Re: PO Needs new players, here's how to keep me...

Nope, they'll just whine about blobbing.

This isn't about game A vs game b, or how people shuffle in to different brackets. Here we’re looking at people who do fit in to the “I like PO” bracket. Obviously no one is being forced to play PO and that's not really a point to expand upon and it would be a poor choice for a dev to ever say like it or lump it. The point to expand upon is how to keep players that like this game, interested, and you can't really pin the solution on saying that the players need to find their own way to keep themselves amused. The expansion and appeal of a sandbox game is by how much you can do in it, which inherently caters to a very diverse selection of players if done right. Sandbox games are called such because of their preset style of being able to loosely do as you please. But that's directly related to what systems you have to work with in the first place.

When you develop a platform, here being a 'sandbox' game, you need to provide tools/systems ( content ) to keep people on your platform. The success of your platform is pivotal on the content you provide for people to interact with and how they can interact with it. There can be many off shoots and player driven events based off these tools, but we can’t look past the point that these tools initially have to come from the developers. From people I know that have quit and the general postings on the forums here, people aren't leaving because PO is fatally flawed, unstable, buggy, horribly developed, stupid in nature; it's because people are getting bored and not seeing much to do in this game with the current content. Look at the topic count in the feature discussion forum, it's the largest sub-forum in these forums for a reason. People are starved for content, so much, that they're literally throwing piles of ideas at the dev's to try and get them to add something interesting in one respect or another. When people are talking more about what should be in a game as opposed to what is in a game, that just may be a hint that there's a shortfall with the onus being on the developers. Which is exactly the reason why we post all this stuff, we want the developers to know what’s up and what we’d like to see more or less of.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Nope, they'll just whine about blobbing.

This is a game that emulates warfare and politics. I have to wonder when there has ever been a point in history where a nation and it's buddies ever cited; " Hey, you know, our adversaries don't really have that many assets. Let's keep things interesting and leave some of our boys at home." Never. It's not called blobbing in real life, it's called military might. How do people expunge one of the leading factors of war throughout history from a game centric on war? This game is by and largely a nation/war sim and the scenarios in this game are sculpted by human nature. It should be no surprise when you piss someone off that has more buddies than you that you're gonna get a caning. And hey, nothing's stopping others from doing the same thing in retaliation. Above all, this is a game meant to entertain, but to some that doesn't always mean by having fair fights. Sometimes it's just plain fun to crush the opposition and I doubt many can refute that. If people want a 'fair' game with even teams, maybe they should play volleyball or something because PO clearly isn't for them.

He said two pvpers online will make content for one another. I said they'll whine about blobbing.

Video games and real life have nothing in common, trying to draw parallels between them is hilariously fail.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

He said two pvpers online will make content for one another. I said they'll whine about blobbing.

Video games and real life have nothing in common, trying to draw parallels between them is hilariously fail.

I didn't realize you were referring to just one point as opposed to just the general whining on the forums about it. Also, I wasn't comparing real life to video games, there's quite the disconnect there. I was comparing situations involving people's actions considering that this is a game played by people.

The only thing worse for a game then lack of content, is bad content.

Repeatedly asking [complaining about the lack of] new content isn't going to make it magically appear any faster. It just sounds like "Are we there yet" from the back seat. The suggestion forum is at least players making up stuff to productively entertain themselves.

At some point it passes the 'Highlighted for attention' and just becomes white noise.

Your bored my friend, more content will arrive, until it does we can always Ann Frank the crossword puzzle, or come back in a few months to see what's new.

Or you could, you know, pvp. It's like the whole point. IDGI, if you have piles of money you might as well spend it getting blown up. It's fun, I do it all the time.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Or you could, you know, pvp. It's like the whole point. IDGI, if you have piles of money you might as well spend it getting blown up. It's fun, I do it all the time.

I agree, but I'd like more people to stick around and figure that one out for themself.

Grim Faust wrote:

If people want a 'fair' game with even teams, maybe they should play volleyball or something because PO clearly isn't for them.

So you are encouraging more people to quit so it becomes a ghost town again until it inevitably flatlines.

You see, one key difference between mmos and real life is one has no alternative.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

No disputing that. Problem is, when you lose your PvE base, there goes the majority of your players and the project will follow suit.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Most of our guys closed genchat on day one. I open it up for some live action trolling, and otherwise stay out. Not shocked people left it, it's a butt channel that also serves up a hot steaming plate of free intel.

Also I'm assuming an infestation is a pve thing? Have you given pvp a shot yet? I herd it is gud.

