Re: PO Needs new players, here's how to keep me...

T2 assaults are pretty awesome in pvp. Fastest option. T3/t4 will range and damage better, but you can outrun the buggers if you have a t4 lwf on there

Arga wrote:

Remember that there's not such thing as used modules either, so purchasing a T2 for a fit, assuming you don't get asploded, you can sell it back to the market when your ready for T3.

Not to be obtuse, but pretty much all my modules are "used" in "that way" by the time I'm done with them.  On the other hand, I really think that should increase their resale value rather than decrease it.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Gremrod wrote:

While I understand what you are talking about coming from EVE etc.

You should also know you can pvp here in a light bot/ewar bot with not much ep invested.

Just like in EVE they would always tell new players they have a role they can do. Like grab a frig and put a warp jammer on it and tackle for us.

Same here get your char set up to run a ewar bot and demob.

Bam! You're in the game doing pvp.

I know a hell of a lot about EVE - more than many "veteran" players with years on me.  I can walk a new player through scenario after scenario where they are of value and use in PvP and explain in terms they can understand exactly why their SP there is of value, makes possible options but also is only 1 part of an equation for success in PvP.

I'll provide an example and perhaps - just perhaps - some of the veterans here can find an equivalent method of explaining it in Perpetuum terms because this I do not see nor understand.

(note: some "EVE jargon" in use here...)

You have a nanocan piloted by a 2 year old char and 2 pilots going after it to tackle. 

1 in an interceptor, piloted by a year old char. 1 a T1 frigate piloted by a 1 month old char.  That nanocane can and will pop either one of these 2 ships in seconds if they aren't careful.

HOW you approach the target, how you line up to keep your angles correct, etc...  this will far more determine your success at get inside those guns and pinning that ship down.  SP, means jack squat here and so does the fact that 1 is in a T2 ship vs the other in a T1.  You'll need hands-on experience to succeed.

(I've seen the above where the inty pilot got his butt shot off yet the frigate got inside and tackled the target...)
------------------------
So - in perp - what is the equivalent?

Instead of just "you can...  you might... experience means..." FIND a scenario, like the above that, with little understanding of the game, players can see that they do add-value and are important for success from early on.. 

(conversely, in EVE, I also explained to a "get in there early!" person that a player can learn how to PvP in 2 weeks easily - doing it 2 weeks in or 2 YEARS into the game.  The difference there:  Sitting in highsec, you learned faster due to implants that the new PvP player cannot afford to use for YEARS of play.  That does NOT exist in this game so no "penalty" for PvP with respect to extensions/skills.)

new players here are very much of use in pvp.  lightbot + detector = perfect little scouts with out much skill needed. 1-2 weeks can be acceptable in an assault bot.

all i can say to new players it this: terrain terrain terrain! learn to use it & even when you fight mechs you can still win. or at the very least take a few down with you smile in perpetuum knowing how to best use your cover is key no matter what bot / mech you are useing. a T1 fit lightbot is still more than able to demob / scout.

Ep gaps can mean alot less here as real life skill & know how IMHO are more important than your "ingame skill points"

smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

80 (edited by Arilou 2011-08-14 21:19:36)

:facepalm: ahahahaha

Must've had this open from a search, but alongside some new posts or something. Totally unintentional zombification! Glad you're all making good use of it, though cool but sorry if this sort of thing pisses you off big_smile

Actual content:
My expectation is that we'll hit an equilibrium point somewhere down the line as older players start leaving. A newbie then shouldn't feel so much that they're jumping into a game full of functionally maxed-out players and have six months of waiting to become "viable". As long as the Devs plan out the full player development arc properly, it will be fun the whole way through, with variety both along a main training trunk and in a few nearby branches.

The hardest part by far (and EVE did fantastic up to this point, IMO) is during the training end-game, where people are spending ages training for boosts they'll barely notice. PO has to be deep enough at the raw gameplay level to remain exciting and fun even when the anticipation of advancement is gone.

So the aim is the whole package. Noob to pro, there has to be something fun to do. Some people just will not be satisfied until they're maxed out. But fixed progression isn't for them, tbh.

Arilou wrote:

:
The hardest part by far (and EVE did fantastic up to this point, IMO) is during the training end-game, where people are spending ages training for boosts they'll barely notice. PO has to be deep enough at the raw gameplay level to remain exciting and fun even when the anticipation of advancement is gone.

