Topic: PO Needs new players, here's how to keep me...

I think that a game in the early development should want as many people as possible. Since this game has a LOT of pvp in it, it doesn't make sense for me to even try to compete with someone that has played the game for 3 months when I've only played for 2 weeks.
There should be a way to buy EP. Just because I didn't know about the game at launch, I essentially get penalized not just the 1 month bonus EP, but every month the game is out since then. Let me pay my way to release, and give me EP up to when I started.
This does several things:
1) Noobies like myself spend cash to get to where everyone else is so we don't feel so left behind.
2) Since we're spending money, the game makers will have more resources and can enhance the game however they see fit (Maybe making a couple US servers)
3) Some people hate the idea and quit. The people that want that extra edge because they played Beta or signed up right away, I can understand. But at the same time, I want more people to play vs. Limit the amount of EP/months you can buy.
I guarantee that there are more people that will stick with a game because they don't feel so left behind. I paid for my first month after my trial period. If I still feel like someone in an Assault bot can kill me too easily while I'm in my mech because he has 3 months more EP, why stick around?
I know for a fact that the people have played the game since the beginning, the ones that don't have 3 accounts, would make extra accounts as well if they could get all that EP for an industry/researcher/PVPer. Immediate influx of money and more players sustaining the game.

Re: PO Needs new players, here's how to keep me...

Perfect wrote:

I think that a game in the early development should want as many people as possible. Since this game has a LOT of pvp in it, it doesn't make sense for me to even try to compete with someone that has played the game for 3 months when I've only played for 2 weeks.
There should be a way to buy EP. Just because I didn't know about the game at launch, I essentially get penalized not just the 1 month bonus EP, but every month the game is out since then. Let me pay my way to release, and give me EP up to when I started.
This does several things:
1) Noobies like myself spend cash to get to where everyone else is so we don't feel so left behind.
2) Since we're spending money, the game makers will have more resources and can enhance the game however they see fit (Maybe making a couple US servers)
3) Some people hate the idea and quit. The people that want that extra edge because they played Beta or signed up right away, I can understand. But at the same time, I want more people to play vs. Limit the amount of EP/months you can buy.
I guarantee that there are more people that will stick with a game because they don't feel so left behind. I paid for my first month after my trial period. If I still feel like someone in an Assault bot can kill me too easily while I'm in my mech because he has 3 months more EP, why stick around?
I know for a fact that the people have played the game since the beginning, the ones that don't have 3 accounts, would make extra accounts as well if they could get all that EP for an industry/researcher/PVPer. Immediate influx of money and more players sustaining the game.

But you can compete... It takes 2 months to be in a heavy and 3 to have decent skills... Past that the time/skill gap closes drastically and most people venture out and don't specialize as deep. Your far from behind... Start playing a year from now when destroyers hit the field the you might have an argument...but buying ep is and will always be a bad solution to this problem.

Assault bot can kill me too easily while I'm in my mech because he has 3 months more EP, why stick around?

Glad to be of service. Assaults are meant to kill mechs.

If I had to wait the time to get the points so can you, in addition you can always tackle and be very useful in these kind of games.

GLiMPSE wrote:

But you can compete... It takes 2 months to be in a heavy and 3 to have decent skills... Past that the time/skill gap closes drastically and most people venture out and don't specialize as deep. Your far from behind... Start playing a year from now when destroyers hit the field the you might have an argument...but buying ep is and will always be a bad solution to this problem.

I have to agree with you completly Glimpse think about were a new character and a beta character will be in 6 months or even a year, the EP or skill difference will be basically null invoid. I think buyng EP would hurt a player in the long run you need to learn the game and what your play style is gonna be while your earning those EP you earn the right to have them if yah get my drift.

1st falacy - the game wants as many people as possible. This is an indy release, and while we need more players in the game, we don't need or want players that require everything just handed to them.