No, I haven't given PvP a "shot". No, I won't be. Yes, I've herd its gud too. I know better. I'm assuming the infestation question is a troll. Feel free to continue that route. 8 years of it in EVE, 75% of the pop still sits in high sec, it doesn't work but I'm sure Perp will change all that.:rolleyes:

I think that content can be easely given by goals to any MMO.
So also for PO.
Those goals have to be nearly unreachable but desirable that will give the drive, the spring
to the community. See EvE peeps want to own Titans Super carriers Faction BS Territories etc. to have a long long E-Peen and of coarse a good killboard statistic. This is the endgame also in eve.Or in WoW to get your Tier12 Heroic gear before the noobs.
Conclusion: So I think all the tools are already available in PO but only some of this spring Items etc are missing  this time to fullfill those needs.
For the killboard statistics of coarse are also some tools missing like the love to E-War killmails and the API verification of the Mails.On the Item side  everything is in quite a short time reachable (exept the skills) wich takes out the driver off the game ones its reached.
So i want to encourage the devs to think about this and add one by one more really hard reachable goals to the community. Actually it is substantionally that both player bases the PvE and PvP are feeded with that.
Regards Checksum

My main complaint (which I've either mentioned here or elsewhere) is that what PvE-only types consider to be an improvement to PvE is inevitably something that moves it closer to the feel of PvP but without it actually being PvP.

stEVE examples would be Sleepers and incursions: PvEers were begging CCP for rats that acted with more tactical intelligence, appeared in less-static and less-predictable forms, appeared to have motivations beyond standing around waiting to be killed, were occasionally overpowering, dropped better loot, represented a greater risk, etc. etc.

Every single one of those things is already and automatically there in PvP. There is just (among certain people) some massive psychological wall such that getting all this from an AI is heaven, and getting it from other players is total hell. In the meantime, devs end up spending countless person-hours recreating something the game already has. Then I have to wait yet another year for devs to get around to sprucing up graphics, expanding the world, and improving on the actual gameplay.

@Johnny/Arga: I've no problem at all with there being safe spots. But they shouldn't be places you can spend your whole game life without being bored to tears.

Ioci wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

Most of our guys closed genchat on day one. I open it up for some live action trolling, and otherwise stay out. Not shocked people left it, it's a butt channel that also serves up a hot steaming plate of free intel.

Also I'm assuming an infestation is a pve thing? Have you given pvp a shot yet? I herd it is gud.

No, I haven't given PvP a "shot". No, I won't be. Yes, I've herd its gud too. I know better. I'm assuming the infestation question is a troll. Feel free to continue that route. 8 years of it in EVE, 75% of the pop still sits in high sec, it doesn't work but I'm sure Perp will change all that.:rolleyes:

So why don't you just play Dragon Age or Mount and Blade Warband or SPAZ or something?

Serious question. There are a ton of games that do pve really well. Why would you play perp over them, or eve for that matter, if all you want is pve content?

Minecraft is all pve with way more crafting than perp. Why this over that?

This is a pvp game. Every one of the design choices is based around the idea that pvp is ongoing and that players want to get into it. And the pvp is really good! No ***, it's a Robo fps with persistence.

If you aren't into pvp and you want nothing to do with it, I simply don't get what you get out of the game.

My experience with our grindbears is that they won't get on ts, socialize, participate, build, mine, fight or do anything other than grind cash off rats. They might as well be AI automatons that we purchased to do stuff for our corp. Which sucks! I'm fairly abrasive on the forums but I spend all my time in game looking for ways to generate content for our members and generally taking care to find ways to keep them from getting bored. I don't get why there is this subset that wants nothing to do with it! I respect them as a fellow player (so no whining about participation) and they have every right to play the game, but I don't get it. Isn't the whole point of an mmo to hang out and do stuff with your fellow nerd?

Bah. Anyway feel free to enlighten me so that I can keep looking for ways to shake up our lotus eaters.

AeonThePiglet wrote:
Ioci wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

So why don't you just play Dragon Age or Mount and Blade Warband or SPAZ or something?

Serious question. There are a ton of games that do pve really well. Why would you play perp over them, or eve for that matter, if all you want is pve content?

Minecraft is all pve with way more crafting than perp. Why this over that?

This is a pvp game. Every one of the design choices is based around the idea that pvp is ongoing and that players want to get into it. And the pvp is really good! No ***, it's a Robo fps with persistence.

If you aren't into pvp and you want nothing to do with it, I simply don't get what you get out of the game.

My experience with our grindbears is that they won't get on ts, socialize, participate, build, mine, fight or do anything other than grind cash off rats. They might as well be AI automatons that we purchased to do stuff for our corp. Which sucks! I'm fairly abrasive on the forums but I spend all my time in game looking for ways to generate content for our members and generally taking care to find ways to keep them from getting bored. I don't get why there is this subset that wants nothing to do with it! I respect them as a fellow player (so no whining about participation) and they have every right to play the game, but I don't get it. Isn't the whole point of an mmo to hang out and do stuff with your fellow nerd?