This were PO is lacking. There's nothing to do right now after learning some things.

we have:

missions - repetitive and simple
NPC farming - same as missions
artifact scanning - same as missions
PvP/Beta conquest - PvP's great, Beta is lacking in options
production/trade - sufficient depth but not for the general player

maybe onece teraforming hits the game, we cane have some original content. but the DEVs in this game are quite good :-)

I know there was some expansion on the questing system, but I have yet to even try it, I have to admit, I'm lazy sad  (then again, I sort of got quested out playing EQ2 for 5 years, then eve missioning sort of decimated my soul.)

Storyline stuff, once the lore is set, (if this isnt in yet) will be nice.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

I'm sure there are lots of new, delicious improvements coming down the line that will mitigate some aspects of the game that are not quite there yet.

Hugh points out a sad, but true fact.  I'd like to hop onto his rollercoaster for a moment to add that, almost regardless of how "fleshed out" a game becomes, many MMO activities are mindlessly repetitive.  How long has stEVE had missions and how long have they been making new ones, to only throw scripted action-response based stuff at their players so go through new content, making it mindlessly boring almost as soon as it goes out the door?  Why is crafting in WoW such a boring yawn-fest?  Once you see something once, for the first time, the newness of it is gone and it becomes repetitive to do it a second time.

The point of the game, I think, is to enjoy the company of others while the mindless stuff happens.  These sorts of games are a lot more about what the players are providing one another within the framework that the developers create than they are about relying exclusively on the framework itself to provide amusement.

Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)

84 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2011-08-17 01:07:57)

the mistake people make when comparing perptuum to eve is..... time. eve is what 8 years old now of course its got more depth. These things will come to perpetuum in time.
Give this game a few years & maybe a few more devs & what it will be able to offer a player will be far greater.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

Many MMO activities are mindlessly repetitive.

I honestly think the peacenicks of the MMO community are what make this the case. There are always a significant group who claim to hate it that they can't mine safely or that unpredictable spawns will freak out the newbies and scare them off. But it's exactly the totally safe stuff that gets boring. Absolutely everything needs to be dangerous and/or challenging or people get bored. It can be done, but a few tenacious paradigms need to be dropped: stuff like "click here, receive ore" and "farm lvl1 mobs, buy bigger gun, farm lvl2 mobs". I don't think anyone actually likes that stuff, but it's been stuck in the genre since at least Ultima.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

These sorts of games are a lot more about what the players are providing one another within the framework that the developers create than they are about relying exclusively on the framework itself to provide amusement.

This is true. But that framework still has to support interesting in-game experiences. And I don't think PvP should be the only place where the fun, the interaction, and the gameplay are the same thing. That's how it seems to me at the moment, though.

You know what game is fun, Minecraft.

The reason is they found the 'balance' between mindless repetition required to build something with an appropriate level of danger, not only to yourself but what your're trying to build.

There are long periods where you can build in relative peace, a chance to gather resources and be better able to handle the danger, then an equal period where you have to defend yourself the whole time if you want to keep building. The day isn't too dangerous and if you've prepared you can hide through the night or fight through it. When you go looking for advanced building material, you get more challenge.

Back to Perp. Trying to gather resources under continual threat is fine and entertaining, as long as it's not immediate and dire all the time, and that you can prepare for when it will be; even if the actual threats are random. Tellesis has found a nice balance now, at Terra launch there were too few mobs and no observer spawns, without the risk of npc's it was too easy to mine there afk for hours. Then they swung too far the other way, where the threat was so constant for the average ore reward, it was hardly worth undocking for. Now, you could mine all day without an observer running through, or it could come by at any moment. That makes it exciting without being over threatening, after all your doing an activity that isn't supposed to be high adreneline.