2nd falacy - buying ep will make them more money. Currently subscribers are sub'd up even though they are not active because if you don't you can never get that ep back. If it was possible to buy ep, these subs would just sit out and wait to see if they wantes to come back, and if everyone can be 'equal' just buy paying a few $'s those subs won't come back. This is because your suggestion breaks the persistant world, which is a key element to sandbox games.

Last but not least, for the love of god, progression is not bot dependant! Just because your in a mech does not mean an I win button for any other bot weight.

If you don't like a persistant world with real consequnces to your actions, then this isn't the game for you. Give it some time though, I think you'll be surprised at how much satisfaction making progress that actually means something will make you enjoy the game.

It's more than a little frustrating being in an alliance and the requirements to go help are "mech 71+ kph only". I can only afford Nav 7 atm, I haven't done a respec yet, which I definitely will...

If the people that quit want to come back and are willing to pay full price (or higher, maybe 2x as much per month for full EP, or maybe only half EP), then there will be a good reason to come back. Also there could be limits, like only 3 months worth can be bought at a time.

The argument about people buying EP and not being any good is probably the best part. You can buy a level 85 Warlock in WoW and play him, but if you don't know how to, you're going to suck. Same rules apply except it's harsher here (which I enjoy).

If AC does improvements and makes people WANT to come back, isn't that worth it? I'll finish out my sub in 30 days, and if the high is 300 people on a sunday afternoon, then there are other games that are actually worth paying to play, but unfortunately, this isn't one of them. Not enough people, not enough to do.

If you don't think that you want more people to play, then go play single player games. You obviously miss out on the entire point of a MMO. I love PVP, that's the main reason I would stick to a game. If there's no one to kill, what's the point?

I'm not worried about the game taking time to progress, but when you start at a disadvantage it makes it much less desirable to continue. It's not like there are certain brackets for PVP, I'm lumped in with everyone else, be it 5 months or 2 days. That's probably the main point.

It is a simple solution; ability to pilot a light ewar bot = ~2k EP. That is 1.5 days worth, including Spec Ops 1 & minimum requirements for Demobilizer.

Nobody should start playing PVP in this game in a Mech; you do not yet understand the ins-and-outs of what will rip you apart and what you can rip apart.

The main difference between someone who played in Beta and someone who played since release and someone who played since yesterday isn't the EP; it is the intangible experience you have gained through a thousand battles.

As benefit of my little experience, Navigation should be 10. Always. Do not even consider PVP without it, thankfully those of us that remain and new players do not need to listen to more of ECORP's drivel how Navigation 5 is adequate. Why don't you know who or what ECORP is? They got overran by those with Navigation 10, kicked off Beta, and disbanded.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

no EP for money plz plz it will destroy the game

Have a productive day, Runner

Your EP will only help you one to one. This game isn't about duelling. A player with 60 minutes experience and EP can win a battle of 30 vs 30. With a little willingness to scout you're in the right place, right time, right intel to the right people.

Team game, simple as. Rely on your squad leader, fellow agents, your aggression and your wits. Definitely not your EP! As for indy / miners - not my thing.

There are many solo titles available to cater for those who are impatient.

To be quite frank, EP for money sucks,

To be a little more precise, if you occupy yourself a little bit with your char and where to distribute your EP´s, you quickly realise, that you can be very effective in a short time.
That is if you have the disiplin to stay focused on one path.

But of course if you want to pilot an imba pewpew uberdmgewpwnumech within 2 days of starting the game, you prolly be disapointed and you should consider a different game. Maybe CS or TF2 is more appropiate.

Get yourself the perpetuum planner and the perpetuum fit tool, to plan your build:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -fit-tool/

Make yourself little milestones i.e start with an EW light bot, pull up your skills for that, your in a competetive build as a EW tackler within 1 month, maybe continue on the dmg abilities, continue to go for EW Mech, you already skilled the neccessary EW extensions for that now, continue....
In this time, you have engaged many opponents and get to know the abilities of your bot. Find yourself some corp mates to use complementary builds for roaming. This will develop your playerskills as well.
That saves you a lot of NIC, cos you will most certainly loose your expensive uberdmgewpwnumech a lot of times, before you get the hang of it.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

I was wondering how long that old EvE fallacy was going to take to rear it's ugly head. You don't need tons of EP to pvp well in this game. Just experiance and the right bot for the right job.