Bah. Anyway feel free to enlighten me so that I can keep looking for ways to shake up our lotus eaters.

Because I don't recall Avatar Creations (the people who own the game?) saying Perp was all PvP.

Numerous career opportunities
Combat, mining, industry, logistics, marketing are all viable options for anyone. Be a lone wolf or join up player-created corporations and contribute to a bigger cause.
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Features

I don't mind having people in corp who focus mostly on PVE, grinding, and alpha content. As long as they are able to contribute in some way, I feel like they are 'worthy' members.

Piglet, what you said is really true. It is very much up to corp leaders to generate content for their members. It's practically a full time job trying to produce things to do and goals to reach. Right now perp simply doesn't have -enough to do- in game, and I'm not really sure what will fix that.

I've always considered a MMO's official forums to be a good indicator of the game's health. Honestly, if I were to judge perpetuum by its forums, I would assume that it was an old game suffering its last dying breaths. It seems like we are losing more players than we are gaining at this point, and significant content is not coming quickly enough to warrant new droves of players. I love this game, but too much falls on players to make pretend like there is enough variety in-game to actually keep people from being bored and logging in less and less.

Experemonte wrote:

I don't mind having people in corp who focus mostly on PVE, grinding, and alpha content. As long as they are able to contribute in some way, I feel like they are 'worthy' members.

Piglet, what you said is really true. It is very much up to corp leaders to generate content for their members. It's practically a full time job trying to produce things to do and goals to reach. Right now perp simply doesn't have -enough to do- in game, and I'm not really sure what will fix that.

I've always considered a MMO's official forums to be a good indicator of the game's health. Honestly, if I were to judge perpetuum by its forums, I would assume that it was an old game suffering its last dying breaths. It seems like we are losing more players than we are gaining at this point, and significant content is not coming quickly enough to warrant new droves of players. I love this game, but too much falls on players to make pretend like there is enough variety in-game to actually keep people from being bored and logging in less and less.

As much as i am giving Aeon a hard time, I'm not trolling. I see PvE as vital. MK2 CTs dont come from PvE and neither do mats to build and while I have little desire to participate in the PvP aspect it is a strong aspect of the game. The thing with pvP is, its a competition. The thing with perp right now is, what are we competing for? The sake of doing it? That gets as old as PvE in time.

Its easy to assume I dont PvP because I'm a bear. The truth is, I've done so damn much of it, mostly pointless, that its no diff to me than PvE. No matter what you do in a vid game, do it too much with no purpose its all just grind.

Ioci wrote:

Because I don't recall Avatar Creations (the people who own the game?) saying Perp was all PvP.

Numerous career opportunities
Combat, mining, industry, logistics, marketing are all viable options for anyone. Be a lone wolf or join up player-created corporations and contribute to a bigger cause.
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Features

And where in your quoted part is the PvE ?? You know you can get all that in a 100% PvP game ?

Arilou wrote:

My main complaint (which I've either mentioned here or elsewhere) is that what PvE-only types consider to be an improvement to PvE is inevitably something that moves it closer to the feel of PvP but without it actually being PvP.

stEVE examples would be Sleepers and incursions: PvEers were begging CCP for rats that acted with more tactical intelligence, appeared in less-static and less-predictable forms, appeared to have motivations beyond standing around waiting to be killed, were occasionally overpowering, dropped better loot, represented a greater risk, etc. etc.

Every single one of those things is already and automatically there in PvP. There is just (among certain people) some massive psychological wall such that getting all this from an AI is heaven, and getting it from other players is total hell. In the meantime, devs end up spending countless person-hours recreating something the game already has. Then I have to wait yet another year for devs to get around to sprucing up graphics, expanding the world, and improving on the actual gameplay.

@Johnny/Arga: I've no problem at all with there being safe spots. But they shouldn't be places you can spend your whole game life without being bored to tears.

You win the thread. I mean realy. The most intelligent post I've seen for a long time.

Count me into that PvE people category. But I am learning. PO for me has one huge apeal right now: PvP is the only entertaining content after a few months, so I am forced into it eventualy. I am looking forward to that !!!

Hugh Ruka wrote:

You win the thread. I mean realy. The most intelligent post I've seen for a long time.

Wow, thanks! I had a hard time taking the plunge myself, but it's been worth it. Not just in EVE, but every game I've played since that has any multiplayer component.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

And where in your quoted part is the PvE ?? You know you can get all that in a 100% PvP game ?

And you get at the other end of the issue. PvP is not necessarily combat. A frequent point raised in the "other game" is that industry both supports PvP combat and is PvP itself. It's a little anemic in PO atm, but the markets will fill out and the traders will be at each other's throats as aggressively as the fighters are. They just can't measure their wins and losses in wrecked bots. Currently, they "fight" each other as the backbones of every competent combat force in PO.

