat groups is to create an intermediate zone between the valuable POS and the enemy. Some place that the OP owner can send out small groups to patrol while retaining a 'significant' force in reserve to defend if a large group is spotted by the roaming groups.

Edit: However, like in Risk, it is very difficult to defend a large area so corps will try to create an "Austrailia" scenerio by creating or controlling choke points; or by having such a large alliance that they put '100 units' at all the entry points to "Russia".

To pick on you slightly Arga.....Frankly I find roaming with no targets boring... I spent 2.5hrs of my precious gametime the other night wandering around the beta islands for squat. Even when there are targets, either i get the fast trip home or we get 5mins of excitement and the rest of the island/corps/alliance blobs us or logs, again back to no targets.

Frankly I see a lot of the more vocal people on these boards being the "i wanna gank miners where are my targets" crew who want to force everyone to play THEIR game. I dont mind hanging around an OP doing stuff, I wish there was more to do (i.e. missions, EC gaining, mining, farming) and when people want to come press on MY playstyle I'll get out the pew pew and teach em how bad of an idea it is.

I like to co-exist, I'm there are people who want to roam and I will accomodate that playstyle, my main gripe is that this will boil down to an FPS in an MMO and the real sandbox will get eroded to cater for the "I WANNA ROAM" crowd because others won't stand up for other playstyles.

I would prefer some outlier POS type structures, like was suggested above, a mining bonus generator, this gives a predictable point for miners to be, makes it more essential to have protection and therefore more viable for roamers to find targets and actually have a fight.

Rant over big_smile

12 (edited by Celebro 2011-06-07 20:18:02)

Grim Faust wrote:

The OP changes are an interesting way of making people pay attention to them more, but they wont solve the issue of small scale PvP not really existing. Why doesn't it exist? Because the main 'event' in this game is based on a set schedule, which in a sandbox( sorry for being blunt ) is absolutely STUPID.

Agree, pvp gameplay reminds of the Fight club movie. Setting combat on a schedule really breaks the sandbox. I still believe PVE and the new player experience is in more urgent need of a fix before OP ownership. This will bring in more players, with double or triple the numbers online at peak time will make pvp more likely and interesting even with no outpost ownership.

RIP PERPETUUM

Your not picking on me smile

There is the group of players that simply want to play for PVP, they'll do the alt mining and what not to support the corp, but really they want something to fight.

But here again lies the issue, if something is worth defending, its worth doing it with enough force to accomplish it.

If roaming gangs are about 5-6 players, defenders will field 10-12. There is a fundamental difference between the 'roamers' out looking for some PVP and defenders out to 'protect' assests. Defenders don't want to play a fair game, as they have something at stake (losing 100M worth of mining bots maybe), while roamers are only risking what their own bot.

Perpetuum needs to match up the two somehow, that is pit Roamer vs Roamer and Defender vs. Aggressor. The difference between a Roam and an agressor is they are out to specifically challange some strategic activity such as mining to cut into the enemy's supply, so they will bring a large well equipt group for that purpose. That is aggressors, like defenders, are out to 'win' not just to have some fun; although they should have some fun while fighting, its the difference in motivation and objectives.

So... There needs to be something that moves roamers into the same area. The current thought it seems is to put alpha farmers out onto beta as bait for roamers, and walla - roamers will fight each other instead of hitting the sheep? No, only if they can win will they engage, so the 'larger' roaming groups will chase the smaller ones and again, no PVP will be had. Just like nuclear material, just putting roaming groups in the same place won't cause them to explode into combat; they have to be packed together.

POS structures are the same issue is your thinking of them as "roamer" bait. If the POS is expensive, and they get destroyed too easily, then corps won't use them regardless of the benefit, so not bait. If they are cheap, corps won't bother defending them, so not very good bait. If they are expensive, and worth having, then they will be defended by enough troops that roamers won't have a chance, so not good bait. Good for agressors though.

Group 1 - Beta corps with assets to lose and defend
Group 2 - Alpha corps that raid beta for fun and ninja mining
Group 3 - Solo or small groups that raid beta for PVP only

- Which group should the gamestyle support?

The intrusion system prevents the game turning into 5 AM alarm clock raids. POS yeah sure, but if you can lose your outpost because you can't get up at 5 AM because you have to get up for work like normal people, whats the point in bothering to put in the effort?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Arga wrote:

Stuff...

- Which group should the gamestyle support?

In my opinion all.