The phenomenon you're describing only matters now.  I'll explain.

Yes, everyone else is making points about you can be effective in this and that role without tons of EP.  And that's true.  But the idea that someone with tons of EP is better than you and you can never surpass them is not.

In the long term, the benefit of being a high EP character isn't being the best at something, it's filling multiple roles.  After two years, a player could conceivably be AWESOME combat AND production.  Whereas a new player would focus on combat, and become awesome at that, but not be able to touch production.

Right now, when the game is virtually brand new, no one has the kind of EP where they can do this yet, so most people are highly concentrated in one thing.  A new player can't compete because the new player has 2 weeks in combat and the old player has 3 months.  But in a year, both players will have 6 months in combat, because at some point you get very diminishing returns and you start to train other things.

Having a gun skill at level 10 vs. level 9 is a huge EP commitment, but its not going to turn the tide of a battle in a meaningful way.  So you have to hang on, realize you still got in at the beginning (Eve has been out for 8 years and is still going strong) even if it doesn't feel that way, and focus on being good at what you can be good at.

Also, if your corp is really saying things like "mechs @ 71+kph required," and you don't meet that requirement, find a new corp.  There are lots of corps and they are all different.  Most are a little more flexible than that.

tl;dr
You have to take a long view of the game.  You still got in early, and in the long run you only need a few months in any area to be 95% competitive in it.

13 (edited by Alexander 2011-03-22 14:22:38)

All I smell here is Q.Q

I am very pleased to see everyone else in agreement that there is no much thing as "Way behind" in this game. Only the ability to do more things. A 1 day old character can be in a T4 fit assault and PvP'ing. I should know as I did it with a new account recently. From there I've spent probably another 30k EP and I don't feel like the character has improved at all. The small percent more damage or longer range or even rate of fire isn't noticeable against.

The only extension that is a requirement for most PVP is Nav 10. The 71+ KPH limit you speak of is usually because when roaming the mechs going 80+ will always arrive at the fight, kill and move on before you've even got halfway. For defenses speed doesn't matter but then you've probably never been to a defense or had anything to defend.

If you want to go on "Roams" despite them now being a total no show and Intrusions being the only way to get any form of PvP all be it blob PVP then train for small ewar.

Or better yet, go on holiday for a few days if limit EP is that annoying. Don't train ANYTHING above 5 for the first month unless you know what you're doing or it's Nav 10. You'll be able to get all extensions and more to 5 within the month.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Don't train ANYTHING above 5 for the first month unless you know what you're doing or it's Nav 10.

That's probably good advice past the first month as well.

With the possible exception of long distance electronic warfare which is p essential for tacklers to have at 9

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

long distance electroinc warfare its when you sure you will be tackler or gonna use it in each setup imho

Have a productive day, Runner

Ral wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Don't train ANYTHING above 5 for the first month unless you know what you're doing or it's Nav 10.

That's probably good advice past the first month as well.

In the first month of the game you may think that you know what you're doing but in fact you don't so just don't train extensions beyond lvl 5

I want an autopilot so I can chat while I travel. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -a-review/ THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Perfect wrote:

**SNIP** I paid for my first month after my trial period. If I still feel like someone in an Assault bot can kill me too easily while I'm in my mech because he has 3 months more EP, why stick around?
**SNIP**

Your thread isn't the first, it isn't the last, and the concerns haven't been addressed at all.  I have 3 accounts with 3 month subs right now that I'm barely playing for basically the same reason; and 2 of those are mining/indy to support the 1 combat guy.  I posted something more angry and longer than your post without the EP buying around the 2 week mark.

Almost everyone you see against you in this thread are people who are from Early Access which means they got 20k EP on top of the 20k starting EP and now have 4 months more EP on top of that.