The high adreneline mining should be on beta, where the threat of getting ganked is constant, but isn't always immediate. That is you know a roam can show up at anytime, but it may never, so you worry about it and it keeps it interesting. Now if you go out 4 days in a row and never see anyone, then it is again going to be the same boring as if you were mining in alpha. But trying to add NPC's into the beta experience to make up for the lack of PVP isn't the same. If you know they are going to show up then its just alpha that's out of balance again.

tl;dr - Cycles of 'building power' and fighting make for fun gaming

The problem with stamping a game with 'sandbox' is that it too often just means a FFA PvP-centric game. When a lot of the fun and interest in a game pivots off PvP, well, that's basically the setting of the game as a whole. It seems to be the descriptor of this game. When the player numbers are up, things get fun, when the numbers are down, things are boring. If you want a true sandbox you need to make every aspect interesting for everyone and not just the PvP crowd. I think that's partly why this game has had such a stifled launch. Too much time has been spent tweaking and catering to PvP. There's not enough off peak content to play around with that keeps people interested. From grinding mindless npc's to mining until you want to stab yourself in the face, these activities basically lead you to assets used in or for sales directly to those wanting it for PvP. There’s no real interesting aspects of the PvE and building side of this game, the fun factor is severely lop-sided towards PvP. There's nothing wrong with that, but this game is already niche and that just puts it in a niche of a niche. If we actually have more interesting facets outside of PvP and its randomness, the game will thrive more avidly. Beyond that, sticking with PvP centralization, things will just swing with however many players are online… which doesn’t seem to work in favor of smaller game communities.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Please do something about players now DEV's! Get the game out there ffs NOBODY knows about this game beside ex eve players.

I am gmt +1 and i ran around for 4h and got one kill and really that was the only bot i even see on 3 islands. This was my first time solo roaming and i can tell you i am not very hyped about going out spending hours on that again.
I guess its nic hunting for now waiting for the game to grow, i hope i dont have to go look for something else because the game is awesome.

Flinch wrote:

Please do something about players now DEV's! Get the game out there ffs NOBODY knows about this game beside ex eve players.

I am gmt +1 and i ran around for 4h and got one kill and really that was the only bot i even see on 3 islands. This was my first time solo roaming and i can tell you i am not very hyped about going out spending hours on that again.
I guess its nic hunting for now waiting for the game to grow, i hope i dont have to go look for something else because the game is awesome.

As mentioned before, the turnover rate is very high at the moment. Introducing new players will just leave a sour taste in their mouth and they won't ever return.

Devs need to work on introducing new dynamic pve content NOW and maybe splurge on some marketing in the not so distant future.

Arilou wrote:

I honestly think the peacenicks of the MMO community are what make this the case. There are always a significant group who claim to hate it that they can't mine safely or that unpredictable spawns will freak out the newbies and scare them off. But it's exactly the totally safe stuff that gets boring. Absolutely everything needs to be dangerous and/or challenging or people get bored. It can be done, but a few tenacious paradigms need to be dropped: stuff like "click here, receive ore" and "farm lvl1 mobs, buy bigger gun, farm lvl2 mobs". I don't think anyone actually likes that stuff, but it's been stuck in the genre since at least Ultima.

I admit I'm in the same MMO rut that everyone else is in.  I literally can't think of a way to make an MMO without some form or grinding being a part of it.  I'm sure someone will eventually develop a revolutionary new formula that will fundamentally change how MMOs all are someday.  We're not there yet though.  In the meantime, we do have a lot of good games, but they have a similar "grind to get there" experience that is rather painful at times.  I like there being risk associated with the stuff I do so if that aspect is changed in any game, I'm okay with it.  There should be a reasonably safe place I can stand around doing nothing but chatting up friends though...terminals...docked...laying naked outside of the auction house...at Haven's bank...you get the idea.

Arilou wrote:

This is true. But that framework still has to support interesting in-game experiences. And I don't think PvP should be the only place where the fun, the interaction, and the gameplay are the same thing. That's how it seems to me at the moment, though.

PvP should absolutely not be the only place where the fun is at.  However players working together to do something whether it's against other players or not...that's what I'm getting at.  Give me the tools I need to get some people together for a laugh and a good time and we'll do most of the rest.  Perp's corps are a fine example, the ones that totally internalize production and consumption are driving their players by giving them "missions" and the associated rewards.  While all those corps are doomed to fail when central economic management reaches a point of inefficiency, they're good stuff on a small scale and work as an example.  The supply chain is totally internal and player-driven.