Group 1 should be harassable by roamers - what a lot of the PvP junkies want is to turn up in cheap crap and blow up 100m NIC of stuff and run away, this is unbalanced. Taking my 100m POS should take 100m of bots and time - see stEVE and POS with Siege Mode (not saying we should have that here, it illustrates a point)

Group 2 should be able to supply materials to beta corps they work with and harass the enemy when they want to, they won't be taking POS but they can assist or do guerilla stuff such as concentrating on the Group 1 roaming gangs.

Group 3 is like Group 2 without the mining, they just don't want big stuff because it means having to get away from the "oh *** too many bots RUN AWAY" mentality and thus don't want Group 1 to exist as it would mean certain aspects of PvP would be effectively closed to them.

The only Group which feels out of place is Group 3, Group 1 can live with 2 and 3, its part of their gamestyle. Group 2 can be content in being part of the larger game by working with friendly Group 1 and fighting enemy Group 2 and 3.

Group 3 turns out to be the socially awkward ones because the only people they think give them 'real competition' are other Group 3 and then they whine there's no targets.

If all we get is more stuff for Group 3 and mechanics tending to that playstyle, you might as well fire up MW2 or COD and take that whole boring losing stuff and having to build stuff out of the game cos it gets in the way of Group 3's playstyle.

Absolutelly agree with both of last  Kalsius´s posts.
Do not focus on the vocals only. Since outpost´s intrusion have alrdy been bit tweaked and doubt any more change would fix any better the current situation. A system of POS, even simple one; with mining bonuses, or alike as has been mentioned too; may be imo a good solution to drag more ppl into beta islands and make them stay there, giving again a real utility of living in a beta outpost since you would be living closer to your POS in order to defend it properlly.
The cost/risk issue its the one that should be balanced very carefully; its could be like the incubators where you can pay some cash and defend or supervise your plant untill you have reimbursed the cost, or simply plant it there and go by later with higher risk, having a chance of getting a bad result. Just make it a little more complex, like relation dependant or extension, with high costs and a chance of dying by itself or not being productive-efective (ofc only from market, no crafteable).+hf all

Celebro wrote:

Setting combat on a schedule really breaks the sandbox. I still believe PVE and the new player experience is in more urgent need of a fix before OP ownership. This will bring in more players, with double or triple the numbers online at peak time will make pvp more likely and interesting even with no outpost ownership.

+1

Whats the first thing you see as a noob in this game 10 missions and sequers flying by you... Expand the PVE options and the PVP will follow easily.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Celebro wrote:

... SNIP!

I still believe PVE and the new player experience is in more urgent need of a fix before OP ownership. This will bring in more players, with double or triple the numbers online at peak time will make pvp more likely and interesting even with no outpost ownership.

+1
New players need catering.

What discouraged me when I started playing P.O. was the fact that the grinding starts from the moment you end the tutorial.

The second thing is the travel times. Getting around really feels like driving your car to work.

These can be accepted by people familiar to the genre who suspect that there is something better afterwards. Not everyone is willing to go through a long boring grinding phase to get to the good stuff. Most people want to have fun from day one.

Make a linear mission system. Bring the npcs closer to the station. Auto deploy a teleport beacon back to station when mission is completed. Currently the new player is offered a menu of 10 missions to grind. He spends more time walking than fighting or mining. He can’t even go pour himself a drink while all that senseless walking is being done.

No matter how boring they are, I know that grinding and walking are pvp fuel, so I accept them. To the new player grinding and walking are the only things he gets ie the worst part of the game, right from day one.

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Make a linear mission system. Bring the npcs closer to the station. Auto deploy a teleport beacon back to station when mission is completed.

hmm, missing the "INC" button for an airlift...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

That's one thing that I miss, being able to just go back to the outpost at the end of my game session. I'm not saying Perp actually needs a 'hearthstone' effect, but being able to 'recall' your bot once a day while on alpha Islands only would be great. It would have to be alpha only, because it would be too easy to just 'escape' from beta island after ninja mining or popping out after a roam. To tie this into the subject however, is the talk about 'spark' transfer.

The ability to 'own' the outpost is going to eliminate the ability for your enemy to put 100 bots in your outpost and then just 'spark' over to it at intrusion time; which maybe one of the reasons the dev's choose to add this in.

21 (edited by Knuckles 2011-06-09 17:59:28)

Annihilator wrote:

hmm, missing the "INC" button for an airlift...

man i miss auto assault =]