It's true that the only chance you have is in a big group or a very fast small roaming one (90% of pvp is this, if you don't have Nav 10 it's basically required and you will need t3 LWF at a minimum as well).  The problem with this is these groups are scarce, even in the larger Beta based corps (at least they are in my experience, I already burned my respec to go blue and get Nav 10 because that's the fastest and nothing else seems to matter as much in any aspect of the game speed appears to be king.)

I've been playing just under a month and we're still in exactly the same boat.  It's true that the EP spread won't matter as much in a year or whatever, but right now it's horrendous and definitely keeping the population down.

I don't really think that buying EP is a good idea, but maybe a skill that increased the rate at which you gain it or something like that would help, yes they would have access too but at least you'd be able to specialize in something faster.

A paid respec/rename mechanism would be nice, maybe I don't want that 2nd miner any more for whatever reason and I'd like him to be for prototyping or market playing; that should be an option to change paths but still have a penalty for doing so instead of being stuck with an account that's not played and will stop getting sub money.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

19 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-03-22 15:44:20)

Crepitus wrote:
Perfect wrote:

**SNIP** I paid for my first month after my trial period. If I still feel like someone in an Assault bot can kill me too easily while I'm in my mech because he has 3 months more EP, why stick around?
**SNIP**

Your thread isn't the first, it isn't the last, and the concerns haven't been addressed at all.  I have 3 accounts with 3 month subs right now that I'm barely playing for basically the same reason; and 2 of those are mining/indy to support the 1 combat guy.  I posted something more angry and longer than your post without the EP buying around the 2 week mark.

Almost everyone you see against you in this thread are people who are from Early Access which means they got 20k EP on top of the 20k starting EP and now have 4 months more EP on top of that.

It's true that the only chance you have is in a big group or a very fast small roaming one (90% of pvp is this, if you don't have Nav 10 it's basically required and you will need t3 LWF at a minimum as well).  The problem with this is these groups are scarce, even in the larger Beta based corps (at least they are in my experience, I already burned my respec to go blue and get Nav 10 because that's the fastest and nothing else seems to matter as much in any aspect of the game speed appears to be king.)

I've been playing just under a month and we're still in exactly the same boat.  It's true that the EP spread won't matter as much in a year or whatever, but right now it's horrendous and definitely keeping the population down.

I don't really think that buying EP is a good idea, but maybe a skill that increased the rate at which you gain it or something like that would help, yes they would have access too but at least you'd be able to specialize in something faster.

A paid respec/rename mechanism would be nice, maybe I don't want that 2nd miner any more for whatever reason and I'd like him to be for prototyping or market playing; that should be an option to change paths but still have a penalty for doing so instead of being stuck with an account that's not played and will stop getting sub money.

Let me guess. You didn't start playing WoW after the first expansion because people were higher level then you?

Or you didn't play shadowbane because people that started with the game had cities already built?

Or you didn't start playing UO because people already had 7x gm characters.

How have you been able to continue living in life competing with those people that were gasp... born before you... and have managed to parlay their age into a bigger paycheck!?

People will start before you, people have an advantage, and it takes time to make that advantage not such a big deal. You've been playing for a month, give it another month and the advantage they have will matter less, another month and they'll have a negligible advantage even if highly specialized...

Bigger ISN'T better.
A mech doesn't mean you're some kinda level 80 and assault are level 40's. It  doesn't work like that here.
It's about armor, DPS and speed. Extensions make very little difference to the outcome of a fight.

Fitting is important. If you fit to be high DPS but slow speeds and the target is faster than you what stops them from kiting you? If you go for speed and range  and get tackled you're in a lot of trouble.

Two assault will kill a mech hands down as long as they're fit to do so. A mech will kill an assault if it's fit to do so. Saying you like a mech to an assault shows you didn't think about your fitting or theirs.

The Game

Let me guess. You didn't start playing WoW after the first expansion because people were higher level then you?