Johnny EvilGuy wrote:

PvP should absolutely not be the only place where the fun is at.  However players working together to do something whether it's against other players or not...that's what I'm getting at.  Give me the tools I need to get some people together for a laugh and a good time and we'll do most of the rest.  Perp's corps are a fine example, the ones that totally internalize production and consumption are driving their players by giving them "missions" and the associated rewards.  While all those corps are doomed to fail when central economic management reaches a point of inefficiency, they're good stuff on a small scale and work as an example.  The supply chain is totally internal and player-driven.

Unfortunately in 99% of MMOs, you lack proper tools to build while there are multiple ways to destruction available :-))

Even finding a 50/50 split between create and destroy options is not possible (except maybe Second Life and Minecraft, but those are not exactly 'games').

I'd love to see a game that starts with one central spot (like a colony outpost or main city) and LOTS of empty space that lets players create what ever (or almost) they want. Imagine that when PO matures with similar mechanics, they let us discover a huge continent totaly empty with only NPCs (no outpost, maybe a few teleports) and we can do what ever we want there !!!

Monster wrote:
Flinch wrote:

As mentioned before, the turnover rate is very high at the moment. Introducing new players will just leave a sour taste in their mouth and they won't ever return.

Devs need to work on introducing new dynamic pve content NOW and maybe splurge on some marketing in the not so distant future.

I logged in tonight for the first time to find general under 100 people. All be it, I deployed, hit F4 saw the list of infestations, hit enter and logged back out. It was fun for around 3 weeks, then it became so obvious what your results would be in everything you did.

Most of our guys closed genchat on day one. I open it up for some live action trolling, and otherwise stay out. Not shocked people left it, it's a butt channel that also serves up a hot steaming plate of free intel.

Also I'm assuming an infestation is a pve thing? Have you given pvp a shot yet? I herd it is gud.

94 (edited by Goblin 2011-08-19 17:35:26)

I have said this for awhile now.

There is nothing for pve focused player in this game that you cannot attain within a week. Beyond that, it is just a waiting game for EP. What is my incentive to play exactly?

I have over 100 mil and a plethora of bots but there is absolutely nothing for me to do besides farming more *** which at this point is A) not fun and B) not necessary for me at this juncture.

Game is lacking pve content. Devs need to concentrate on that with their full attention right now if they know whats best for them and the project.

I want to continue playing this game because it undoubtedly has potential, but my time is nearing an end much like the thousands before me.

Much like playing baseball alone, playing Perp solo is a lot of hitting stuff and chasing after it to bring it back home. Not very satisfying. If you get good enough, you can hit the ball straight up, try to put a glove on, and catch it before it comes back down; but once you have that mastered, and there's no one there to clap for you then that gets old too.

No mmo can make enough solo content to keep players interested for long. I stopped playing rift solo for the same reason, I didn't run out of content, but it was all 'the same'. If a player doesn't have the time or desire to join a corp, they WILL leave; its inevitable. Perp could use more casual PVP corps, there are already plenty of casual PVE corps, where players can log in/out at thier pleasure. Participate or not based on schedule. Sure your not the Boss of your own solo corp, but not every corp treats it's members like Tax mules.

Joining a corp shouldnt be a solution to the games shortcomings. If this is a sandbox game it should cater to all walks of players, but it doesn't. Right now, PO is little more than a PvP game. Where's the corps dedicated to PvE? They don't exist because the PvE content right now is lacking. You could join an indy corp, but that basically only fuels PvP. There's little you can do in this game that doesn't somehow relate to the war machine. The tools to really be able to call this game a sandbox are missing right now, terraforming is a big one. So yeah, unless you like PvP, PO is not a good game for you. If you do like PvP well, join a corp and get stuck in, because that's about all there is to do in this game that has lasting replayability.

Grim. Sandbox doesn't mean it caters to all play styles. It does mean that players can play any way they like, which is different. Sandbox also means that the PLAYER has to do thier part in making the game enjoyable for themselves. Perp has tossed a few plastic spades and a small bucket into the sandbox, it's up to the player to decide what to do with it. They can hit each other over the head with the shovels or they can build sandcastles. Perp could use some more tools in the sandbox, yes. Joining a corp is just another way to share ideas and to play together, the Player is still fully in charge of how they choose to play as a member of the corp. If you don't like the corp, then find another, it only defines your play if you let it.