As for this:

Ioci wrote:

Things etc.

None of this promises that every option is an equally viable path to Great Success(tm). Just like being the best damn Laird pilot ever won't make you super-rich or win you many admirers, though it's still a "viable option". There was also no promise that other players can't or won't interfere, or that you can do just fine without interfering with them yarr Peeveepee baby! It's everywhere!

Arilou wrote:
Hugh Ruka wrote:

Wow, thanks! I had a hard time taking the plunge myself, but it's been worth it. Not just in EVE, but every game I've played since that has any multiplayer component.

I agree on thread winning and the original point of it being a 'psychological barrier'.  Primarily because I had that barrier, for a long time, in lots of MMOs before I ever played serious internet spaceships.

I had always wondered what caused it.  It wasn't the forum trolling backlash because I was in raiding corps in other games and we can flame and trololol with the best of them, but I think on some odd level at least for me it was the 'humanity' in a person shaped avatar.  It's something to do with immersion and *how* you are immersed, I'm sure.

If you come from "RPG" origins and not "multiplayer FPS" ones, it's just something that needs getting over, I guess.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

AeonThePiglet wrote:

My experience with our grindbears is that they won't get on ts, socialize, participate, build, mine, fight or do anything other than grind cash off rats........

Let me shed some light for you Aeon..
For starters let me first say that i come from 7 years in stEVE running almost exclusively in 0.0 and Wormholes participating and running everything from large fleet to small 5 man gang PvP.

Now in Perp i have been a grindbear as you put it, why?? because I'm skilling up my characters and providing a base to support myself in PvP and something to fall back on.
No PvP game like this can work without the PVE as it provides the backbone of the game.
I would like know how the PvP wing operates without the support from the PvE guys, further more in stEVE we would run PVE Ops to fund our PvP as a group.

PvE also caters for those with families who cant spend there life on the game and need to leave the computer often, but might get a spare few hours at night or on a weekend to PvP.

Tupha wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

My experience with our grindbears is that they won't get on ts, socialize, participate, build, mine, fight or do anything other than grind cash off rats........

For starters let me first say that i come from 7 years in stEVE running almost exclusively in 0.0 and Wormholes participating and running everything from large fleet to small 5 man gang PvP.

Now in Perp i have been a grindbear as you put it, why?? because I'm skilling up my characters and providing a base to support myself in PvP and something to fall back on.
No PvP game like this can work without the PVE as it provides the backbone of the game.
I would like know how the PvP wing operates without the support from the PvE guys, further more in stEVE we would run PVE Ops to fund our PvP as a group.

PvE also caters for those with families who cant spend there life on the game and need to leave the computer often, but might get a spare few hours at night or on a weekend to PvP.

Well, tbh, the PvP wing PvE's also, they just usually get so drunk that they forget doing it.. wink

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Tupha wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

Most of our pvpers are working adults who get a couple hours free at night. I don't have a family at home, but three hours is a bit over what I have time for in perp on the average weeknight, especially as I usually have social stuff to do. We're drop in/drop out on roams for exactly that reason.

How does pvp fund itself? We do the occasional pve op but most of us form up and grab epi and use that to pay the bills.

A fit pvp assault can go live for less than a mil. You can take out a light to meet the speed req and be out even less. So it doesn't take much farming or mining to maintain regular pvp. If you were there for the meeting (or listened to the recording) you'd hear that pvp eats almost none of the budget and has cut out what little it does eat entirely.

Most of the grinders, because of the way the game works, don't pay any tax whatsoever. So it's not at all helpful to the wallet or anything else because they don't usually donate either. Some do, and those guys are awesome, but that about sums it up.

I'm glad you're having fun and all in game doing what you enjoy, but if all you do is grind away silently you might as well be playing dragon age for all the relevance it has to the rest of the corp.

Arilou wrote:

I concurr with your comments and thoughts.  Like others have already stated, you win the thread and the post from which this quote comes sums up an awful lot.  There's only one little thing I'd like to mention.

Unreal, the original game and to a similar extent, all other iterations that followed featured AI that was intelligent and configurable.  Sure, you had to path-node things correctly or they'd just stand around looking stupid, but we are talking about a game that ran -well- on a 300 MHz CPU with 64 MB of RAM at its disposal.  Over a decade later, there's no reason why some of the situations that are unique to MMOs (varying player skills, fittings, numbers hunting together, etc.) can't be overcome.  AI programming that emulates human behaviour is a complex undertaking, but not insurmountable.

As for safe spots, Perp-O already has them.  I spin my bot in them on a regular basis.  I'm generally not bored when doing so either since I'm usually chatting up someone.  When I do get bored, I log out.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/