Or you didn't play shadowbane because people that started with the game had cities already built?

Or you didn't start playing UO because people already had 7x gm characters.

How have you been able to continue living in life competing with those people that were gasp... born before you... and have managed to parlay their age into a bigger paycheck!?

People will start before you, people have an advantage, and it takes time to make that advantage not such a big deal. You've been playing for a month, give it another month and the advantage they have will matter less, another month and they'll have a negligible advantage even if highly specialized...

First, I wasn't going to respond to your obvious troll post, however there is one thing in it I can use to illustrate my point well.

You want to use WoW as an example? Okay, I played WoW unlike all the other games you mentioned.  I played from vanilla through lich king on and off with 6+ mos gaps.  I was always able to be competitive after some catch up time.

Why is that? Because WoW makes everyone start their gear grind over again with every expansion (maybe not Cataclysm, since if you were actually reading which I doubt, I never played it, WoW jumped the shark quite some time ago) which levels the playing field for everyone to a degree.

Sure people who were already at cap with 900 million GP and raiding guilds to carry them have an advantage over someone who just started playing, but that person can eventually catch them in gear and effectiveness on the battlefield (I was all pvp, BGs and open world primarily); and in a reasonable amount of time say a month or 2 if they're hardcore.

This game has a much steeper time curve and no evening-the-field mechanisms.  You may eventually be able to cap out ALL the skills that would give you an edge in a particular bot but it will take many months to do so.  This is particularly exacerbated by the bot bonuses with their multipliers and the extremely high cost associated with them.  Add that with the generic weapon skills, firing, dispersion, etc and say a rich Beta corp and newbies who are probably on Alpha are hopeless.

I think the developer response will and has been basically been "it's balanced in groups" .. which is sort of true, generally speaking the larger group wins assuming they have a good mix.  That would be fine if it were the only pvp in the game, however it's hilarious that at the same time they promote big group fights with everything from nexus modules to the paper/rock/scissors color wheel but then say they're working on the "blob problem" that their mechanics have created.

To me, if bots were more balanced 1 vs 1, you'd see less groups because, especially newbies, people would feel like they had a decent shot alone.  Right now the only people with a chance solo are the early access people who are fitted in t4 from their rich corps, you rarely see any one else try it.

Bottom line is, new people are pretty much encouraged not to play past the tutorial since no matter what kind of mission you're running they turn tedious fast and offer no real benefits outside of the little money/exclusive ammo you get unless you're production.  Given this model I'm really surprised they haven't had recurring subs added yet, it's the pay but don't play model that's been created and is exactly what a large number of people are doing.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Alexander wrote:

Bigger ISN'T better.
A mech doesn't mean you're some kinda level 80 and assault are level 40's. It  doesn't work like that here.
It's about armor, DPS and speed. Extensions make very little difference to the outcome of a fight.

Fitting is important. If you fit to be high DPS but slow speeds and the target is faster than you what stops them from kiting you? If you go for speed and range  and get tackled you're in a lot of trouble.

Two assault will kill a mech hands down as long as they're fit to do so. A mech will kill an assault if it's fit to do so. Saying you like a mech to an assault shows you didn't think about your fitting or theirs.

I agree, it's not about the bot it's about the EP of the pilot and the depth of his pockets more than anything else. 

The only skill in this game is trying to time enemy shots to dodge behind terrain and even that has several counters.

The only time that's not the case is if you know what you're going up against in advance and can gear around it (thermal ammo against blue, etc) and the overwhelming majority of the time you don't (everything I've written is regarding pvp).

Population graphs

23 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-03-22 18:17:20)

Perfect wrote:

It's more than a little frustrating being in an alliance and the requirements to go help are "mech 71+ kph only". I can only afford Nav 7 atm, I haven't done a respec yet, which I definitely will...

You know, if you want to fight us one on one for fun, and your alliance leaders wont let you come out to play because you're not "experienced enough", we have fairly new players you can match against and they'll come on the island and fight you. Contact me, and I'll send a guy who will get on the island and find you, and fight you for fun. No smack, just fun stuff. He can make it a game so you can have fun.