I played solo for months. In order to make that happen I had to set my own goals. Just like players that finish a game then go back and do it again to see if they can finish it faster, they call them Achievements today, but old school, it was just players trying out different ways to play the same game. PVE dull, go in and see how many NPC's you can tank at 1 time, see if you can pull artifact's our fromunder spawns. Don't get locked into the games' limits either, who cares if the reward is crap, do it for entertainment. Corps encourage this play by sharing ideas like that for PVE, and then there is also somewhere next to you that cares if you succeded or not, so the world doens't revolve around NIC/hr.

I used the anlogy of someone out in a field alone with a couple tools, a ball, bat and glove. Over x number of years many players have developed a fixed content around the game, rules and suggested ways to play, but its just a sandbox really. Play it with 5 on a team in a the sandlot, its ok, you can do that because your not limited to the rules of 9 per side. When you get down to just 1 person though, you have to get creative if you really want to be out there doing something; but even going to batting practice is more fun with a couple people, and all your doing is hitting the ball and running after it just like you would if you were alone.

Typically where you'll see the most inovation in this type of game is with griefers, because face it, they are used to playing alone and making up their own rules to play a game differently then everyone else. PVE people are sort of used to having content handed to them with a road map, literally in wow now, to the next piece of the content.

Tl;dr - Sandbox games require both sides to participate in the discovery of new ways to enjoy the game.

I don't really care if people who don't ever play with or against others leave. That's like telling me some guy stopped playing single player SC2. So what, it's not like he was ever relevant to anyone other than himself.

99 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-08-19 20:26:56)

Arga, you're making this assumption in your analogy that what changes the 'game' is the number of players and how they interact with the given tools. But that's not related to the fact that PO is quite lacking in said tools that relate to most anything aside PvP. The longevity that is dug out from this game typically falls to PvP'ing. If you try mission running, arty scanning or grinding NPC's, you'd be lucky to stay interested in that stuff for more than a billing period or two. What keeps people interested in most mmo's is the developers abilities to design enough tools to keep players cycling their interests and playing around in their world. If you only give people a sparse amount of tools, you can't expect them to just stay interested under their own creativity and say that the player is what makes the sandbox lacking in content.

Your own personal creativity can sure drive how much you play a game and affect it, but when you don't have those tools to express that creativity, you could be the most creative person in existence and still run out of interesting things to relate to. I'll refer back to my empty room analogy, throw someone in one and tell them they're free to do whatever they want, they're likely to get bored quick and I highly doubt you can interject that it’s that persons own fault. While creativity and interest in something is very subjective, to simply stamp a game with sandbox and barely have any innovative systems to play with is very misleading. You can't charge people money to use their own creativity and tell them it's their fault they're not creative enough to play the game. Paying for the game also imposes a certain responsibility upon the developer, I’d say even over that of the players, to actually keep players engaged by providing interesting tools to spur creativity. If that wasn't the case, development of a game would mean little to nothing and it would be the luck of the developers to have ‘creative’ players in their games and making them interesting. Who markets a game like that? Come play our game, we have such innovative players that carry our lacking systems!

Grim Faust wrote:

I'll refer back to my empty room analogy, throw someone in one and tell them they're free to do whatever they want, they're likely to get bored quick and I highly doubt you can interject that it’s that persons own fault.

No one's thrown involuntarily into Perp. So, yes given the choice between Room A full of Rifty content and Room B full of Perp content, if they choose Room B and are bored then I do sort of blame them, but they aren't locked in, so they move over to Room A. Eventually Room B gets Perp people and Room A gets Rift people.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that current day gamers aren't creative, but the majority of them ask the software to do most of the work. The reason for this is that previous to spoon-fed content, the gaming community was very small, no where near the multi-billion dollar industy it is today. The POOL of people wanting to play games is much larger, but the majority of them want Angry Birds, another subset want WoW, and a very small number of them want Eve. Yes, as odd as it sounds, Eve's less than 1 million subscribers is considered small in the overall gaming industry, which is why they rolled out Incarna and a mass-apeal console game like Dust.

Yes, I'm talking numbers again. But lets go to the other extreme. who's going to have more fun solo online, 1 PVE player or 1 PV.. uh oh, hard to PVP with only 1 P. But put 2 solo PVE players online and the equation is the same, but 2 PVP players are going to have a lot more fun.