I'm really sorry that you can't engage in pvp without having proper/alliance level skills. That kind of takes away from the game, and reinforces bad attitudes towards pvp. Part of the pvp experience is going out and working with other people and there are lots of ways to get tackles/use skill to help compensate for lack of speed. We have guys in our corp without nav 10, and they still come out and have fun. When they die they had fun, and oh well in another week or so they'll be fine.

In fact your corp leader last time killed one of our guys because he didn't have nav 10 yet, but we let him go out. He was fine with it, and I was too. He had fun going out even though he didn't have nav 10.... he lost 1 light bot, but we've killed several mechs, assaults ect using him as a team.

Again sorry, and from a proud TOG member you're welcome to ask the 62nd to give you some fun fights. We'll make sure we do it even, my word.

oh one of our friends in another corp said you can use a half fit yagel and have fun, try this fit with low skills(nav 5-7 should work, and your group should have t3 lwf, and t2 lasers):
2 t2 lasers, 1 t3 lwf, 1 amp, should get good speed, and exchange for demob / says this works.

24 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-03-22 19:07:49)

Crepitus wrote:

First, I wasn't going to respond to your obvious troll post, however there is one thing in it I can use to illustrate my point well.

You want to use WoW as an example? Okay, I played WoW unlike all the other games you mentioned.  I played from vanilla through lich king on and off with 6+ mos gaps.

I think you illustrated my point.

For serious though, you are perceiving minor numerical advantages (1-5% per point) in some skills to be huge advantages...they are not... fittings make the biggest difference in this game and if you can fit the correct things, after 3 months (about the time it would take you to grind your happy *** up to super pvp battleground god with cool purples (which they now have in perpetuum to appease you))..

Sure you won't be "the same" as someone that has played for 3 months more then you or have the same different options available to you... but you will be able to be proficient in a specialized role after only a few months... and you can branch off into other things after that time.

Stop looking at EP as the end all be all of winning in this game... it isn't... even in 1v1 especially when you figure in the terrain and tactics involved in engagements in this game as opposed to Steve.

Ok, why don't we look at what matters most in the game? Here and now. What's going to make someone like myself and Crepitus keep playing? The game being fun NOW, not 6 months from now when it evens itself out.

I played EVE, from Beta 'til a year or so after release. I know all about time being important. I had more skills in Gunnery than most newer players had period. The only people that could even come close to me in skill were others that were older players. It was ABSOLUTELY impossible for a newer player to even touch me. If they had the skills to be in a battleship, I knew they were toast, cause those took too long to train.

I'm not playing the game right now, being bored cause I can't PVP for hopes that in 6 months from now it'll be fun and I'll be able to do what I want. I know all about working towards something, I didn't expect to be level 60 right away when WoW came out. I worked towards it, but at the same time, there was a goal and it was attainable. And guess what, on the battlefields, it was put into groups, people were matched up by their levels. Here, it's not like that.

You can say QQ etc all you'd like. But what's the end result? I know for a fact there are a TON of other NEW players that feel the same way that I do about the subject. And guess what's going to make the game a success? The older players from Beta?  Then make a server specifically for yourselves and enjoy each others company. Reminisce about the good ol' days. If you don't encourage new players to come into the game, it will die. No matter how you look at it. Things will get stale and boring as well.

I'll restate my point : I'm not going to pay for a game for 6 months before I can have fun in it. I want to have fun now with everyone else. I'm not some random nub that spread his points all over the place, I read posts and looked things up first, which is why I even got Nav to 7. I didn't go 10 because it was too much and I couldn't afford to do other things. I understand in the end it won't matter. But people being brought into this game in the here and now need a reason to stay. If I can't compete because someone has so much more EP than I do that they can have their way with me np, then why would anyone stay?.

If you notice it's the older players that hate the idea the most. It's because they have the advantage. Give it 6 months? No thanks.